Board Recommendations that didn't work for you?

Dolapo

Re: Board Recommendations that didn\'t work for you

CON shampoo (green bottle with yellow cap) - tangled hair
mango butter - smell chokes me and it dried out my hair
s-curl - tried it while both relaxed and natural and it gave me dry hair
redken all soft conditioner - tangled, hard hair
fantasia IC gel - i dont like gels in general....
elasta QP H2 - dry hair
elasta QP glaze - melts into hair and it stinks!
l'oreal frizz conditioner or whatever - hard, tangled hair
V05 strawberries and cream - hard hair
ACV rinse - tangled dry hair
infusium 23 - dry hair
garnier fructis - the worst experience ive ever had with a product. my hair was so hard, i cried and cried
surge 14 - dry hair as always
Motions oil relaxer - underprocessed hair
revlon relaxer - didnt relax hair at all!
matrix curl life contour lotion and conditioner - dry hair :(

Crysdon

Crème of Nature Nourishing Conditioner - This made my hair hard, greasy & tangled.

Surge - I may as well have just sprayed sudsy water on my roots. It did NOTHING for my hair. No extra growth here.

Profectiv Healthy Ends - I might use this on my cat next week.

Optimum Oil Therapy Over-Nite Strengthener - If you're into oil slicks...

Hot Oil Treatments - Limp. Dirt. Buildup.

angelbaby

Country gal said:
[ QUOTE ]
Biotin did nothing for me. MSM grew my hair but made my face a pimply mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

My face is still recovering from the damage MSM did to it. I still have black heads from the pimple. I had to go to a dermatologist and she prescribed medication. Never again.

MSM is something I discovered I had to leave alone also. It made me look like a teenager with pimples. I've been through that stage already and I spend too much money at the Dr's getting skin treatments to get my skin perfect to let those little pills mess up what I have finally achieved.

MonaLisa

Crysdon said:
Crème of Nature Nourishing Conditioner - This made my hair hard, greasy & tangled.

Surge - I may as well have just sprayed sudsy water on my roots. It did NOTHING for my hair. No extra growth here.

Profectiv Healthy Ends - I might use this on my cat next week.

Optimum Oil Therapy Over-Nite Strengthener - If you're into oil slicks...

Hot Oil Treatments - Limp. Dirt. Buildup.

Noooooooooooooooooo...what did the poor cat do????

kristina

curl pudding- the stuff smells good...for the first fifteen minutes. after that it starts to irritate me. oh, and the shingling attempt was a disaster.
humecto- i still mix it but this was one conditioner everyone used to rave about that my hair didn't really respond.
lekair cholestorals- like applying dyed cristo to my hair- does nothing for detangling.

ximenia

Elucence conditioner - did absolutely nothing for my 4a hair
jojoba oil - does nothing
elasta qp products - tried a bunch, did nothing
ors lock & twist - left my hair dry and hard
aubrey organics - hated them, that jay shampoo especially dried out my hair
khiels feels like silk and some biotin treatment - did nothing
tried 3 profectiv products - left my hair dry and hard
ors shea butter was awful, too watery and drying
kemi oil - greasy dry hair
kemi shea butter pomade - the smell was overpowering, did nothing for my hair
hollywood carrot creme - hard, dry hair
con shampoo - irritated my scalp something horrible, i've never had sore scalp after washing before using that
nexxus botanoil - left my hair dry
stay sof fro- sticky and gross plus i hated the smell
sheamoisture conditioner - too thick and drying

Last edited:

Desert Skye

Airdrying-I have very thick hair and this will never work for me.never

VO5 Blueberries and Cream Conditioner-my hair hates this stuff. It sits on my hair and makes my hair feel dry after washing it. Although it does make it smell nice

Elasta QP Mango Butter-its ok. it didnt do anything special to my hair

Pre-Shampoo oil treatments-again its ok but i never see or feel any diffrence in my hair when doing this

taraglam2

ELASTA QP Mango Butter - Did absolutely nothing for my hair. My hair seemed really dry from using it

OLIVE OIL - My hair is not that crazy about plain OLIVE OIL although I am sure it has given it some much needed strength

LiqueXX

Any Profectiv product-I don't like the way they make my hair feel

VO5 Strawberries and Cream-used as a CO, my hair did not feel moisturized

CO-my scalp feels unclean when I do these (I do occasionally do the COW method)

S-Curl-does not leave my new growth soft, but I do use it occasionally when doing the baggie method

On another note, the products that I do love (Kenra, Elucence, Aubrey GPB, Nexxus Emergencee, MTG, Black n' Sassy Leave-in, BBD Stretch, etc., etc.) outnumber the ones I hate.

Last edited:

goldensugar23

ok heres my list:

Keracare Humetco Conditioner-It was to watery and I really didnt see any big change.It also tangled my hair,gave me very little softness.

vo5 stawberries and cream shampoo-it did cleanse well but that was after it tangled it.

Elasta QP h20 fortify conditioner-only worked well when i mixed it with honey,evoo,and another conditioner.

CoveredGirl

Surge- NO significant growth after almost 2 yrs and about 6 bottles.. Soooo over this one.

Betty Hutton's Moelle De Boeuf- Made my hair EXTREMELY dry and crispy to the touch- could be the protein/ox marrow I dont know.

Lenzi's Request- With so many rave reviews I'm still hopeful, but its done nothing for my hair thus far :ohwell:.

Elasta QP Mango Butter- After about 10 minutes my hair was dry again. Had to keep reapplying. Smells great though :yep: .

Indian Herbal Hair Mask- Can't remember the name specifically, but it was recommended here a few months ago. It was a powder of herbs you had to mix with aloe vera gel, leave on a few minutes and wash off. Anyways it was a mess and did nothing for my hair.

This thread just goes to show everything's not for everybody (cause my hair absolutely LOVES Biotin, S-Curl, WGO, Lekair's Cholesterol and Aloe Life Aloe Vera Gel) so THANKS for all the rec's!! I'll try anything once. :kiss: ).

Last edited:

MonaLisa

Aubrey GPB - I really tried to work with it just doesn't like me...
which is a rarity for me:( Guess I'm just a MNT kinda chick for my light protein.

Nexxus Humectress - just happy it was a sample and I didn't get a full out bottle. It was enough to know we would not have a long term relationship.

Condition Washing - I got cussed out by my hair a few times.

sylver2

Conditioner Washes---does not work for me at all.

Elasta QP mango butter----Smells very good-thats all it does for me.

Pre poo-nah..don't work

AirDrying-First- hair drys into a big thick afro..second-if its not 90 degrees in house or outside.. then takes 2-3days to dry

Protective styling-Nope

london honey

I'm not sure how long i have to wait to see results, i really dont but i definately wasn't love at first sight for me with the following products.

Paul Mitchell leave in- makes my hair as hard as rocks
Elasta DPR 11- not moisturising at all
Profectiv Growth masque- skinks and tangles my hair
Surge- i haven't had burns like others have but i dont think its helped with growth
HF37- I've been using this for two months and cant really say i've had that much growth but i will not give up yet

My hair loved keracare moisturiser but i had to give this up when i joined the board because of the mineral oil and petro..i'm so tempted to pick it up again because it did wonders for my hair(or so i thought :confused: )

senimoni

MonaLisa said:
Aubrey GPB - I really tried to work with it just doesn't like me...
which is a rarity for me:( Guess I'm just a MNT kinda chick for my light protein.

Nexxus Humectress - just happy it was a sample and I didn't get a full out bottle. It was enough to know we would not have a long term relationship.

Condition Washing - I got cussed out by my hair a few times.

What happened with the CW?

MonaLisa

senimoni said:
What happened with the CW?

My hair doesn't like it. I'm better off pooing. So no mo CW's...:lol:

It worked once..so I thought I was cool...subsequent times..I realized...
just not for me.

It's great that it works for others though.

czyfaith77

Re: Board Recommendations that didn\'t work for you?

Tebby1017 said:
We all know that everyone's hair is different, and what works for some may not work for others.

That being said, what are some suggestions/recommendations that you got from the board that others swear by but make you just swear?

Mine are:
Daily washing (I can only do this for about a week before my hair really starts to break).

LeKair Cholesterol (makes my hair super hard and dry...I keep it for my daughter's hair because, amazingly, her hair LOVES it!!).

Tebby

You may want to try Lekair's Cholesterol Conditioner with and additional oil stirred in . I learn this (one good trick) from hairdresser. She was good, I just stopped goingto her because she could not distinguish a trim and a cut. Anyhow, I mix mine with Aphogee Essental Fatty Acid Concentrate oil. I like it because it leaves my hair smooth, soft and not oily. Amazingly though this is an oil, it seems like (for my hair at least) that it does not leave an oily feel but a supple feeling. Adding this to my conditioner and a little each night to my ends made may hair turn around completely. I hope this helps. Also, I was told that this product is very similiar to Nexxus's Botanioil. It smells and look similiar but cost a tad bit less and it's readily accessible at BSS.

senimoni

MonaLisa said:
My hair doesn't like it. I'm better off pooing. So no mo CW's...:lol:

It worked once..so I thought I was cool...subsequent times..I realized...
just not for me.

It's great that it works for others though.

Interesting....it didn't work for me either at first, but I do it differently now and I love it. Although sometimes I have to do CWC b/c of my scalp.

junipertree

*Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Shampoo - made my hair hard (the conditioner is great though, go figure :perplexed ) also love GPB
*Wild Growth Oil - hate the smell, did nothing for growth
*Nexxus Botanoil and Ensure Shampoo - both made my hair hard (I love Therappe though. It has never let me down)
* Aphogee - a complete nightmare, smelled bad made my hair sticky and, just a plain old disaster
*Profectiv Healthy Ends - greasy, made hair heavy
*Surge Lotion Motion #9 - too greasy for hair dressing (but I'm thinking about using it as a pre-poo and it was ok for my skin)
* Garnier Fructise Shampoo

Crysdon

MonaLisa said:
Noooooooooooooooooo...what did the poor cat do????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh No! I don't want Foxy to look like that.

I'll just give the Healthy Ends to one of the girls at church.

mattapansista

I have to agree with you on this one. My skin broke out horribly.

ineedmoney said:
biotin. i have no idea if it helped with growth(i'm natural) but my skin broke out sooo bad!

Aquamarine

Hi there!
Wild Growth oil. ...didn't do much for my natural hair a few years back. It only sat on top of my hair and smelled funny. :ohwell: