Tyler Perry Lays Hand's on Bishop Jakes

Iwanthealthyhair67

Yes That Happened: Tyler Perry Preaches, Speaks In Tongues, Lays Hands On TD Jakes + Donates $1 Million
Monday, September 2, 2013 at 12:09AM
Article By Bridgette Wilson:: EEW Magazine News
Christian media mogul Tyler Perry is known for the hilarious roles he plays, but he just might have a shot as a real-life preacher.

On Sunday, September 1, the known philanthropist, who consistently gives generously to good causes and everyday people, preached The Potter’s House in Dallas, TX happy in just a few minutes, prayed for the Bishop, and unloaded a cool million, which will go toward building a youth center to add on to the ministry’s expansive campus.

“This caught me a little off guard Bishop,” said Perry calmly after being summoned to the platform to share his testimony of how he felt inspired to donate such a large sum of money to the MegaFest founder.

Although he had previously written a check for $113,000 at Jakes’ popular “Woman Thou Art Loosed” service, there was more to come. “You see, I love to give. I’ve been a giver all my life,” Perry explained. “And when people have given to you and sown into you, and God has touched them and given you favor [you give back].”

He also added, “You see, they don’t understand it where I come from. They don’t understand it in Hollywood, but I’m gonna tell you something about the blood of Jesus.”

The wealthy CEO continued, “All of my life, my mother, she didn’t have much to give me. She didn’t have millions of dollars. She didn’t have some legacy, but she had Jesus, and she taught me about that God.”
Tyler Perry and his late mother, Willie Maxine Perry, who passed away in 2009 at age 64 (Credit: Gettty)
It was God, according to Perry, that touched his heart to plant a mega seed into the mega ministry, even before discovering Jakes’ desire to raise capital for a state-of-the-art youth facility.

“I didn’t even know he was trying to build this youth center,” said Perry, who topped Forbes' 2011 list of highest paid men in entertainment.

Clearly, he has no shortage of money to spread around, but was unclear, according to him, about why He felt led to give so much. That is, until the Sunday morning offering facilitator, Dr. Jasmine Sculark, requested that exact amount from attendees who could sow that kind of faith seed, serving as a sort of confirmation for the urging Perry sensed.

He turned to Sculark, affectionately known as Dr. Jazz and said, “So when you got up here and said a million dollars, I said ‘God, I don’t know what you’re doing, but I know I heard your voice!'”

After that, the man known for making people laugh out loud, put on a serious face, began speaking in tongues and preaching a mini charismatic sermon.

“I’ma tell you right now, when you hear the voice of God, you move. Don’t worry about what nobody says to you. Don’t worry about what it looks like. Don’t worry about your enemy. Don’t worry about your hater. He will bless you. He will lift you!”

The congregation went wild, after which, Perry tried to pass the microphone off, but First Lady Serita Jakes admonished him to continue going.

“Sometimes, you spend too much time worried about your haters. You spend too much time worrying about people talking about you. But what you need to understand is that the Bible says, in order for you to be blessed, your haters have to be present,” he said.

“How do I know that?” he asked and then proceeded to answer his own question. “The book of Psalms says that He prepareth a table before me in the presence of my enemies,” quoting a popular passage in Psalm 23:5.
“So, in order for me to eat they have to be present. So, God bless you Bishop. I pray right now, that you will continue to do everything you’re doing. I pray His anointing will stay upon you,” Perry shouted, turning toward Jakes, who responded by walking in the Madea creator's direction with his arms extended in the air.

“I pray the power of God all over you. I pray His favor,” Perry continued praying, laying hands on Jakes’ forehead in front of those who had gathered by the thousands. “I pray the blood of Jesus will come upon you right now. Keep you in His care. God, I thank You for your blessings!”
Once the entertainment executive removed his hand from the pastor, Jakes’ body convulsed as if someone had plugged him into a light socket.

The renowned preacher was also captured, for quite some time afterward, rejoicing and clapping his hands.

The church was frenzied. People were screaming and shouting, while some others caught the moment on their individual recording devices, in shock and disbelief.

As news of what occurred makes its rounds online, plenty have expressed their surprise at Perry's tongue-talking and gospel preaching. Perhaps, they shouldn't be.

In a 2012 interview with Essence, Perry said, “People don't know this but I went to seminary school, and was a minister in the church when I was about 18-20 years old, so that is very much ingrained in me.”

