Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2003, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How long does it take to have long natural hair?

How long does it take to have like shoulder length or longer natural 4a/4b hair when the hair is unchemically treated, not straightened, and not wet? I have been growing out a relaxer for about 10 months. My relaxed hair reaches to a few inches short of bra-strap length when straightened. My natural hair grows in very thick and at normal rate when stretched, but it seems that it is going to take a long long time before I have a glorious head full of natural hair.

I didn't want to cut off my relaxed hair until I had a LOT of natural hair, and I have been patiently enduring the entire transitioning process for almost a year. My long-term desire is to have bra-strap long natural hair , and seeing all the shrinkage issues - I am wondering - is this a reasonable goal? How much longer will I be waiting? 1 year, 2 years, 5 years? Does anyone on this forum have 4a/4b bra strap long natural hair when unstraightened?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:18 AM

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,054 Posts
Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 32 Thread(s)
Default Re: How long does it take to have long natural hair?

Well it's really hard to say because everyone has slight differences in curl patterns and shrinkage. But a general pattern I've noticed with myself and other naturals is that just-above SD or shoulder length natural hair = just-above BS or BS b-dried/pressed, and just-aboveBS/BS/below BS natural hair= waist/just below waist b-dried/pressed hair, waist natural=butt-length pressed, and so on. This is only my opinion and what I've noticed it's not a rule, but it will give you something to go by.
i do think you can reach your goal but you will need plenty of patience and if you want to speed it up check out some hair vitamins-do a search. here's a site: www.hairformula37.com

hth
Old 11-13-2003, 01:46 AM

Thanked 29,371 Times in 3,428 Posts
Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)

I honestly think it will take awhile unless you stretch it. I am 3b/c and therefore a looser curl pattern and my hair is two inches above brastrap but shoulder length while natural. And from what I have seen, I have alot less shrinkage than some naturals. Also, do you have hair that grows out or down? If your hair grows out moer than down, it will be even that much longer to have hair that sits on your shoulder without any manipulation. It took about two years for me to get and even shoulder length natural style. For me to get to brastrap natural hair, I estimate another 2-3 year (by then I should be wat waist length pressed). So that is a total of 4-5 years for me. depending on how bad your shrinkage is, it could be more or less. But if you have 4a/b hair, I would bet on more time before less.

And don't let this discourage you. There are ways to stretch the hair out and still have the same natural look! Every minute, everyday, every month is a step closer to your goal and you will STILL be there before you know it!
Old 11-13-2003, 05:27 AM

Yeah, it's going to take a while. I'm a 3c/4a with so much shrinkage it's ridiculous. My hair is past my brastrap when straightened- but when it's natural and dry it's not even to my shoulders. I'm seriously considering getting a texturizer, because I love the texture but I'm tired of the poofy frizziness. The only way that my hair retains any length is if I put in gel and do some serious finger styling.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:22 PM

I agree that it will take a while. I have bra-clasp length hair (stretched) that shrinks to shoulder length.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Re: How long does it take to have long natural hai

its gonna take a minute. den1 has waist length hair when stretched and i think its around bs when shrunken.
im get frustrated because my hair gains length but its hard to tell since my shrinkage is so much. but keep the faith- someday we will have long glorious hair!
Old 11-13-2003, 01:48 PM

Thanked 2,061 Times in 421 Posts
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 98 Thread(s)

My hair was just below my ears in 10/02 now it's on my shoulders and some areas are a little past shoulder length.

My hair looks like nappy waves when unmanipulated and totally dry and when combed out, it shapes out into a big fro.

