The most natural looking Phony Pony

BrockStar

Ok so I know a lot of you are good with patience due to your dedication to your hair, etc. So let me tell you what I did and I love my phony pony now! I went to the BSS and bought a synthetic ponytail with the comb and drawstrings. They did not have human hair ponytails like many BSS's don't. When I got home I hated it. It looked like barbie doll hair...lol.:eek: So here's what I did:

What you need:
Hair needle and thread
Half pack of your favorite hair
A synthetic ponytail on a net with combs

1. I cut off all of the hair from the net
2. I flipped the net inside out and sewed hair around the perimeter (when you examine the ponytail, you'll see what I'm talking about)
3. I flipped the net back outwards and sewed tracks straight across the net. The hair sewed around the perimeter will cover these tracks. I believe I sewed about 12 tracks to make the ponytail look full. You can add/take away depending on the texture of the ponytail.
4. I put the ponytail around the bun and walked out of the house!! lol!

This way you can get human hair at any texture that you like! Hope this helps!! I was sooo happy with the results!

ladylibra

girl thank you for this!!! i love drawstring ponies cuz they're quick and convenient, but hate how that fake barbie hair feels... now i have a good alternative! :D

Nice & Wavy

What an ingenious idea!!! I don't wear phoney ponies because of the fact that they look so shiny and not natural, especially with natural hair. Now with this great idea, I can wear one and keep my ends protected when I go away.

Thank u, thank u!!!

that looks great!!! what kinda of hair is that and how many inches??? Is it durable?? I'm definitely going to make one of these...thanks gurl

glamazon386

You could always just take the tracks (human hair) and pin it around your own ponytail. That always works for me. I can't see the point in buying a phony just to dismember it plus human hair all to make your own.

BrockStar

I used wet n wavy, 10 inches...Bijoux is the brand (in the green package). Yeah pinning the tracks on is an option as mentioned before, however, I like to be able to take it off every night with ease, maybe do some MTG or something, and to put in on the morning...it only takes a minute tops. It is extremely durable...I'm embarrassed to say I've used it about 6 or 7 weeks when I total it together and every time I wash it, it gets a nice curl to it. Also, I've been jetskiing, snorkeling, clubbing, everything with this pony! The drawstring helps keep it on and then u just put a few big bobby pins around to secure it. Everybody tinks it real!! I love the Bijoux brand of hair though. I swear by it.

Nonie

BrockStar said:
Ok so I know a lot of you are good with patience due to your dedication to your hair, etc. So let me tell you what I did and I love my phony pony now! I went to the BSS and bought a synthetic ponytail with the comb and drawstrings. They did not have human hair ponytails like many BSS's don't. When I got home I hated it. It looked like barbie doll hair...lol.:eek: So here's what I did:

What you need:
Hair needle and thread

2. I flipped the net inside out and sewed hair around the perimeter (when you examine the ponytail, you'll see what I'm talking about)
3. I flipped the net back outwards and sewed tracks straight across the net. The hair sewed around the perimeter will cover these tracks. I believe I sewed about 12 tracks to make the ponytail look full. You can add/take away depending on the texture of the ponytail.

This way you can get human hair at any texture that you like! Hope this helps!! I was sooo happy with the results!
That is so clever, Brockstar, and a cheap way to get a human hair phoney pony. ;)

You remind me of the day I decided to do a style change.

I'd worn braid extensions for a while with mini cornrows at the front for a while. For a change of style, I gradually extended the cornrows so that they ended further back on my head...except I didn't like how thin the braids looked at the back since so few were then left in. This was around the time I was treating my bald spot in the back, so while I did consider taking the braids off altogehter, I couldn't sport my own puff since I had this gap of short newly sprouted hair. I couldn't cornrow the back of my head since I can't see back there to part straight (and I'm too lazy to work w/ two mirrors). So I decided a fake puff was the way to go. Only I didn't have one, but was sure the BSS near my home would have one.

