Jamila for Hair vs BAQ Jamila Direct from Pakistan

Cayenne0622

Good luck ladies!! I'm so excited for you! ATLJJ - is such a coordinator. Go girl! I wanted to get in on this but I found out from a wonderful lady that the Indian store around the corner from my house has Jamila there. Whoo hoo!!

Keep us posted on your orders go and how good the products are.:)

Kurlee

K, so let me get this straight? There ar etwo types of Jamila the foil one is BAQ and the plastic one is hair quality??? Is one better than the other, and the hair quality one, is that the "bad henna" everyone is supposed to stay away from??

TIA

Cichelle

karamel11 said:
K, so let me get this straight? There ar etwo types of Jamila the foil one is BAQ and the plastic one is hair quality??? Is one better than the other, and the hair quality one, is that the "bad henna" everyone is supposed to stay away from??

TIA

No, the hair quality one is not compound henna. I don't see why it wouldn't be okay for hair.

AtlantaJJ

Cichelle said:
No, the hair quality one is not compound henna. I don't see why it wouldn't be okay for hair.
You are exactly right, the difference is that the henna is not from the most current crop, and is has less of a dye content and is not as finely sifted.

I just used the hair quality last night and it was fine, makes me almost wonder what's all the fuss (I caused) is about. :look: Jamila is such a good brand that their hair quality henna is just as good as some companies BAQ.

I also confirmed with hennaforhair.com that the difference is the dye content and the freshness of the crop. Jamila would never have any damaging compounds or any of that other bad stuff that would damage your hair in it.

PatTodd

AtlantaJJ said:
The henna for hair is not harmful at all, it's just not BAQ, not sifted and not as potent in the dye.

Darn it....I ordered the wrong stuff! I don't plan on using it for color though.
Are you saying it's still okay to use on relaxed hair...not the compound stuff that will *kill* your hair?????????????

AtlantaJJ

PatTodd said:
Darn it....I ordered the wrong stuff! I don't plan on using it for color though.
Are you saying it's still okay to use on relaxed hair...not the compound stuff that will *kill* your hair?????????????

It's okay, it's still good henna, just not their freshest most potent dye batch. You aren't using it for the color that should be fine for you.

Lavendar

Now you TELL me!!! It just so happens I ordered both kind at the same time. It was taking the first batch so long, I ordered a second. It never dawned on me to look and see if they were the same. The picture is, but one is wrapped in cellophane and the other foil with a dated sticker on the bottom. The thing is...I can tell a huge difference in the two. The hair quality kind makes my hair really stiff and hard feeling for the first several days, so I have to wash and condition more often. I hate to do that cause I had a bad experience conditioning too often in the past. The BAQ, on the other hand, makes my hair feel thick and lush...very strong but not hard at all. I wish I had known this. I could have possibly blown off henna because of not having a very good first experience with it. Luckily, some others had already said they experienced the same thing and said that hard feeling wears off over time and use of henna. So I figured that was normal and decided to stick it out. It was just by luck I decided to try a foil package the second time. The difference was remarkable, but I just thought that was cause I kept using it. Now I know!!! Also the cellophane package made my hair orange and the foil package made it a deep red.

AKA-Tude

You ladies are the best!

First oils, then MN, now henna!

But I & my hair love ya'll fro all the knowledge and information!

I had NO idea there was so much difference in the hair vs. BAQ!

If I weren't so far away, I'd get in on the order, too.

But I think I'm gonna try to find the ppl in Pakistan and order from here.

Knowledge is power!!!

Synthia

Lavendar said:
Now you TELL me!!! It just so happens I ordered both kind at the same time. It was taking the first batch so long, I ordered a second. It never dawned on me to look and see if they were the same. The picture is, but one is wrapped in cellophane and the other foil with a dated sticker on the bottom. The thing is...I can tell a huge difference in the two. The hair quality kind makes my hair really stiff and hard feeling for the first several days, so I have to wash and condition more often. I hate to do that cause I had a bad experience conditioning too often in the past. The BAQ, on the other hand, makes my hair feel thick and lush...very strong but not hard at all. I wish I had known this. I could have possibly blown off henna because of not having a very good first experience with it. Luckily, some others had already said they experienced the same thing and said that hard feeling wears off over time and use of henna. So I figured that was normal and decided to stick it out. It was just by luck I decided to try a foil package the second time. The difference was remarkable, but I just thought that was cause I kept using it. Now I know!!! Also the cellophane package made my hair orange and the foil package made it a deep red.

Wow. Those differences are damned good to know!

AtlantaJJ

Lavendar said:
Do Lavendar you have fine hair??, just curious

I am so glad you posted your experiences with the the differences between the two. I have several boxes of the HQ one, and my hair is feeling kind of dry and crunchy like, although I can see a difference and an imporvement in my hair since I started hennaing. I just don't like the dry hair problem, it's a maintenance problem like you said.

I've never tried the BAQ type, I just have not been able to find it locally. I am tempted to order from one of these rip off web sites just get a box to see the difference for my self. What am I going to do with the 8 boxes of HQ henna??:confused: I feel like such a dope for going out and buying all of those. <sigh> :ohwell: well I'm glad I could be helpful to someone and prevent them from making this mistake in the future. I just got so put off by the high prices on the henna web sites.

:cry: I want good henna :burn:

AtlantaJJ

M J said:
You ladies are the best!

First oils, then MN, now henna!

But I & my hair love ya'll fro all the knowledge and information!

I had NO idea there was so much difference in the hair vs. BAQ!

If I weren't so far away, I'd get in on the order, too.

But I think I'm gonna try to find the ppl in Pakistan and order from here.

Knowledge is power!!!

Yeah girl, if I can help a few people from making the mistake, I don't feel like such a complete DOPE, just a little dope...hehehe!:lol: Now what to do with this dry head, and I'm not going to the store to buy another dag gone thing!!! I have NTM - I haven't tried it. I'm giving Elasta QP DR-11 away...perhaps it's not a jacked up conditoner, my hair is just jacked up from dry henna....:look:

alexstin

Lavendar said:

See, I thought I was imagining things. I used the hair quality Jamila for the first time last week. Prior to that I'd been using the BAQ regular henna from hennaforhair.com and FNWL. My hair didn't feel as thick last week after using the Jamila but I thought it was in my head. Now I know it wasn't.

Lavendar

AtlantaJJ said:
Do Lavendar you have fine hair??, just curious

I am so glad you posted your experiences with the the differences between the two. I have several boxes of the HQ one, and my hair is feeling kind of dry and crunchy like, although I can see a difference and an imporvement in my hair since I started hennaing. I just don't like the dry hair problem, it's a maintenance problem like you said.

:cry: I want good henna :burn:

Boy, do I. I have sliced off the tip of a fingernail with my durn hair!:lol: I have to be really particular about overconditioning and moisture with my hair because it will turn to mush in a minute, but it can also be very dry like my skin. How's that for a combination. Your hair is more than likely dry from the henna. Don't get me wrong now, the HQ does really strengthen the hair as henna should, but the dry, crunchy, (and for me extremely tangly) thing takes a lot of patience to get past. The Elasta DPR-11 has been great for my hair. I mix it with some honey, Lustrasilk shea butter & mango, EVOO, and a tiny bit of Elucence MB. I use that as a pre-poo on dry hair and sit with the heat cap on my head for at least and hour. When I rinse that out, I then put on some Porosity Control and let that sit for about 15 minutes. That regimen has been the dry-curing savior for me. And to lessen the tangles (cause I'll never not have any), I can never hang my head over the sink and rinse. I love to do that cause it's quick and easy and I have a great spray nozzle on my kitchen sink, but it will take me at least an hour and a big ball of hair to detangle. :(

AtlantaJJ

Lavendar said:
I have to be really particular about overconditioning and moisture with my hair because it will turn to mush in a minute, but it can also be very dry like my skin. How's that for a combination.

The Elasta DPR-11 has been great for my hair. I mix it with some honey, Lustrasilk shea butter & mango, EVOO, and a tiny bit of Elucence MB. I use that as a pre-poo on dry hair and sit with the heat cap on my head for at least and hour. When I rinse that out, I then put on some Porosity Control and let that sit for about 15 minutes. That regimen has been the dry-curing savior for me.

OH dern, you sound like my hair twin! I was about to throw my Elasta DPR-11 in the trash! I'm thinking what on earth is everyone so in love with this stuff for, my hair is dry as a bone....

PJ that I am, I have every single product you mentioned up there! LOLOL
But it seems to me that I shouldn't have to use that many products to get my hair right! I was just so disappointed today after my attempt to air dry with a bevy of products slathered on left me dull and dry. My hair is strong though...LOL what a weird combo.

I will definately give the Prosity Control a try, that has worked wonders in the past. Alma oil pre-poos are good to...I think I'll do that and a good con wash and call it a day.

Thanks for your tips and pointers and enlightenment today!! You get a Gold LHCF Help a Sista Girl Out Star!!

:)

Lavendar

AtlantaJJ said:
Thanks for your tips and pointers and enlightenment today!! You get a Gold LHCF Help a Sista Girl Out Star!!

:)

:Blush2: Oh gosh, thanks JJ! I'm gonna wear my gold star all day!:lol: Really, I'm just thankful that I can finally contribute and have something pertinent to say. I have been helped by so many on this site, including you, that I wouldn't know where to begin my thank-yous. It's just such a Blessing to have a group of sistah-friends with whom we can just talk to about taking care of ourselves. Lord knows we take care of everyone else! :rosebud:

PatTodd

AtlantaJJ, maybe you could use your HQ henna for henna glossing as someone suggested?

I have fine hair like Lavendar, and I don't want to deal with the issues she had, so I think I am going to re-order some BAQ henna and use the two boxes of HQ I have for glossing.

AtlantaJJ

PatTodd said:
AtlantaJJ, maybe you could use your HQ henna for henna glossing as someone suggested?

I have fine hair like Lavendar, and I don't want to deal with the issues she had, so I think I am going to re-order some BAQ henna and use the two boxes of HQ I have for glossing.

Brilliant Idea!!!!:clap: Thanks I will do that.

AtlantaJJ

Lavendar said:
:Blush2: Oh gosh, thanks JJ! I'm gonna wear my gold star all day!:lol: Really, I'm just thankful that I can finally contribute and have something pertinent to say. I have been helped by so many on this site, including you, that I wouldn't know where to begin my thank-yous. It's just such a Blessing to have a group of sistah-friends with whom we can just talk to about taking care of ourselves. Lord knows we take care of everyone else! :rosebud:

I know <snif> I love this place too! I love sharing and receiving knowledge here. The glossing is not a bad idea at all too, but it's BAQ for me here on out!

*Frisky*

Lavendar said:

I was under the impression that the hair quality henna was bad for your hair.....so Jamila makes both kinds?

JazzyDez

AtlantaJJ said:
You are exactly right, the difference is that the henna is not from the most current crop, and is has less of a dye content and is not as finely sifted.

I just used the hair quality last night and it was fine, makes me almost wonder what's all the fuss (I caused) is about. :look: Jamila is such a good brand that their hair quality henna is just as good as some companies BAQ.

I also confirmed with hennaforhair.com that the difference is the dye content and the freshness of the crop. Jamila would never have any damaging compounds or any of that other bad stuff that would damage your hair in it.

THANK GOODNESS!!! I almost started to cry when I started reading the thread! I thought I had just used the BAD henna:eek:. I used the Jamila brand from a local indian store but was in a plastic package because I had been too anxious to wait for my henna from hennaforhair to arrive. It did make my hair kind of hard but I didnt know if it was because I lightly pooed the henna out and only used a leave-in with no DC or if it was the henna itself. I just did the henna last night and I will DC tonight. I want in on the direct from Pakistan order too.

AtlantaJJ

JazzyDez said:
THANK GOODNESS!!! I almost started to cry when I started reading the thread! I thought I had just used the BAD henna:eek:. I used the Jamila brand from a local indian store but was in a plastic package because I had been too anxious to wait for my henna from hennaforhair to arrive. It did make my hair kind of hard but I didnt know if it was because I lightly pooed the henna out and only used a leave-in with no DC or if it was the henna itself. I just did the henna last night and I will DC tonight. I want in on the direct from Pakistan order too.

To Update, HQ henna will not damage your hair, and does not have compounds or any of that bad stuff but it will make your hair dryer than the BAQ. I got the great color deposit, I just noticed that my hair is dry. It could also be that and the combo of my no-lye relaxer. I just discovered that my hair does not like anything that might dry it out. So I'm going BAQ from now on!!