I think the intense moisturizing treatments and minimal use of heat (I alternate btwn pressing and natural) is the reason for my growth.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:59 PM

my hair is shouler lenght in its natural state and past bra strap when streched out. i went natural in summer of 98. I would have been waist lenght by now if i didnt a few hair "accidents". with good care i figure it should take you about 2-3 years to reach bra strap depending on how fast your hair grows including trims and shedding.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:32 PM
honey_jammz82

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Yes, it is hard to tell...it depends also on how tight your coils are. My friend has mid-back natural hair which she typically wears pressed, but when she washes it, it coils up very tight to about shoulder length. I guess it just takes a lot of patience?!
Old 11-13-2003, 04:44 PM

Thanks for all the input! It seems that shoulder length natural hair will take me 1-2 more years, and bra strap length about 5 considering that it is waist length pressed hair. Damn I have a long way to go! I hope that in 2 years I will even remember my goal. lol
Old 11-13-2003, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I agree with the rest of these ladies response. It depends on your hair type. I am mixture of 3b/3c/4a, and my hair never goes past my shoulders when dry. My hair touches my shoulders if i wear it in a bun. But if i don't my hair barely touches my shoulders, and i am approaching waist length hair. No matter how long my hair grow, it shrinks above my shoulders because i am learning my hair grows up and outward.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:11 PM

bump for soslychic
Old 12-16-2003, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thank you Chimma. Great thread. I must have missed it.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Just before I texturized my hair was 1 inch from shoulderlength. When I straightened it was 4 inches from brastrap.

Now with the texturizer my hair is shoulderlength on the sides a passed shoulderlength in the back.

I had 35% shrinkage when I was natural and my hair shrunk up so that my length was about 3.5 inches shorter than it actually was.

Edited to add if I wasn't texturized I would be shoulderlength in the back but shorter on the sides now. It would have taken me 18 months.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Overcomer; Never a victim

Thanked 11,049 Times in 3,440 Posts
Mentioned: 529 Post(s)
Tagged: 40 Thread(s)

It took me about 24 months to grow my natural to shoulder lenghth..but that was before I bumped into this board. I think if I knew then, what I know now, the time would've been a bit shorter. I'm thinking of growing again, now.. so I know what to expect.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Shrinkage is a hard taskmaster or mistress!!!! Am I am not lovin' it!!! And you know what I just did, i braided up the back and pinned it up in a bun. I just don't want to deal with the frustration right now and hopefully I will get some super growth in the next couple of months. I just do not want to look at it right now or be tempted to do something to it on a whim. Bonjour
Old 07-28-2004, 05:53 AM

Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

This is hard to answer for me because I didn't exactly shave my head when starting to grow natural, and I've had some road bumps along the way. I started in '99 and as of today my hair stretches to my shoulders, and if blow dried would be an 1" or so past my shoulders. But I wouldn't say it took me 5 years to get there.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:17 PM

I will be natural for two years coming this August. I battle with a lot of shrinkage and oftentimes I am befuddled and a bit frustrated because I think my hair is not growing. However, as I began to experiment with other styles, rather than just my trademark afro puff, I noticed that my hair IS long. For the last two years, I was convinced that naturals had to keep their hair trimmed often. So, every six weeks or so, I would cut about 1/4 of an inch, sometimes more. My natural hairstylist recently told me that trimming this often was unnecessary, and could in fact stifle growth. So, now here I am; and I have about 10 inches of healthy, nappy hair. I realize that with better care and unncessary trims, my hair could've been a lot longer. Now that I do a lot of two-strand twist-outs, I am seeing a lot more length and others are commenting on how healthy and long my hair is...

Just hang in there and keep treating your naps right. Take care of your body and drink lots of water and exercise...
Old 07-28-2004, 01:56 PM

Thanked 12,447 Times in 1,239 Posts
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)

I have about 50% shrinkage right now. Maybe as it grows out, the shrinkage percentage will decrease some.

I want to be able to wear a twistout where the hair reaches almost to my bra strap. I'm guessing that it would be almost waistlength when straightened. To reach that goal, it will probably take another 3-4 years. The question is, can I grow my hair to my waist?

-Ebony
Old 07-28-2004, 07:38 PM

It would take I think 3 years for type 3b-4b hair and mabe two for wavey and ligther curled hair. But when you straighten it. It should be bra strap or longer.