Sew-in Challenge 2014-2015 (6 months or 9 months)

mzpurp

I'll join this Sunday!! Anyone have experience with Weave Express salons? Hair plus installation would be under 150, which is a steal in the DC metro.

I've been to the Weave Express before, but I've never purchased hair from them, I took my own. I loved my experience, I've actually had them install my hair twice! This stylist April did my hair and she did a very good job! Couldn't tell you if she still worked there. You have to get there early though (it's been a while so i can't remember if I had an appointment or not) cuz the line does get long. But they usually have a good 6 or 7 weavers present, if not more.

Jasmataz

I'm in! I plan on getting my sew-in at the end of this month.

Current length or starting pic: A few inches above BSL

Challenge goal: Full MBL

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months) 9 months, but I'll probably go longer than that :yep:

Weave style/install hair: Senghori Shells Relaxed Rhythms 14". I'm getting a full head weave with a little bit of leave out, and I'll probably get it styled simple with a side part and a few layers.

Weave regimen: Shampoo and deep condition (with heat) every 2 to 3 weeks. Moisturize braids underneath about 3 or 4 times a weeks. I keep my weaves in for at least 2 months and never longer than 3. I'll sometimes have my ends dusted in between weaves.

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past) Applying shampoo with an applicator bottle mixed with water makes things so much easier. I do the same thing with the conditioner. Also, when I moisturize I prefer to use sprays.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I'm so excited for my appointment tomorrow. I think I'm going to leave the hair longer than usual. It's 20" and I was gonna cut it to apl but nah.
Going to dye my hair and the weave tonight, jet black. Also do a nice DC.

My ends are in great shape still from my trim a month ago, and I have little to no breakage.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
@JasmineLatice, Lucky girl!! Reniece does such a fabulous job with all of her clients.

Thanks for the net note. I've only had one once- I hated it.
I will ask this stylist to 86 the net.

ezina

I'm saving my spot for the challenge. I don't get my install until September 4th. Can't wait. Great challenge, OP! :yep:

Current length or starting pic: BSL as of now. Will post pic just before my install for accuracy.

Challenge goal: Full MBL.

Length of time commitment: Depends if I like my weave experience. I would like to have it for ideally 6 or 9 months (maybe more!) with mini breaks every 2 months or so. I'm paying a lot for this hair and want to get the most out of it.

Weave style/install hair: Full weave, maybe a lace closure. Will update once I get install.

Weave regimen: Don't know. I've entered a zone I'm totally unfamiliar with. Should be interesting. :drunk:

Your top weave tip (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past): No idea. I'm a bun girl who has occasionally worn braids with added hair in the past.

ImanAdero

Current length or starting pic: Challenge goal: Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months) Weave style/install hair: Weave regimen: Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past)

Okay, so I'm doing 6 months.

I will install my curly weave in September and wear that for 10-12 weeks. I will then take a 2-3 week brea before installing my straight weave for 8-12 weeks depending on how it holds up.

For my curly weave, I bought online from a hair salon vendor called Studio 4 Hair based in ATL (they had an ALL lengths under $90 sale and it was too good to be true so I bought 2 bundles at 22 and one bundle at 24. I've also bought a kinky curly bundle from them i at 20 inches.) I plan to mix the textures to try and give it a more realistic appearance. I'm doing the curly weave for fall because I won't be able to wet it daily during winter. I'm going to have a small amount of leave out for the perimeter and for a side part.

For the straight weave, I will be reusing my Her Imports Brazilian body wave hair and it will be the second install with the hair. I also plan to cut these bundles (16,18,20) to be be a shoulder length bob. I currently have bangs and will probably do the same then.

When in my weave I was every other week and moisturize my braids underneath with a braid spray and oil my scalp. I don't sleep with a scarf because I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

Top weave tip is to not neglect your scalp! And just understand it WILL itch. But do your best to keep your scalp healthy under the wefts.

Dasssit.

Oh and I'll have a photo come September.

Adiatasha

Just washed my leave out.. My scalp was flaky and dry. I shampooed with SM black African soap, Giovanni smooth as silk protein, and DC with Aubrey organics HSR

I only wash my weave once month.

sharifeh

Just washed my leave out.. My scalp was flaky and dry. I shampooed with SM black African soap, Giovanni smooth as silk protein, and DC with Aubrey organics HSR

I only wash my weave once month.

how do you wash the leave out without washing the weave?

ikandi87

I know this wasn't directed towards me but it's easy! It should be washed in the kitchen sink. Just pull the weave back into a ponytail and wash ur leave out or if you're washing your perimeter pull up into a ponytail and use the spray attachment on your sink. I do it all of the time!

naija24

Current length or starting pic: Skimming shoulder

Challenge goal: CBL by Xmas!!

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months) 6 month commitment, so 2-3 installations

Weave style/install hair: Straight partial weave

Weave regimen: Professionally wash and maintain my hair/weave for 8-10 weeks, remove and reinstall without breaks.

image-1664952294.jpg

image-1157813156.jpg

Adiatasha

What ikandi87 said...

