MSM Users, how much water are you drinking?

T

Tee

I can't seem to get over the detox symptoms of MSM. I did fine at 500mgs but now that I've increased to 1000mgs, I feel sick. I usually drink 64-72oz. of water a day. Is this sufficient? TIA!

Irresistible

Like i was saying i got sick of the MSM, water will help you to flush it out faster but wont take away the detox symptoms all together. so in other words you cant take 1000mg and drink a certain amount of water and have no detox symptoms , if its detoxing you , you are gonna feel it. it takes time for it to go through your system , water will help it go faster but not eliminate it....i feel for you, i was there and sick as a dog

T

Tee

Thanks, Irresistable! Actually, your previous post gave me a lot to think about. I'm going to experiment with dosages for a bit longer, but if I continue to feel like this, I may lower my dose back down to 500mgs or less, or even give it up altogether.

ThursdayGirl

You ladies have me wondering what brand you're taking. I tried Dr.'s Best at 1000 mg... and was ok. Prior to that I had whatever MSM was in my hair pills... (UltraNourishair, or Country Life Maxi-Hair). I didn't have the same problems. When I upped my dose to 2,000 mg... I sometimes got headaches.. but that's it. I'm sorry you're feeling that way though... maybe you need to move your doseage up more gradually
go to 500 mg... then 600.. 700 and so on.

T

Tee

I'm taking Dr.'s Best. I didn't have any symptoms at 500 mg, and 1000mg seemed to be ok when I was taking it every other day. But after I started to take it every day, I started feeling sick. I didn't get very bad headaches, but I was extremely nauseaus and felt kind of faint for a few hours after taking it. I guess I'm just sensitive to it, and I may be better off with very low doses.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
ThursdayGirl said:
You ladies have me wondering what brand you're taking. I tried Dr.'s Best at 1000 mg... and was ok. Prior to that I had whatever MSM was in my hair pills... (UltraNourishair, or Country Life Maxi-Hair). I didn't have the same problems. When I upped my dose to 2,000 mg... I sometimes got headaches.. but that's it. I'm sorry you're feeling that way though... maybe you need to move your doseage up more gradually
go to 500 mg... then 600.. 700 and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

the MSM in the hair vitamins is most likely not the pure form...i only took 1/4 of a 1000 mg capsule or less even and got very sick, see we all have different levels of toxins in our bodies, from old meds, even mercury from fillings, an active virus, a cold, parasites, smoking, alchohol, any kind of chemicals, really the types of possible toxins that could be in ones stytem are endless. especially in our environments today, so if your doing well on a high dose just means your level of toxins is probably low, cause trust me MSM does detox if its pure and its not a pretty sight. and dont feel nice at all. its alot more than just a headache, although thats a part of it.

G

What other side effects did you get, Irresistible? I mean besides the headaches, etc? You say its a lot more than that...

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
What other side effects did you get, Irresistible? I mean besides the headaches, etc? You say its a lot more than that...

[/ QUOTE ]

well girl i posted it on another post about MSM , but it was the headache, body aches, a very bad feeling , an edgy feeling, anxiety feeling (probably cause i was worried and didnt know if i would have to go to the hospital) faintness and upset stomach, that made me feel like i was gonna pass out when my bowels moved (thats the detox) as the toxins or moving through you feel them, you can even feel the effects of old meds etc. also any bugs in your system (bacteria or virus) when they die of release more toxins, making you sick.. ..MSM is pure food grade sulfur that was once upon a time found plentiful in plants and food, but is not any longer.....so our systems are not always equiped to handle such a pure grade of something that we never had before.....i think MSM does just what it says it will do and is worth trying, and i wish i could of stuck with it...but i was just way too sick from it...and although i want to try it again , im too scared....the detox that MSM can cause is called , herxheimer (something like that) effect...and its NOOO JOKE

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Makes me scared to try it. What is "herxheimer"?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can try it, just try it slow. what i mean by slow is open the capsule and the first day take only a little powder on your finger and wait and see, later or the next day, take a little more, etc. as long as you dont feel anything go to like half the powder in the capsule, then up to the full capsule...1000mg of anything is alot of mg's. just go slow. detoxing is actually a good thing..it just DOES NOT feel good at all!!!

they herxheimer effect (not sure if its spelled right) is the die off and/or release of the toxins , thats what makes you feel sick.