Those who read this, also read:

Goombay_Summer

When did Medea err Tyler become saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost? Are we just letting random millionaire have access to the pulpit because they’re donating a million to the ministry? I hope this doesn’t set a precedent whereby only those with money will have access to Christianity because salvation is free, I need them to stop corrupting the pulpit for financial gain (I mean you TD). Pandering to the world......

Nice & Wavy

Oh yes...I can clarify my posts to you in relevance to this thread:yep:.

TD Jakes has a responsibility to his members. :yep:

Yes, we don't have to fear when the Holy Spirit is there and we are under the umbrella of His Presence. That's on the norm. This isn't the norm because he invited people who are NOT under that umbrella...I don't care how many 'sha na naa na na's' they say while laying hands on you. If you don't want someone to lay hands on you, don't do it. TD Jakes did it and for that I have no words.

As ministers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we must use wisdom when we do things and allow things to be done to us. We don't have to afraid of the devil and we don't...this is why we answered the call of the ministry. But, when you have people in your midst that you are called to lead as a Shepherd, you must be the one to watch over them...how can you do that when you are the one needing watching over???

I hope that clarifies my posts to you...as I said, I have no words.:yep:

ETA: My posts you are referring to for clarification:
I will say this: There are people with baggage/oppressive spirits etc, outside of the church. Do we pray a cleansing prayer each time a person touches us? I really doubt it....:yep:

Under the anointing of the Holy Spirit during a service, those demons don't stand a chance to attach themselves on you.

Don't be so afraid of the enemy in this way. If you know that you are covered by the Blood of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is operating in your life...there should be no concern. However, if you are in a situation where someone just wants to lay hands on you and pray for you, you have every right to tell that person NO...and/or don't allow them to touch you in that case. That is your right!

If the call by the pastor is to pray for the person next to you and its a call under the umbrella of the Holy Spirit, there is nothing to fear!

If something happened to you and there weren't any of the people around you that you trust to pray for you, only random people, would you NOT ask for them to pray for you? Would you not want someone to pray for you in a crisis? Of course you would because the presence of God is everywhere and can work through anyone He chooses.

The point I am trying to make is that when you are in an atmosphere of worship, don't fear.....have faith. Nothing can harm you when God is in the midst.

The Body of Christ must stop fearing that the devil is always present where Jesus is! We must get to the point where we know that we know, that we know that in the presence of the Lord, the enemy has to flee!!! Once we get to that point, we will begin to see miracles, healings and changed lives taking place right before our eyes and in our own lives!

I thought we serve a great big, wonderful, awesome and mighty God?

When we as a Church begin to enter into our church services with an attitude of praise and thanksgiving to Our Heavenly Father for all He has done and will do for us, we will recognize that the enemy can't be where God is and we will begin to experience victory!!!
Bolded for emphasis:yep:

Last edited:

huxtable

Oh yes...I can clarify my posts to you in relevance to this thread:yep:.

TD Jakes has a responsibility to his members. :yep:

Yes, we don't have to fear when the Holy Spirit is there and we are under the umbrella of His Presence. That's on the norm. This isn't the norm because he invited people who are NOT under that umbrella...I don't care how many 'sha na naa na na's' they say while laying hands on you. If you don't want someone to lay hands on you, don't do it. TD Jakes did it and for that I have no words.

As ministers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we must use wisdom when we do things and allow things to be done to us. We don't have to afraid of the devil and we don't...this is why we answered the call of the ministry. But, when you have people in your midst that you are called to lead as a Shepherd, you must be the one to watch over them...how can you do that when you are the one needing watching over???

I hope that clarifies my posts to you...as I said, I have no words.:yep:

Thanks for getting back to me.

Last edited:

brownb83

This is nothing new.

I expect it in a mega church. It's about The $$.

Like when billy blanks gave fred price a million.

Smaller up any coming mega churches see this and try to emulate it.

Mega churches are a business. Oh well

Iwanthealthyhair67

^^I know its nothing new but should we accept it though, his congregants should speak out, he has no explanation for this. I don't want us to become jaded to the going ons of this world, that is not normal Christlike behavior.