In my bathroom sink, I pull the weave back in a pony and just shampoo my leave out , protein treatment and deep condition.

I leave my weave in for 3 months at a time sooo I can't have all that washing of my actual weave.

I'm weaved up until I get there...

mshoneyfly

Ladies, count me in! Dont wanna wait til I get a new install. This one is only 2 weeks old so I'll start now

Current length or starting pic: SL

Challenge goal: APL

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months)
Somewhere between 4 and 6 months (roughly 2 back-to-back installs)

Weave style/install hair: currently wearing Peruvian deep wave 16, 18, 20 inch with a 12 inch lace closure (2 weeks old)

Next install will be the same type of virgin hair and similar length but maybe something less curly

Weave regimen: cleanse scalp and braids with ACV biweekly, oil scalp with JBCO and coconut oil mix. cleanse weave hair with sulfate free poo, DC with Giovanni SAS weekly. Spray weave with water and LI conditioner mix every morning, detangle and scrunch to get curls

Your top weave tip: for relief from scalp itch due to the "beard" on the inside of the tracks, oil the scalp with JBCO mixed with a thinner oil of choice. It relieves the inflammation and itch from a fresh sew in.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Smiley79

Updating...I ended up getting my full sew-in on Saturday August 2nd.
I opted for Mongolian Kinky Curly hair from AliExpress. We'll see how this goes. My goal is one month with this sew in. It's my first time wearing kinky curly hair so excuse the lack of styling, lol, I'm trying to learn how to manage it and keep it big yet cute.

Attachments

• eqnyqmk.jpg
    eqnyqmk.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 147
  • d4xdjkv.jpg
    d4xdjkv.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 174

ikandi87

I opted for Mongolian Kinky Curly hair from AliExpress. We'll see how this goes. My goal is one month with this sew in. It's my first time wearing kinky curly hair so excuse the lack of styling, lol, I'm trying to learn how to manage it and keep it big yet cute.

Omg! Its gorgeous! It looks so natural. . .your stylist did a wonderful job! Please keep us updated!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

It looks gr8!

SugarRush

Current length or starting pic: Layered CL/SL (just had a fresh cut from APL)

Challenge goal: I really just need to put my hair away for a while but healthy BSL at the end of the challenge would be an added bonus.

Length of time commitment: 9 months (maybe even 12 months)

Weave style/install hair: ONYC tight kinky curly in 14”. I chose this hair because it is the closest match to my 4b/c hair and I’ll be able to blend my leave out with low manipulation. The bundle I received was #2ish in color so I washed, dyed black and dc’d in preparation for my install next week.

Weave regimen: My first install is in a week. I plan to keep my sew-ins for 10-12 weeks with a week break between installs. I’ll wash and DC every 2 weeks and have the weave retightened at the 6 weeks mark. Oil scalp with Bee mine serum every other day, M&S leave out daily and moisturize braids under weave about 3x a week.

Your top weave tip: I’ve probably had less than 5 installs in my life and this is my first weave since 2007, so I’ll be here looking for tips and advice.

Side note: I’m really hoping my weave turns out great because I’m kinda over my hair at this moment :ohwell: . I’ve been busy with life lately and I no longer enjoy doing my hair as before, it seems like a chore. I thought the recent cut would help but nope, so I’m just putting my hair away. If this install turns out well I can see myself in weaves for at least a year.

ImanAdero

Updating...I ended up getting my full sew-in on Saturday August 2nd. I opted for Mongolian Kinky Curly hair from AliExpress. We'll see how this goes. My goal is one month with this sew in. It's my first time wearing kinky curly hair so excuse the lack of styling, lol, I'm trying to learn how to manage it and keep it big yet cute.

Can you keep us updated in how the AliExpress hair holds up? Also did you have any issues with the hair? Smell? Nits? Ive heard ALL kinds things about AliExpress and haven't bought, but if it works out for you... I know at least there's a less expensive vendor than the ones I bought from.

mshoneyfly

Update:

Made a new moisture spray mix of Shea Moisture transitioning milk and water. I love the smell and the moisture I get from this product. It mixes with water better than the Kinky Curly KT leave in.

I rinsed my scalp with ACV and water mix then shampooed the weave hair with Shea Moisture moisture retention poo. Added AOHSR to the hair then Giovanni SAS deeper moisture for about 15 minutes. Used the SM spray mix all over and now sitting under the dryer.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

ikandi87

Ill be washing and blow drying my hair today for a length check but im not sure when ill be installing...prbly by the end of the week.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Thanks for posting everyone! Love the install Smiley79!

I got my hurr did. I had her straighten the hair cause I can never get it straight myself. Please excuse my lame attire in these pics, I was volunteering at my church's health fair.

image-4243736217.jpg

It feels so long. It doesn't look that long when curly tho so I'm gonna leave it alone for now. Blend is decent while straight too, if I'm not too lazy that's def a styling option.