Silk Amino Acids...how are you using it and how is it working?

Cayenne0622

For the ladies who read the threads about silk protein being good for your hair during relaxers and otherwise, have you used the silk protein yet?

If so, how are you using it - mixing with conditioners, protein treatments, relaxer?

How is it working for you? Do you feel improvement in your hair?

I ordered from lotioncrafters this week and I just want to know how to use it in conditioners, protein treatments and even daily moisturizing.

THANKS!:D

preciousjewel76

Cayenne0622 said:
For the ladies who read the threads about silk protein being good for your hair during relaxers and otherwise, have you used the silk protein yet?

If so, how are you using it - mixing with conditioners, protein treatments, relaxer?

How is it working for you? Do you feel improvement in your hair?

I ordered from lotioncrafters this week and I just want to know how to use it in conditioners, protein treatments and even daily moisturizing.

THANKS!:D

I got a bottle (4 oz., I think) from Lotioncrafter back in February. I keep meaning to add it to my DC, but I totally forget about it:look: . Anyway, I used mine back in March as a pre-relaxer treatment. I poured the SAA into a little spray bottle and sprayed my entire head, making sure to get my new growth as well. I texlaxed as normal (with Silk Elements Regular lye). I think my hair felt silkier and stronger than normal after the relaxer. However, this could be due to my hair being in better shape overall. But, I didn't have any post-relaxer breakage or dryness, so I think the SAA helped with that.

There are other members, I'm sure, who have been more adventurous with their amino acids. Like I said, I keep forgetting about mine so I haven't experimented much with it. I did mix a little with my daily moisturizer a few times, but I couldn't really tell a difference.

sareca

You must have been reading my mind! I was just going to post a rave about using SAA straight out of the bottle. :yep:

My hair doesn't like to be super clean and I've been using henna and poo'g alot and it had started breaking BAD. Anyway, I used SAA straight out of bottle on my ends and let it dry. It was like magic. I don't know why it took me this long to try it.

I also use it in my leave-in conditioners (at 1-2%).
I also put 3-4 drops in my mascara and my lashes are noticably longer.
I also put it in my cocoa butter mix.

I buy mine from lotioncrafter as well but I just put in an order from FNWL for their Silk Peptide Powder. I'm planning it use in my hair moisturizer and baths.

ETA: I love it because it makes my hair feel... well... silky. I once had an argument w/ a braider. I told her the braids were too tight, she got an attitude and said "your hair's all silky like white people's, the braids will slide out if I don't make it extra tight." :huh: White people! Slide OUT? I assured her it wouldn't and insisted she ease up but I get the silky comment from a lot of people.

Last edited:

LaNecia

sareca said:
You must have been reading my mind! I was just going to post a rave about using SAA straight out of the bottle. :yep:

My hair doesn't like to be super clean and I've been using henna and poo'g alot and it had started breaking BAD. Anyway, I used SAA straight out of bottle on my ends and let it dry. It was like magic. I don't know why it took me this long to try it.

I also put a 3-4 drops in my mascara and my lashes are noticably longer.

I buy mine from lotioncrafter as well but I just put in an order from FNWL for their Silk Peptide Powder. I'm planning it use in my hair moisturizer and baths.

I :love: this chile!!! :lol:

I bought mine from Lotion Crafter as well.

I use it in my deep conditioning mix (NTM DDC, Hair Mask and Silk Aminos). (1 x week)

I use it in my leave in moisturizing spray (Dove Moisture Mist, NTM Silk Touch Leave In, NTM Anti-Frizz, NTM Healing Shine Serum, Sodium PCA and Silk Aminos). (4-5 x week)

I used it to pretreat my hair prior to my last relaxer retouch. (every 8-12 weeks).

Not sure if I can tell a difference but I'm sticking with it since it's supposed to be beneficial. This last retouch turned out EXQUISITELY nice but I used a relaxer I've never used before so I have no reference point if it was the relaxer, the silk aminos or both. Whatever it was, I'll redo it all next time.

HTH.

Vixx

sareca

VWVixxen said:
I :love: this chile!!! :lol:

I bought mine from Lotion Crafter as well.

I use it in my deep conditioning mix (NTM DDC, Hair Mask and Silk Aminos). (1 x week)

I use it in my leave in moisturizing spray (Dove Moisture Mist, NTM Silk Touch Leave In, NTM Anti-Frizz, NTM Healing Shine Serum, Sodium PCA and Silk Aminos). (4-5 x week)

I used it to pretreat my hair prior to my last relaxer retouch. (every 8-12 weeks).

