Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
ShaniKeys's Avatar
ShaniKeys ShaniKeys is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I dreamed of Africa
Posts: 6,332
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Hair growth based on ethnicity

I just read a French article (http://www.aufeminin.com/mag/beaute/d1259/c34374.html) that stated that it has been scientifically proven (they gave numbers) that Black women's hair grows slower than Asian's and Caucasian's hair

"...Ils poussent très lentement, 0,8 cm par mois (1,1 cm pour les Caucasiens et 1,3 cm pour les Asiatiques)."

I personally DO NOT believe this, what y'all think?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaniKeys For This Useful Post:
Marino (02-20-2012)
  #2  
Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
csmoot's Avatar
csmoot csmoot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

I do not agree with this EITHER. I had a white woman tell me that there hair grow faster than black women and I was so pissed bc I told her that black woman hair grow just as fast its just that damage makes it hard to see all the growth!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csmoot For This Useful Post:
BlackHairDiva (06-03-2012), lisanaturally (06-11-2012)
  #3  
Old 03-23-2007, 03:42 PM
candy1214's Avatar
candy1214 candy1214 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: THE CAPITAL
Posts: 3,710
Thanks: 298
Thanked 585 Times in 87 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Well I suppose you cant really refute the numbers...it would be interesting to see how they designed their study though.

I'm not agreeing necessarily, but it may be true that we grow slower by .08 millimeters or something of that nature.

Their "test" results are probably nothing that is noticed by the naked eye as in white women grow hair substantially faster than black women.
__________________

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to candy1214 For This Useful Post:
LadyRaider (02-18-2012)
  #4  
Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
locabouthair locabouthair is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city that neva sleeps!!
Posts: 24,558
Blog Entries: 16
Thanks: 22,451
Thanked 14,168 Times in 3,974 Posts
Mentioned: 467 Post(s)
Tagged: 133 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

i dont think believe that at all. we may have a problem [retaining what we grow but i doubt growth rate has anythign to do with ethnicity. it has more to with nutrition and illness. i wonder how they did their study and if they took those factors into account.
__________________
“Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it.” - Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to locabouthair For This Useful Post:
ButterMilk (02-18-2012)
  #5  
Old 03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
scorpian's Avatar
scorpian scorpian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

I think that kinky/curly hair grows at the same rate as any other race of people but it's harder to see the growth due to shrinkage and the tight curl pattern.

Kinky curly hair doesn't show it's true length unless it's straightened so people of other races have hair that appears to grow faster. Also our hair doesn't always retain length because the ends tend to break off just as fast as our hair grows (learned that from a member here)that's why we have to baby our ends.

Last edited by scorpian; 03-23-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to scorpian For This Useful Post:
blueberry2118 (06-03-2012), ButterMilk (02-18-2012), CaliiSwagg (02-19-2012), CurlyNiquee (06-26-2011), lisanaturally (06-11-2012), Serenity_Peace (02-20-2012), Willow00 (02-19-2012)
  #6  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Mellowqueen's Avatar
Mellowqueen Mellowqueen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 22
Thanks: 258
Thanked 66 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

I can't read French, so I can't read the article, but I disagree that Black Women's hair grows slower. How would you explain mixed race women? Do we then go into percentages, such as someone being 25% Black and 75% White, so there hair grows faster because they have more white in them? Since alot of American Blacks and Blacks of other nations are of mixed ancestry, can we really claim that one race defines the hair growth rate?
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mellowqueen For This Useful Post:
ButterMilk (02-18-2012), CurlyNiquee (06-26-2011), Willow00 (02-19-2012)
  #7  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Crackers Phinn's Avatar
Crackers Phinn Crackers Phinn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,039
Blog Entries: 63
Thanks: 53,214
Thanked 33,254 Times in 3,616 Posts
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 36 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

It's not a sign of superiority if their hair grows faster than ours. So there's no need to get upset about it.

I have a half white half japanese friend who has gone from shoulder length to waist length THREE TIMES since I started my hair journey 2 years ago. Even if I hadn't done a BC, at most I'd probably be at bra strap, in the same time. she would have cut off more hair than I had retained. I know that me comparing myself to one person isn't irrefutable evidence, but I give the example because I've never met another black person whose hair grows that fast.

