How Do You Wash Your Hair in Sections or Plaits?

Aggie

I swear by this method, I am 12 months post, and washing in sections has allowed me to hang onto my relaxed ends, avoid splits, and my "detangling" time is around 5-10 minutes for my entire head.

I usually wear my hair straight so pre-wash it is already detangled. I part my hair down the middle of my head (hairline to nape), and then further divided those halves into 3 sections each. This leaves me with 6 sections. I have experimented with smaller sections, but 6 seems to be the magic number to allow me to adequately get to my scalp, smaller braids tend to be too tight for this.

I leave my braids in for the entire washing process, prepoo, shampoo and deep condition. This is key! My hair never ever gets a chance to tangle through the entire process, so combing at the end is so easy! I was skeptical at first about DC'ing in braids, I wasn't convinced that the product would thoroughly coat my strands, but it works! I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle to get down near the roots, and I always DC with a hooded dryer so this may help the product to adequately reach the inner strands.

In the end because my hair never had a chance to tangle, "detangling" is as simple as running the comb through each section to get rid of any minor tangling, and then I run my knock-off denman through to remove any shed hair. It takes 5-8 minutes, at the most 10 if I had been wearing a textured style the previous week.

I have been using this method for months now and it really works well. I never have the breakage I used to have before starting this regimen. I first learn about this method of washing, conditioning and detangling from Chicoro's fotki album. I never looked back after that.

supermodelsonya

I wash my hair in braids. i don't do shampoos but I pre-poo, co-wash and now also tea rinse. I don't undo the braids in between and my hair is so soft and DETANGLED! :drunk:
I was surprised this AM when I looked down and saw the time....I was so fast today! And I wash my hair in a sink so it doesn't get rushed in a shower!

See this is what I did this morning. I'm giving my weaves a rest but I'm in the MN and Hide Your Hair Challenge so I'm trying to rock the half wigs while the rest of my hair is cornrowed up. I don't want to keep taking my hair down because I'm trying to avoid manipulation.

We'll see if I get the soft results like you did. :lick:

BlackDiamond21

I have been doing the braid into four sections, wash with shampoo 2x, rinse, then unbraid to apply DC, rebraid and then sit w/ DC for 10-15mins, unbraid as you rinse and detangle.

I notice the closer I get to time for me to relax the more my hair sheds. So the last wash, was so much hair - UGH!

Now I am going to try the method of not unbraiding until I am all done. Thanks ladies!!! :grin:

Barbara

Princess
Whenever I wash my hair, I braid my hair into eight braids. This keeps it from knotting and tangling, and it makes it easy to detangle.