Not sure if I can tell a difference but I'm sticking with it since it's supposed to be beneficial. This last retouch turned out EXQUISITELY nice but I used a relaxer I've never used before so I have no reference point if it was the relaxer, the silk aminos or both. Whatever it was, I'll redo it all next time.

HTH.

Vixx

I wasn't even trying to make my lashes longer. I just read it on their website and decided why not? It aslo help to keep the mascara from clumping.

LaNecia

I'm not even mad at you!! Shoot, a gurl can ALWAYS use longer lashes!! I'm making an alarmed to do on my pda so I can BE SURE to add some to my mascara when I get home!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
sareca said:
I wasn't even trying to make my lashes longer. I just read it on their website and decided why not? It aslo help to keep the mascara from clumping.

Sareca, you WRONG! Just WRONNNNGGG, gurl!! You're going make me use my credit card again!!:lachen: I hate my eyelashes for being so short and thin.

More questions:

1. How do you use the powder, by the way?

2. Can you use the proteins on the entire hair AND scalp?

3. How often do you use the proteins?

Thanks again! :kiss:

Cayenne0622

Oh snap!!! Two of my gurus (Sareca and Vixxen) are using the SAA!!! Whoo hoo! I just got extreeee excited about it now. :D Thanks for the tips ladies and I will definitely use it for my lashes too. I had been trying to find a protein based mascara and that crizzap runs about $40!!! No sir! So, I'll give this a shot. I think I ordered an 8 oz bottle because I knew I wanted to use it for multiple purposes.

Thanks ladies!!

Cayenne0622

preciousjewel76 said:
I got a bottle (4 oz., I think) from Lotioncrafter back in February. I keep meaning to add it to my DC, but I totally forget about it:look: . Anyway, I used mine back in March as a pre-relaxer treatment. I poured the SAA into a little spray bottle and sprayed my entire head, making sure to get my new growth as well. I texlaxed as normal (with Silk Elements Regular lye). I think my hair felt silkier and stronger than normal after the relaxer. However, this could be due to my hair being in better shape overall. But, I didn't have any post-relaxer breakage or dryness, so I think the SAA helped with that.

There are other members, I'm sure, who have been more adventurous with their amino acids. Like I said, I keep forgetting about mine so I haven't experimented much with it. I did mix a little with my daily moisturizer a few times, but I couldn't really tell a difference.

Thanks lady! You are always so prompt in responding to my questions. I really appreciate it. You know we always hope people will read our threads and respond accordingly and I've been noticing that you've been really tryna help a sistah out. {{BIG HUG FOR U!!!}}

preciousjewel76

Cayenne0622 said:
Thanks lady! You are always so prompt in responding to my questions. I really appreciate it. You know we always hope people will read our threads and respond accordingly and I've been noticing that you've been really tryna help a sistah out. {{BIG HUG FOR U!!!}}

Awww, thanks girl!:kiss: You always ask such interesting questions in your threads, so I just gotta come and put my two cents in! Shoot, I'm no hair expert, but I've learned soooooo much on LHCF (and from trial & error), that I love sharing it with others.:)

Now, you ladies got me curious about the whole mascara thing.....:scratchch

nomoweavesfome

ok - it's been a minute - how much are you guys using? and is there another type/ product like this that has this ingredient that is just as potent I can buy from sally's?

Cayenne0622

preciousjewel76 said:
Awww, thanks girl!:kiss: You always ask such interesting questions in your threads, so I just gotta come and put my two cents in! Shoot, I'm no hair expert, but I've learned soooooo much on LHCF (and from trial & error), that I love sharing it with others.:)

Now, you ladies got me curious about the whole mascara thing.....:scratchch

Thanks! ;) I always hope my threads will help me and some other ladies because I never knew this hair thing was so scientific. :lol: I have learned tons of stuff and I believe I can have a great head of hair like your's and some others once I get my regimen down.

P.S. The mascara deal does sound interesting, doesn't it? But you know it has to work because lashes are hair afterall and protein strengthens hair. Also, some ladies use castor oil to remove their eye makeup the combination of the protein in the mascara and the castor oil to remove the makeup should provide strength and moisture to the lashes...ya thinK?

sareca

Serenity_Peace said:
Sareca, you WRONG! Just WRONNNNGGG, gurl!! You're going make me use my credit card again!!:lachen: I hate my eyelashes for being so short and thin.

