Castor Oil! I'm a believer!

Energee

Yes, I'm a true believer now! I'm not a PJ and I basically use the same products I've used since before joining this board and that won't change. When something works for me I stick to it.

However, when I saw castor oil mentioned several times here I thought I'd give that a try because it is an oil I'd thought of using previously but had never tried and it is one that I thought would actually work for me. I ordered some and used it just the other day for my Wednesday wash. I used it as an 'oil wash' (shampoo..put oil on my NG and end mainly--let it sit--applied conditioner a few minutes later--washed it out--deep conditioned under dryer--put in my fav moisture leave in--applied a light coating of castor oil mainly to my ends again--rollerset) and voila! My hair is soft and well moisturized even 3 days after my wash. Usually my hair gets dry--especially the NG by the 2nd day and def the third day--so much so that I feel like washing again and usually do. Now I don't feel the need. I feel like I can wait a day or two to wash again.

I also have very little-no breakage...just a few shed hairs. I'm a believer--castor oil is my new favorite oil--move ova' jojoba:grin:.

ryanshope

Yep, Castor Oil is the TRUTH..I have 4a/b textured hair and every other oil pales in comparison to the benefits of castor oil...its a humectant, softner and a little goes a long way...!!

Dayjoy

Old School Member
In a previous thread about Dominican secrets, LaFlaca mentioned that castor oil and rosemary are the Dominican hair growth secrets. She recommended steeping rosemary (the herb) in castor oil for at least 10 days then using the oil. I'm still infusing mine, but when it is done, it should be "the truth!!"

mommatide

castor oil is amazing stuff. this is the first oil that has ever added moisture to my hair. the only problem i had is when i add it to my deep conditioning, it breaks my face out. so, i tend to just put it on the ends after conditioning.

GrowinLonger

Yes, Castor Oil is the truth!

Thinner oils make my hair feel dry and brittle.

I just started using this consistently on my ends and just a thin layer as a sealant and my hair stays soft and pliable for days. :drunk:

AwesomelyNappy

i discovered castor oil last week on accident!

I was in the bathroom doing my hair, and i didn't have anything in front of me to put in it, so i opened up the medicine cabinet and saw the castor oil (that we bought because of my 4 yr old daughters... er.... constipation... that girl loves cheese:grin::look:... sorry for TMI:grin:)

Anyway... i only used 2 quarter sizeds amounts of it, and my hair was so SHINEY and soft! I loved it, and was sold instantly!

DeepBluSea

I just got some. I figure it's cheap and easily accesible. Why not?! A lot of people rave that it helps moisturize esp in the winter.

OT:mysmallbiz that is some awesome hair growth you got going on! I'm going to show your fotki to my sis. She has the same haircut and doesn't think she can grow it out.:grin:

Energee

In a previous thread about Dominican secrets, LaFlaca mentioned that castor oil and rosemary are the Dominican hair growth secrets. She recommended steeping rosemary (the herb) in castor oil for at least 10 days then using the oil. I'm still infusing mine, but when it is done, it should be "the truth!!"

Thanks for that tip. I have a lot of it so I can infuse some with the rosemary. Great idea! Could you also use Rosemary Oil (essential) mixed with castor oil? I have a lot of Rosemary Essential oil too.

Windsy

Do you guys notice your hair getting thicker from the castor oil?

Jade, yes. I have always been a thin head (hated it :wallbash:). My hair is noticable thicker from using JBCO. I use it everyday to seal with it and love it. I just reordered some more; my sister noticed the difference in my hair and asked me what did it so I ordered her a bottle also. Try it, you will like it.

GrowinLonger

I just got some. I figure it's cheap and easily accesible. Why not?! A lot of people rave that it helps moisturize esp in the winter.

OT:mysmallbiz that is some awesome hair growth you got going on! I'm going to show your fotki to my sis. She has the same haircut and doesn't think she can grow it out.:grin:

THanks DBS! I am amazed myself :grin:

She can do it! :yep:

dillard

yup, i'd say of all the stuff i've tried, castor oil has had the biggest noticeable effect on my hair. well, that and Keracare H/D Shampoo (but that only affects my wet hair). But castor oil makes my hair SOOOO soft when it dries and keeps it soft til I wash. And yes, I have noticed that it feels thicker too!! I got a humungous bottle from camdengrey and i know i'm gonna finish every last drop. this will NOT be replaced.

has anyone used this as a pre-poo, or a hot oil treatment??

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Thanks for that tip. I have a lot of it so I can infuse some with the rosemary. Great idea! Could you also use Rosemary Oil (essential) mixed with castor oil? I have a lot of Rosemary Essential oil too.
I'm not sure. The same thread mentioned that too much rosemary oil could affect blood pressure.:ohwell:

ms*x

yes, my hair is definitely thicker - especially around the temples and edges - i have been applying the castor oil to those spots because i had experienced LOADS of breakage about 2 months ago in those areas...the hair at back of my head (the edges, rather) have never, ever been over about 1-2" long...it's pushing past 3...my temples are STRAIGHT! i'm loving castor oil. and i do take a swig of it every other night while doing my hair just for the cause...

