pregnant and smoking

sexy c

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and i still smoke cigarettes i'm so nervous that something is going to happen to my baby and i am extremely sad please help me.

StrawberryQueen

You need to stop ASAP. Is the fact that you're harming you child enough to make you stop?

I don't understand, you're nervous but you won't stop? Have you tried to get help for yourself?

It's your body, your baby, and your life(ves) and your responsibility. I don't know what else to say to you.

ETA: I'll pray for guidance and health for you and your child.

Last edited:

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
SQ sometimees it's not as easy as saying just stop. You know that it's bad but it's not easy, in fact I have read the the tobacco habit is harder to quit then some other drug habit.

To the OP, you are in my prayers but you have to have the determination to stop. The withdrawal are hard but with prayer you can do it. I will continue to prayer for you. Also a great communtiy stop smoking site is : www.quitnet.com. It is a wonderful community with great people. I havenn't been on in a couple of years but my user name is MyFathersChild. You can read my profile and my journel over there.

God Bless

fattyfatfat

OP, I know that it isnt very easy to do but please stop, for your child and his or her health. I really dont want to say it but you ARE harming your child. Have you told your doctor that you are still smoking? If not, please do. You would feel so bad if your child is born with serious birth defects...or not born at all. Please stop! I hope I dont sound too negative or condescending (sp?).

StrawberryQueen

LadyR said:
SQ sometimees it's not as easy as saying just stop. You know that it's bad but it's not easy, in fact I have read the the tobacco habit is harder to quit then some other drug habit.

God Bless
I am aware of that, but when she's playing with the life of her child, I'm sorry, I had to say it. It may sound hard/mean but it's more than just her she needs to watch out for. :perplexed

I'm not a smoker, so I don't know, but my mother IS and she quit for each and every one of her pregnancies, so I know it can be done, especially if she goes to the Lord for help. I won't make excuses for her or her behavior, but I know we're all human, and all fall way short of perfection.

OP I commend you for asking for help, but please try to do the right thing. Have you asked anyone in real life for help?

Angelicus

You can learn from my cousin who smoked during pregnancy and had two children. They both suffer from accute asthma and must use the Albeuterol treatment each day.

I think the above links are awesome. Good luck to you and pray that you and your baby become healthy!

soonergirl

Its your baby, your baby, your baby!! No judging here boo, just think of the lung/breathing issues this is causing. My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me (many moons ago) and I was born weighing 5lbs, and that was full term. Low birth weight and under developed lungs. Know that we are all here for you and want all to be healthy, please know me and many others are praying for you....Take a stand for your little one and stop, u can do it;)

ms jadu

sexy c said:
I'm 30 weeks pregnant and i still smoke cigarettes i'm so nervous that something is going to happen to my baby and i am extremely sad please help me.

MY sister is experiencing the same thing. She is 34 weeks a smokes like a chimney. She is on her second pregnancy and smoked through her first as well. Luckily my nephew did not have any effects known, but he is quite overactive than most children. I would suggest joining a support group as LADYR suggested. Someone telling you to stop won't cure your issues. Maybe your peers from a support group can give you excellent tips to help withdrawl you from cigarettes. Thanks for being bold and posting. I hope you find the guidance that you need.

empressaja

I'm not sure what to say except for you should be nervous, your unborn child 's health & mortality is at risk. You really don't know what is going on biochemically because of the exposure to the harmful carcinogenic chemicals. He or she should not have to be exposed to those chemicals Voluntarily. I am a former smoker and as soon as I found out i was pregnant I Stopped. Its extrememy hard to stop but most things in life that are worth it are hard. When I see MOTHERS doing things that can harm there children it appears sooooo selfish. I would first start praying for your childs health and most of all to control your urges to smoke.At thirty weeks your child is almost ready to make he or her entrance these last 10 weeks are when you childs lungs are preparing themselves to breathe air please please give them a chance to mature healthly. I apologize if this sounds at all harsh but i am 20 weeks pregnant and this is a very emotional topic.

sexy c

thank u ladies for all ur support and comments, and to sq until u walk n someone's elses shoes dont be so judgemental and harsh, I think about my babies health everyday, and i go to bed at night praying and asking the lord to look over my baby. I will continue to pray and ask for help thanks ladies so much.

StrawberryQueen

sexy c said:
thank u ladies for all ur support and comments, and to sq until u walk n someone's elses shoes dont be so judgemental and harsh, I think about my babies health everyday, and i go to bed at night praying and asking the lord to look over my baby. I will continue to pray and ask for help thanks ladies so much.
Sorry you felt what I said was harsh, but I won't apologize for saying it. Maybe it helped maybe it didn't, but you asked. :ohwell: As are you, I'm concerned for the health of your children.