More questions:

1. How do you use the powder, by the way?

2. Can you use the proteins on the entire hair AND scalp?

3. How often do you use the proteins?

Thanks again! :kiss:

Sorry chica! :blush: :D

I feel ya, whenever I complained to anybody about my lashes they always said "stop wearing mascara." I thought... great! That's the only thing makes it look like I have any lashes at all. Fortunately, when I started taking supplements my lashes grew too; really I was quite happy with them before the silk.

1)
The powder is supposed to arrive today. I haven't ordered it before so I can't wait to get home tonight. I think I'm gonna add some to tonight's henna/indigo mix. :yep: I'm hoping to end up w/ silky hair before I DC.

2)
SAA are great for hair and skin. Your scalp is just specialized skin so I can't see why it wouldn't work the same. I haven't been using it on my scalp; I might have to try that one a try when I get home too.

3)
I use SAA every day or every other day if I get lazy. My hair doesn't seem to have an overload point with silk protein like it does w/ the other ones. Either I put it in a product or I put it on straight. I usually focus on the weakest spots (ends and DL).

HTH

Cheleigh

Are Silk Amino Acids like a protein? Silk seems to be one of the few proteins my hair can tolerate, so if this is similar, my hair might like it.

sareca

nomoweavesfome said:
ok - it's been a minute - how much are you guys using? and is there another type/ product like this that has this ingredient that is just as potent I can buy from sally's?

Sally's sells Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor. It has silk as the second ingredient. It was my main source of silk before I started buying from lotioncrafter. I also liked Salerm 21. I still use both of those, but I add more silk to Salerm 21.

sareca

Cheleigh said:
Are Silk Amino Acids like a protein? Silk seems to be one of the few proteins my hair can tolerate, so if this is similar, my hair might like it.

You'll have to get one of our science sistas (navsegda) in here to get you detail, but it's my understanding that proteins are made up of amino acids.

Here's the description from FNWL:

Our Silk Peptide Powder consists of 18 silk amino acids. It has a low molecular weight allowing it to be completely water soluble and have excellent permeability. In formulations, the skin protein can be absorbed into the skin and hair to provide moisture balance and to promote suppleness, shine and elasticity. It imparts a silky, smooth feel to the skin. Use at 2 - 5% by weight in creams, lotions, shampoos, conditioners, bubble baths, shower gels and other skin and hair care products.

Here's one of navegda's threads about using silk pre-relaxer http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112817

Ok, I'm leaving Cayenne0622. Sorry about jackin' the thread.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

I have yet to use to liquid silk amino acids but I have been using my chi silk infusion and motions silk protein conditioner. I have fallen in love with the conditioner especially if you use it after a relaxer.

XXXtacy

Oh, I am buying this for the lash benefits!!!! A sister :love: long eyelashes. LOL:lol:

Does this work on natural hair? What are the benefits for natural hair? Silkiness??

Cayenne0622

sareca said:
You'll have to get one of our science sistas (navsegda) in here to get you detail, but it's my understanding that proteins are made up of amino acids.

Here's the description from FNWL:

Our Silk Peptide Powder consists of 18 silk amino acids. It has a low molecular weight allowing it to be completely water soluble and have excellent permeability. In formulations, the skin protein can be absorbed into the skin and hair to provide moisture balance and to promote suppleness, shine and elasticity. It imparts a silky, smooth feel to the skin. Use at 2 - 5% by weight in creams, lotions, shampoos, conditioners, bubble baths, shower gels and other skin and hair care products.

Here's one of navegda's threads about using silk pre-relaxer http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112817

Ok, I'm leaving Cayenne0622. Sorry about jackin' the thread.

Yeah get outta here!!!:lol: Just kidding, girl. Answer as many questions as you want. It helps me to come back and read because some of the other ladies have questions that I hadn't even thought about. You betta not leave me. You have an open invitation to hang out in my threads.;)

sareca

Cayenne0622 said:
Yeah get outta here!!!:lol: Just kidding, girl. Answer as many questions as you want. It helps me to come back and read because some of the other ladies have questions that I hadn't even thought about. You betta not leave me. You have an open invitation to hang out in my threads.;)

:sekret: tee-hee

deontaer

I CANNOT be with SAA! I use it in all of my water based hair products and I can feel the difference instantly.

