Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Babygrowth

I'm definitely in.

Current length: grazing SL but hope to be there officially by the end of December.
e year

Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: magnetic rollersets and maybe curlformers or perm rods
Current Setting products: SSI coco creme LI, trying out Jane Carter but will definitely get the keracare foam and lottabody ETA: JC sucks!
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: better growth and retention without weaves, wigs, and braids. I want to love my hair again.
How long do you plan to set? The whole year at least 1x a week

Will post starting pic at the end of the month.

Sorry guys. I'm out before it even starts. I decided to hide my hair instead because I'm not relaxing for a while and I don't want to deal with my newgrowth.

Blairx0

Sorry guys. I'm out before it even starts. I decided to hide my hair instead because I'm not relaxing for a while and I don't want to deal with my newgrowth.

Good luck on your stretch. If you decide to set it mix it up come back and post.

faithVA

Ladies that maintain the style with pin curls do you apply anything to your ends before you pin curl? tia

faithVA

I did a curlformer set last night. Nothing to take a picture of but it is wearable. I was doing a S&D while setting so it took me forever. It was a waste of time because I ended up trimming my ends when I took the curlformers out. :ohwell:

I haven't done many curlformer sets so I am trying a lot of different things out.

I DCd under heat with SM Restorative conditioner, rinsed, misted with vegemoist/water and then baggied for 15 minutes. I sealed my ends with castor oil. Used Hairveda whipped ends as my leave-in. Sealed with hazelnut and set with Edenbody works curling cream. Because I took so long to S&D while setting my hair was probably dry when I got under the dryer :lol: I sat under the dryer on low heat for 1 hour and it was dry. The curls looked nice when I took them out but the ends were bad. So I clipped anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" in most spots. The back had a lot of damage so I had to clip 1" in some spots.

I tried to pin curl :perplexed: I don't know if I have the patience for it. When I stretched out the curls this morning they were a bit fuzzy. So I have a curly fro. I banded it back and it looks ok. My ends still need work but my hair feels nice and soft.

Lessons learned:
1. Skip the glycerin leave-in. I know this but wanted to use it up :nono:
2. Saturate the hair more when setting

Now I need to see if I can effectively maintain this for a week.

I will also try regular roller sets and perm rod sets to see how I like those.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Ladies that maintain the style with pin curls do you apply anything to your ends before you pin curl? tia

I find with my hair if I do pincurls right after the set, I only need to add a light oil/serum like Moroccan oil or CD Macadamia serum. (Only one pump for the entire head) Anything heavier will cause the pin curls to be frizzy because my hair will get re-wet with regular moisturizer. I prefer not to pincurl and bantu knot instead. That way I can use a little bit of moisturizer and setting with bantu knots will allow the moisturizer to dry in a more controlled environment if that makes sense and have almost no frizzes.

faithVA

I find with my hair if I do pincurls right after the set, I only need to add a light oil/serum like Moroccan oil or CD Macadamia serum. (Only one pump for the entire head) Anything heavier will cause the pin curls to be frizzy because my hair will get re-wet with regular moisturizer. I prefer not to pincurl and bantu knot instead. That way I can use a little bit of moisturizer and setting with bantu knots will allow the moisturizer to dry in a more controlled environment if that makes sense and have almost no frizzes.

Thank You. I will try the bantu knots.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
We were at the mall doing a little shopping yesterday so I went to Sephora hoping to pick up the Carols Daughter foam for my next set. Of course they were fresh out. I remember I saw a post she did on Instagram about free shipping on any amount from her online site AND 35% off the entire order. Even though I hate shopping online, I went ahead and did it. I purchased 2 bottles of the setting foam and ended up saving over $19 with the code and free shipping...so I pretty much got the 2nd bottle for free. I'll attach 2 different codes if anyone is interested. One code has a free item with purchase.

