Protein fillers

outspokenwallflower

I *really* like this-- I had close to none hairs come out and I feel like the only reason any came out at all is because I had washed my hair about 3 different times yesterday...long story. Anywhoo, this definitely made my hair strong, protected it, and I'm lovin the way my hair feels today despite all of my abuse (sorry hair!!!) Thumbs up, from me.

yodie

Are any type 4 naturals using this?
If so, how do you use it?

I'm thinking of adding the filler to a spray bottle, diluted with water. I'll wet my hair, spritz with the filler and then add a moisturizing leave in condish on top.

Does this have to be rinsed out?

PrincessKia

Just wondering if any naturals are using this?
I bought it and diluted it with water. I think in about a week when I wash my hair, I just flatironed and wanted it to last for 2 weeks, I will try it out.

RossBoss

I'm sitting under the dryer with this on my hair now. I just washed my hair, then used my Queen Helene deep conditioner mixed with Jamaican Castor Oil then I put this protein filler on my hair straight from the bottle. I have never had breakage issues but my hair is very strong but that could also be from the oils that I use. I am going to use this on my next touch up to see how it goes.

yodie

Just passed this up at the BSS yesterday. I've been using store brand gelatin, adding it to hot water and spritzing my hair. Has worked very well!! Never really understood that my hair needed protein. Always been a moisture junky. Oh, msa gave me the gelatin idea. Thanks girl!! I think I'll add this to my list because of the versatility.

RossBoss

It just occurred to me that my hair feels stronger when I use an egg, mayo and olive oil combo than it does when I use this protein filler. I guess this protein filler is a light protein?? I think I will just use this when I go in to the salon for my touch ups.

krissyprissy

I used protein filler mixed with my semi-color rinse yesterday. My hair was stronger and I noticed less breakage too. Also when I single braid my hair under my half wig, the braid was coming undone at the ends and it usually doesn't do that, so it must be the extra protein. I will continue to use this mixed with other things too such as my conditioners because my hair has been feeling kinda weak before the treatment. I hope this helps rebuild my hair.

yodie

Does anyone know if this thickens the strand or coats it?
My hair strand varies in thickness. I'm just wondering if this will even out the thickness/coat it.

Thanks

yodie

Bumping...
Anymore experiences with this?
I applied to my hair before my rinse. My color definitely took this time and my hair feels stronger. I'll continue to use this as a protein treatment.

LovinLocks

For the past year I've been adding a capful of neutral protein filler to my relaxer along with a couple of tablespoons of almond oil and my hair has been in the best condition ever. I will be doing this from now on. I can't remember who recommended this but another poster on the board recommended it.

I've never seen nor heard of this "protein filling" stuff until just now. It sounds intriguing. So, Sally's is where I can find it. Just having bleached my hair I'll bet it would LOVE LOVE such a thing.

I'll keep reading on. You ladies are so the bomb with how you share and educate.

Namaste,

LL

LovinLocks

*ears perk up* (Yeah, I'm a bandwagon jumping PJ--what of it? :lachen:)

Hi there,

What the heck is "Izmir" like? I am so intrigued.

LL

Okay, this topic has me looking so here is what I found:
What Is Protein Hair Filler?

As a way to protect your hair against damage, you can use a protein filler treatment. Protein hair fillers have the ability to repair damaged bonds found within your hair follicles. Also, protein hair fillers use ingredients to seal in color after you have dyed your hair.

Recommendations
1. Manufacturers of protein fillers recommend that you apply the treatment immediately before you apply color onto the hair. Protein fillers can also be used before chemical treatments, such as perms and body waves. You can also use it following the coloring or chemical processing to repair any damage that may have been done during the process.
Brands
2. You can find protein hair fillers from companies, such as Colorful Professional, Herbal Extracts Plus and Nexxus. Protein hair fillers are usually moderately priced and you can find 8 oz. bottles for less than $10. You can buy protein hair fillers from hair supply stores as well as online retailers. Sally Beauty Supply sells several brands of protein hair fillers.
Usage
3. Follow the directions on the packaging of the protein hair filler. In most cases, you will apply a small dollop on your hand and work it through your hair from the roots to the ends. It does not need to be rinsed out of your hair before coloring or chemical processing. Alternatively, you can add many protein fillers to the hair dye mixture to enhance how well the chemicals bond to the hair.
Tips
4. Many protein hair fillers can also be used as a deep conditioning treatment. After you shampoo, dilute the protein filler with water. Use two parts of the filler and one part water for the mixture. Apply the mixture and allow it to sit in your hair for two to five minutes before rinsing. For easier application, transfer the protein hair filler to a spray bottle.
Warning
5. Don't add too much of the protein hair filler directly to the dye. Use a very small amount, or the mixture will come out runny and become messy to apply. Also, make sure you choose the protein hair filler appropriate for your hair color. Although some brands are neutral, others are specific to the hair color be used during the treatment.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5139154_protein-hair-filler.html

Re: Question about using protein filler.
I found this blog on the net - I think its worth reading...

Whether you are a compulsive hair dyer like me or you just bleached your hair once and now are trying to dye it back to a darker color, you may find that your hair has reached a point that it just won't hold color anymore. Even if you put a nice dark hair dye
over the top of your hair within no time it will wash out to a faded mousy brown color that just isn't very pretty. If this sounds like you it is likely that you have damaged your hair shaft so that the color molecules just wash away rather than getting trapped inside.

Head down to your local beauty supply store and pick up something called protein filler. They sell protein fillers in various shades like black, red and brown, but personally I always just choose to buy neutral protein filler, which is clear. A large sized bottle of neutral protein filler costs around $5.00 and will make all the difference in the world with how your dye job comes out.

Next, pick up a box of hair dye in the color you want for you hair. Get everything ready like you are going to dye your hair like normal. Start by getting your hair damp and then saturate it with the protein filler. Make sure to hit all of your strands and not miss any spots in the back. Once you have the protein filler on your hair you will need to let it set for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes you are ready to dye your hair. DO NOT rinse the protein filler out of your hair before dying it. Just apply the hair dye like normal right over the top of the protein filler and follow the timing instructions on the box of hair dye for how long to leave it in. When the time is up rinse your hair thoroughly and condition it using the conditioner that came with your hair dye.

Protein filler works to help seal the color into your hair shaft so it will last longer. Not only that, but it helps the color go on more evenly so you don't have spots that are darker or lighter and it helps to repair the damage to your hair at the same time. What more could you want?

While your hair dye may not last as long as if you had applied it to virgin hair, it will last much longer than it would without using the protein filler and can help make it possible to go from a very light color to a very dark color easily. Apply any leftover protein filler to your hair periodically to help condition your hair and keep it in great shape. All in all it is an excellent product and well worth buying for great hair dying results.

http://www.makeuptalk.com/f13/question-about-using-protein-filler-88383.html

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

i'm going to look for this in the hair color section of the bss, i don't feel like ordering saa and want to add this to my condish for when i start co-washing so i don't get moisture or potein overload and have a perfect balance.

southerncitygirl

i'm going to look for this in the hair color section of the bss, i don't feel like ordering saa and want to add this to my condish for when i start co-washing so i don't get moisture or potein overload and have a perfect balance.

where can i purchase this in nyc...there's no sally's nearby and some bss don't carry even though they know what i'm talking about.

bumping........................................

Bumping this up

Is anyone still using this? My friend is getting me this from the US and i would like to know if anyone is adding it to their spray bottles. I'm thinking it might be great to use in creating a leave-in that has both moisturizing and protein benefits.

At first, i was just thinking of diluting it with rose water and a bit of glycerin

But now, i'm thinking maybe i should try rose water, a vial of BIOLAGE cera repair and a moisturizing conditioner. I'm thinking something from HERBAL ESSENCE, BIOLAGE, REDKEN, ORGANIX, JOICO, DE LORENZO or BED HEAD TIGI moisture maniac conditioner as these are readily available in Australia.

OR, i could just add some of it to my AFRICAN ROYALE BRX braid spray

Any ideas guys?

I'm currently in a weave so i'm trying to get as much information as i can before i take it down. BTW, i usually seal my hair with grapeseed or sunflower oil after moisturizing with BEE MINE luscious

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
There is a Sallys in Queens that is where I go for all my stuff. I purchase 2 or 3 at a time.

Neutral protein filler once diluted goes badly fairly quickly I only add some to my relaxer and I will also now be using it as a harder protein undiluted on my ends once I reach my first goal.

I may try it out sooner than that mixed in with my Ion effective care treatment soon. oh boy I hope my hair likes it.

Lissa0821

I faithfully add this to my relaxers for my touchup. I like the outcome so much better than adding oil to the relaxer.

winona

morehairplease

I know you didnt ask me but I have ordered from them once before with absolutely no problems. I received my items quickly and the ordered was accurate.

HTH

PJaye

Bumping this up

Is anyone still using this? My friend is getting me this from the US and i would like to know if anyone is adding it to their spray bottles. I'm thinking it might be great to use in creating a leave-in that has both moisturizing and protein benefits.

At first, i was just thinking of diluting it with rose water and a bit of glycerin

But now, i'm thinking maybe i should try rose water, a vial of BIOLAGE cera repair and a moisturizing conditioner. I'm thinking something from HERBAL ESSENCE, BIOLAGE, REDKEN, ORGANIX, JOICO, DE LORENZO or BED HEAD TIGI moisture maniac conditioner as these are readily available in Australia.

OR, i could just add some of it to my AFRICAN ROYALE BRX braid spray

Any ideas guys?

I'm currently in a weave so i'm trying to get as much information as i can before i take it down. BTW, i usually seal my hair with grapeseed or sunflower oil after moisturizing with BEE MINE luscious

Thanks in advance :)

I use the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler as a staple protein treatment in my routine, and it has made my hair strong and resilient without the roughness that is usually associated with heavier proteins.

Be careful with using it too frequently because, despite the nice feeling it produces, it can and will cause protein overload.:yep:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I use the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler as a staple protein treatment in my routine, and it has made my hair strong and resilient without the roughness that is usually associated with heavier proteins.

Be careful with using it too frequently because, despite the nice feeling it produces, it can and will cause protein overload.:yep:

PJaye

How often do you use it?

i just added a cap full some to my conditioner yesterday and I really like it. I planned on doing it 1x a month

Destiny9109

I'm going to start using this again. It's much less messier and smelly than Aphogee 2 step. My hair likes keratin protein the most.

cocoagirl

how are people using this as a leave in? Are you using in straight or mixing it with your leave in conditioner and then applying? Is there any buildup with this and can it be used weekly as a leave in? Is this considered a medium or hard protein?