Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Head's up! Head's up! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Oil and grease breaks my hair!

Hi there ladies, here’s my problem - how to add moisture between washes especially to the ends . Oil and grease always breaks my hair of in my hand whilst I add it to my hair, and seems to make it weaker, just as if its wet.

I’ve tried all the oils from red palm oil to coconut to mango butter. I can get away with it in the henna and pre wash just not when my hair is dry or as a sealant right before I dry. Any suggestions?

Is the oil giving my hair to much moisture therefore it breaks? After I flat iron it , I could even comb or brush (I don’t do brushing though) my hair without any breakage until I add oil, then off it comes!

This is my current regimen:
1. Co wash or cow/moo wash 3-4 times a week (moisture)
2. 6 weekly aphogee treatments (protein)
3. Weekly - 10 day henna treatment (thickness/ strength )
4. Always pre-poo with con + oil or treacle + sugar + lime (elasticity)
5.leave - ins - Nexus Humectress, Elasta QP H -two, and maybe V05 silk serum
6. Seal with serum (Chi)
7. Pat dry, wrap in silk, bonnet dry until 80 -90% dry, shake out then air dry the rest
8. Flat iron with more Chi or just finger comb and leave it
9. Baggie + silk wrap at night with a little infusion 23
10. Relax every 8 -10 weeks
Am I missing something?

One more question if I may, if oil and serum seals the moisture in, how do you add moisture to your when the original oil or serum is still on it? Am I right to keep washing the sealant off in order to let the moisture get at my hair before re - sealing it?

I’ve been lurking for ages and only done a few posts. this is my first thread and nervous / excited to get a reply. I've pinched my regime from you all and its turned my hair around! so thank you thankyou so much. I have searched for the answer to this problem and cannot find it. If there is a thread about people who have experienced this please let me know?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-28-2007, 07:43 PM
HoneyDew's Avatar
HoneyDew HoneyDew is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbia MD
Posts: 12,276
Thanks: 362
Thanked 563 Times in 182 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

Personally I don't think you are moisturizing enough. Oil and grease just don't do it alone. You should find a more moisturizing leave-in, in my opinion. Other ladies chime in with your tips! I can only speak for what works for me, but a VERY moisturizing leave in works well for me.

Personally I use Qhemet's Sidr Tree Butter Balm topped off with heat protectant on my wet hair. After it is airdried, I flatiron w/o adding any more product.

My hair stays moist because of the Sidr Tree. I cannot use it on dry hair because it is too heavy for me. Every other morning after I style my hair I use JUST A LITTLE Aveda Universal Styling cream for extra moisture and shine to get me through the day.

My hair is NEVER dry.

So I think, based on your regimen, that you need more moisture in the way of something with more water in it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-28-2007, 07:44 PM
HoneyDew's Avatar
HoneyDew HoneyDew is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbia MD
Posts: 12,276
Thanks: 362
Thanked 563 Times in 182 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

What's you hair type? Are you relaxed or natural? That can help with product suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
seeminglysweet's Avatar
seeminglysweet seeminglysweet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,500
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head's up!
Hi there ladies, here’s my problem - how to add moisture between washes especially to the ends . Oil and grease always breaks my hair of in my hand whilst I add it to my hair, and seems to make it weaker, just as if its wet.

I’ve tried all the oils from red palm oil to coconut to mango butter. I can get away with it in the henna and pre wash just not when my hair is dry or as a sealant right before I dry. Any suggestions?

Is the oil giving my hair to much moisture therefore it breaks? After I flat iron it , I could even comb or brush (I don’t do brushing though) my hair without any breakage until I add oil, then off it comes!

This is my current regimen:
1. Co wash or cow/moo wash 3-4 times a week (moisture)
2. 6 weekly aphogee treatments (protein)
3. Weekly - 10 day henna treatment (thickness/ strength )
4. Always pre-poo with con + oil or treacle + sugar + lime (elasticity)
5.leave - ins - Nexus Humectress, Elasta QP H -two, and maybe V05 silk serum
6. Seal with serum (Chi)
7. Pat dry, wrap in silk, bonnet dry until 80 -90% dry, shake out then air dry the rest
8. Flat iron with more Chi or just finger comb and leave it
9. Baggie + silk wrap at night with a little infusion 23
10. Relax every 8 -10 weeks
Am I missing something?

One more question if I may, if oil and serum seals the moisture in, how do you add moisture to your when the original oil or serum is still on it? Am I right to keep washing the sealant off in order to let the moisture get at my hair before re - sealing it?

I’ve been lurking for ages and only done a few posts. this is my first thread and nervous / excited to get a reply. I've pinched my regime from you all and its turned my hair around! so thank you thankyou so much. I have searched for the answer to this problem and cannot find it. If there is a thread about people who have experienced this please let me know?
Thank you!
Do you deep condition? Using heat? with a creamy or oil conditioner (or combination) This may need to be added to your regime to lock in some moisture.

What about a moisturizing cream? Like Qhemet Alma and Olive or Elasta QP Mango butter? These may be best for your hair since you have problems with oils and grease.

Also, you asked if the oil is providing too much moisture. Oil does not moisturize, it seals in moisture. I think your main issue is too much protein. Weekly henna and apoghee every 6 weeks may be too much for your hair, especially if you aren't deep conditioning.

And how often are you flat ironing?
Everytime you co-wash (3-4 times a week???) If so that is your #1 offense.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
shunta's Avatar
shunta shunta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern Girl
Posts: 8,801
Thanks: 6,770
Thanked 18,022 Times in 3,268 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 45 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

Seeminglysweet brought up a good point, you may be overdoing the protein.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2007, 07:11 AM
tarheelgurl's Avatar
tarheelgurl tarheelgurl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In line at Costco
Posts: 6,098
Blog Entries: 9
Thanks: 5,734
Thanked 5,003 Times in 879 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

My hair hates oil and grease too. I can't put anything heavy on it or it will break too. We can start this journey to find the right moisterizers together!
__________________
______________________________________
"All I want to do is be more like me and be less like you" Linkin Park
PM me to be my Farmville neighbor!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Head's up! Head's up! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

Thank you so much for your replies! much love out to you all for this.

HoneyDew, what sort of ingredients is in the Qhemet's Sidr Tree Butter Balm? the reason I asked is because I’m in the U.K and may not be able to get the product, but one similar to it.

Oh yeah, I’ve messed with my hair. You see, I had a profective relaxer, which was great except it wouldn't do the roots, so I gave up and platted it up in extension braids for 2 years, didn't bother to take care of it, when I took out the braids I had length but my 4b hair was a wreck. that’s when I found LHCF. so I experimented because my hair had to be cut of anyway, (I checked the split end chart and I had every one of the types). I figured I got nothing to lose, right? relaxed with phyto, didn't like it, waited a month relaxed with ORS, loved it, co washed every day, with different products, kitchen ingredients, cut my hair back 4 inches all over, it was all good fun, but, somehow my hair recovered which is a shock, and testament to the advice given here. Its now looking pretty good (just mid. nape of neck) but wouldn't take grease/ oil without breaking. The shedding has virtually stopped, breakage reduced.

I really enjoyed being a product junkie, and trying stuff from the kitchen, I loved it, love my new hair hobbies, wrote up the results like a school report. I'm just stuck on the daily moisture bit so now need to ask the teacher (LHCF ladies) for hints!


seeminglysweet, Do you deep condition? yes, but I’m using the henna as the deep conditioner! I have a standing hair steamer so I use that to 'deep condition' my hair. I add honey, V05 moisture soak con. and oil to the mix.

What about a moisturizing cream? looking for a moisturising cream! don’t know if I can get the Qhemet Alma and Olive but have tried Elasta QP Mango butter and my hair wouldn't take the oils.

I will add a deep con (weekly?) dump the infusium and keep with the Elasta QP H-TWO. I know oil is a sealant, its just that I keep reading the ladies here saying ' I moisturize the ends with castor oil, or mango butter or jojoba oil etc' so I just didn't understand.

And how often are you flat ironing?
Every time you co-wash (3-4 times a week???) If so that is your #1 offence.
- OH the shame! I know, I know.....

shunta, I’ll cut down on the protein, maybe henna once a month?

tarheelgurl, we can do this! I thought everybody was going to say s-curl, and I hate that stuff, dries my hair hard. What have you tried and failed with?
Anyway, I something to think about here, deep con. weekly(?) Daily with rose water? How about that sealant question though? do does the moisture get through? Hey guys, thanks again.

