Brazilian Straightener/ Relaxer

BahatiSeey2

Have you guys heard of this? My sister's best friend has had it done twice at a salon here in Atlanta by a Brazilian guy. Her hair is BEAUTIFUL, even before this, but it is really straight now. The thing is, she says when she washes it, it's back normal. The guy applies this 'solution' to her hair, blows it dry and then she can't wash/manipulate or 'sweat in her head/scalp' for a week. A week after the application , she comes back in, he washes it out, blows her and that's it. It's BONE straight, but still thick. Her hair is about mid back and it's unbelievable. Anyone heard of this, had it done? Pros/Cons. I'm considering doing it. Oh yeah, it's $300 or more. The second 'treatment' is in 3 months, then +6 months, then + 9 months, etc.

Afrolinda

Yes I heard about it but I'm still doubting about it because there are so many and I don't know which one to choose. Do you know the name of this "Brazilian straightener"? I'm thinking about using one of those ( they are all Brazilian straighteners or relaxers ):

Lisa hair profissional ( this is a straightener ) for thick, curls or frizzed hair

This is Indian Hair ( Brazilian straightener ) for Afro hair made of natural herbs

This is a creme to make it easier to comb your hair

I will come back with more.​

hersheyskiss

ive never heard of it.. but i am intrigued..and if you dont mind me asking.what was her hair type? ... and do you know if this is different than japanese straightening?

Edit oh I see Afrolinda posted something. I'm going to try this..if I can find it. Where are they sold?

Last edited:

Cleve_gryl

hersheyskiss said:
ive never heard of it.. but i am intrigued..and if you dont mind me asking.what was her hair type? ... and do you know if this is different than japanese straightening?

Edit oh I see Afrolinda posted something. I'm going to try this..if I can find it.

I know the Japanese straightening process can only be done on natural hair.

JLove74

Cleve_gryl said:
I know the Japanese straightening process can only be done on natural hair.

I've always read that the Japanese process shouldn't be used on hair of "afro texture" at all - natural or not.

Afrolinda

It is true what they say about Brazilian straighteners, my sister is the one who told me about it they have diverse straighteners and relaxers much more than in the U.S. for black people since they come in sooooo many different shades and types of hair that is why they decided to start so many different straighteners for black people made of natural ingredients ( no chemicals :) ). Here are some more:

Henê da amazônia is a natural straightener made of herbs

Alisa e tinge: This will straighten your hair and color it at the same time made of fruits and herbs.

I heard really good reviews about Brazilian straighteners until now, most of them are especially made for "Afro textured hair" the friend of my sister ( she's black and has coarse hair type ) is used to it and she likes it a lot. I 'm just having a hard time to choose from all of those straighteners. I could give you the websites but it's in portuguese. Anyway if anybody is interested I can still give you the adress;) .

Last edited:

JLove74

Afrolinda said:
It is true what they say about Brazilian straighteners, my sister is the one who told me about it they have diverse straighteners and relaxers much more than in the U.S. for black people since they come in sooooo many different shades and types of hair that is why they decided to start so many different straighteners for black people made of natural ingredients ( no chemicals :) ). Here are some more:

Henê da amazônia is a natural straightener made of herbs

Alisa e tinge: This will straighten your hair and color it at the same time made of fruits and herbs.

I heard really good reviews about Brazilian straighteners until now, most of them are especially made for "Afro textured hair" the friend of my sister ( she's black and has coarse hair type ) is used to it and she likes it a lot. I 'm just having a hard time to choose from all of those straighteners. I could give you the websites but it's in portuguese. Anyway if anybody is interested I can still give you the adress;) .

can you post the web adddress. I'll have my next door neighbor translate :)

Afrolinda

JLove74 said:
can you post the web adddress. I'll have my next door neighbor translate :)

www.embelleze.com.br ( go to "nossos produtos no varejo" and click it and than go to "transformaçao" or "salon secrets profissional" you will see a lot of straighteners ).

www.aromadocampo.com.br ( here you can translate the page in English, go to "transformation" to see hair straighteners ).

Afrolinda

hersheyskiss said:

Edit oh I see Afrolinda posted something. I'm going to try this..if I can find it. Where are they sold?

I can't buy it online, it is impossible:( you can only find it in Brazil I guess, I don't know. But I'm still looking to see if I can get it somewhere else in Europe or America. If somebody knows a place where they sell "Brazilian straighteners" please let me know.

XXXtacy

BahatiSeey2 said:
Have you guys heard of this? My sister's best friend has had it done twice at a salon here in Atlanta by a Brazilian guy. Her hair is BEAUTIFUL, even before this, but it is really straight now. The thing is, she says when she washes it, it's back normal. The guy applies this 'solution' to her hair, blows it dry and then she can't wash/manipulate or 'sweat in her head/scalp' for a week. A week after the application , she comes back in, he washes it out, blows her and that's it. It's BONE straight, but still thick. Her hair is about mid back and it's unbelievable. Anyone heard of this, had it done? Pros/Cons. I'm considering doing it. Oh yeah, it's $300 or more. The second 'treatment' is in 3 months, then +6 months, then + 9 months, etc.

