Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

SimJam

What I meant was that it seemed as though most of the posters had gotten away from pinkcubes recipe and were manipulating the recipe due to ingredients already in their possession or their hair type, porosity, shaving off time...and a host of reason why they couldn't stick to it. And that is NO SHADE to those who did that.

I was looking for someone who had not modified it and gained positive results with 4c hair.

Yes many ppl were/are using other products but I think what was consistent is Pinke saying to them that using products with nono ingredients will lengthen the time it takes to reach maxhydration

with regards to length of time of each step ... I think each person can tweak according to how their hair responds

IronButterfly

MHM is by far the BEST bandwagon I've ever jumped on! I don't have 4c hair, more like 4a/b, and now some of it is starting to look like 3c. Unbeknownst to me, the gel I've been using has glycerine, but I've had no adverse reaction. My hair is...unbelievable! The dry time is no where near as long as it was before. My hair dries soft well into the next day. My hard, crunchy, difficult to moisturize crown is no more. And dare I say, I have some swang!:yep:

I'm on day 5 of the 7 day and am astounded by the immediate results. I'm going to use homemade flaxseed gel today and see if it makes a difference.

I don't do anything overnight. Everything is done in one setting (or between errands) and I've narrowed the time down to 2 hrs (I never have a completely empty time period, otherwise the time would have been cut down to 90 min) from the initial 4 hrs. My hair seems to love baking soda. Who knew?

Now, I just wonder how long it's going to take the mainstream to pick up on this and start pushing products to maximize the moisture. Puhleeze! :lol:

fluffyforever

Is it bad that I'm afraid that if mainstream does pick it up clay prices will creep up and up? That it would be hard to buy clay on the ground? Where are ya'll buying clay from and what are some cheap sources :look:

IronButterfly

Is it bad that I'm afraid that if mainstream does pick it up clay prices will creep up and up? That it would be hard to buy clay on the ground? Where are ya'll buying clay from and what are some cheap sources :look:
I just snagged 2lbs of bentonite from ebay for under $9.:look:

Free shipping, too.

Last edited:

panamoni

Have any of you straightened your hair since starting this method? If so, what has the effect of straightening it been?

RockRideTrue

I'm afraid of prices going up too for all the items, especially clay. That happened to Shea Moisture once they got rolling *tears* I'm getting my clay from Amazon around $10 and free shipping with prime.

CocoGlow

I'm afraid of prices going up too for all the items, especially clay. That happened to Shea Moisture once they got rolling *tears* I'm getting my clay from Amazon around $10 and free shipping with prime.

Yeah I'm scared of that too ... the Aztec Healing Clay brand that most of us are using is probably going to increase the price once they get all these new orders from us and all of the lurkers reading these threads... I really hope not - it would be great to rely on a brand that keeps the price low but you know how greedy these companies can be :nono:

The Aztec brand is Calcium Bentonite, however a lot of bulk herb/oil websites are selling Sodium Bentonite which is very different. I purchased 1lb of Sodium Bentonite for a very low price ($2.98 per lb/$7.67 per 5lbs/$32.50 per 10lbs) from BulkApothecary.com - way cheaper than any other website I've seen.

However, I personally prefer the Calcium Benonite because it is way easier to work with. The Sodium version absorbs soooo much water that I was constantly needing to add more water to the bottle while I was applying the clay to my hair! The bottle would get stopped up with clay every few minutes, even after adding what I thought would be enough water minutes ago :spinning: it was messier and frustrating - very different experience than using the Calcium Bentonite :sad:

My hair felt heavier with the Sodium Bentonite clay on my hair which was interesting - and my hair felt nice upon rinsing the Sodium Bentonite clay out, comparable to the Calcium Bentonite but a little more dry/rough... wasn't too noticeable though my hair feels softer with the Calcium Bentonite

So to me the clear winner is Calcium Bentonite but I will keep the Sodium Bentonite as a back-up until it runs out - maybe I can figure out a better recipe to suit the unique super absorbing nature of Sodium Bentonite - it sure is cheaper! :yep:

Last edited:

Alta Angel

I am still on the fence. I would love to try it but with kids,business, DH, homework, etc., it seems like I would never have time.

