Don't sleep on deep conditioning dry hair...with heat!

sareca

I know, I know, conditioning dry hair isn't new but if you haven't tried it with heat you're missing out!

I know what ya'll thinking... first I'm putting oil on my hair after I poo (oil rinse) and now I'm deep conditioning dry hair with heat. All I can say is try it. The first time I did it, I was just feelin' lazy and didn't want to oil rinse first. So instead I put my favorite moisturizing conditioner (aveda) on my dry hair, put a cap on it, and got under the dryer. Sounds like it wouldn't do a thing, but it was amazing. It worked much better than conditioning wet hair even overnight.

I didn't do anything special to my hair first. It was in a dry bun. I took it down, put a silver dollar sized amount of condish on, put a bag over it, and sat under the dryer for 10-15 minutes (less time than usual) then rinsed. I followed with an oil rinse using the same conditioner again just to help me get some of the oil out... and tada magic! It's the same effect I usually get magnified by 10! Not only is it less time under the dryer, but it's less manipulation, you don't have to get in and out of the shower and it works BETTER than dc'g on wet hair and WAY better than dc'g dry hair without heat.

Last edited:

LovelyLionessa

I've got a tub of ORS Hair Mayo that I gonna try as a deep conditioning pre-poo. It's been ages since I've used this product and I think it would really work well this way.

It makes sense, Ojon Restorative Treatment and Aubrey Organics conditioners have instructions to use them this way.

ETA: Well they don't mention the heat part but you get the drift.

newflowers

I know this works well with Phytosesame and Ojon Restorative. It's like our hair is even happier because the conditioner works better. And yes, losing the need to jump in and out of the shower is a bonus. Like you, I discovered this one day when I was being lazy, and I love it.​

Diya

I totally agree that pre-pooing/deep conditioning on dry hair works wonders! I've been doing this lately with my Aubrey Organics conditioners and I see so much more of an effect than I ever did DC'ing on wet hair... and it sure beats jumping in an out of the shower! :drunk:

Lady Esquire

I know, I know, deep conditioning dry hair isn't new but if you haven't tried it with heat you're missing out!

I know what ya'll thinking... first I'm putting oil on my hair after I poo (oil rinse) and now I'm deep conditioning dry hair with heat. All I can say is try it. The first time I did it, I was just feelin' lazy and didn't want to oil rinse first. So instead I put my favorite moisturizing conditioner (aveda) on my dry hair, put a cap on it, and got under the dryer. Sounds like it wouldn't do a thing, but it was amazing. It worked much better than conditioning wet hair even overnight.

I didn't do anything special to my hair first. It was in a dry bun. I took it down, put a silver dollar sized amount of condish on, put a bag over it, and sat under the dryer for 10-15 minutes (less time than usual) then rinsed. I followed with an oil rinse and the same conditioner again just to help me get some of the oil out... and tada magic! It's the same effect I usually get magnified by 10! Not only is it less time under the dryer, but it's less manipulation, you don't have to get in and out of the shower and it works BETTER than heat on wet hair.

i agree. i am sitting under the dryer with rollers as i type. i prepoo'd on dry hair (but first i sprayed some plain water on the stubborn parts cause i am approaching 6 months post relaxer).

i prepoo'd w/coconut milk, evoo, ors replenishing pak, mane 'n tail condish, and honey. wrapped a warm towel around my plastic cap for about 20 mins under the hooded dryer.

then i clarified, shampooed, conditioned (while i cleaned myself) w/nexxus humectress for about 5 mins. and i used a dime-size of roux porosity control to finish off, and then i rollerset it. i have somewhere to go tomorrow and i have not washed my hair in about 10 days or so. my hair felt great considering i have a bush of ng.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
So when you deep con dry, what do you do to your hair after washing? Just use a rinse, or what?

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Totally on the money, Sareca. :yep: I use this method most often with protein treatments. My hair just sucks it up when it's dry, so I get a much more effective treatment. I can really feel the effects! I honestly haven't noticed as much as a difference with moisturizing conditioners, but deep protein conditioners...wow! Even the cheapies work well. :)

Mestiza

I've heard so many great things about deep conditioning on dry hair. I have no choice but to give it a try on my next hair wash.

sareca

So when you deep con dry, what do you do to your hair after washing? Just use a rinse, or what?

I do oil rinse which includes using a regular conditioner.

