Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

Misseyl

A lot of people from another hair site are raving about the Maximum Hydration Method for 4c hair. I think I'm about to try it. Anyone here doing it?

mshoneyfly

Isnt mainly for 4b/c lo porosity hair that is dry and lacks moisture and curl definition? I LOVE this HHJ!!

girlonfire

I've been trying to find out more about it. From what i think it seems like a lot to be doing every day, and i don't feel.comfortable usimg baking soda in my hair honestly

SimJam

that's a whole darn lot of steps to do daily (least 2-3 times per week)

does remind me though that I have some clays and terressentials to use up

Ogoma

That is a whole lot of steps to do 1x a week. Curious to read LT results because I don't see it ending well.

Cherry Lola Treatment - Baking soda/ACV rinse - Cowash - Steam - Clay Rinse - Leave-in - Gel.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm low porosity and totally disagree with this method for my hair with reading through he steps. Some of the products recommended aren't even effective for my hair. Pass.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I think this method and the parts of it that actually work can be summed up with co-washing frequently and deep conditioning at least twice a week.

That sounds like max hydration to me and would certainly soften up dry hair assuming you can fit all that co-washing and deep conditioning into your lifestyle.

As for all the steps :nono:, all of that can't be a good idea for the long term :spinning:.

girlonfire

I think this method and the parts of it that actually work can be summed up with co-washing frequently and deep conditioning at least twice a week.

That sounds like max hydration to me and would certainly soften up dry hair assuming you can fit all that co-washing and deep conditioning into your lifestyle.

As for all the steps :nono:, all of that can't be a good idea for the long term :spinning:.

I was thinking about doing that a few months ago. I thought it would be too much trouble. now that I think about it the only reason my hair is so much trouble is because I will wait a whole week to do anything to it so maybe if I did something wrong it would cut down tingling and increase my shirt but is that too much manipulation, these are my questions

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I was thinking about doing that a few months ago. I thought it would be too much trouble. now that I think about it the only reason my hair is so much trouble is because I will wait a whole week to do anything to it so maybe if I did something wrong it would cut down tingling and increase my shirt but is that too much manipulation, these are my questions

I like how my hair feels when I co-wash more frequently. It is also easier to manage when I do that. However, I can't maintain the habit because it takes me too long to stretch and detangle my hair afterwards and this makes it unfriendly to my weekly schedule.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Well I've been doing the MHM regimen for almost two months and my hair is doing way better than when I first started my natural hair journey. Let me also say that I'm not a 4c but a 4 a/b and according to my hair analysis I'm normal to high porosity. This regimen can be time consuming but it does work. The baking soda will not damage the hair cuz the conditioner is the buffer. Initially I gave it the side eye but the more I learned about it the more I was willing to give it a try. My breakage has slow down, my shedding has slowed down, I rarely get single strands, and I'm finally retaining moisture. I have not had any negative effects with my hair only positive. I can slowly see my curls hydrating but I do no it's going to take me months to reach hydration, but it'll be worth it. I also want to add that I'm finally retaining length too. I encourage you ladies to please have an open mind especially if you're struggling with your hair.

Misseyl

Well I've been doing the MHM regimen for almost two months and my hair is doing way better than when I first started my natural hair journey. Let me also say that I'm not a 4c but a 4 a/b and according to my hair analysis I'm normal to high porosity. This regimen can be time consuming but it does work. The baking soda will not damage the hair cuz the conditioner is the buffer. Initially I gave it the side eye but the more I learned about it the more I was willing to give it a try. My breakage has slow down, my shedding has slowed down, I rarely get single strands, and I'm finally retaining moisture. I have not had any negative effects with my hair only positive. I can slowly see my curls hydrating but I do no it's going to take me months to reach hydration, but it'll be worth it. I also want to add that I'm finally retaining length too. I encourage you ladies to please have an open mind especially if you're struggling with your hair.
Thanks, I am glad the MHM is working for you. I was dissecting the ingredients and I have 4c low porosity hair and vinegar will only keep my tightly closed cuticle closed, the baking soda will probably raise my cuticles but how abrasive it is? Most importantly is, Pinkecube. I would love to see a picture of her hair. How it looks.

For now, I finally settled on washing with Rhassoul Clay. From my understanding, it will leave my hair soft and moisturized but no definition.

On another thought, I recently used BAQ Henna and I believed it changed my hair texture. I thought my hair was 4a/b before the Henna.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
http://www.maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/06/the-max-hydration-method-full-step-by.html
^Here's the website + method.