So I will be lurking and watching in the meantime. :look:

Oh and please post some pictures! !!!!

Honey Bee

I dreamed that I had just completed the whole reggie, made and applied my flax seed gel, and was feeling quite pleased with myself...

until I remembered that I hadn't dc'd! Had to do it all over again. :wallbash: :lachen:

Dreams be feeling so real sometimes... I woke up snippy with SO. :look:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I plan on dying my hair using a semi permanent color. Should i do the MHM first then color my hair or color my hair 1st then do the MHM?

myfaithrising

I am still on the fence. I would love to try it but with kids,business, DH, homework, etc., it seems like I would never have time.

So I will be lurking and watching in the meantime. :look:

Oh and please post some pictures! !!!!

Speaking of pics, I just did a side by

ForumRunner_20140920_181743.jpg

side and it's such a huge difference. The first pic was my wet hair in July and the second is my wet hair with flaxseed gel now.

intellectualuva

I've done this since my weave take down.....i love it.

I'm pretty lazy, so I didn't start with cherry Lola method day 1. Only thing i did different was spritz my hair/scalp with black tea (it's been helping with growth). Then I used ACV, KCKT with steamer, Wholefoods Clay, KCKT again + very watery Kinky Curly Gel for soft hold. My hair looked great letting it air dry.

I redid it 2 days later, overnight DC (my hair really hates overnight DC) and it didn't come out as great, but better than any other wash and go I ever tried. Photo attached of my day 3 'do....cropping out as much of me as possible. Lol. Tonight I'm doing the cherry Lola method first, overnight DC and see if it makes a difference.

I added Lavender e.o. to my KCKT too. In between days, I put N-Joy, Pumpkin Oil and JBCO on the scalp to massage. (Not needed I don't think, but it's my habit regardless)

ETA: kept crashing when I tried to add photos....will do later.

myfaithrising

I've done this since my weave take down.....i love it. I'm pretty lazy, so I didn't start with cherry Lola method day 1. Only thing i did different was spritz my hair/scalp with black tea (it's been helping with growth). Then I used ACV, KCKT with steamer, Wholefoods Clay, KCKT again + very watery Kinky Curly Gel for soft hold. My hair looked great letting it air dry. I redid it 2 days later, overnight DC (my hair really hates overnight DC) and it didn't come out as great, but better than any other wash and go I ever tried. Photo attached of my day 3 'do....cropping out as much of me as possible. Lol. Tonight I'm doing the cherry Lola method first, overnight DC and see if it makes a difference. I added Lavender e.o. to my KCKT too. In between days, I put N-Joy, Pumpkin Oil and JBCO on the scalp to massage. (Not needed I don't think, but it's my habit regardless) ETA: kept crashing when I tried to add photos....will do later.

I still oil my scalp and I wash my hair almost every day, it's my habit too and It makes me feel better, I also add a bit of oil to my hair to give it a bit more shine. I haven't had a problem with build up so I guess it's okay

fluffyforever

Here is a mixed review. So I tried this method on my mom last night, expecting similar results since we have the same dry hair with no obvious curl pattern. It didn't produce the same results after 1 wash like it did with me. I could tell that she looked very disappointed since she was expecting some miracle that I was promising. This morning, she said her hair still feels hard like usual and the only difference is her twa isn't compacted against her scalp, but feels more stretched, which she likes. Keep in mind her twa is only 1 inch long. After talking with her, I found out she regularly uses a sulfate shampoo, follows-up with a silicone/protein conditioner, and seals with a thick butter, all which she did that morning before I visited her.

I told my mom to stop using her shampoo, conditioner, and butter. I'm going to try the routine again on her and use a clarifying shampoo first to see if maybe silicones and excess protein are blocking the moisture. The baking soda/conditioner may not be strong enough to remove all of that.

