Air drying with a Roller Set - How long does it take?

NYLegalNewbie

For those of you who air dry with rollers...how long does it take you? What are the results once you do it? Is it smoother than when you do it without rollers?

crlsweetie912

For those of you who air dry with rollers...how long does it take you? What are the results once you do it? Is it smoother than when you do it without rollers?
I do mine overnight. Sometimes (my hair is really thick) I have to sit under the dryer for 5-10 minutes in the am. But not usually. I get the same results. No difference. HTH.

Artemis

I definitely want to airdry my rollersets sometimes, but sleeping in large magnetic rollers...???

Um...:lachen:

Basically, I don't see that happening. :look:

Good on you for doing it, though.

lollyoo

i sort of do half and half-
I cant sit under thedryer for 1 hour- stay in dryer for 30 min- then i do laundry, clean house etc. may be 1-2hrs work.
I then go back to dryer for 5-10min- voila set ready

BAP28

i couldn't imagine air-drying with rollers unless you live in a location that has a humid climate-- but sitting in the house with wet hair in rollers you will be air drying forever--how about sit under the dryer on a low setting and you should be good to go...

airdrying in the summer time i can understand..but other than that it would take forever unless you can sleep in rollers...

Sweet_Ambrosia

I don't rollerset too often, but it's usually an overnight process. The results are good, my hair comes out semi-straight, my hair is natural so the bone straight look isn't on my hair menu too often. :lol: I don't mine that it takes so long because airdrying works for me, plus I don't think I have the patience to sit under a hot dryer for 2 hrs straight. :look:

sikora

My hair is neck length and not super thick so if I rollerset by 10pm, my hair would be dry by 6:30 the next morning. There may be one or two damp ends, but overall it's dry.

Artemis

I agree that sitting under the dryer on low is better than airdrying, even if for half time (in terms of waiting for set to dry).

Tonight I sat under on low/cool (alternating) and it took longer than usual, ~1.5 hrs (I usu. do medium--45 min.) but my hair came out super soft! I'm gonna keep using this temp.

I wonder if using a serum helps speed up airdrying time like it does w/heat styling? (PM Super Skinny in particular) :scratchch

Last edited:

dillard

i always airdry my rollersets overnight. so i guess it takes a good 7 hrs or so. My hair ends are much thicker when I do this compared to when I airdry my hair feels a lot thinner...

When I air dry my rollersets it takes between 10-12hrs. My hair is about 4 inches past bra strap. I think that when I sit under the dryer my sets are more firm. I hate sleeping with rollers, and I hate sitting under the dryer. I actually have a soft bonnet dryer. But sometimes it just is too hot to sit under it.

I need to look into those pillow rollers. Maybe I can flat iron my hair and use those to add some body.

cici22

I agree that sitting under the dryer on low is better than airdrying, even if for half time (in terms of waiting for set to dry).

Tonight I sat under on low/cool (alternating) and it took longer than usual, ~1.5 hrs (I usu. do medium--45 min.) but my hair came out super soft! I'm gonna keep using this temp.

I wonder if using a serum helps speed up airdrying time like it does w/heat styling? (PM Super Skinny in particular) :scratchch

Yea, the lower I have the heat setting, the softer my hair is too.:yep:

OP- When I airdry, I usually airdry overnight. By the time I wake up my hair is completely dry. I don't know exactly how long it takes but I'd say about 6 or 7 hours. My hair comes out a lot smoother when I use rollers compared to airdrying without rollers. :)

Artemis

Yea, the lower I have the heat setting, the softer my hair is too.:yep:

OP- When I airdry, I usually airdry overnight. By the time I wake up my hair is completely dry. I don't know exactly how long it takes but I'd say about 6 or 7 hours. My hair comes out a lot smoother when I use rollers compared to airdrying without rollers. :)

Ehh, this is just endorsing the fact that I need to get a Pibbs 514. Having such a variable temp control is the justifying factor in dropping all that dough :drunk: That way I can dry at a lower temp, but in a reasonable amt of time. *runs off to go count pennies in piggybank*

Isis

I started out on this board airdrying overnight and I'm very used to sleeping in them. I still prefer airdrying in a rollerset overnight but now I time it well. I roll up my hair earlier in the evening, long before my bed time so I have more hours to dry.

To answer the queston, the time it takes to airdry depends on the length of hair, the humidity in the air (more humidity takes much longer) and the porosity of the hair.