This is damning and shows how far gone the Bishop is.

alexstin

I don't know, I just feel some kind of way about some pastors being so buddy buddy with celebs. Ministry is one thing, but the pedestal that many of these celebs are put on.:nono:

I was looking at a video from this year's MegaFest and Sarita and Sarah Jakes were interviewing Kerry Washington from the show Scandal. They were like, " Here's Kerry from the hit show Scandal. I love that show!" :look: I don't watch the show, but from what I gather, she plays a very important role in governmental affairs, but is also having an affair with the married(no less!) President of the United States.

Now, I'm not saying that you're in sin if you like celebrities, cause lord knows I enjoy the music of groups like the Temptations and Michael Jackson, but I wouldn't have invited them to a Christian conference to interview.:lol: But then, I felt the same way, years ago when Steve Harvey did his Megafest comedy routine.

I feel like, you say you love God and have a relationship with Him, great, but your public persona doesn't match up with what you say, so I'm not going to give you this ministry platform because I don't want people to be mislead.

Thoughts?

Nice & Wavy

This is nothing new.

No, not so.

My church is a mega church. Any church with over 2,000 members is a mega church. You wouldn't catch my pastor behaving like this because he knows that he's not in charge....GOD is in charge!

This is the problem. People want to be seen and their churches to be bigger and better than the others. Money is not evil in itself, but how you steward it can be, if its not steward under the leading of the Holy Spirit.

When you take your eyes off the ONE who is able to keep you from falling....that is when the problems come and you open yourself up to nonsense...such as this we are witnessing today.

There are many churches (mega) whose pastors are on their face before the Lord and are leading as Shepherds and not Hirelings!:yep:

Nice & Wavy

I don't know, I just feel some kind of way about some pastors being so buddy buddy with celebs. Ministry is one thing, but the pedestal that many of these celebs are put on.:nono:

I was looking at a video from this year's MegaFest and Sarita and Sarah Jakes were interviewing Kerry Washington from the show Scandal. They were like, " Here's Kerry from the hit show Scandal. I love that show!" :look: I don't watch the show, but from what I gather, she plays a very important role in governmental affairs, but is also having an affair with the married(no less!) President of the United States.

Now, I'm not saying that you're in sin if you like celebrities, cause lord knows I enjoy the music of groups like the Temptations and Michael Jackson, but I wouldn't have invited them to a Christian conference to interview.:lol: But then, I felt the same way, years ago when Steve Harvey did his Megafest comedy routine.

I feel like, you say you love God and have a relationship with Him, great, but your public persona doesn't match up with what you say, so I'm not going to give you this ministry platform because I don't want people to be mislead.

Thoughts?
I agree 100% with this post, Alexstin. :yep:

Church is for discipleship, training, healing, deliverance, teaching, exhortation, encouragement. When these ministers invite celebrities whose lives aren't producing fruit that can be seen, it becomes a 'show' and people are there for the 'show' and not the 'showing up of the Holy Spirit!'

It's sad to me....I just feel so sad because it doesn't have to be this way in the church. Things like this is what allows people to call churches "gay, black gay, etc." and live any ole way they want.

Judgement will come to the House of the Lord FIRST.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
While watching this video, all I could do was pray that the Holy Spirit takes over Tyler's life and use this man to the full glory of God.

That Tyler has a total and true surrender unto the Lord...no limitations, no resistance, no loopholes, no pretenses. In the same manner that God 'captured' the heart of Paul (formerly Saul), in the same manner that God changed the heart of Peter, in the same manner that God had the repentant heart of King David, all of these great men of God and more... that God will also have the full heart and dedication of Tyler Perry and that nothing and no one can ever change it.

We need to have full strength in the limelight. Tyler Perry has climbed the ladder of success and with the most simple venues that others have used, have failed.

His mother 'gave' him Jesus and it shall not ever be in vain, it shall not be wasted, it shall not be a trophy for satan to wave in the face of God, that one more has bitten the dust of failure.

We need multi-millionaires in the Body of Christ to profit the Kingdom of God here on earth. Millionaires who are not struggling to make ends meet, struggling to be employed, struggling to live righteously, struggling above lawsuits filed against them for refusing to accommodate the sin of homosexuality.

Whatever sexual sins Tyler Perry may be struggling with, we ask God to DELIVER HIM ... NOW, in Jesus' Name! And he will live and exhalt God with his true testimony of deliverance from all of his struggles with his sexual identity. It will be laid before the world that God does indeed deliver and that God's plan of redemption is not a failure and full of the power and the glory for all the world to see and believe.

