Update on Shedding

Cayenne0622

Okay, soooo...I've seen the doc and I'm not anemic and I don't have a thyroid problem. As I said before the Garlic stuff hasn't stopped my shedding, Alter Ego Cren hasn't stopped my shedding, Nexxus Emergencee hasn't stopped my shedding. OH YEAH....NOTHING HAS STOPPED MY SHEDDING!!!:mad: I'm very frustrated now. I decided to flat iron my hair today...the first time in a very long time because I'm scared of touching my own hair because everytime I do, I lose a ton of hair. So, I flat iron it so that I can see the condition its in...and its awful. With every section of hair, long strands just effortlessly fell and landed all over the sink. I can actually see the results of the shedding now...thin, thin, thin. I counted 100 hairs today and that doesn't include what I loss during the wash yesteday and the breakage that I never had before and can't figure out how to stop now. I'm so done I can't even accurately communicate how DONE I am. I have an appt to see the dermatologist tomorrow and maybe after than I'll go to the hairclub for MEN. I just know they gots to have a toupe' for a sistah! buhahahahaha:lachen:

Cayenne0622

I'm gonna sit here and just keep posting to vent!!! I cried so much this morning. I've been trying to be strong and just continue babying my hair taking my multi-vitamin and increase my water but...

Well, anyway. I could go on but this crap is enough to make you shave your head bald and wear a wig. NO PROBLEMS MON!

erin558

what you have added to your regime thats different? think back on it and see what changed when your hair started breaking.

i really think my hair hates oils!

Nice & Wavy

Cayenne0622 said:
Okay, soooo...I've seen the doc and I'm not anemic and I don't have a thyroid problem. As I said before the Garlic stuff hasn't stopped my shedding, Alter Ego Cren hasn't stopped my shedding, Nexxus Emergencee hasn't stopped my shedding. OH YEAH....NOTHING HAS STOPPED MY SHEDDING!!!:mad: I'm very frustrated now. I decided to flat iron my hair today...the first time in a very long time because I'm scared of touching my own hair because everytime I do, I lose a ton of hair. So, I flat iron it so that I can see the condition its in...and its awful. With every section of hair, long strands just effortlessly fell and landed all over the sink. I can actually see the results of the shedding now...thin, thin, thin. I counted 100 hairs today and that doesn't include what I loss during the wash yesteday and the breakage that I never had before and can't figure out how to stop now. I'm so done I can't even accurately communicate how DONE I am. I have an appt to see the dermatologist tomorrow and maybe after than I'll go to the hairclub for MEN. I just know they gots to have a toupe' for a sistah! buhahahahaha:lachen:

Maybe you are stretching your relaxer too long. Some people can't stretch their relaxers but for a short time. Ask some of the relaxer pro's...they will know!

Hope your situation changes soon...

sweetcashew

Cayenne0622 said:
I'm gonna sit here and just keep posting to vent!!! I cried so much this morning. I've been trying to be strong and just continue babying my hair taking my multi-vitamin and increase my water but...

Well, anyway. I could go on but this crap is enough to make you shave your head bald and wear a wig. NO PROBLEMS MON!

Hang in there girl. It will stop. Remember I was in your shoes. The shedding just stopped on it's own. Just be strong through it and sit tight. Try not to handle it too much during this time. It will stop <<<<hugs>>>

Cayenne0622

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the responses and the encouragement. At this point, I'm willing to try anything. I'm tired of wearing my hair bunned because it looks awful if I try to wear it down. I would like to bun by choice, like I used to, not by necessity.

Arcadian

The fact that you've narrowed the field a bit is helpful.

In fact, it could just be stress (you stressed out by something?)

I have stressed out sometimes and the amount of shedding can definitly increase.

Thats not to say you should rule out it being something that you're using cause that can cause it to, but stress can really take a toll on your hair.

-A

erin558

at least you are shedding. I have BREAKAGE!!

I just deep conditioned AGAIN and my hair is still breaking. I'm freaking out now.

im about to go and deep condition AGAIN. My hair is like straw!

Last edited:

Cayenne0622

Arcadian - I've had a couple of stressful events happen this year but I didn't feel like I was so stressed that I would lose my hair! I guess I expect to be a big quivering mess of stress before something this drastic happens but if its due to stress, I'm really gonna be pissed!!

Erin - I read your thread about coconut oil. I'm having breakage too. Short and long pieces. My hair is just going through it full fledged right now. I don't know what to do.

erin558

well my hair is still shedding and it's so dry. i really don't know what's going on. I think i'm going to have to cut all of my hair off. It looks completely different htan it did too weeks over.

im over here crying so hard. i just don't understand it.

PatTodd

Ladies, I feel ya :cry: :cry: :cry: I have been losing gobs of hair for the last two months due to the steroid medication I had to take for a few months. You can read the full saga in my journal. I am down to conditioner washing and combing my hair once a week and each and every week I get a handful of long healthy hairs. :wallbash: There is no end in sight! I wish I knew the answer for you...or for me!

preciousjewel76

Awww, I seriously feel for you ladies. I wish I knew what to tell you! From what I've read, you've already gotten some great advice though. I remember I had a period of awful breakage years ago - honestly, we've ALL been there at some point or another. I'm pretty new, so I don't have any magical advice for you, but I really do wish you the best. (((((hugs)))))

Can we get a hair doctor over here, stat?

erin558

PatTodd said:
Ladies, I feel ya :cry: :cry: :cry: I have been losing gobs of hair for the last two months due to the steroid medication I had to take for a few months. You can read the full saga in my journal. I am down to conditioner washing and combing my hair once a week and each and every week I get a handful of long healthy hairs. :wallbash: There is no end in sight! I wish I knew the answer for you...or for me!

Yeah this is very new to me. I mean i've had this problem before but not randomly like this? I mean I can understand if I was curly my hair everyday. I was so careful. moisture won't even stay in my hair now. I feel so doomed im not even joking.:mad:

erin558

preciousjewel76 said:
Can we get a hair doctor over here, stat?

GIRL FOR REAL! I feel like I need to be put on an ambulance and taken to the nearest salon. My stylist is off until wednesday!! UGH!!

the last couple of months ive been at war with myself over if I should go natural or not but im sure if I were natural id still have this dryness problem.

Niara

Cayenne0622 said:

I so feel you. Today I feel so down because my hair is still shedding.:mad: I can't believe how thin it's looking now...all my hard work is literally going down the drain. I have stopped counting all the hair. The good thing is my hair is healthy, soft and silky:ohwell: . What is the point if it's all falling out?? Arrgh!! I have tried garlic shampoo..nada. I'm this close to ordering the essations hair mender and cren but I don't want to waste money.:perplexed I've been shedding now for 2 months. How long can this last???

Arcadian

PatTodd said:

I read your journal Pat, sorry to hear you going through such a rough time. :kiss: Prednisone is the debil, girl. My mothuer has lupus and has to take it off and one. She's also suffered some hairloss from it.

-A

Cayenne0622

erin558 said:
well my hair is still shedding and it's so dry. i really don't know what's going on. I think i'm going to have to cut all of my hair off. It looks completely different htan it did too weeks over.

im over here crying so hard. i just don't understand it.

Don't cut your hair off. Try to hang in there with me!!!:( If you cut yours I'll probably cut mine too. My hair is soft so I'm not dealing with the dryness that you are suffering with but this shedding can really break a sistah so I'm there with you.

Cayenne0622

Thanks ladies. I hate to know so many of us are suffering but at the same time I'm kinda glad I'm not alone. I wish all of you the best with this and I hope it ends for all of us. I've been shedding since June 06 so that should give you an idea of how long it can and has been going on.

Erin - be sure that your diet isn't making you lack in some important nutrient.

Niara - I ordered essations but I haven't used it yet. I want to use it right now but I'm trying to hold out until a week after I get my relaxer this Thursday. Cren is expensive and has worked for some but definitely not me...its a waste. I plan on using it until the bottle is gone just in case it takes me a little longer than everyone else.

P.S. That Prednizone is a horrible thing. It has its usefulness but I have a couple of friends who take it and they have lots of side effect complaints (from weight gain to hairloss). You and your baby are gorgeous. I love the pic. I pray for nothing but health and happiness for you.

VelvetRain

I have nothing else to really add but to let you know I have been shedding like that since April of this year and there has only been a brief period of letup. My labs are normal as well as my thyroid. I am pretty sure it's from all the job stress I experienced from Jan through March. Good news I am starting a new job in two weeks with increased pay. Now that I am letting the stressor in my life go I hope my hair stops shedding. I swear I have telogen effluvium.

MWilson569

Girl I feel you...I just finished washing my hair...and I have a huge mound of hair that I collected from combing my hair in the shower.... I refuse to count the hairs because I know it will make me cry AGAIN... I also wear my hair in a bun 99 percent of the time...and I try to protect my hair the best I could with no avail.... Ive just about given up...I might have to try to go to the dermatologist...I should have a full head of healthy hair the way I take care of it...but its just not the case... stress might be a factor but now im wondering if my hair is just thinning out...who knows... :( -Melissa

PatTodd

Cayenne0622 said:
P.S. That Prednizone is a horrible thing. It has its usefulness but I have a couple of friends who take it and they have lots of side effect complaints (from weight gain to hairloss). You and your baby are gorgeous. I love the pic. I pray for nothing but health and happiness for you.

Thanks Cayenne and Arcadian. I hope I never have to take that stuff again...but I might :( .

And I sure do love my baby...as you can probably see!

anahnamuslyyours

Ladies having the shedding and the breakage, are you getting enough protein in your diet? I complain about my shedding all of the time, but I know that when I get enough protein and EFA's, the shedding (and dryness) isn't so bad. Also, what about carrot juice for the thinning? When I was drinking carrot juice regularly, my hair started to thicken up real nice. I still had shedding, but not as much, and the thinning wasn't as noticable. Even after getting a relaxer, when my hair normally gets all thin, my hair stayed nice and thick. HTH!

gogo

I agree with the protein question...I've been "low-carbing" for weightloss off & on for the last couple yrs. (have lost about 70 lbs so far) and when ever i get tired of eating right (protein, veggies & whole grains) and go back to a "normal" starchy diet, I start seeing shedding...I'd try adding a daily protein shake or even two, ladies. Designer Whey (sold at GNC, Trader Joes, Walmart) is pretty tasty stuff...to keeps the carbs low, I blend mine with a little splenda, ice, almond milk...you can also add fruit, juice, milk or whatever...hope this helps!

Cayenne0622

I'm pretty sure I get enough protein. I eat chicken, or tuna, or some kind of red meat everyday. I am a carnivore (however you spell)...lol...I gotsta have meat! The carrot drinks sound interesting. I have juicer that's collecting dust right now but my husband and I used to juice quite often. I'll make something this week. Thanks for the suggestions and tips!

MrsHouston

Is this the shedding support group?

Cuz I need to join also. I've been shedding for 2 1/2 months now. I've been to the dermatologist, had lab work done, and I'm healthy. They tell me it's from stopping the birth control pills.:ohwell:

Some days I think I'll lose all my hair. I'm not stressed about it, but sad. I've decided to go natural and get braids.

Are you ladies getting lot's of new growth during your shedding?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I was part of the summer shedding extravoganza, and it wasn't pretty alot of us including myself was confused and thought something went wrong w/our regimens. I actually believe that it's just normal shedding but a little more than everyday normal and more like it's the end of your life cycle and more new hairs are comming in at a time. Don't worry too much ladies, the best thing to do is to braid it up or wear updo's to avoid having to see the shedding so often.

@Erin you may need to clarify add a small protein treatment then follow w/a very moisuring DC (you may have to docture it up by adding honey, EVOO or some kind of oil to it). Exactly what have been DC w/it?, it may be causing the dryness.

Cayenne0622

MrsHouston said:
Is this the shedding support group?

Cuz I need to join also. I've been shedding for 2 1/2 months now. I've been to the dermatologist, had lab work done, and I'm healthy. They tell me it's from stopping the birth control pills.:ohwell:

Some days I think I'll lose all my hair. I'm not stressed about it, but sad. I've decided to go natural and get braids.

Are you ladies getting lot's of new growth during your shedding?

MrsHouston - there should definitely be a shedding support group. I do not believe shedding is normal - at least not the amount of shedding that we see. Its due to something gone wrong in our bodies or on our scalp. I think normal shedding is see a few strands here and there, not have hands full of hair at every wash, etc. I only know one other person who suffers with massive shedding and she's been on medication for a long time so that was her issue. And I now know mine. Your's is obviously stopping the birth control pills and someone else's may be post partum shedding. I don't understand why it doesn't happen to everyone IF its so normal. Most of the people I know never experienced postpartum shedding or any other major shedding for that matter. IT SUCKS!!

One suggestion I have is that you keep your scalp moisturized. I think we tend to let our scalps getting flaky and dry because most of us don't use grease. Find something that won't clog your pores...that should help SOME. Good luck!

EishBuhgeish

I could have sworn I posted on this thread....

But anyway- I was shedding horribly too, so I went to see my hair dresser. I dont know what she used or did but it completely stopped. I've even warshed my hair once since then and no excess hair. She used some Vitale Reconstructing Condish in a purple bottle...Had a big ol orange V on it or something. She mixed that with a moisturizing condish from the same line sat me under the dryer and blew me out. My hair was hooked!

She told me from the way I sounded on the phone, she thought I would have had patches missing from my head- and thats its only seasonal shedding. ::shrugs:: What can I say, when I have hairs comin out my head EVERY time I touch it, I tend to panic.

CoCoGirl821

Cayenne0622 said:
MrsHouston - there should definitely be a shedding support group. I do not believe shedding is normal - at least not the amount of shedding that we see. Its due to something gone wrong in our bodies or on our scalp. I think normal shedding is see a few strands here and there, not have hands full of hair at every wash, etc. I only know one other person who suffers with massive shedding and she's been on medication for a long time so that was her issue. And I now know mine. Your's is obviously stopping the birth control pills and someone else's may be post partum shedding. I don't understand why it doesn't happen to everyone IF its so normal. Most of the people I know never experienced postpartum shedding or any other major shedding for that matter. IT SUCKS!!

One suggestion I have is that you keep your scalp moisturized. I think we tend to let our scalps getting flaky and dry because most of us don't use grease. Find something that won't clog your pores...that should help SOME. Good luck!

I have been suffering from shedding AND breakage. I have been going back and forth everyday about cutting my hair. I really dont want to cut it because I am trying to grow my hair for my graduation this May. But everyday I find my self with my hands in my hair feeling my hair and wanting to cry. I also want to get my ends trim but im scared the stylist will try and chop all of my hair off. But I really need to mend some of these spilt ends...WHAT IS A GIRL TO DO!?!

MrsHouston

Cayenne0622 said:

Thanks girl. I haven't had dandruff or a dry scalp ;) since I got on this board (back in July).

No, shedding gobs of hair is NOT NORMAL. When I went to the doctor I took two bags of hair from two different days of shedding to give him a good idea of what my shedding is like. He also combed his fingers through my hair and said, Wow, that's a lot of hair coming out. So, you're right, it's not normal to shed that much hair everyday.

Pebbles: Can we get a support group started?:confused: