Sew-in Challenge 2014-2015 (6 months or 9 months)

ikandi87

Thanks for posting everyone! Love the install Smiley79!

I got my hurr did. I had her straighten the hair cause I can never get it straight myself. Please excuse my lame attire in these pics, I was volunteering at my church's health fair.

It feels so long. It doesn't look that long when curly tho so I'm gonna leave it alone for now. Blend is decent while straight too, if I'm not too lazy that's def a styling option.

Nice! Its very flat and natural. Please update us when u rock it in its natural state!

girlonfire

Ladies, count me in! Dont wanna wait til I get a new install. This one is only 2 weeks old so I'll start now

Current length or starting pic: SL

Challenge goal: APL

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months)
Somewhere between 4 and 6 months (roughly 2 back-to-back installs)

Weave style/install hair: currently wearing Peruvian deep wave 16, 18, 20 inch with a 12 inch lace closure (2 weeks old)

Next install will be the same type of virgin hair and similar length but maybe something less curly

Weave regimen: cleanse scalp and braids with ACV biweekly, oil scalp with JBCO and coconut oil mix. cleanse weave hair with sulfate free poo, DC with Giovanni SAS weekly. Spray weave with water and LI conditioner mix every morning, detangle and scrunch to get curls

Your top weave tip: for relief from scalp itch due to the "beard" on the inside of the tracks, oil the scalp with JBCO mixed with a thinner oil of choice. It relieves the inflammation and itch from a fresh sew in.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

how would you describe texture of your Peruvian hair?

Kentmane

Hi Ladies,

Can you help on the best way to DC while in weave please.

I have a partial leave out, but how do I DC my braided hair.

I used to weave back to back for at least 18 months, my hair grew but it was very thin.

Thank you

pearlygurl

^^^^I've been in weaves almost 2 years. I deep condition once per week. Just get an applicator bottle and dilute your conditioner (not too thin). Lift your tracks and squeeze the conditioner directly on your braids. Put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer. When done just go in between each track and rinse. HTH

pearlygurl

I'll join in the challenge! I've been in weaves almost 2 years back to back. I'm one of don't speak defeat's clients. I'm now fully natural and below shoulder length. I plan on wearing a weave at least 5 more months.

My regimen
Wash and deep condition 1x per week
Moisturize 3x per week

Kentmane

^^^^I've been in weaves almost 2 years. I deep condition once per week. Just get an applicator bottle and dilute your conditioner (not too thin). Lift your tracks and squeeze the conditioner directly on your braids. Put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer. When done just go in between each track and rinse. HTH

Thank you Pearlygirl...

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Hi Ladies, Can you help on the best way to DC while in weave please. I have a partial leave out, but how do I DC my braided hair. I used to weave back to back for at least 18 months, my hair grew but it was very thin. Thank you
I also like to slather DC on my braids with an applicator brush, then rinse with diluted shampoo. I also think DCing with heat really increases moisture for my hair. I either sit under my hooded dryer or wrap my hair in a plastic bag and then towel.
Make sure you give your hair a break between installs! I also sometimes oil my scalp with castor oil, which is known for increasing thickness.

naija24

Do you guys have your cornrows going straight down your head or across? My stylists installed my cornrows laterally and then added tracks across? Is this typical? I'm curious how I'm gonna wash my scalp?

ImanAdero

Do you guys have your cornrows going straight down your head or across? My stylists installed my cornrows laterally and then added tracks across? Is this typical? I'm curious how I'm gonna wash my scalp?

I have 2 anchor braids and then 4 spiral patterned braids.

My braid pattern actually made it super hard to get to my scalp, but it was the only way to get ALL of this hair under the weave.

Just take that applicator bottle and get up in there!

ikandi87

I may have to back out of this challenge if I get this promotion at work. Its from 5am-2pm so ill prbly get braids so I can be out the door by 430am.

mshoneyfly

Naija
My braids are in a spiral pattern too. I think the customary way to apply the tracks is across the braids rather than in the same direction. This ensures that the hair will fall and lay in a natural direction like your natural hair would.

I was worried about access to my scalp too but as it starts to loosen up you can get the tip of the applicator bottle under the tracks to get to your scalp. For these first few weeks, I am using ACV and water mix, holding my head back and squeezing directly under there. It worked out pretty well and the itching stopped. I just oil the areas I can get to and allow it to spread around the scalp.

How was your braid pattern for previous sew-ins? Was it easier to deal with?

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
About to cowash the hair and wear it in a curly ponytail. I will try to remember to snap a pic.
My scalp feels a bit sweaty from all my workouts this week, so I'll likely water rinse it. Holding off until tomorrow for my weekly wash/DC tho.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
naija24, my cornrows are in a u shape. Kinda like the circle but a u if that makes sense. They mirror the sewing pattern, so when I lift a track, in feeling scalp.
Nevertheless I've been able to wash under all kinda of braid patterns, def try the diluted shampoo in a spray bottle method. I directly spray it right on my scalp and scrub with my fingertips thoroughly.

mshoneyfly

how would you describe texture of your Peruvian hair?

girlonfire

Its a silky texture. Pretty similar to Brazilian. I checked out the Brazilian, Cambodian, Malaysian and Indian. They all felt too too silky and light weight to be somewhat realistic for me. This one has a nice weight to it but still silky. Here's a pic

image-1612504020.jpg

image-2011131266.jpg

I LOVE this HHJ!!

mzpurp

I'm still going to start this challenge! Just still trying to figure out what hair I want to get! As I posted in another thread:

I've been thinking about getting some kinky straight as well. Somewhere on this site, someone posted this vendor and I am thinking about ordering the Kinky Straight or either the Kinky Curly 4a/4b hair. Plus they're having a B2School sale that ends 8/10, coupon code: B2S20

http://www.mynaturalhairextensions.c...an-hair-weave/

http://www.mynaturalhairextensions.c...ir-yaki-weave/

If anyone else has ordered from this vendor, please let me know!

hairqueenny

Can you ladies please hold a spot for me?? I have been wearing weaves for the last 3 years as a protective style when I first started transitioning. I am now fully natural and still wear weaves because I experienced much growth this way. I will be taking out my current install very soon and will get a new doo within the month. At that time, I will definitely post the necessary info for the challenge.

ImanAdero

Why is there such a big jump between "curly" and "kinky curly" hair?!

Can't there be some kind of "in between" texture?!

I just got my kinky curly hair from Studio4Hair and I really like the texture (feels like it has silicone on it, but still pretty nonetheless with a natural luster), plus the 20 inch is SUPER full compared to the 22 inch regular Brazilian curly!

I still think I can get away with mixing textures and it'll still look pretty natural. Gonna talk to my stylist tomorrow about another appointment in September and getting the install done.

Here's a comparison of the hair:

Attachments

• image-2000114914.jpg
    image-2000114914.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3770790111.jpg
    image-3770790111.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 107

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Wash day for me.
I DCed under the dryer with heat for 20 minutes with silk elements then washed with diluted nexus moisturizing shampoo. I applied my DC to my leave out and braided hair and made sure to rinse thoroughly.
That DC did my hair good. My leave out looked healthy and sheeny without any product.
Then I applied a bit of argan oil and blow dried and flat ironed and chopped some of the hair lol. Past wsl to bsl. I just felt a little too vampy for the classroom-high school English teacher.

I love this hair, the texture is so versatile. It honestly looks just like my old kinky straight right now with a little more movement.

image-692550857.jpg

ikandi87

Wash day for me.
I DCed under the dryer with heat for 20 minutes with silk elements then washed with diluted nexus moisturizing shampoo. I applied my DC to my leave out and braided hair and made sure to rinse thoroughly.
That DC did my hair good. My leave out looked healthy and sheeny without any product.
Then I applied a bit of argan oil and blow dried and flat ironed and chopped some of the hair lol. Past wsl to bsl. I just felt a little too vampy for the classroom-high school English teacher.

I love this hair, the texture is so versatile. It honestly looks just like my old kinky straight right now with a little more movement.

You're a teacher? You look so young! But I agree that extra long weave isnt for every occasion. I had 26 inches that I cut to about 22 and im in the process of boiling it the kinky curly. I will be installing once I get the curl pattern right. Prbly by the end of the month.

mshoneyfly

Weave Update: So last week I didnt wash this hair and it started shedding like crazy! I pulled four balls of hair from the drain. I thought it would look a mess when I got out the shower. But it still looks just as thick and beautiful as ever.