I'm rambling, I hope you get what I mean.
Reply With Quote
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Crackers Phinn For This Useful Post:
*CherryPie* (06-26-2011), AlwaysNatural (06-03-2012), Another Star (08-05-2012), ButterMilk (02-18-2012), cutiebe2 (02-20-2012), Dee Raven (06-26-2011), dollface0023 (02-18-2012), ebonyseas (06-26-2011), GaiasDaughter24 (02-18-2012), growinghealthyhair (06-26-2011), Guyaneek (06-03-2012), HappilyLiberal (02-18-2012), jancan7 (02-18-2012), kinkylove (06-05-2013), KurlyNinja (02-20-2012), lady_godiva (06-26-2011), manter26 (02-19-2012), MotionThickness (02-18-2012), Rei (06-27-2011), RibzyMitzi7 (07-26-2012), RoseGolden (06-26-2011), Sanity (06-03-2012), sassy2011 (06-03-2012), Serenity_Peace (02-20-2012), smwrigh3 (06-26-2011), Theresamonet (02-18-2012), TuesdayGirl (02-20-2012), Willow00 (02-19-2012)
  #8  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Poohbear's Avatar
Poohbear Poohbear is offline
FearfullyWonderfullyMade
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Black Mecca
Posts: 20,880
Blog Entries: 13
Thanks: 7,913
Thanked 14,746 Times in 3,069 Posts
Mentioned: 822 Post(s)
Tagged: 34 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaniKeys
I just read a French article (http://www.aufeminin.com/mag/beaute/d1259/c34374.html) that stated that it has been scientifically proven (they gave numbers) that Black women's hair grows slower than Asian's and Caucasian's hair

"...Ils poussent très lentement, 0,8 cm par mois (1,1 cm pour les Caucasiens et 1,3 cm pour les Asiatiques)."

I personally DO NOT believe this, what y'all think?
UGH! The articles people keep coming up with these days. I agree with you, I do not believe the statement either. They need to stop looking at hair growth collectively. Hair growth is all based on each individual person regardless of race.
__________________
Natural hair since May 2005! 4a/b tighly coiled texture! Goal of WL by 12/31/14!
My Hair Pics! password: hairbear
My YouTube Channel!
Purchase beauty products from me! http://www.marykay.com/jgpeete
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Poohbear For This Useful Post:
AuNaturalMaMa (06-27-2011), ButterMilk (02-18-2012), CaliiSwagg (02-19-2012), CurlyNiquee (06-26-2011), Dee Raven (06-26-2011), Jewell (06-26-2011), nicole625 (06-26-2011), Serenity_Peace (02-20-2012), Willow00 (02-19-2012)
  #9  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Poetrygirl's Avatar
Poetrygirl Poetrygirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

I disagree and would also be interested in learning how they conducted their study. I have a Caucasian friend who has had short hair her entire life, and we've known each other since elementary school, she says that once her hair reaches shoulder length it seems to just stop growing. I think that African American's hair appears to grow slower because we do so much to our hair, curling it, coloring it, braiding and other things that can break it off. I personally think it depends on the person, no matter their race because everyone's body chemistry is different and just because one person in the Caucasian race can grow to their knee caps does not mean that they all can, my friend is an example of that. There are a number of things that may contribute to slower hair growth in some people, including diet, exercise, poor hair care regimen, illness & stress, different medications a person takes and even heredity.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poetrygirl For This Useful Post:
Jewell (06-26-2011)
  #10  
Old 03-23-2007, 06:39 PM
MissMarie's Avatar
MissMarie MissMarie is offline
***sigh***
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Its silly to break things down by race or ethnicity when within a group you'll have people with different curl patterns, volume and strand thickness, genetic programmed hair growth ability and hair care habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoily
I have a half white half japanese friend who has gone from shoulder length to waist length THREE TIMES since I started my hair journey 2 years ago. Even if I hadn't done a BC, at most I'd probably be at bra strap, in the same time. she would have cut off more hair than I had retained. I know that me comparing myself to one person isn't irrefutable evidence, but I give the example because I've never met another black person whose hair grows that fast.
Growing up my cousin would cut her hair chin length at the beginning of summer, and by the end of summer it'd be past sl/apl. Her hair grows fast like my aunt's who has gone from sl to bsl in less than a year (I hated that their hair grew so fast and mine seemed to not grow at all, little did I understand what cutting out chemicals and heat could do). Their hair doesn't grow as fast as your friend's, but there are many non-blacks whose hair doesn't grow as fast as their's does. Your friend sounds like she's very lucky.
I wouldn't be surprised that if charted there is a slight difference between growth rates between the average, but that you have a huge overlap (like overlapping bell curves). I've known white girls whose hair grew slowly or they couldn't retain length because their hair was so extra thin, weak and fine.
__________________