Last edited:

Queensheba88

Can I join this thread I plan to incorporate rollersetting into my reggie in conjunction with protective styling....when my hair is out I plan to rollerset

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Current hair length: MBL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

Current Setting method and styling choices: I am most proficient at curlformer sets but I'm hoping to get more into jumbo (3") magnetic roller sets. I plan to primarily set for stretched hair (either heat-free or sans direct heat) for 30 Day Protective Styles. Occasionally, I may wear the set as is for a week then do a 3 week protective style instead.

Current Setting products: Carol's Daughter Chocolat Shampoo, Conditioner, & Blow Dry Cream; Chi Keratin Mist; Cocoa Butter; and Silk Elements Heat Protectant

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
S T R E T C H E D hair! :) Low-Tangle Hair! Reduced SSKs! Better retention because of the above... Eventually more manageability and easier "out" styles.

How long do you plan to set?: I am going to set religiously once a month for all of 2014 :grin:

Below is my last length check: 11/30/13 and my airdried curlformers set that I combed out for a blown out look on 12/7/13

Sent using LHCF app

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131209_145415.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131209_145415.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 114
  • ForumRunner_20131209_145441.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131209_145441.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 109
  • ForumRunner_20131209_145510.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131209_145510.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20131209_150026.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131209_150026.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

sexypebbly

For challengers wanting to join, after thanking this post answer the following questions:
Current hair length: neck length

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

Current Setting method and styling choices: Will use curlformers mostly and use magnetic rollers once in a while.

Current Setting products: will set with whatever leave ins and butters I have and eco styler gel

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: better retention and LENGTH and healthy ends

How long do you plan to set?: Plan to set til may then do some braids or kinky twist

Post a beginning picture: will post next week :)

faithVA

My curlformer set was poofy this morning. It was raining so i wasn't sure how it was going to hold up. But it did fine. It wasn't any poofier at the end of the day. Since it was so frizzy I didn't try to save it so i put in moisturized and sealed and put in flat twist.

I will probably do another set after Christmas.

Blairx0

My curlformer set was poofy this morning. It was raining so i wasn't sure how it was going to hold up. But it did fine. It wasn't any poofier at the end of the day. Since it was so frizzy I didn't try to save it so i put in moisturized and sealed and put in flat twist.

I will probably do another set after Christmas.

The rain will get you! I bet your flat twist out will still come stretched

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'M IN IT, TO WIN IT!!!

- Current hair length: Full APL and 2" from BSL
- Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed
- Current Setting method and styling choices: I set my hair in what ever way I want my hair to fall when finished. The Mohawk method takes too long for me.
- Current Setting products: I apply Darcy Botanicals Leave-In, Nairobi Setting lotion and apply Redkin Smooth Lock heat glide. After hair is dry, I apply a light moisturizer and light handedly seal with coconut oil.
- Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I only wish to achieve longer soft and bouncy sets like they currently are.
- How long do you plan to set?: For as long as I can comfortably stretch my arms out to roll, lol

Post a beginning picture:
View attachment 236493
This is my set from this past Friday. I was in a rush to pick up a friend for my Company's holiday party...I am so proud of my self!! I washed, set, dried and styled my hair in 1 1/2 hours!!

This pic is from the week before last:
View attachment 236495
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'M IN IT, TO WIN IT!!!

- Current hair length: Full APL and 2" from BSL
- Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed
- Current Setting method and styling choices: I set my hair in what ever way I want my hair to fall when finished. The Mohawk method takes too long for me.
- Current Setting products: I apply Darcy Botanicals Leave-In, Nairobi Setting lotion and apply Redkin Smooth Lock heat glide. After hair is dry, I apply a light moisturizer and light handedly seal with coconut oil.
- Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I only wish to achieve longer soft and bouncy sets like they currently are.
- How long do you plan to set?: For as long as I can comfortably stretch my arms out to roll, lol

Post a beginning picture:

This is my set from this past Friday. I was in a rush to pick up a friend for my Company's holiday party...I am so proud of my self!! I washed, set, dried and styled my hair in 1 1/2 hours!!