Positive review: I did the routine again yesterday on myself and had another consistently good outcome. I notice that my hair becomes wet more easily just with a mist of water whereas before it would take a good soaking. My strands are very smooth when I run my fingers up and down the hair shaft, which is not common for my hair. My wash and go, which looks like a big coily/curly fro and not hanging well-defined coils, has movement, blows in the wind, and falls back into place. That was a cool experience.

faithVA

Here is a mixed review. So I tried this method on my mom last night, expecting similar results since we have the same dry hair with no obvious curl pattern. It didn't produce the same results after 1 wash like it did with me. I could tell that she looked very disappointed since she was expecting some miracle that I was promising. This morning, she said her hair still feels hard like usual and the only difference is her twa isn't compacted against her scalp, but feels more stretched, which she likes. Keep in mind her twa is only 1 inch long. After talking with her, I found out she regularly uses a sulfate shampoo, follows-up with a silicone/protein conditioner, and seals with a thick butter, all which she did that morning before I visited her.

I told my mom to stop using her shampoo, conditioner, and butter. I'm going to try the routine again on her and use a clarifying shampoo first to see if maybe silicones and excess protein are blocking the moisture. The baking soda/conditioner may not be strong enough to remove all of that.

Positive review: I did the routine again yesterday on myself and had another consistently good outcome. I notice that my hair becomes wet more easily just with a mist of water whereas before it would take a good soaking. My strands are very smooth when I run my fingers up and down the hair shaft, which is not common for my hair. My wash and go, which looks like a big coily/curly fro and not hanging well-defined coils, has movement, blows in the wind, and falls back into place. That was a cool experience.

Its the muds job to remove the silicones and toxins from her hair. It may take several washes before its done.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Today was a VERY bad wash day. At the last minute I had decided to stray from my usual conditioner and re-try Deva-Curl conditioner for my overnight DC. What a disaster! It left me with frizz and tangles. I then used my clay, and even though it helped reduce the frizz, I still had tangles. And because I was frustrated, I wasn't as gentle as I should have been. I plan on doing MHM maybe tomorrow or on Tuesday with my usual conditioner. Thank goodness I took extended breaks in between doing my hair, cause I think I would have been bald the way I mistreated it.

If I do the MHM tomorrow, I think I'll do a WnG. These twistouts take me too long to do; unless I'm refreshing my old twistouts, then it doesn't take me too long. We'll see:spinning:

intellectualuva

So...this clay has removed probably 15 years of dyeing my hair black. Lol.

I haven't seen my natural color in years. Lol Hair felt amazing immediately after the Cherry Lola method, but my little spirals aren't nearly as purdy and shiny as they were with my very first MHM application. I hate my natural hair color and I'm sure it's part of the reason for my disappointment. I also sat under the dryer so I wasnt dripping and I wonder if that zapped some of my luster. First time I did 100% air dry, last two times used the Pibbs.

I do see improvements overall. My hair gets wetter easier and I see my coils much clearer wet or dry. I'm going to dye my hair and see what kind of results i get without clay. Lol. Im hoping i dont need it with every wash....ill find out for sure in 2 days.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140921_181343.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140921_181343.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

ResultsMayVary

Really considering trying this method but there is one thing I am confused on, I didn't see a list for DCs or rinse out conditioners. Do you co-wash and DC with the leave in conditioner?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I decided I like pink clay more than rhassoul. Rhasshoil is cleansing while pink adds more softness and moisture and definition.

Unfortunately, pink is messssssy and stains EVERYTHING. Wonder if they might mix well.

myfaithrising

Really considering trying this method but there is one thing I am confused on, I didn't see a list for DCs or rinse out conditioners. Do you co-wash and DC with the leave in conditioner?
There is a list of "approved" conditioners, and you can choose whichever of these you like. You can certainly use the same approved conditioner for all three steps or you can pick separate conditioners for each step. I like the Tresemme for the clarification step, Jessicurl deep conditioner for the dc and then either the Tresemme again or kckt for my leave in. Some folks use the kckt for all three steps, whatever agrees with your hair.