Ok, I’m confused. What causes raised cuticles or the appearance of raised cuticles?

princessdi

Last night, I washed and conditioned my hair with Trader’s Joe Moisture Balance Shampoo mixed w/baking soda to clarify the hair, and then washed with my henna soap, that I use regularly and love, followed by Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor and then deep conditioned for 45 minutes with Walgreens form of Pantene Moisture Renewal (1st time using; it was on sale buy one get one free); my final rinse was with Roux Porosity Control under cold water. I must say, after rinsing out the deep conditioner, my hair felt really good, soft, and moisturized. I then moisturized with Carefree Gold Activator Moisturizer, Proclaim Glossing Polish with Olive Oil, and sealed w/ coconut oil and put my silk scarf on to lay down my edges and put a satin cap on top of that.

When I went to bed, I put a plastic baggie over my satin cap to get that added Jeri Juice extra moisture. Well this morning, my hair was damp and still felt really moisturized; however, it is about 9:30AM and my hair feels very dry and looks like my cuticles are raised. I CANNOT wait to get home to moisturize my hair.

I didn’t comb through my entire head but instead combed out the ends of my hair to ensure there would be no tangles or mats during the next wash. The ends of my hair are now in a protective pony and baggied; however, it’s the top that is exposed to air that feels so crisp and dry.

What could have happened? It is my first time using Carefree Gold Curl Activator. Could it be this product? My hair doesn’t like a lot of protein. Is the Carefree Gold more of a protein-based product or a moisture-based product?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Re: Ok, I’m confused. What causes raised cuticles or the appearance of raised cuticl

It seems like over manipulation and too much shampooing sessions led your hair's cuticles to be raised. You said you clarified by mixing two types of shampoos, then shampooed with henna. You only need to shampoo once to clean the hair. I've learned while on my HHJ that less is more! :yep:

ms.blue

Re: Ok, I’m confused. What causes raised cuticles or the appearance of raised cuticl

agreeing w/ lovenharmony and also check to see if carefree gold has protein in it b/c it could get the hair hard

JustKiya

Raised cuticles usually occur because the pH of your hair is too high (basic). Hair prefers to be around 4.5 - 5.5 pH (mildly acidic), and using the baking soda along with the multiple shampoos might have thrown your pH out of whack. I assume that the Roux is somewhat acidic, since it most likely works to improve the porosity of your hair by closing the cuticles, but maybe you need a wee bit more acid.

If it still feels crazy after you re-moisturize, I'd suggest an ACV rinse after your next DC. :yep:

Good luck, and I hope you can figure it out!

Last edited:

Mleah

It could be that the glycerin in the Carefree leached out the moisture. Glycerin is such an efficient humectant that if the air doesn't have enough water to drawn on, it will turn to an easier source and that is your hair. I learned that from Irresistible.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Bumping For HaleeJ and Others............Good Thread and Shy Intellect posted a good Youtube Video!