http://public.fotki.com/Marie1837/
pword: in profile
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMarie For This Useful Post:
CurlyNiquee (06-26-2011), Serenity_Peace (02-20-2012)
  #11  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 PM
KEWLKAT103's Avatar
KEWLKAT103 KEWLKAT103 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 4,690
Thanks: 3,248
Thanked 2,279 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

I'm no scientist and I haven't done any studies, but from what I've seen I would agree with the study. Yes, there are acceptions to the rule but for the most part I think AA hair does grow slower. That doesn't mean that we are less than, it's just hair.
And as for taking care of yourself inside and your hair will grow just as fast, I disagree. Yes, it helps, but I've seen white crack heads with longer hair than the healthiest AA.
Don't shoot me it's JMO
__________________

http://www.craftyearthmama.com
Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to KEWLKAT103 For This Useful Post:
Another Star (08-05-2012), cutiebe2 (02-20-2012), ebonyseas (06-26-2011), GaiasDaughter24 (02-18-2012), growinghealthyhair (06-26-2011), howyoudoin (06-26-2011), kinkylove (06-05-2013), MotionThickness (02-18-2012), nzeee (06-25-2011), ScorpioBeauty09 (06-27-2011), Serenity_Peace (02-20-2012), shiro (02-20-2012), smwrigh3 (06-26-2011), Theresamonet (02-18-2012), zoromo (06-26-2011)
  #12  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 PM
MamaBraidedIt MamaBraidedIt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Hmm, I believe it. There will always be special cases and examples that we could give that will disprove their conclusion, but I do believe that they are speaking generally, in regards to the majority of people. I don't find it as a bad thing. It may be a study that may get people heated, but only because hair, particularly long hair, is such a prized possession across all races of people.

Last edited by MamaBraidedIt; 03-23-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaBraidedIt For This Useful Post:
howyoudoin (06-26-2011), zoromo (06-26-2011)
  #13  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Mellowqueen's Avatar
Mellowqueen Mellowqueen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 22
Thanks: 258
Thanked 66 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEWLKAT103
Yes, it helps, but I've seen white crack heads with longer hair than the healthiest AA.
Don't shoot me it's JMO
I will agree.....
Maybe because they don't comb it, so essentially its a "protective style".
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mellowqueen For This Useful Post:
Another Star (08-05-2012), Jewell (06-26-2011), Windsy (06-26-2011)
  #14  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 PM
PinkPeony PinkPeony is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: the best of all poss. worlds
Posts: 7,711
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 8,823
Thanked 4,722 Times in 893 Posts
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Even if it's true,that doesn't mean we can't have long hair.Just look at all the members here.And 0,3 mm per month difference isn't even 2inch a year.
Having said that I have no reason to doubt this study,however it doesn't prove me that I can't reach my hairgoals either
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PinkPeony For This Useful Post:
brittle_hair (02-18-2012), jenaccess (02-19-2012), Jewell (06-26-2011), LadyRaider (02-18-2012), LightEyedMami (06-03-2012), nzeee (06-25-2011), RibzyMitzi7 (07-26-2012), RoseGolden (06-26-2011), Willow00 (02-19-2012)
  #15  
Old 03-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Mestiza's Avatar
Mestiza Mestiza is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *~*~Under The Cherry Moon~*~*
Posts: 11,481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Arrow Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Here's the English translation of the article:


Crisp, curly hair…, the style afro is posted or, a contrario, is smoothed!
African, West-Indian, Maghrebian, Latino-Américaines has hair larger than the Asian ones and the Caucasians. They push very slowly, 0,8 cm per month (1,1 cm for the Caucasians and 1,3 cm for the Asian ones).
Subjected regularly to the défrisage, too tightened braiding and weaving, they weaken and break easily.