All of what Tyler Perry presented shall not be a mockery to the Kingdom of God, but a sure testimony that cannot be repealed nor imitated to confound others. Tyler Perry is hereby dedicated unto the Lord, for the Words that Tyler Perry speaks, shall indeed come to pass. Tyler spoke to have the power of God, Tyler spoke that he believes in God, Tyler spoke that his mother gave him, Jesus. Tyler Perry shall have all of what he says, pertaining to the Word of God. .

Not one Word spoken shall be in vain...He is not allowed to be a heretic.

In Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.

Last edited:

Iwanthealthyhair67

I have been thinking about this actually...

Last week one of my co-workers (a pastors wife) asked aren't you watching Megafest and I said no, I really don't listen to Bishop Jakes like that, so she asked why; I said I have a problem with who he aligns himself with, one of the speakers is Oprah and she believes there are many paths to Christ, I don't think Bishop Jakes should have had her speaking at Megafest....My co worker says Oh, well there are lots of other great speakers there I'm going to tune in now.

My thoughts; we shouldn't support them in part or in whole. We are too accepting, if we are not careful the world it's money and fame are going to send us straight to hell, if Jesus was a rock of offense, shouldn't we be. Not because we sent out to purposely offend anyone but when the truth is spoken it brings offense. He is too friendly with the world and aint no body being changed, it's seems he is being influenced and not them.

Shimmie

Staff member
This is nothing new.

This is a misguided perception. Not all Mega Churches fall into this category.

alexstin

Last week one of my co-workers (a pastors wife) asked aren't you watching Megafest and I said no, I really don't listen to Bishop Jakes like that, so she asked why; I said I have a problem with who he aligns himself with, one of the speakers is Oprah and she believes there are many paths to Christ, I don't think Bishop Jakes should have had her speaking at Megafest....My co worker says Oh, well there are lots of other great speakers there I'm going to tune in now.

My thoughts; we shouldn't support them in part or in whole. We are too accepting, if we are not careful the world it's money and fame are going to send us straight to hell, if Jesus was a rock of offense, shouldn't we be. Not because we sent out to purposely offend anyone but when the truth is spoken it brings offense. He is too friendly with the world and aint no body being changed, it's seems he is being influenced and not them.

Yep, Oprah, Ray Lewis(football player), Chris Bosh(basketball player) Megan Goode's Husband...don't know his name:lol:. I was looking at the pictures of the guys on the panel for the men's/fatherhood panel(includes the guys listed above) and just said, "oh, okay":look: I think it's all about who's going to draw the crowds at this point, which is a shame.:nono:

Shimmie

Staff member

This is true, when 'we' stop supporting what doesn't line up with God's Word, this will get the attention of Pastors who have succumbed to the weakness of the world.

Many Churches mistake that having a celebrity in their midst 'elevates' their Ministry as well as it gives them something to 'boast of'. The tabloids follow the celebrities and therefore when a Church is spotlighted with these celebs, the pastors become 'giddy' and forget that the real 'Giant' is God, not Oprah.

*sigh* I'm ashamed to even acknowledge most of the celebrities of today. They have no moral fiber, let alone, they do not honour God and this includes 'Barack Obama'! Yeah, I said it. Folks are literally losing their bladder control swooning over a president... just 'cause' he' Black... :nono: who has publicly disgraced the value of God and His Word.

One of the largest forums over the entire world wide web are those which speak of celebrities. The talk shows are populated with ..... (wait for it)....... 'celebrities'. And none of it is news worthy. kim 'k' and then there's simple miley cyrus and her flat behind up in everybody's face.

I thank God for the Churches who have the God fearing hearts who have no fear in putting this mess in check and not bowing to the baal's of hollywood.

(the lowercases are intended, they are not typo's) :nono:

Nice & Wavy

Yep, Oprah, Ray Lewis(football player), Chris Bosh(basketball player) Megan Goode's Husband...don't know his name:lol:. I was looking at the pictures of the guys on the panel for the men's/fatherhood panel(includes the guys listed above) and just said, "oh, okay":look: I think it's all about who's going to draw the crowds at this point, which is a shame.:nono:
Chris Bosh....why?