The procedure without an oil rinse would be: on dry hair deep condition w/ heat, rinse, apply instant/regular conditioner, rinse.

Neroli

Been doing this for years when I co-wash only and it is great. :yep: I don't apply heat tho, I just saturate dry hair with any condish, cover with plastic and then put a towel turban style over the plastic for 30 minutes or more, rinse, squeeze dry and ready for leave ins. This is my quick, down and dirty wash day when I don't have lots of time. The combo of plastic + towel generates awesome heat from body temp that's fast and moist like steam, pretty incredible.

sareca

Oh wow, a lot of ya'll are doing this already.:sweet: Don't skip the heat.

Metiza, let us know how it goes.

brownsugarflyygirl

I agree. I think that this is due to the fact that when your hair is wet, water fills in some of the available space in the hair shaft, so the conditioner has to get it where it can fit in. However, when your hair is dry, the conditioner can get down in btw the cuticles better.

At least thats my theory and Im sticking to it :grin:

Sareca....you are funny. You are forever telling us what not to SLEEP on.

gorgeoushair

I know, I know, conditioning dry hair isn't new but if you haven't tried it with heat you're missing out!

I didn't do anything special to my hair first. It was in a dry bun. I took it down, put a silver dollar sized amount of condish on, put a bag over it, and sat under the dryer for 10-15 minutes (less time than usual) then rinsed. I followed with an oil rinse using the same conditioner again just to help me get some of the oil out... and tada magic! It's the same effect I usually get magnified by 10! Not only is it less time under the dryer, but it's less manipulation, you don't have to get in and out of the shower and it works BETTER than dc'g on wet hair and WAY better than dc'g dry hair without heat.

Would this qualify as a deep conditoner being that you only used a silver dollar amount of conditioner. I thought it took more conditioner on dry hair. Did you just put it on your ends? How much conditioner do you use on wet hair?

Proudpiscean

Totally on the money, Sareca. :yep: I use this method most often with protein treatments. My hair just sucks it up when it's dry, so I get a much more effective treatment. I can really feel the effects! I honestly haven't noticed as much as a difference with moisturizing conditioners, but deep protein conditioners...wow! Even the cheapies work well. :)

This is exactly what I have noticed too! :yep:
Aubrey Organics GPB on dry hair with heat is magical :love:

tapioca_pudding

Im gonna give this a shot!!!! I know everyone seems to love ORS Mayo on dry hair. This is a moisture week for me so Im gonna try it w/ my Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose. I think the directions say apply it to dry hair neway.

audacious1

(but first i sprayed some plain water on the stubborn parts cause i am approaching 6 months post relaxer).

hmmmm, you've just inspired me to do a six month stretch. I just did a 4 month stretch, what's two more months?

that's just what I say now though :perplexed

AwesomelyNappy

I've been doing this on wet hair after washing it, but i think i'll try it on dry hair with deep conditioner next time! Thanks for the tip... this may actually save time!!! :)

InnerSoul

This is the only way I deep condition is with heat, but this is done after my hair is freshly shampoo'd on wet hair!! I use UBH deep con. and it is very moisturizing...it does wonders for my hair.:yep:

but I may try it on dry hair one day, thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
why did I not read this thread 30 minutes ago before I jumped into the shower to co-wash. Darn. I will try it though on thursday.Thanks for the idea.

LovelyLionessa

This would be the perfect way to get your protein moisture balance all in one wash too.

deep condition on dry hair with protein
poo
follow up with moisturizing conditioner

longhairluva

why did I not read this thread 30 minutes ago before I jumped into the shower to co-wash. Darn. I will try it though on thursday.Thanks for the idea.

i even co-wash on dry hair.:grin: It's the best thing I have changed in my regimine. Dc'ing on dry hair is the way to go.

ladytq

Sareca

During the week I get a substantial amount of product build up. I put oils, butters, and Longaid activator gel throughtout the week.

I was wondering with all the above build up, will my hair still benefit from deep conditioning on dry on DIRTY hair?

sareca

Sareca

During the week I get a substantial amount of product build up. I put oils, butters, and Longaid activator gel throughtout the week.

I was wondering with all the above build up, will my hair still benefit from deep conditioning on dry on DIRTY hair?

That's a good point. I co-wash pretty often and don't use a lot of product. :confused:

Last edited:

Cleve_gryl

I'm trying this tonight!! I'm kinda excited about not having to get in the shower twice :look:. I'll post results after the wash...