Aloe vera gel

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Has anyone used aloe vera gel as a styler/gel for a wash n go or other style? I brought some yesterday and I plan to do some experiments this weekend. I would appreciate your experience, tips or insight on using aloe vera gel.

PureSilver

I planted this a few weeks ago and though we are battling this drought, its flourishing. I can't wait to pick my first leaf and put it to use for my hair and face.

I need tips so i'm lurking, oh BTW I bought Fruit of the Earth a few years ago and barely used it. My SO loved it for his face though.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
PureSilver keep me posted on how your plant does. Good for DIYing I don't have the time or energy to grow or make my own products. I prefer to buy I'm lazy lol. Since I've been on my natural hair journey I'm more mindful of what I put on my hair and skin.

PureSilver

Here's a pic for you.

My baby aloe.jpg

baby aloe plant.jpg

I uprooted it and replanted it where in a new home almost 2 months now. When I brought it to the new house it had only 6 leaves. Now it's really growing in nice and getting new leaves and i'm :smile: for that.

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Here's a pic for you. I uprooted it and replanted it where in a new home almost 2 months now. When I brought it to the new house it had only 6 leaves. Now it's really growing in nice and getting new leaves and i'm :smile: for that.
sounds great. I cannot see the pictures for some reason.

girlonfire

I can certinly say it's a good primer for other products. Makes my hair less crunchy when working with a lower quality gel. I don't really use gel a whole lot anymore though.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I can certinly say it's a good primer for other products. Makes my hair less crunchy when working with a lower quality gel. I don't really use gel a whole lot anymore though.
I've been very resistant to trying gel. But I figure aloe vera gel doesn't have very many ingredients and won't be to bad.

coolsista-paris

i have a Plant at home. i usually use the leaf for face .
in would have to take off a lot to cover my entire hair. this is why in used to but also the bottle

charmtreese

I use aloe vera gel to lay down my edges, to pre poo, and as a face moisturizer. I use a different aloe vera gel for each purpose.

* fruit of the earth aloe vera gel has the best hold, I use this one to lay down edges.
* lily of the desert 99% aloe vera gelly is very moisturizing and helps to detangle my hair very easily, I use this on for pre poos
* vitamin world 99% aloe vera gel has no holding power, it's not sticky at all! works well as a face moisturizer or pre poo.

starchgirl

I use Fruit of the Earth for my braid and curls on wet or damp hair and I can get 5 day hair with pineappling each night. No crunch and no flakes. Love it so mucho that I bought 24 oz bottles from Amazon.

I use it with a scarf and water to smooth my edges for buns.

It doesn't have enough hold for me for wash and gos. I have 4A/4B hair.

Blairx0

i mix mine in my flax seed gel for hold. I purchase at hold foods and have used it straight with great results! It is quick to dry, non flaking, and has a strong hold!

nomadpixi

I'm using it with seamollient and it works great as a curl definer. Great detangled if used with coconut oil. Used to also add juice to my henna treatments. But coconut cream works better for that. Love this stuff-it saving me so much money!

jbwphoto1

I use aloe vera gel to lay down my edges, to pre poo, and as a face moisturizer. I use a different aloe vera gel for each purpose.

* fruit of the earth aloe vera gel has the best hold, I use this one to lay down edges.
* lily of the desert 99% aloe vera gelly is very moisturizing and helps to detangle my hair very easily, I use this on for pre poos
* vitamin world 99% aloe vera gel has no holding power, it's not sticky at all! works well as a face moisturizer or pre poo.

Wow, charmtreese! I'm thinking of doing a mix with AVG and something else as a leave-in conditioner. From your experience, sounds like Lily of the Desert would be best.

jbwphoto1

Vitacost has Lilly of the Desert AVG Whole Leaf and AVG Inner Fillet, so I'll need to do some additional research.

nrock

Fruit of the Earth laid my cuticle down so well, my hair looked like I had dyed it a darker color. My hair stayed moist and soft all day long. I will never use commercial gel again.