So I undid the remaining extensions and put that hair in plaits. Donned a cap and headed to the BSS. No afro puffs were available. I didn't want a straight hair piece, so I settled for sth curly (think jheri curl curly) in a plastic bag. I asked the girls that worked at the store if it was a phoney pony (since I had never bought one before and wasn't sure if "piece" is what puffs were called and couldn't open it to see), and they assured me it was. This was the day before a holiday so I had to get the right thing. On getting home later that day, I found I had bought some tracks. :mad: The day after the holiday would be a work day so I had to make this work!

Know what I did? It's no lie that necessity is the mother of invention :grin:: Took a pair of pantyhose and cut the legs off. Sewed up the holes to make a cap. Put the cap on my stuffed bunny and went ahead and sewed the tracks on as one would a weave. I really needed more hair, coz you know how dolls have bald parts if the hair falls a certain way, that's what I had ended up with. So I'd have to keep my head still if I wore it like that. There was also another problem. The hair was longer than my own and considering the texture and color were also off, it'd look so forced and fake if I wore it like that. Just before I could get the scissors, I got a brainwave and realized I couldn't afford to get rid of any hair since I was lacking in quantity (remember I wished I had more hair to fill the gaps). I remembered I had hair nets and knew just how to use the volume of hair I had to solve my quantity issue. Once I put the net over the weave, the hair formed a nice puff shape with no gaps. Bingo!

I tested it by wearing it over my square plaits. The elastic of the pantyhose provided just the right tension to hold onto my head w/o giving me a headache. I was elated. Here is a glimpse of my homemade puff:

I was so pleased w/ my creation and got a lot of compliments on my "bouffant" as my coworker called it. :grin: I did eventually get a proper afro puff that matched my 4 hair, but memories of the short affair I had w/ this puff are among my most treasured. :love: Including the day that I learned the hard way that bobby pins are my friend: In a fit of Z formation, head shaking, finger-snapping, hip shaking girl-gone-mad anger, I sent the thing flying off my head exposing my messy plaits. :lol: Luckily there was only one witness to my rant, but it gave my hubby an op to tell me "I told you so". He had suggested I secure it with pins the first day I wore it but it had felt so firm on my head that I had assured him they weren't necessary. Well, I've learned to listen.:p

Last edited:

Nonie

BrockStar said:
Hi guys!! Here are the Homemade phony pony pics!! I hope it helps!! It's done wonders for me!

P.S. (Take care of it like regular human hair weave or it'll get tangled)

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7669/ponyes6.png

[img=http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3438/kkrisnw8.th.png]

That's really nice. And it's good coz you can use a curling iron or flat iron to change the "style" so while protecting your own hair, you can still enjoy wearing it differently. Very cool!

InNeedofHairapy

Wow! Brockstar and Nonie..that was pretty damned creative of you..I might have to try it. I bought a ponytail that I am NOT in love with at ALL..and since you can't return it, and I'll never wear it again, I might try this.

bLackButtaFly

I really like this. It looks natural, and I'm not one for phony pony's, but this may have to be my next protective style.

BrockStar

Yay I'm glad you ladies like it! Also remember to sew it tight and secure each track by a knot to ensure the durablility. If you are not a usual with weave, the wet n wavy looks the most natural after you wet it,...in my opinion anyway:grin: and I usually put a dime size of mousse in it after I wet it. Make sure you wash it regularly to keep it up...good luck!

LovinLocks

You could always just take the tracks (human hair) and pin it around your own ponytail. That always works for me. I can't see the point in buying a phony just to dismember it plus human hair all to make your own.

Now, in my minds eye; THIS makes sense. Course translating that to a piece of my own might just be anotha thang, hahaha. Can't wait to try this.

Wonder how much this "real" hair would cost???

p381

What you need:
Hair needle and thread

Thanks to Selfstyled, i found this old thread. I'm so impressed i had to bump it. :clapping:
Think i'll be trying this out later!

growinglong777

That is so adorable. I am going to try this with some leftover extensions plus curly hair, and make me a phony pony to help me through this summer humidity. I just love your hair BTW.:grin:

Lucky's Mom

What you need:
Hair needle and thread

This is exactly what I do...

Thanks for posting!