I am happy for your sister. I am toying with the idea of perming my hair. Where is this stylist located in Atlanta & what is the shops name?

nikkivale

I am sooo interested in these products. Hopefully before I go to Brazil this year I'll be able to research where to stock up on some of these straighteners!.:) I want to be natural but have the option to go straight without putting chemical or a bunch of heat on my hair, this sounds really good.

BahatiSeey2

I'm not sure what her hair type is. She always had EXTREMELY thick, but curly hair. This is not a Japanese straightener. She has 'coal' black hair to begin with, she said the guy has the 'solution' in a spray bottle. I'll try to get more details. I'm about 3.5 months post and I've been considering transitioning, so my sister mentioned that her best friend had a Brazialian straightener done. She came by today and her hair looked really healthy and was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO soft. She said her hair has been growing like a weed. Now, I can attest that she normally gets a lot of growth. But she says she's had two cuts and it just keeps growing, it's been less that 6 months and she goes in to let him wash it. She says it is really easy and she loves it. I'll call her to get more details. I've known her all my life, she's my sister's oldest/dearest friend so she would not steer me wrong. The thing is, I'm in Atlanta for Spring Break and I'll only be here about 5 more days...she says you have to come back after a week to have the solution washed out (b/c he leaves it on). Plus, I plan on exercising, and that is a no no during the week.

Afrolinda

BahatiSeey2 said:
I'm not sure what her hair type is. She always had EXTREMELY thick, but curly hair. This is not a Japanese straightener. She has 'coal' black hair to begin with, she said the guy has the 'solution' in a spray bottle. I'll try to get more details. I'm about 3.5 months post and I've been considering transitioning, so my sister mentioned that her best friend had a Brazialian straightener done. She came by today and her hair looked really healthy and was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO soft. She said her hair has been growing like a weed. Now, I can attest that she normally gets a lot of growth. But she says she's had two cuts and it just keeps growing, it's been less that 6 months and she goes in to let him wash it. She says it is really easy and she loves it. I'll call her to get more details. I've known her all my life, she's my sister's oldest/dearest friend so she would not steer me wrong. The thing is, I'm in Atlanta for Spring Break and I'll only be here about 5 more days...she says you have to come back after a week to have the solution washed out (b/c he leaves it on). Plus, I plan on exercising, and that is a no no during the week.

Can you give me the adress of this Brazilian salon in Atlanta please?

BahatiSeey2

404-264-1007. Only one person does it, he's Brazilian and Stacey said he doesn't speak much English. I'll find out what his name is tomorrow if you'd like.

Afrolinda

BahatiSeey2 said:
404-264-1007. Only one person does it, he's Brazilian and Stacey said he doesn't speak much English. I'll find out what his name is tomorrow if you'd like.

That will be great, thank you.

BahatiSeey2

It (the keratin one) does sound like it. I went to the website and many of the question/answers seemed similar to this. She did say that the guy doesn't speak English well and when asked about it, is elusive as if he doesn't want the other stylists at Dobel to know the secret.

Especially this part:

Can I go into the pool or ocean after the treatment?

Yes.

How long will the treatment stay on my hair?

2 months on virgin hair, and 3-4 on any other type of hair.

What shampoo can I use after doing the treatment?

We recommend our shampoo, because it does not contain Sodium Chloride, and it also has Keratin and UV protection.

Do I have to do touch-ups on my next visit or the whole head?

The whole head.

When should I have the treatment done again?

3 months or as needed.

nikkivale

SohoHair said:
I went to that first website and watched her demo video, it's utterly fascinating!:eek: I wonder if any LHCF ladies will have this done anytime soon...

I'm anxiously waiting too see too. I get a little iffy about 'natural relaxers' sometimes after that Copa/Rio thing.

Lucia

Yeah I'm a little sceptical about this, I think you can get anybody's hair straight with the iron on 450 degrees.
The straightening part sounds ok but does your curly hair come back, the same?

BahatiSeey2

LMAO:lachen: :lachen: . I tried the Rio, it was like putting pudding on your hair. My sister had a negative reaction but all it did was loosen my hair some. I'm almost 4 months post and I'm seriously considering doing it. If I do, yall will be the first to know.

SohoHair

BahatiSeey2 said:

Maybe you can convince her to let you take some pics?? :D I'd love to see how her hair looks like after she's washed it with no heat...:scratchch

AKA-Tude

This sounds SOOO AMAZING!!!

Please keep us posted with any developments.

Sounds like something I would be very interested in.

tetbelle

I knew a Brazilian girl that wore her hair curly however she used a brazilian straightner now this particular straigtner was supposedly just to relax the curl so that you could still where it curly so it wouldn't completely straighten your hair. It smelled like a strong lye relaxer to me. I figured it was just some relaxer that she didn't leave in that long. Let me tell you though the products that they have available to them are amazing. They have such a wide variety of hair products for black woman it's incredible. She had this one thing that I wish I could buy my wash n' go was sick when I used it but for the life of me I could not find it in the US we looked everywhere and I live in NJ. We went to the Portugese/Brazilian section of Newark and could not find it. Here is a link to that product http://coiffeurshop.com.br/produtos_descricao.asp?lang=pt_BR&codigo_produto=10