Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2007, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Have you ever had a pronto weave???

I used to get pronto weaves... where your hair is dried hard with gel and then whatever type of hair is then glued on top of that, directly to your hair. I know some of you are cringing. Anyway, I did those "pronto" weaves for a few months, pre-lhcf... and my hair acutally grew quite a bit... maybe because of the low manipulation during the 3 weeks I left them in. So tell me your thoughts on "pronto" weaves... good or bad.. and if bad do you know of any healthy way to install one???
Old 11-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Re: Have you ever had a pronto weave???

Not to be mean...

I knew this ghetto lady who would wear one. They NEVER looked good. Plus, how is that comfortable????
Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

Glue and hair is a bad combo IMO. And gel dries your hair out....not washing for 3 weeks can't be all that great either.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Thanked 6,222 Times in 1,762 Posts
Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 43 Thread(s)

A quick weave? I've never had one done with the gel and the glue. I've just had tracks glued in between my own hair while it was out. I wouldn't do it now but I know people who still wear them. One of my gfs gets her weaves done like that and it always looks good. She has a short hair cut though. Have you thought about getting a sew in? I think that's a much better choice.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreflyygirl View Post
A quick weave? I've never had one done with the gel and the glue. I've just had tracks glued in between my own hair while it was out. I wouldn't do it now but I know people who still wear them. One of my gfs gets her weaves done like that and it always looks good. She has a short hair cut though. Have you thought about getting a sew in? I think that's a much better choice.
Should I show her my fotki pics from back in the day when I did the glue-ins?

I don't want to scare her away tho.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Thanked 6,222 Times in 1,762 Posts
Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 43 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy1214 View Post
Should I show her my fotki pics from back in the day when I did the glue-ins?

I don't want to scare her away tho.
You might want to. I called myself doing that for Halloween bc I was being lazy. I glued that hair in at the last minute. But I didn't do it good enough and it started falling out all over the place by the end of the week. Thank goodness I didn't jack up my hair in the process. I had a hard time getting the glue out around the edges. I'll never do that again. I always had a stylist glue in pieces for me before if I needed it. Now that I think about it they never stayed for long though.

One of my friends gets hers done like that all the time though and I can't even lie, her hair is always on point. Her hairdresser is good. And charges double the price for sew ins.

Last edited by glamazon386; 11-28-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:21 PM

I've had several on them, I now know how damaging they can be, but honestly girls, I didnt really see any damage. This post was triggered from a post earlier today asking about the dumbest, pre-LHCF thing you did to your hair. And I will admit this was it. However, like I said, i didnt see any damage from it. I say all of this to say, I would love to have one right now. They look good when done right and my (curly hair) would last 3 weeks. I work out so by the time it was time to take it out, the tracks would slide right off my gelled up hair. BUT their would be bits and pieces of gel stuck and combing those out, I would lose a lot of hair. You know what, when I say no damage from these, I mean no obvious breakage, but now that i think about it, my hair was a LOT thinner, so THAT was probably my "damage" OK the light is on now!!

Anyhoo, I agree with another poster, quick weaves when done right can be on point!

Oh yeah, wanna know what was worst, to really get the gel and glue particles out of my hair at home, I would wash with dishwashing liquid... OK you guys are probably laughing at me, but that got my hair residue free... interesting.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

Check out this link. She is doing a pronto weave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAcGUMn8zbU
Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've had them done several times but a lil different (applying directly to the hair is the old school method). We call it "getting a cap" where I'm from. We use a stocking cap over sanex strips that are wrapped around the hair after its geled (we call it being molded). I never had any damage b/c even before LHCF I always did somwhat care about my hair's health. I would go to the shop pre-molded with darn near the whole pack of strips.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_n_ATL76 View Post
I've had them done several times but a lil different (applying directly to the hair is the old school method). We call it "getting a cap" where I'm from. We use a stocking cap over sanex strips that are wrapped around the hair after its geled (we call it being molded). I never had any damage b/c even before LHCF I always did somwhat care about my hair's health. I would go to the shop pre-molded with darn near the whole pack of strips.

NJ please provide more detail... I guess in Denver we are slow, because I havent heard of Sanex strips and dont know how to use them, but it seems like what you are describing may be a healthy way for a pronto and I would love to rock them again! Please share some more detail.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

The ladies in the flea market salons use this technique down here in Miami. SUPER GHETTO-fabulous 'dos! I must admit in high school i rocked them a couple of times!

I agree with what NJ_n_ATL76 described. maybe it would be "safer" to do this with a wig cap over your own hair and bond the tracks onto the cap so that you don't get so much glue on your hair. This way you can omit all that gell all together.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell4624 View Post
NJ please provide more detail... I guess in Denver we are slow, because I havent heard of Sanex strips and dont know how to use them, but it seems like what you are describing may be a healthy way for a pronto and I would love to rock them again! Please share some more detail.

These are the strips. When guys go to the barber shop they're the strips the he puts around their neck before putting on the cape. They're sold in Sally's or your local BSS.
* First you either put you hair in 1 or 2 french braids (some people do a ponytail) *Gel it all up (to the max!) w/protien gel- "the black gel".
*Apply the strips all around the circumference of your head, they should stick if not just use a little dab of gel to keep them together
*Put the stocking cap on top and spritz all over
*Now make sure you have a book or something cause your gonna be sitting under the dryer FOREVER!
*Once dried it should feel like paper mache, real hard and crunchy.
*Apply the tracks according to your desired style.

I don't recommend this method if you plan on having you cap on for over 2 weeks. Since hardly any glue touches your hair once you begin to sweat and stuff the gel loosens up which causes the cap to rise and it starts to just look bad, especially short cuts.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM

Although the method may sound "Ghetto-Fabulous", you can achieve beautiful soft styles ie: pincurls, bobs, etc. I've NEVER had a hard fried cap. Here's a couple of pics of me with my caps.

tanesha1.jpg

nene.jpg
Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katote View Post
Check out this link. She is doing a pronto weave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAcGUMn8zbU
It doesn't look too good for the hair, but I've got to admit that her hair looked good afterward! It suited her features very well.