I made a rinse with it that I use after every wash and I don't even have to comb my hair after it. I pour it on, put on a shower cap for 5 minutes and the rinse. The pressure from the shower detangles my hair completely. I made a smaller batch without the silk to see if I was trippin, and I didn't have the same result at all - as a matter of fact, my hair felt a little stripped. I also make my own leave in moisturizing spray using rosewater and SAA as a base and several EO's and it turned out better than anything i've ever bought. I passed it around to some of the ladies in my office and they loved it. I keep a small spray bottle in my purse to spray on the go :grin:

I won't be relaxing my hair anymore so I won't be able to comment on that, but I mix it in the Parnevu tea tree scalp stimulating forumla that I use on my daughters hair and scalp and it detangles her hair like no other detangler that I've ever used...and I think I've bought every kid detangler on the market! This is a definate keeper. I've ordered several bottles since the original topic appeared.

tnorenberg

sareca said:

Do you mix it as you need it or just premix it in the conditioner/ leave in/mascara bottle and use it? I want to make sure it won't go bad, if that is possible, if I just mix it in the bottle w/ another product.

tnorenberg

sareca said:

Do you mix it as you need it or just premix it in the conditioner/ leave in/mascara bottle and use it? I want to make sure it won't go bad, if that is possible, if I just mix it in the bottle w/ another product.

AKA-Tude

I put SAA in a cheap spray btl & spray it directly on NG 30 min. b4 relaxing.

My hair comes out so silky & and this is w/ANY relaxer (even tho Phyto is my primary).

I also make my own leave-in w/ SAA, hydolyzed wheat protein, nettle & rosemary extracts, peppermint & lavendar oils, and a little pathenol powder- all in a spray btl.

Oh, & I'm copping the mascara deal- SWEET!

LaNecia

AKA-Tude said:
I put SAA in a cheap spray btl & spray it directly on NG 30 min. b4 relaxing.

My hair comes out so silky & and this is w/ANY relaxer (even tho Phyto is my primary).

I also make my own leave-in w/ SAA, hydolyzed wheat protein, nettle & rosemary extracts, peppermint & lavendar oils, and a little pathenol powder- all in a spray btl.

Oh, & I'm copping the mascara deal- SWEET!

I'm liking this recipe!!! :yep: Where were you able to find the Nettle and Rosemary Extracts? I've seen the essential oils but those aren't the same are they?

TiA!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
sareca said:
Sorry chica! :blush: :D

I feel ya, whenever I complained to anybody about my lashes they always said "stop wearing mascara." I thought... great! That's the only thing makes it look like I have any lashes at all. Fortunately, when I started taking supplements my lashes grew too; really I was quite happy with them before the silk.

1)
The powder is supposed to arrive today. I haven't ordered it before so I can't wait to get home tonight. I think I'm gonna add some to tonight's henna/indigo mix. :yep: I'm hoping to end up w/ silky hair before I DC.

2)
SAA are great for hair and skin. Your scalp is just specialized skin so I can't see why it wouldn't work the same. I haven't been using it on my scalp; I might have to try that one a try when I get home too.

3)
I use SAA every day or every other day if I get lazy. My hair doesn't seem to have an overload point with silk protein like it does w/ the other ones. Either I put it in a product or I put it on straight. I usually focus on the weakest spots (ends and DL).

HTH

Thanks so much, sweetheart. And your hair looks fantastic. The henna is giving it much health and BLING!

So I finally bought the SAA this evening. I can't wait to receive the order...;)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
sareca said:
Sally's sells Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor. It has silk as the second ingredient. It was my main source of silk before I started buying from lotioncrafter. I also liked Salerm 21. I still use both of those, but I add more silk to Salerm 21.

I'll have to try adding the SAA to my Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio Leave-In, neither of which do anything to my hair to moisturize at all.:(

sareca

tnorenberg said:

It varies... for deep conditioning I like to tailor each conditioning treatment so I'll mix (in a bowl) how ever much conditioner I need then add a capful of silk and/or oil.

for leave-ins I just put some in the bottle at 1-2% (I guessimate; no real measuring goin' on) and shake it up. Same w/ the mascara. Most of my products already have perservatives (natural ones or parabens) so I don't worry to much about bacteria. I also don't add too much liquid 1-2% so I don't throw off their original numbers by much. :nono:

tnorenberg

sareca said:
It varies... for deep conditioning I like to tailor each conditioning treatment so I'll mix (in a bowl) how ever much conditioner I need then add a capful of silk and/or oil.

for leave-ins I just put some in the bottle at 1-2% (I guessimate; no real measuring goin' on) and shake it up. Same w/ the mascara. Most of my products already have perservatives (natural ones or parabens) so I don't worry to much about bacteria. I also don't add too much liquid 1-2% so I don't throw off their original numbers by much. :nono:

Does adding the SAA aid in slip or with detangling properties?