To have a beautiful curly hair, crisp or defrized, it is necessary to hydrate the scalp - deprived of a qualitative film hydrolipidic according to its deficiency in sebum, and to nourish capillary fibre to compensate for the quasi-absence of the film hydroprotector.

Today, of the care targeted, technical, to measure, tonicities and brightness give again to them.

Copyright © a 1999-2007 - auFeminin.com - site auFeminin.com Network




I'm just getting in and I'm exhausted. I'll have to return w/ my thoughts on the topic after I give my body and brain a rest.

Last edited by Mestiza; 03-23-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM
shunta's Avatar
shunta shunta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern Girl
Posts: 8,801
Thanks: 6,770
Thanked 18,022 Times in 3,268 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 45 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEWLKAT103
I'm no scientist and I haven't done any studies, but from what I've seen I would agree with the study. Yes, there are acceptions to the rule but for the most part I think AA hair does grow slower. That doesn't mean that we are less than, it's just hair.
And as for taking care of yourself inside and your hair will grow just as fast, I disagree. Yes, it helps, but I've seen white crack heads with longer hair than the healthiest AA.
Don't shoot me it's JMO
Well said. I believe it, too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Mortons's Avatar
Mortons Mortons is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In a sea of Becky's
Posts: 21,408
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks: 23,615
Thanked 60,242 Times in 7,080 Posts
Mentioned: 927 Post(s)
Tagged: 87 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

I agree with the article. I was never able to get my hair as long as my asian/white friends and its not just because some ends were coming off either. I believe that our hair, (especially when not in its natural state) grows at a slower rate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 PM
senimoni's Avatar
senimoni senimoni is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 4,691
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

I've read this on many occasions...I don't know about the caucasian part but I do think Asians as a whole have the fastest growth. I'd be interested in seeing the numbers..though. Nothing to get up in arms about imho.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Mystic Mystic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA
Posts: 4,295
Thanks: 1,027
Thanked 1,411 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

I agree with you JCoily. I take good care of my hair, must better than my two caucasian friends who use heat everyday and cut constantly. I also have a friend from France with 3c hair and they all grew their hair from a little less than APL to waist length in 12 months and used heat. My hair went from neck to shoulder in 2 years! and I used heat at a bare minimum.

Subconsciously, I know the ability to grow hair quickly is an individual thing and not race related. However, sometimes when I am frustrated with how slowly my hair grows, I often wonder if straight hair people (caucasian or mixed race) have the ability to grow hair faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoily
It's not a sign of superiority if their hair grows faster than ours. So there's no need to get upset about it.

I have a half white half japanese friend who has gone from shoulder length to waist length THREE TIMES since I started my hair journey 2 years ago. Even if I hadn't done a BC, at most I'd probably be at bra strap, in the same time. she would have cut off more hair than I had retained. I know that me comparing myself to one person isn't irrefutable evidence, but I give the example because I've never met another black person whose hair grows that fast.

I'm rambling, I hope you get what I mean.

Last edited by Mystic; 03-23-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 PM
KiniKakes's Avatar
KiniKakes KiniKakes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Harlem, NY
Posts: 5,000
Thanks: 244
Thanked 494 Times in 138 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Default Re: Hair growth based on ethnicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoily
It's not a sign of superiority if their hair grows faster than ours. So there's no need to get upset about it.

I have a half white half japanese friend who has gone from shoulder length to waist length THREE TIMES since I started my hair journey 2 years ago. Even if I hadn't done a BC, at most I'd probably be at bra strap, in the same time. she would have cut off more hair than I had retained. I know that me comparing myself to one person isn't irrefutable evidence, but I give the example because I've never met another black person whose hair grows that fast.
I agree with this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



» Advertisment

» Advertisment

» Advertisment

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2011, Long Hair Care Forum™, LLC.
Site Maintenance Nikos Dimopoulos - www.niden.net