NATURALS- How do you comb your hair in the shower?

soslychic

I see that a lot of people are having success with combing their hair in the shower with conditioner and it and although this sounds like the best method, I can't for the life of me imagine how I would do that. I'm transitioning and it takes forever to comb my hair as is and when I'm all natural, sectioning and clipping and combing from ends to roots seems like it would be impractical. Are their any transitioners/naturals who have had success with this? Will you please share your method with me?

phynestone

When I was natural, I would comb my hair in sections with my hair coated in conditioner. My hair would plaited in about 6-8 braids and I would take one down, put conditioner on it, comb it out and rebraid it. Hope this helps.

Chimma

Hmm, I'm a transitioner. I've never done the sectioning, braiding, etc. method simply because it seems too complicated.

I comb my hair in the shower every once in a while. It is easier to comb with the showerhead running, but I usually just dampen my hair so it isn't dry and detangle outside of the shower with my conditioner and I don't find it difficult although it takes longer than straight hair. I've done that every day this week.

My hair doesn't look much more combed after it is combed, but it doesn't get too tangled either when it's not combed. When I am a full natural, I am not planning to comb my hair too frequently simply because combing my hair when it isn't very very wet makes it a frizzy type of straight and I don't seem to have much coil anymore. I think I will detangle once a week or as needed, but I've asked other naturals and several do the shake and go or twists or other styles that don't need much manipulation so they don't need to comb daily.

Chimma

Did you do the sections in order to stretch the hair or because you thought it was too hard to comb when it wasn't in sections?

loverofnaps71

Add Pantene Relaxed and Natural. Allow to sit in my hair until I've finished washing my body, hears, *stuff*, ears and feet. Then begin combing, section by section. By this time, the comb just glides through my hair and I can comb freely, rinsing off my entire body as I comb through the hair. It only takes no more than 3-5 minutes to comb completely through. It's actually a very cathartic experience...

DragonPearl

IMO, the way you wash your natural/transitional can make the difference between conserving lenght and losing it. I ALWAYS section my hair in 4 or at the very least in 2 before I wash it, and I use hair bands to hold each part together. ALWAYS. It makes detangling way easier.
One time I tried to wash my hair without sectioning it, my hair was a tangled mess.
And of course, I don't have to tell you to start detangling your conditioner-soaked hair with a wide tooth comb, starting from the ends, and working gently toward the roots. Some nappies like to use a Denman brush instead of a wide tooth comb.

HonEB

I always wash, condition and rinse my hair in sections. I use Nexxus Ensure which helps to detangle my hair. I also find the comb slides easier through my hair when water form the shower is falling on it.

soslychic

Great guys. I'll give it a try and try not to be so impatient. It's just that my water starts to get cold after I'm done with all that

deeplyrooted

i do the same as all of the other nappturals, but i've noticed that all i really need to do is concentrate on saturating the ends of my hair with conditioner. i put conditioner on the rest of my hair (but concentrate on the ends like i mentioned), but the ends give me the most grief, so i put more there. then i finger comb in the
, and my fingers glide through with ease. i always use the deep moisturizing mane 'n tail conditioner for daily conditioner washes or my aveda sap moss shampoo and paul mitchell the detangler weekly though. both of these combos work wonders on detangling my hair. i can part my hair for braids or twists with ease when i follow this method. i only lose about 4-5 hairs while doing this, so the proof is in the pudding.
no parting, just conditioner on the hair, let it sit for a little while, then finger comb through. no more manipulation needed. no cold showers.

bananabea

COMBING MY HAIR IN THE SHOWER IS THE BEST THING TO DO FOR ME....IF I TRY TO COMB OUT MY HAIR WHILE DRY, I'LL BE BALD. I USE DARK & LOVELY SHAMPOO. IT'S THE ONLY SHAMPOO I CAN USE AND IT DOESN'T DRY OUT MY HAIR.

TinyT

I put my hair in 4 sections and secure with clips. I shampoo each section, and clip back, then put conditoner on each section and clip back. I proceed with my shower, and then let the water run over the clipped hair to rinse a bit. The conditioner that is left is my leave-in, then I add oil, and moisturizer and I am done. If I don't do sections I will have issues and lots of hair in the comb or brush.

alibi

hair bored
I don't section my hair when I comb through. But I have found that using shampoos and conditioners with maximum slip is the only way to go. I only comb out when in the shower, and then it's with the water running. Using a shampoo with no SLS has been CRUCIAL during my transitioning - my hair is virtually tangle free before I even put in the conditioner. I use Pantene S & S, I have the biggest bottle, and I saturate my hair from root to tip, pin up while I shower, then comb through with a wide toothed comb and rinse. I've never had to section my hair as long as I use my wide tooth comb.

missykeyana

Sometimes I detangle before rinsing out a deep conditioner. I "section", not using bands, but just grabbing a section and detangling. I start at the nape and work my way forward. And using a conditioner with maximum slip is a must -- I'm currently using Daily Defense Tender Apple.