This pic is from the week before last:

Your set is so beautiful! What rollers do you use?

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Blairx0

Thinking of a curl formers set tomorrow. It has been a long time, but I a determined to make 2014 the year of the curlformers

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Thinking of a curl formers set tomorrow. It has been a long time, but I a determined to make 2014 the year of the curlformers

This is exactly how I'm thinking. I'm probably going to do twists first and then curlformer over that if I don't like the way the curlformer set looks by itself.

HPG

sexypebbly

This is exactly how I'm thinking. I'm probably going to do twists first and then curlformer over that if I don't like the way the curlformer set looks by itself.

HPG

I think you will like the curlformer set. So no more thinking and just do :) I think you'll be happy once you do.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I think you will like the curlformer set. So no more thinking and just do :) I think you'll be happy once you do.

Thanks pebble I think I'm just nervous bc of my length. All of you ladies have such gorgeous hair and rollersets and then I feel like mine will be like WTH was she thinking lol. I'm going to give it a try Sunday though.

HPG

brownb83

Current hair length:
Full SL
Texlaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices:
Perm rods, magnetic rollers. I usually just wear it until the curls fall.

Current Setting products:
Miss Jesse's pillow soft/quick curls
A water bottle with 3/4 water 1/4 just for me detangler.

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
Healthier hair and learning to use flexI rods.

How long do you plan to set?: forever grin

Blairx0

Sitting under the dryer with a head full of curlfotmers. I'm not sure how long these things take to dry. I figured I would do an hour under the dryer and an hour walking around the house doing whatever.

Two hours, one with heat and one without, seem reasnable.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Sitting under the dryer with a head full of curlfotmers. I'm not sure how long these things take to dry. I figured I would do an hour under the dryer and an hour walking around the house doing whatever. Two hours, one with heat and one without, seem reasnable.

From my experience. The longer you keep curlformers in, the longer they will last. I think it's why the company recommends overnight.

Blairx0

From my experience. The longer you keep curlformers in, the longer they will last. I think it's why the company recommends overnight.

Boo to sleeping overnight. If I end up staying home today I will leave them in, but come bed time it may be a no go

GettingKinky

I want to join!

Current hair length: BSL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed with ~ -3-4 inches of relaxed ends

Current Setting method and styling choices: I don't currently set, but I plan to ponytail set using my magnetic rollers. I may buy mesh rollers so I can dry faster

Current Setting products: diluted LottaBody and Chi Silk Infusion. I'm not sure if I should do my typical LOC first or not, I have to experiment

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I want smooth, bouncy, curly hair that lasts for at least a week. I also want to get faster at the whole process.

How long do you plan to set?: All year, minimum of once a month. If I set once a month for 6 months I will reward myself with a Pibbs dryer.

Post a beginning picture I'll have to come back with a picture

Last edited:

Blairx0

Tryig to listen to KiWiStyle and leave these curlformers in. I sat under the dryer for 2 hours and did some dinner prep. I know my hair is dry, but I will let it set during football.

ForumRunner_20131212_172424.jpg

ForumRunner_20131212_172445.jpg

Couldn't resit a sneak peak tho

brownb83

Motivation !

Attachments

• aadad900da2b7b216da4b620703d7453.jpg
    aadad900da2b7b216da4b620703d7453.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 141
  • a7dce2525f4ae3eba6eff363a40d5db4.jpg
    a7dce2525f4ae3eba6eff363a40d5db4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 133
  • 163623e259471179ebf29a181dbf2973.jpg
    163623e259471179ebf29a181dbf2973.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 5a70cf7a190d14025c7ab0794a2e66dd.jpg
    5a70cf7a190d14025c7ab0794a2e66dd.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 117

Blairx0

lulu97

I bought the extra wide ones. I had the wide and long that give the more tight spiral curl look and hated them. I just didn't like the look on me so someone took them off my hands in the exchange.

I however am excited about these. The curls are much more like a traditional set