What's the point of clarifying daily? I also feel some type of way that one of the goals is getting a "curl pop" as a 4c...
Curious to know if anyone here tried this with good results. I doubt this would work for me since I'm hi-po and my strands would probably get waterlogged.
I saw this method mentioned on here and on Instagram so I decided to do some research. I didn't realize it was geared to 4c's, I'm 4a. The two ladies I've seen so far were actually 4a's but claiming 4c. One was clearly 4a before the method. The other it wasn't as clear.

Good points!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

I think its more about opening the cuticle before cowashing and DCing. Baking soda and clays will open up low po hair enough for moisturizing products to get in. I'm not sure I'd want to do so many steps, but the method makes sense if you have low porosity hair.

faithVA

I think its more about opening the cuticle before cowashing and DCing. Baking soda and clays will open up low po hair enough for moisturizing products to get in. I'm not sure I'd want to do so many steps, but the method makes sense if you have low porosity hair.

I have been cowashing and DCing twice a week since February and my hair doesn't absorb much moisture at all. It does a bit better than it did without cowashing but it isn't an amazing experience like I have read from others. I started using ACV before cowashing/DCing at the end of March and my hair has done better. Not amazing but better.

It is very difficult to get water in my hair and even more difficult to get it to stay.

bellebebe

Ironically, I've been using these exact products in my hair, but in different steps. I will definitely give this a go during my vacay

shelli4018

I'm loosely following it. So far it seems to work. I've discovered my hair actually has a curl pattern. In fact I'm starting to believe my hair isn't 4C at the crown. Based on my emerging curl pattern I'd say my hair is 4A at the crown and 3B/C everywhere else. Who knew? The key for me was the Cherry Lola treatment and finding a botanical gel. I wanted to love Eco styler but my hair hates it. Still not at max hydration though. But I can totally see getting there in time. I've never been able to wear a wash and go before.

Oh yeah...smoothing the gel/conditioner in smaller sections is effective too. Right now I'm using Tresemme moisture (can't think of the actual name) and Extreme Wetline Gel. I'll probably add oil to the gel soon.

Last edited:

McQuay30

I'm loosely following it. So far it seems to work. I've discovered my hair actually has a curl pattern. In fact I'm starting to believe my hair isn't 4C at the crown. Based on my emerging curl pattern I'd say my hair is 4A at the crown and 3B/C everywhere else. Who knew? The key for me was the Cherry Lola treatment and finding a botanical gel. I wanted to love Eco styler but my hair hates it. Still not at max hydration though. But I can totally see getting there in time. I've never been able to wear a wash and go before.

Oh yeah...smoothing the gel/conditioner in smaller sections is effective too. Right now I'm using Tresemme moisture (can't think of the actual name) and Extreme Wetline Gel. I'll probably add oil to the gel soon.

shellie4018, do you use the baking soda?

Sent from my SM-G900V using LHCF

shelli4018

shellie4018, do you use the baking soda?

I've used it for the CL treatment. The first time I tried it wasn't so hot. I didn't have all of the ingredients and kinda popped everything into the container at once. I'm pretty sure I didn't use 2 TBSP of baking soda either....maybe just one. The resulting mixture was chalky and felt rough on my hair. A few waves showed up but not many curls.

The 2nd time I tried it I still didn't use all of the ingredients. But I used 2 TBSP of baking soda this time and remembered to throw in an over ripe banana. The mixture was completely different that time. It was frothy and had much more slip. My curls started to pop right away.

I'm on my second day of this WNG. Will likely CW tonight and hope these curls stay put. I'm on vacation so I only have the basics: conditioner and gel. It shouldn't be a problem since that's pretty much the CG method.

almond eyes

I am a combo of 3c/4a/4b and I think maximum hydration of hair requires daily wetting or washing or at least washing or wetting several times a week until your hair gets used to water/moisture. Gel makes the hair look very hard on 4b/4c after the hair has dried. I don't think hair requires all those steps. I have been washing my hair everyday since I shaved in May and it took a while for my hair to get used to.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

McQuay30

So you're not follow the part about using baking soda every time you wash and or wet your hair?

shelli4018

I don't use baking soda every time. Nor do I use ACV. In my opinion there are too many darn steps in this method (LOL)! But I totally buy what Pinkecube is saying. There is some merit to her argument that frizzy type 4 hair is just parched hair. However I've seen a number of women on YT who have gotten the same results using the Curly Girl method. So I'm experimenting with the two. There is no way I'm spending hours on my hair, investing in complicated methods or expensive products.

mg1979

The before and after pics are pretty compelling, but this is so time consuming. Maybe if I took a one week stay-cation, but in the meantime I got to work 40 hours a week. But I can't help but wonder if it would save me more time, energy, and money in the long run.