Height

[ QUOTE ]
19sweetie said:
When I was natural, I would comb my hair in sections with my hair coated in conditioner. My hair would plaited in about 6-8 braids and I would take one down, put conditioner on it, comb it out and rebraid it. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this too except don't unbraid and comb my hair. I could never re-braid it w/all that condition on it, too slippery.
I never comb my hair dry.

Valerie

I could my hair out, in the shower. I have two combs, I use, one specifically for combing my conditioner through, that is a wide teeth comb. Another comb, for combing my dry hair in order to style it, which has wide double teeth, also I spray my hair with a mixture of glycerine, rosewater, castor oil, olive oil, aloe vera gel and water. My hair is a lot easier to comb and it is less likely to break.

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
I don't section my hair when I comb through. But I have found that using shampoos and conditioners with maximum slip is the only way to go. I only comb out when in the shower, and then it's with the water running. Using a shampoo with no SLS has been CRUCIAL during my transitioning - my hair is virtually tangle free before I even put in the conditioner. I use Pantene S & S, I have the biggest bottle, and I saturate my hair from root to tip, pin up while I shower, then comb through with a wide toothed comb and rinse. I've never had to section my hair as long as I use my wide tooth comb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi ayanapooh
Could you tell me what the detergents for the s and s pantene shampoo are?

soulchild

soslychick, i think she meant she uses the Sleek and Smooth conditioner, not shampoo. Here are the ingredients though:

Water, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
, Glycol Distearate, Cocamide MEA, Fragrance, Cetyl Alcohol, Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Citrate, Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

alibi

hair bored
I'm sorry Soslychic,

My post wasn't as clear as it should have been! I don't use S & S shampoo, which does have SLS in it. I only use the conditioner. I tried the shampoo b/c it came free w/ my first bottle of S & S conditioner, but it was way too harsh for my hair. The shampoo that I am currently in LOVE with is called "Exxit Shampoo" and it's by a line called Shea Care. It is OFF THE HOOK! I think the no SLS and the Shea Butter in it really help. When I wash my hair with it, my hair feels super conditioned before I even add the conditioner. I could comb through it at this point, although I don't. Anyways, then I follow with Pantene S & S. Hope that answers your question!

DelightfulFlame

[ QUOTE ]
loverofnaps71 said:
Add Pantene Relaxed and Natural. Allow to sit in my hair until I've finished washing my body, hears, *stuff*, ears and feet. Then begin combing, section by section. By this time, the comb just glides through my hair and I can comb freely, rinsing off my entire body as I comb through the hair. It only takes no more than 3-5 minutes to comb completely through. It's actually a very cathartic experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me!

Zoe

I make sure my hair isn't tangled BEFORE I get in the shower

Then I wash and condition my hair..

While my hair is wet and the conditioner is still in..I take a wide tooth comb and start from the back..

It works wonders...

miss_brown

I don't section while washing or conditioning, but I do section before detangling. As everyone else said, you have got to use a slippery conditioner and SATURATE EVERY STRAND before detangling. Usually I use a shower comb or my fake Denman brush, combing from the ends up.

loverofnaps71

Thanks, DelightfulFrame. I've heard that the best way to comb natural hair is always when wet and with some kind of moisturizer. Remember the hair is extremely fragile. For us naturals, the fragility increases due to dryness. You don't really have to section; I just do because I find that I get a GOOD conditioning that way. Also, when you allow the conditioner to penetrate (between 3-5 minutes) the comb will just glide through the hair. My hair has increasingly thickened, due to overall good health, so it does require a bit more time to comb out than it did when it was short. But moisture is KEY. Remember to comb from the end, then work your way up to the root. NEVER comb beginning at the root! OUCH!!!

soslychic

Thanks to all the responses. It looks like I'm the only one that has experiences strange results. It seems that when I comb my hair WITH the conditioner in my comb dosn't glide through as easily, but if the conditioner is already rinsed out, especially if I add a detangling leave in, my hair just feels easier to manage and comb through. I dunno, maybe when I'm all natural, my hair will react differently.

silvergirl

i use a shampoo comb while in the shower, while i part my hair in two like im making pigtails. i think im the only person i know that combs out her hair with shampoo instead of conditioner, lol. my shampoo an conditioner both have the same amount of "slip" an i like to get the combing part out of the way b4 i slather my hair in conditioner, it works better for my this way.