I hope you do the right thing and get the help you need, folks have given you plenty of information in the thread.

Sha76

I will have to agree with Strawberry Queen. If you really want to stop you would, but since you have gone 30 weeks into your pregnancy, it doesn't seem like you really want to stop.

I am a ex smoker myself and I quit cold turkey 8 years ago, because I really wanted to. MY husbnad is a ex smoker, her has not had a cigarette for 3 years, he stopped because he wanted a healthier enviroment for my then pregnant self. He also stopped cold turkey.

Where there is a will there is a way.

But truly, you need to speak to someone in your area especially your doctor about this problem.

I am not being judgemental, nor do I personally know you. But it does seem you are full of excuses as why you can't stop, instead of finding reasons to stop.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Ladies, you spoke the truth to the OP and I believe she knows that.

I was frustrated with an old friend because she smoked cigarettes and weed during her pregnancy. She told me and everyone else she stopped. She suffered a miscarriage and didn't know until she went for her first sonogram. We cried when she went to the hospital.

Months later we were talking on the phone, and she slipped and told me a story about her smoking weed. I did the math and realized it was during her pregnancy, and I was so angry with her. I don't know if I was more angry that she smoked or that she lied repeatedly. I felt she should have said something if she knew she couldn't quit. She could have gotten professional help.

We became friends during school, and I got her a job at the company I worked for at that time. She ate healthy foods for breakfast, lunch, and snack. She took her vitamins and went to the doctor. She didn't go on smoke breaks with others, so I really thought she stopped.

I should have known that it was hard for her to quit since she started smoking at 9yrs, and everyone in her immediate family smoked. She even had a procedure in her late teens to flush her sinuses and drain the nicotine from her eyes with some type of needle. She told me she smoked a cigarette immediately after that. :(

----

I got all "long winded" to express my feelings and concern for the OP and her baby. From what I understand, smoking feels good and chemically helps to relieve stress. The OP might be stressed over things that are happening in her life right now, and that could be why she reaches for the cigarrettes. I'm not making excuses for her, nor am I challenging anyone's post. I just want to offer another point of view.

Smoking is a bad habit, and now it's also strong hold over her life and her baby's life. She posted her request for help in the Christianity forum. Please continue to pray that she'll reach out to God when she gets stressed instead of reaching for a cigarrette, and that she finds good spiritual and medical support to help her cope with any problems she's facing.

Sexy C, I'm still hoping that the thought of smoking makes you feel queasy like morning sickness so you can stop. ;) You can overcome this. Keep renewing your mind and focusing on God.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

OP: I will be praying for you. I'm sure its not easy to stop smoking, but God is with you and He will give you the Grace to be able to stop.

God Bless you.

klb120475

Nice & Wavy said:
OP: I will be praying for you. I'm sure its not easy to stop smoking, but God is with you and He will give you the Grace to be able to stop.

God Bless you.

Co-signing...

Blaque*Angel

My cousin smoked cigs and weed :( throughout her whole pregnancy. (she smokes a lot too!) Her beautiful child and is now very small, (dwarf like) He was born with two thumbs and he as very bad asthma.

I'm praying for you and the baby OP, I know it is a hard habit to quit.
But you will get there everytime you feel the little one move should inspire you..

Be Blessed

xxxx

dicapr

sexy c said:

No judgement here. I just want to let you know that the Lord is able to keep your baby. I had a friend who smoked the entire 9 months and had a healthy baby girl. Studies show that most lung problems infants develop is from smoking in the house after bringing the child home. Until you find a quit smoking program that works for you, please don't smoke indoors if you do now. I'll be praying that you can quit.

p31woman

My mother smoked while she was pregnant with me and by the grace of God I am 22 years old and healthy with no serious health problems. The doctors said I had asthma but I guess I grew out of it. (I never had problems with it as a child either)

Even though I turned out fine, PLEASE STOP. I know it is much easier said than done but you don't want the child resenting you if they grow up having health problems related to the smoking. I don't resent my mother but sometimes it angers me that she did that. Keep it in prayer and I will keep you and your new edition in my prayers! Love you!

Last edited:

Naijaqueen

I'm in medicine so its really hard for me not to lash out but please sister lean to the Lord, do not be afraid of quiting, he will strengthen you and help u, He will uphold u with His righteous right hand. Though your pregnancy is far advanced now, I stretch forth and lay the hand of healing with you, in the name of Jesus, your child is blessed and made beautiful. Your seed has been made righteous.

My dear God has blessed you with the opportunity to bring life into the world, a child whose purpose and path God has already ordered. It hurts God to see what you are doing with it. Realize you quitting isnt just for you, do it for God, so that your blessings may continue to flow even more abundantly.