Last edited by Head's up!; 03-01-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2007, 05:20 PM
newlynappy newlynappy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

Lime makes my hair (especially the ends) very dry and crispy. I tried the coconut milk and lime combo and my hair has felt like straw ever since... Anyone have a similar experience?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Head's up! Head's up! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

newlynappy, yes it messed up my hair to! it was only temp. a couple of co washes later and it was back to normal. i will never try it again. Amla, lime and ACV all makes my hair dry and hard. coconut mixed with oil as a pre poo was good tho. and acv to neutralize my relaxer was also worth the trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
angellazette's Avatar
angellazette angellazette is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Back in the CHI
Posts: 2,887
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

to the OP,

There was a time when I would run my fingers through my hair and have lots and lots of breakage. My ends were damaged and I did a cut and that helped. Do you think you need a trim?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Head's up! Head's up! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellazette
to the OP,

There was a time when I would run my fingers through my hair and have lots and lots of breakage. My ends were damaged and I did a cut and that helped. Do you think you need a trim?
Yes! (sorry i didn't answer sooner, i didn't know what OP meant! lol)

i gave it a good deep chop from just past my shoulder, to inch below my ears, that reduced breakage a lot. i think it was mainly the old profective relaxer i had before platting my hair up. it was breaking, because i didn't know anything about protein/ moisture balance and just oiled up the plats didn't wash them properly, pulled the plats out having wet the hair first for ease of removal, and used cheap syn. hair that cut into the relaxed hair. sounds like a hair disaster movie!

thanks for looking in, I'm still looking for a very light, low/no oil daily moisturizer that wouldn't leave my hair feeling hard like moisture aid and s- curl did. anyway on with the search....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-10-2007, 08:05 AM
aprilj's Avatar
aprilj aprilj is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 373
Thanks: 27
Thanked 51 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head's up!
Yes! (sorry i didn't answer sooner, i didn't know what OP meant! lol)

i gave it a good deep chop from just past my shoulder, to inch below my ears, that reduced breakage a lot. i think it was mainly the old profective relaxer i had before platting my hair up. it was breaking, because i didn't know anything about protein/ moisture balance and just oiled up the plats didn't wash them properly, pulled the plats out having wet the hair first for ease of removal, and used cheap syn. hair that cut into the relaxed hair. sounds like a hair disaster movie!

thanks for looking in, I'm still looking for a very light, low/no oil daily moisturizer that wouldn't leave my hair feeling hard like moisture aid and s- curl did. anyway on with the search....

NTM is a great Leave In and it doesn't leave your hair hard. HTH
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-10-2007, 08:26 AM
cicilypayne's Avatar
cicilypayne cicilypayne is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: miami, fl.
Posts: 1,397
Thanks: 319
Thanked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

I don't think that its the oil that is breaking your hair. I think your doing so much that to find the one thing that's causing breakage is too hard. If you stop using oil right now all over would everything be okay? If so - easy problem solved. I think if not then a good moisturizer liquid or cream I like infusium for moisture or ORS olive oil creme leave in. One of these should work and you don't have to seal it in with oil a creme moisturizer would probably work best. And consider less manipulation, less product use, less co wash, and maybe stick with what works and not try so many things.

I know the advice on here is so great that you want to try everything that's being talked about but everybody's different. Resist temptation to be a PJ

and one more thing thats alot of henna I always heard that henna can be very drying you may need to deep condition with a Big time Quality Moisturizing Conditioner maybe the pricey ones.

HTH
__________________

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Shoulder length now on quest for - even, APL length, thicker hair :

Last edited by cicilypayne; 03-10-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Head's up! Head's up! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Oil and grease breaks my hair!

i dying to get some NTM, they don't sell it in the UK! but thanks for the tip, I'm gonna have to cough up for the postage.

i think your right about messing with the hair too much. I thought that if i did the opp. to what my mom did did, back when i was a kid, since my hair never grow beyond shoulder length then, it might grow now.

i got this theory from searches on this forum. it appeared, that thous who had long hair as a kid, then it fell off as an adult, who then returned to a simple regime like what mom would of done,or similar i.e wash, con, grease up, plat down left for the week, comb out wash, con, etc got their hair back and more. thats for approx. 45% of the ladies here then theres the approx 20% that it may of worked for if theirs moms didn't try all the new perms etc on them as kid, and the rest that aways had short hair, like me, whom have grown it, but with a regime. Hence the pjism, and co-washes etc. I'm going to ease up on the henna, good piece of advice! off to buy the inf.23 moisture tomorrow. thank you all!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



» Advertisment

» Advertisment

» Advertisment

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2011, Long Hair Care Forum™, LLC.
Site Maintenance Nikos Dimopoulos - www.niden.net