Dayjoy

Old School Member
yes, my hair is definitely thicker - especially around the temples and edges - i have been applying the castor oil to those spots because i had experienced LOADS of breakage about 2 months ago in those areas...the hair at back of my head (the edges, rather) have never, ever been over about 1-2" long...it's pushing past 3...my temples are STRAIGHT! i'm loving castor oil. and i do take a swig of it every other night while doing my hair just for the cause...
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

brownsugarflyygirl

I mix mine with Jojoba to thin it and then I "spike" mine with Rosemary and Peppermint EOs. My hair and scalp love this mixture :lick:

brownsugarflyygirl

That is what I do. I only use about 10 drops of rosemary oil and 10 drops of peppermint in a total mixture that is about 12 ounces.

gabulldawg

yup, i'd say of all the stuff i've tried, castor oil has had the biggest noticeable effect on my hair. well, that and Keracare H/D Shampoo (but that only affects my wet hair). But castor oil makes my hair SOOOO soft when it dries and keeps it soft til I wash. And yes, I have noticed that it feels thicker too!! I got a humungous bottle from camdengrey and i know i'm gonna finish every last drop. this will NOT be replaced.

has anyone used this as a pre-poo, or a hot oil treatment??

I have. I've mixed it in with ORS hair mayo and use it as a pre-poo. I heat both up in the microwave and then rub it throughout my hair and roots. I think it works really well. I also started using plain old castor oil from the drug store in order to thicken up my hair. I've been using it for about 3 months now and I don't know if I've noticed a whole lot of thickness. It's about time for me to get some more. Hopefully I will see some great results in the near future.

cocoberry10

I think I’m going to try to “steep” rosemary in castor oil. Does it have to be fresh rosemary or will dried rosemary do? Thanks!:)

Energee

That is what I do. I only use about 10 drops of rosemary oil and 10 drops of peppermint in a total mixture that is about 12 ounces.

I'm going to try w/ the Rosemary. I have to wash tonight so I will use it then. I need to buy some more Peppermint oil. I believe my little jar is empty. I'm going to Trader Joes for groceries and the health Food store later today so I will pick some up then.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I've been using it for about a week and a half, and I'm hoping for a nice payoff in a few months or so. :yep:

I mixed it with coconut oil and a little water so it won't be too heavy on my fine strands. So far I've used it as a pretreatment for shampoos and conditioner washes. Last night I put a little on my hair and scalp while cornrowing, and today's braidout is soft.

I can't stand the awful scent by itself.

growingbrown

What about rosemary oil, will that work?

manegoal

I add JBCO to my oil mix too. It keeps the mix from running down my neck, face, ears, etc. You can also use other herbs like horsetail, nettle, jaborandi, indian hemp, burdock, sage, kelp you name it... I can go on and on. You want to use dried herbs because fresh ones contain water that will diffuse into the oil causing mold to grow. Also it can be steeped on the stove for 10-14 days for about 10-15 min each day on low heat or you can place it in a air tight jar with lid and place in a window sill that gets plenty of light for 4-6 weeks. If placed in the window sill be sure to shake it vigoursly (sp?) each day. Either way you choose when finished the herbs are generally strained with a sieve(strainer) or cheescloth. Throw the herbs away and then the oil is ready for use. good luck.
ETA: I forgot to answer the original question, Yes my hair is noticeably thicker. People have been commenting on my hair all summer anywhere I go work, restaurantes, the library, church programes, when I went home on vacation the family raved about its health. That is why I gave you ladies a big thank you in the random thoughts thread.

Last edited:

Energee

I add JBCO to my oil mix too. It keeps the mix from running down my neck, face, ears, etc. You can also use other herbs like horsetail, nettle, jaborandi, indian hemp, burdock, sage, kelp you name it... I can go on and on. You want to use dried herbs because fresh ones contain water that will diffuse into the oil causing mold to grow. Also it can be steeped on the stove for 10-14 days for about 10-15 min each day on low heat or you can place it in a air tight jar with lid and place in a window sill that gets plenty of light for 4-6 weeks. If placed in the window sill be sure to shake it vigoursly (sp?) each day. Either way you choose when finished the herbs are generally strained with a sieve(strainer) or cheescloth. Throw the herbs away and then the oil is ready for use. good luck.
ETA: I forgot to answer the original question, Yes my hair is noticeably thicker. People have been commenting on my hair all summer anywhere I go work, restaurantes, the library, church programes, when I went home on vacation the family raved about its health. That is why I gave you ladies a big thank you in the random thoughts thread.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to do this today. I'm going to put mine on the window sill. I have a wonderful bay window that's perfect for this in my master bath.:yep:. 4-6 weeks is a long time but I can wait.

manegoal

Your welcome. Also I forgot to add, some ppl add vitamin E or grapefruit oil into the oil after straining to preserve but with most oils that naturally contain vitamin e (for example if jojoba is in your mix) it is not necessary. ETA: I do not heat castor oil. castor oil, like vitamin e or grapefruit oil is added to the final product. I use castor oil only as a thickner.

Last edited: