Affirm Relaxers - Your Opinion

kizzylonghair

Girls,

I have been an Affirm Fibreguard user for over a year and a half now. I have fine strands so it was recommended to me by my stylist.
It must agree with me and I am nearly bra-strap. Never been in my life.
However I find that after about 3 weeks my hair starts to look VERY dry and not silky and smooth. I can tame it with wash,set, and straightners buts its never the same.
My hair is growing really fast but I cant remember having this problem before this relaxer.

I asked my sytlist who said that the relaxer doesnt breakdown my hair fully on purpose hence the reason its for fine stranded ladies. She said that I should come in every 10 weeks instead of my usual 12. There is saying if it aint broke, dont fix it. But I would love it my length a little sleeker.

I know some other ladies have problems with affirm relaxer, can you speak up.

Any suggestions on another relaxer

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated, shall i just leave it

Need help:eek:

Nanyanika

All i can say is, i will never return to Affirm relaxer my hair was always underprocessed and dry, fiberguard was the worst iMHO. If your hair is doing great with it, i'd say continue usuage, i prefer Elasta QP. Couldn't you try adding a serum and wrap your hair for a sleeker look.

atlien11

I used to get a calcium build up from Affirm (no-lye) and it would break off my edges :mad: I remember thinking "where is this baby hair coming from all of a sudden?" That wasnt baby hair, that was broken off edges hair :mad: Affirm would always leave my hair flat afterwards too so I went to Phyto and havent looked back since :D

Cayenne0622

Same with me. I don't know if the stylist was using the Fiberguard no-lye. Whatever it was, that particular Affirm relaxer was not good for me. My hair was flat, no body, and it was very dry. I now use Silk Elements. It left my hair very silky. It was my first time using it so t he next time around I plan to use the mild instead of the regular. Regular processed my hair really, really fast so I had to rinse it out before I was ready. Mild should do the trick since I have fine to medium strands.

kizzylonghair

Thanks Ladies,

I knew I couldnt be alone, the driest is really getting to me.
I cant wear my hair like I would like to to.

I am going to try another relaxer next time and see if that works.

Just dont know what relaxer to try really dont want to risk my hair:confused: :confused:

shunta

I used to use Affirm sensitive scalp in the past, and after a few weeks of relaxing I would have the same problems with the dryness. It wasnt until much later after I started doing research when I finally realized that Affirm was the cuplrit. I will never use that crap again. Recently, Ive started using Silk Elements lye, and I will never look back.:D

Taya

okay I thought about asking for help w/ my 11 yr olds hair. I use Affirm w/lye mild ,because that is what was used from day one. She only gets relaxed 2x a yr, which our old stylist refused to do more than that a year. I must say her hair grows really fast,but for a while now I've noticed that not only does she have alot of new growth,but a long length of her ends look as if they have never been relaxed and in between the NG and ends the hair looks relaxed.
I hope I'm making since but I don't know any other way to explain. Does anyone know what is going on? I to use the same relaxer and do some stretching for about 3- 5 months but my hair hasn't react this way.The 1st time I noticed her hair doing this I did put alittle on the ends, only after I finished the whole process of the relaxer for the NG, so it wasn't on for long before rinsing. This did help. But other than me slacking in moisturizing daily and greasing her scalp, I haven't noticed dry hair. Umm unless that's why the hair on the ends look natural.

TonicaG

TonicaG
It was about two years ago, I only used it once. I wasn't pleased at all!!! My hair just didn't look and feel right.

amy1234

I just don't think that it's worth such a high value $$ wise .
Silk Elements has replaced affirm for me.

BklynHeart

For me, I noticed it depends on who applied it; one assistant would make sure the relaxer stayed on long enough and my hair was fine. Another one wouldn't let it stay as long, so by week 4 my hair was rough. That's the only thing I don't like about this perm. When I used Revlon, I had the same results everytime, no matter who was applying it.

beyondcute

When I was relaxing I was using Affirm regular. I loved it. I had dryness as a problem anyways so I started using Jane Carters Nourish and Shine. Using Keracares line also helped out alot. Mainly the humecto :)

kitchen_tician

I also had problems with Affirm Fiberguard NO-LYE. I don't know if it was because it was no-lye or the fiberguard part. :confused: My hair was very tangly and somewhat frizzy on the ends.

I switched to Affirm Lye Mild and I loved it. No, it wasn't the best straightener, but I loved the overall results.

DulceKisses

High Fashion
FIBERGUARD killed my hair. I would try a whole lot of products and then come on the board and diss them thinking they were garbage and come to find out it was the perm.
I used Fiberguard on 100% virgin hair from root to tips after a BC. I achieved the straightness I wanted but it seemed like the next week I could not keep moisture in my hair. It was always DRY, brittle and seems to have a dull overcast to it. I DC'd, hot oiled, protein treated and nothing would rememdy. Then after 4wks I started shedding like crazy. I aphogee'd, keraphix (which always works on my hair) and it would only slow the shedding down not stop it. I got a touch up with Fiberguard at 6wks post (not knowing at the time all these things were happening due to Fiberguard) and my hair was breaking in these lil pieces. So finally I did another BC and started over with Silk elements and could not be happier.
My strands are of pure silk. I kid u not. Self-relaxed, revisted products and am in love with my hair for the first time in a very long time. Its very moisturized, bouncy, shiney and I am saying this 5wks post Silk Elements and thats saying a lot because my hair type is 4zzzzzzzzzzzIII.
Silk Elements is the ish in my book!!!! **tsk tsk to the chemists for Affrim Fiberguard.

kizzylonghair

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I knew something was up, but I keep telling myself it cant be the relaxer.
If my hair is growing with it.
Man, I have suffered for to long, blaming myself for not looking after my hair enough.

I am going to try Silk Elements, :grin: :grin: :grin: As everyone keeps raving about it. It was a toss up between Phyto but hearing to many cons about it.

Question:

Will one touch up with Silk elements cure my problem straigth awy if its only applied to the roots?

Do I need to aggressive trim off the Affirm?

Does anyone know where to purchse it from the UK?

Thank You

DulceKisses

High Fashion
kizzylonghair said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I knew something was up, but I keep telling myself it cant be the relaxer.
If my hair is growing with it.
Man, I have suffered for to long, blaming myself for not looking after my hair enough.

I am going to try Silk Elements, :grin: :grin: :grin: As everyone keeps raving about it. It was a toss up between Phyto but hearing to many cons about it.

Question:

Will one touch up with Silk elements cure my problem straigth awy if its only applied to the roots?

Do I need to aggressive trim off the Affirm?

Does anyone know where to purchse it from the UK?

Thank You
I personally trimmed off some of the Affrim. But keep in mind I had just did a BC not long before that (feb'06) and relaxed w/ SE 7'06, so cutting wasn't a huge sacrafice for me. I think you will have two different textures if you just do the NG. My sister switched to SE when she felt and saw my hair and she only applied it as a touch up and said she wished she had all virgin hair to apply it to due to the two textures but she is length conscientious and would not BC.

Now for me and I am not a professional, Although I cut off a lot of the Affirm I still had some Affirm left cuz I didnt wanna do another full BC so I relaxed all my hair including the leftover Affirm portion, kinda like a corrective. I applied the relaxer in sections. Started and concentrated on the NG for the first 10mins and worked on the remainder (Affirm portion) for the last 5-6 mins. However afterwards I treated my hair so very well and pampered it for a full 2wks no fail way more than usual. I have not had any problems as of yet.

If you are uncomfortable w/ a corrective, then I would suggest aggressively cutting off the relaxed portion of your hair. If length conscientious, I suggest a touch up with SE and giving yourself bigger trimms as the months go on. Hopefully other ladies who have only done a touch up w/ SE and experienced something different will chime in.

Good luck with whatever you go with and I hope SE works wonders for you as it has with me. Like You it was a toss up between SE and Phyto but costs led me to SE and thank goodness I went that route.

kizzylonghair

DulceKisses said:
I personally trimmed off some of the Affrim. But keep in mind I had just did a BC not long before that (feb'06) and relaxed w/ SE 7'06, so cutting wasn't a huge sacrafice for me. I think you will have two different textures if you just do the NG. My sister switched to SE when she felt and saw my hair and she only applied it as a touch up and said she wished she had all virgin hair to apply it to due to the two textures but she is length conscientious and would not BC.

Now for me and I am not a professional, Although I cut off a lot of the Affirm I still had some Affirm left cuz I didnt wanna do another full BC so I relaxed all my hair including the leftover Affirm portion, kinda like a corrective. I applied the relaxer in sections. Started and concentrated on the NG for the first 10mins and worked on the remainder (Affirm portion) for the last 5-6 mins. However afterwards I treated my hair so very well and pampered it for a full 2wks no fail way more than usual. I have not had any problems as of yet.

If you are uncomfortable w/ a corrective, then I would suggest aggressively cutting off the relaxed portion of your hair. If length conscientious, I suggest a touch up with SE and giving yourself bigger trimms as the months go on. Hopefully other ladies who have only done a touch up w/ SE and experienced something different will chime in.

Thanks girl

its nice to talk to someone who knows what I am goung through. As for your suggestions i think i will have to do a little of both.
I will continue to trim my hair after each relaxer.
And I may do a corrective because my hair is under processed, dry, has to be killed with heat to be straight( Not Healthy)./ Howver i wiill have to take care as i have fine stranded hair.

O well yet another chaallenge for my hair, at least now I know

Thanks

kizzylonghair said:
Thanks Ladies,

I knew I couldnt be alone, the driest is really getting to me.
I cant wear my hair like I would like to to.

I am going to try another relaxer next time and see if that works.

Just dont know what relaxer to try really dont want to risk my hair:confused: :confused:

I have never had a problem with Affim, I love it, it's the only relaxer I have used for years

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
You can get Silk Elements relaxer from Sallys I'm not sure which part of the UK you live in but they have a few in London.

MonaLisa

TonicaG said:
It was about two years ago, I only used it once. I wasn't pleased at all!!! My hair just didn't look and feel right.

Co-sign...two years ago....ONCE was enough...:( :mad:
Went to Phyto after that experience and I was fine after that...