I almost lost ALLL my curl!

JustKiya

People have been looking for YEARS for an All Natural, Safe, CHEAP, Gentle Hair Straighter - and nothing to date has been found....

Well, guess what?

I stumbled over it a couple of weeks ago.

Wanna know what it is?

Henna - mixed with coconut milk & lime juice. Someone (and I hunted, and HUNTED for the thread, but couldn't find it) was asking about this combination - thinking that since henna is known to loosen curls, and the C/L mix is known to loosen curls - what would happen if you mixed the two?

I used 1/2 cup of henna (from FNWL), 8 oz warm water, about 1/2 cup coconut milk, and the juice from half a lime. Mixed it together, added some conditioner to make it easier to put in and rinse out, and left it on for 24 hours. I don't know if the amount of time makes a difference - I doubt that it does, I'm just lazy and was busy working around the house.

I rinsed my hair out and I was SHOCKED by how - flat - it was. Even my hubby was like - what did you do to your hair???!? because the normal puff almighty was NOT in evidence.

My hair came out (other than the straightness) normally like it does after a good henna treatment - shinier, stronger, smoother.

I don't plan on using this frequently (maybe once every 3-4 months - and I henna every month) because I don't WANT to loose all of my curl - and I really do think that doing this repeatedly would give me ALMOST straight hair.

Another woman (3b) on THLC used a similar mix, and also saw a DISTINCT straightening of her hair - enough that she said that she doubts she would use it again, because she doesn't have all that much curl to START with.

I thought this might be useful for the hennaheads who stretch, or for naturals who wouldn't mind a little 'temp' curl loosening - esp. if you press your hair, and transitioners might LOVE it to allow them to slowly get used to their natural texture - as it will wear off if you only do it once (I hope - I've only washed my hair once since then, and it was still much straighter)

I'd LOVE to hear if anyone else tries it, and if so - what your results are. My dilly tail didn't take before & after pictures (because I REALLY didn't expect that much to happen) - so it would be nice if someone else did.....

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

Very interesting. Thanks for the review NW. I always enjoy reading your posts so I RAN in here when I saw your name. :lol:

I'm going to give this a shot since I've got to wear my hair straight for an upcoming shoot. I was planning to add coconut milk to my henna anyway so I'll add a little lime juice as well. My hair is texlaxed to a loose 4a/3 something texture so I'm not sure how much difference it'll make for me, but I'll definitely take before, during, and after shots. :lol:

Thanks again!

OneInAMillion

Thanks for sharing! I'll try it and post a review, but henna doesn't really loosen my curl (not that I've noticed). BTW, did the lime juice make your hair any dryer than your regular henna mixes?

Arcadian

OneInAMillion said:
Thanks for sharing! I'll try it and post a review, but henna doesn't really loosen my curl (not that I've noticed). BTW, did the lime juice make your hair any dryer than your regular henna mixes?

I was gonna ask that too.

-A

Ms Lala

I might try this before flat ironing when I want to wear my hair straight. What kind of henna did you use? Can I buy it in the store?

JustKiya

I used FromNatureWithLove's henna - I love it because it's gooey and sloopy, so it's easy and not super messy to put in, but it rinses out like a DREAM.

No, it didn't make my hair any drier than usual- but I use a LOT of cheapie moisturizing conditioner (maybe about a cup of some WhiteRain stuff, for those measurements) in my henna mix, so I'm moisturizing while I'm hennaing...

Divine Inspiration - :Blush2: I'm glad you enjoy my posts!!

OneInAMillion - Yeah - that's why I wanted to put it out there, because I've heard that henna doesn't loosen EVERYONE's curls, and right now it's 2 for 2....

Divine Inspiration & Ms Lala - yeah- I was thinking this would be PERFECT for pre-flatironing/heat application - it gives your hair a boost, AND hoefully makes it a little straighter so you don't have to press as hard to get it totally straight.

FlyyGyrl

This is great to know since I am newly natural. I'll try this along with a rollerset when I want a straight look. Thanks for sharing!

ladylibra

girl, you are not kidding! my henna experience at the beginning of this month had me like... what happened to my hair? :eek: it was still coily after i rinsed it out but the shrinkage factor was almost non-existant... it was just droopy. i was shaking my head like crazy the next day to try and get some volume again, LOL! :lol:

thank God it was only temporary...

Mahalialee4

This was posted some time ago somewhere and was referred to as a Herbal Tame knockoff. Yes, it works. I tried it a couple of years ago.

Mahalialee4

When I tried it I added grapeseed oil. As I said there should be some posts under Hennaphyliacs, or Straighten Hair Naturally etc. that talks about this. It did not dry out my hair, but because my hair strands are so fine, I do not need to debulk. It made my hair super straight after a wrap. Have not tried it in a couple of years but my own hair is loose enough for me anyway. You can repeat the application and keep the mixture in the fridge till used up. If you go to the website: Xenna Corporation Curl Remover or Relaxer, they use a similar recipe but without the henna. (Coconut milk, lime, grapeseed oil and thickener...) Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Hidden_Angel

I mite have to use this mix on my two lil sister hairs! but I'm scared to use this on my own because I know I love my tight 4a'ish curls and i would hate to not see them anymore :(

Ms Lala

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I am interested as I am trying to reduce my heat use when I straighten.
I have color on the ends of my hair. Is it safe for me to use henna?
Also is it available in the stores or only online?

Blackrican

I'm glad you posted this. I am transitioning and don't want to relax my hair ever again. Using this recipe should help me when ì have those thoughts of straight hair. Does it wash out after one washing or is it semi-permanent? I love my texture and would like to be able to wash it out if need be.

:)

remnant

nappywomyn said:
People have been looking for YEARS for an All Natural, Safe, CHEAP, Gentle Hair Straighter - and nothing to date has been found....

Well, guess what?

I stumbled over it a couple of weeks ago.

Wanna know what it is?

Henna - mixed with coconut milk & lime juice. Someone (and I hunted, and HUNTED for the thread, but couldn't find it) was asking about this combination - thinking that since henna is known to loosen curls, and the C/L mix is known to loosen curls - what would happen if you mixed the two?

I used 1/2 cup of henna (from FNWL), 8 oz warm water, about 1/2 cup coconut milk, and the juice from half a lime. Mixed it together, added some conditioner to make it easier to put in and rinse out, and left it on for 24 hours. I don't know if the amount of time makes a difference - I doubt that it does, I'm just lazy and was busy working around the house.

I rinsed my hair out and I was SHOCKED by how - flat - it was. Even my hubby was like - what did you do to your hair???!? because the normal puff almighty was NOT in evidence.

My hair came out (other than the straightness) normally like it does after a good henna treatment - shinier, stronger, smoother.

I don't plan on using this frequently (maybe once every 3-4 months - and I henna every month) because I don't WANT to loose all of my curl - and I really do think that doing this repeatedly would give me ALMOST straight hair.

Another woman (3b) on THLC used a similar mix, and also saw a DISTINCT straightening of her hair - enough that she said that she doubts she would use it again, because she doesn't have all that much curl to START with.

I thought this might be useful for the hennaheads who stretch, or for naturals who wouldn't mind a little 'temp' curl loosening - esp. if you press your hair, and transitioners might LOVE it to allow them to slowly get used to their natural texture - as it will wear off if you only do it once (I hope - I've only washed my hair once since then, and it was still much straighter)

I'd LOVE to hear if anyone else tries it, and if so - what your results are. My dilly tail didn't take before & after pictures (because I REALLY didn't expect that much to happen) - so it would be nice if someone else did.....

That's why I have a love/ hate relation with henna (i have tried clarification with Acv but no efficiency:ohwell: )it's really stretched my nap's and lime +coconut do the same! So the result of your experience is true.

ChocoKitty

nappywomyn: How long did you let your mix sit before you applied it? Also, did your mix deposit any color?

I wanna try this out but I definitely want some color...
TIA

Isis

Remember ladies, if you want to get your natural curls or texture back, you can always use amla powder and there are some good threads here about that. :yep:

This is interesting about the henna in combo with the coconut milk and lime juice, something to keep in mind for those who want straighter hair safely, for whatever reason.

JustKiya

ChocoKitty said:
nappywomyn: How long did you let your mix sit before you applied it? Also, did your mix deposit any color?

I wanna try this out but I definitely want some color...
TIA

I let it sit for about *thinks* an hour or so? Just long enough to let the color release (FNWL henna color releases FAST too, yet another reason I love em.)

My hair is dark and VERY resistant, so I can't see an immeadiate color change, but I was just sitting at my desk eying my hair in the mirror, and I can see a red 'tinge' to my hair. So - yes, it DEFINITELY deposits color still.

I think that my siggy picture was taken right after I did that henna, actually.....

I don't think you can DO anything to henna to prevent the color from depositing - now, if someone figured a foolproof way to do THAT, there would be women all over the world jumping for joy. :lachen:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
RainbowCurls said:
This is why I wouldn't use henna.
I just know I'd be one of the unlucky ones who had permanent straightening.

it doesn't do it permanently..its a gradual process and the hair goes back to normal after you stop using it

anon123

thanks for bumping. I think i'll try this. I really don't want henna's color, though, but I might give it a go anyway. Good to know that it isn't permanent.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I'll probably try it knowing me. I have a box of henna and might whip up a batch when I take my braids out

morehairplease

thanks for sharing JustKiya! I so wish I would have known about this the first time I went natural....I would NEVER have relaxer again.