So Sunday night I sprayed it with Aphogee Pro vitamin leave-in...yes protein! Then followed up with Giovanni 50:50 as a moisturizer. Also used sulfate poo this time. After detangling, it stopped the shedding in its tracks and became sooo silky soft. It tamed the frizz nicely and smells soo good too! The softness lasted late into Monday night. (This has never happened).

I was shocked bc I thought that I would need to take it out early. I still haven't flat ironed it and I really don't have the desire. I love the wave pattern but the hair is pretty high maintenance.

May not be able to reuse but Im gonna MAKE this bad boy last for the full 8 weeks. I just gotta learn to work with this BSS hair. I might add a midweek cowash to keep it hydrated between washings.

Last edited:

Smiley79

Checking in, I've been applying oil to my scalp every few days and massaging my edges with Castor oil mixed with peppermint oil every night. My sew in is holding up well, although I feel bad to admit that Im getting bored with my hair, I feel for some straight hair, lol, Im a mess.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Still haven't sewn in yet. Trying to decide if I'm going to get me some hurr or just use what I have. Might just use what I got for now. Will have my sister in law do my sew in either this weekend or next week.

Gr8ness83

Current length or starting pic:

Challenge goal:

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months)

Weave style/install hair:

Weave regimen:

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past)

Challenge goal: maximum health, length and retention
Commitment: 6 months (not including 2-3 week break in between each install)

Weave style:Full weave by Reniece/ curly 3b/3c Mongolian kinky curly hair from mercy hair extensions....
https://www.mercyshairextensions.com/product-category/mongolian/

Weave regimen: inverted monthly, nightly scalp massages, moisturizing braids 3x a week minimally, cowash weekly, wash every 2 weeks....

Top weave tip. 1 don't braid the base braids too tight as they will only get tighter once the tracks are sewn on2. Moisturize hair under the weave
3. If your goal is to grow your hair out, choose weave hair and hairstyle that you can work with and will enjoy having in for a whole, basicslly, avoid fads that you know you will not want after a a week or so.
4. Minimize the amount of leave out , especially if your hair is very different from the weave....

MRJ1972

I am going to join this challenge...I have been in my current install for 3 months and will be getting another one in the next week or so...

Current length or starting pic: SL as of now when pressed, EL (ear length -when wet! :lachen:

Challenge goal: Full APL when pressed, to be able to wear my real hair more often and it look healthy...MY SO loves to play in my hair and I know he is tired of hitting these tracks! LOL

Length of time commitment: I will wear weaves for the next 6 to 12 months

Weave style/install hair: Partial weave with minimal leave out/I use extenstions plus

Weave regimen: I have been going to the salon for styling, but at home, I wash and condition leave out only and air dry. - Dont take this advice! LOL

Your top weave tip (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past): Get someone to help remove the install...I have cut plenty of hair being impatient.

I need more tips on length retention and combing out the hair after the install.

My leave out is very damaged but I dont like the full sew-in because I dont like the "wiggy" look. I would recommend that you sew up as much hair as possible.

Last edited:

ezina

What do you guys do to prep your hair for an install? Are there any recommended heat-free ways to do this? I don't want to blow out my hair if I don't have to.

ikandi87

What do you guys do to prep your hair for an install? Are there any recommended heat-free ways to do this? I don't want to blow out my hair if I don't have to.

Are you installing it yourself? Some stylists prefer completely straight hair to braid to better grip the hair but if your doing it at home you can stretch your hair anyway you like. sometimes use the ponytail method or a braidout but I usually blow dry to speed up the process.

I usually prep by washing with shampoo then a moderate to heavy protein treatment then conditioner/deep conditioner. Then add a leave in like aphogee green tea spray then lightly loc then heat protectant then blow dry to stretch. I usually dont moisturize for a few days (about 5) after that. HTH

ImanAdero

Thank goodness my stylist is having a Back To School sale! Made my appointment for September 3rd! Can't wait!

In the mean time, going to do some serious babying of my hair. Gotta get in ALL the moisture it can stand in the next 2 weeks lol.