G

Do you have to take the MSM in water? I thought you could just swallow the whole capsule...anyway I think I might be sending the MSM back to the company I ordered them from. Detox is good but I'm scared to go through that. I read about people who detoxed their bodies of parasites and believe me those stories were horrifying..

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Do you have to take the MSM in water? I thought you could just swallow the whole capsule...anyway I think I might be sending the MSM back to the company I ordered them from. Detox is good but I'm scared to go through that. I read about people who detoxed their bodies of parasites and believe me those stories were horrifying..

[/ QUOTE ]

no you dont have to take it in water, thats just the test to see if its pure grade, if it disolves totally in the water in seconds leaving no powder on the top, if it does then its not pure and has some kind of fillers.....i meant just open the capsule and put a little on your finger or in your hand and then on your tongue....yeah any detox is awfull in how it feels...the thing is we all have toxins , cause we dont live in a bubble , and lets not talk about our foods.....i wish i could of handled it, i think it would be good to detox....but man it was just so awfull. lots of people take it just fine though, so just try it very slow.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
no you dont have to take it in water, thats just the test to see if its pure grade, if it disolves totally in the water in seconds leaving no powder on the top, if it does then its not pure and has some kind of fillers.....i meant just open the capsule and put a little on your finger or in your hand and then on your tongue....yeah any detox is awfull in how it feels...the thing is we all have toxins , cause we dont live in a bubble , and lets not talk about our foods.....i wish i could of handled it, i think it would be good to detox....but man it was just so awfull. lots of people take it just fine though, so just try it very slow.

[/ QUOTE ]

how i meant to type that is if it disolves totally, then its pure, if there is any powder at the top of the water, it has fillers and isnt pure

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I spoke to my doctor about msm before i started taking it. Believe it or not she was pretty up to date and knew alot about it and the detox symptoms. She told me that most people need to take a dose of vitamin c along with taking msm. Since vitamin c naturally sends you to the bathroom she recommended I take vitamin e instead. I take a vitamin e softgel when I take my powdered msm. I also take the msm a half hour before or while I'm eating to combat the upset stomach. I drink alot of water anyway so it wasn't hard for me to do this. I don't get headaches, or upset stomach. I broke out a little in the beginning but not having that problem anymore. I take 2000 mg daily and thinking of taking 3000 mg every other day in the next couple weeks. I am taking the vitamin shoppe optimsm because that's what my doctor sugessted I start with. Try taking with vitamin e and see if that helps. Good luck!

Armyqt

When I started taking my powedered MSM again, after a few weeks I started to detox. I didn't get any bad headaches to speak of, but I did get some flu symptoms. I had to take off work one day to get myself back together. I usually take 1,500mg of vit c with 5,000mg of MSM. I kept my MSM dosage the same and for that one day I took 6,000mg of vit c. I was able to go back to work the next day. In 2 days all my cold symptoms disappeared. My nails are growing like I don't know what and I feel great. It's a great supplement to take if you can get over the detox. Also to add, in Novemeber before I started taking MSM, I did a detox which probably helped me when I started taking MSM. hth

Armyqt

When I started taking my powedered MSM again, after a few weeks I started to detox. I didn't get any bad headaches to speak of, but I did get some flu symptoms. I had to take off work one day to get myself back together. I usually take 1,500mg of vit c with 5,000mg of MSM. I kept my MSM dosage the same and for that one day I took 6,000mg of vit c. I was able to go back to work the next day. In 2 days all my cold symptoms disappeared. My nails are growing like I don't know what and I feel great. It's a great supplement to take if you can get over the detox. Also to add, in Novemeber before I started taking MSM, I did a detox which probably helped me when I started taking MSM. hth

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:
I spoke to my doctor about msm before i started taking it. Believe it or not she was pretty up to date and knew alot about it and the detox symptoms. She told me that most people need to take a dose of vitamin c along with taking msm. Since vitamin c naturally sends you to the bathroom she recommended I take vitamin e instead. I take a vitamin e softgel when I take my powdered msm. I also take the msm a half hour before or while I'm eating to combat the upset stomach. I drink alot of water anyway so it wasn't hard for me to do this. I don't get headaches, or upset stomach. I broke out a little in the beginning but not having that problem anymore. I take 2000 mg daily and thinking of taking 3000 mg every other day in the next couple weeks. I am taking the vitamin shoppe optimsm because that's what my doctor sugessted I start with. Try taking with vitamin e and see if that helps. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

None of these will stop detox, only help it along...i took these same things every day already anyway....if you were one of the ones that was going to get the detox symptoms, these things wouldnt of changed it...only helped the process along.....detox, is detox is detox.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah if you did some other type of detoxing first it would of helped you to later tolerate the detox with MSM. the detox feels so horrible i just dont know if its really worth it....well i know i never tried it again , so i guess that says it all for me. i was so miserable. for now i take a totally comprehensive vitamin regimen that has done wonders....so the MSM i will have to consider later i guess....its a trip how some CANNOT tolerate this stuff at all even in the smallest amounts, while others can. and you will always here the good reports and the bad to go with them.

T

Tee

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Also to add, in Novemeber before I started taking MSM, I did a detox which probably helped me when I started taking MSM. hth

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Could you describe how you detoxed before starting MSM? Thanks!

Armyqt

For 3 days (my first time) I drank nothing but veggie juices, fruit juices, detox tea, and if I got really hungry I had some soup. That's it. I couldn't go any longer, but I know my body really benefited from it.

G

Did you make your own vegetable and fruit juice using a juicer? Also, did you consult a doctor first? I always heard that you are supposed to. I took some detox pills and I don't think they worked. But they have alot of better ones on the market so maybe I need to try something else.

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
Tee said:
I can't seem to get over the detox symptoms of MSM. I did fine at 500mgs but now that I've increased to 1000mgs, I feel sick. I usually drink 64-72oz. of water a day. Is this sufficient? TIA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tee ~
I'm sorry you're suffering adverse effects. I have never experienced the detoxification effects that seem to be common for MSM takers. I don't know the reason for this but I also drink anywhere from a gallon to 2 gallons of water every day (1 gallon = 3.78 litres).

sweetpea5000

I just started taking msm pills almost 2 weeks now...so far so good. I take 1 1000 mg capsule, along with 1 vitamin e, 1 omega 3, and 1 multi. I've been drinking about 8 cups of water each day too, and I haven't had any side effects other than the first day I got a really bad headache. I am going to try the dissolving test and see how much is filler, though.

I did read about msm before I started taking it, and I think it just reacts in people differently.

Here is an article I read, maybe it will help you, Tee

http://www.bulkmsm.com/research/msm/detoxification.htm

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I recently switched to the powder form of MSM and so far so good. I did get headaches and more allergy reactions from the capsules. I remember having headaches for about two weeks and I always drink alot of water.

HairFanatic01

Ladies I take 3000 mcg a day. and I don't get any sick feeling. So I guess it depends on the person. But I'm not too consistent with the capsules.

Adrieanne20

I was wondering if it mattered if i took the powder out of the capsules and just took it like that. Do the capsules really do anything, like protect my system or something, or is it for people who cant take the powder ? and does anyone thing i could receive better results doing this? or should i just stick with the capsules lol

T

Tee

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
Tee ~
I'm sorry you're suffering adverse effects. I have never experienced the detoxification effects that seem to be common for MSM takers. I don't know the reason for this but I also drink anywhere from a gallon to 2 gallons of water every day (1 gallon = 3.78 litres).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Nyambura.
It probably wouldn't hurt to increase my water intake and see if that makes any difference. I'll work on increasing my water intake first, and then slowly introduce the MSM again.

T

Tee

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
For 3 days (my first time) I drank nothing but veggie juices, fruit juices, detox tea, and if I got really hungry I had some soup. That's it. I couldn't go any longer, but I know my body really benefited from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Lindy! It does make sense to do some sort of mild detox first so that the MSM doesn't completely overwhelm your system. I need to look into this.