How do you feel about white women being a part of the natural hair community?

summertimewine

*sips tea*
I'm sorry but white people have BEEN having a hair movement since they were born. 90% of main characters on TV represent white hair, y'all got hundreds of white actors winning every award from the oscars to BET and yet we (black people) only have 12 academy award winners and 13 oscar winners. White people occupy the most CEO positions and are the most viewed in a good light and have representation literally EVERYWHERE. You can miss me when you want to include white people the small spaces where black people can talk safely and not have to deal with racism amongst other things.

White people were the ones telling us our hair was nappy, out of control, and ghetto!

I don't understand those that feel sympathy, y'all know white people will steal black culture but then turn around and use their white privilege the MOMENT it helps them out, even if that means stepping on our backs.

GoldenRule

For clarification, the AA ladies were not welcome on LHC? This board was created in 2002. According to their copyright information, LHC was created in 2003 (2003 - 2013 The Beauty Bottle, LLC and Contributors). That's a year after this board.

Please advise! TIA

No, we were in existence prior to 2002. We had a major upgrade in 2002 which led to the current board we use today but LHCF had a board prior to that for at least a year which we quickly outgrew. There surely must be an original member or two still around.

And no, they didn't exactly say GET OUT but some comments were made that left one feeling some kinda way. I don't really remember it as Long Hair Community. I thought it was Long Hair FORUM but I may be wrong on that, it's been a long time. The name was very VERY similar to ours LHC/LHCF...so yeah, that may have been them.

ETA: I found an olddddd thread. It's from 10/19/02 which was one of our 1st days in our current form but by reading it, you can see we were somewhere else (as LHCF) first. Also it looks like we came over originally from "long hair lovers" LHL not LHC. They created a "MultiCultural" sub-forum for us to keep us out of the fray and the "trolling" there is also referenced.

Here's a link. Hope it works:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=36

Last edited:

BostonMaria

Boo hoo!

there usually is some negativity whenever Curly Nikki adds an article about a WW on her blog. This isn't the first time this has happened. CN doesn't own the blog anymore, she sold it to NaturallyCurly.com (owned by 2 WW) and that's probably why they wanted to highlight one of their own. The day that they make that blog into some kind of one size fits all kumbaya for WW... that blog will probably lose most of its members.

Anyway I started out over at NaturallyCurly.com in 2006 and the ladies there helped me transition. I was always in the 3C and 4A&B forums and never ventured into the other forums where the "other" ladies were at. From what I was told the off topic forums would sometimes get racist remarks. In 2008 I eventually just decided to stay here because it feels more safe (altho you guys are cray cray too LOL).

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
What kills me with that response is she posted legitimate concerns people have, ignored them and came to the same conclusion, like "oh that's cute but ANYWAY... "

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
OT:

I happen to see an Article regarding the BET Awards and the press was dissing Nikki Minaj. (I probably spelled her name wrong).

But I understood perfectly why Ms. Minaj did what she did and said what she said at the BET Awards about that White Girl (wannabe rapper)

Because they try to come in on everything we have and try to take over.

Britt

I kind of agree. Why can't we just have something of our own? The second we develop something great in our community, it doesn't take very long before it's no longer ours. Our own culture isn't even respected. Other people always get credit for the things we create. And we willing let it happen.

Non-blacks have no problem excluding us, so why shouldn't we be exclusive as well? The whole natural movement in the grand scheme of things isn't such a big deal. But it just goes to show how inclusive we are as a race. We go out our way to accept everyone when no one bats an eye to accept us.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !

tinycoils

You can keep you individuality and not be exclusive. I don't believe we need to be inclusive to our detriment, just find a nice balance. I have been on the LHC forum recently and surprisingly they discuss a lot of the same things we discuss here.

Two wrongs don't make a right and we should not let someone else's bad behavior influence how we act.

Divine.

I'll give credit, where credit is due: The blog was written eloquently.

However, I still agree with the article in the OP. It's something about when a white woman says she has struggled that really bothers me. Especially when in the same breath said white woman admits she has privilege in this society :yawn: I'm all about everyone getting along, but it's not about creating division. It's about women of color banding together to build a movement to impact and encourage one another.

The natural hair movement has taken such a sharp turn over the recent years. We can't even call it a "black movement" anymore. Women of with spiral curls have become the standard of natural hair, leaving women with tighter textures fighting to fit back into something that was essentially inspired by them. IMO, it's no wonder this woman felt inclined to include herself. We're embracing every other head of curls so why not hers?

Curl Nikki's blog is prime example of us giving our ownership away. We don't even take pride in the platforms we build up anymore. I hate to sound so pro-black, but I'm all about the advancement of my people. I will never be able to relate to a white woman, nor will she ever be able to relate to me no matter how textured her hair looks. I relate to women who look like me and have undergone the same struggles.

Divine.

You can keep you individuality and not be exclusive. I don't believe we need to be inclusive to our detriment, just find a nice balance. I have been on the LHC forum recently and surprisingly they discuss a lot of the same things we discuss here.

Two wrongs don't make a right and we should not let someone else's bad behavior influence how we act.

IMO, we have been very inclusive. Latinos and those of mixed race have been openly accepted within the natural hair community.

nubiangoddess3

However, I still agree with the article in the OP. It's something about when a white woman says she has struggled that really bothers me. Especially when in the same breath said white woman admits she has privilege in this society :yawn: I'm all about everyone getting along, but it's not about creating division. It's about women of color banding together to build a movement to impact and encourage one another.

The natural hair movement has taken such a sharp turn over the recent years. We can't even call it a "black movement" anymore. Women of with spiral curls have become the standard of natural hair, leaving women with tighter textures fighting to fit back into something that was essentially inspired by them. IMO, it's no wonder this woman felt inclined to include herself. We're embracing every other head of curls so why not hers?

Curl Nikki's blog is prime example of us giving our ownership away. We don't even take pride in the platforms we build up anymore. I hate to sound so pro-black, but I'm all about the advancement of my people. I will never be able to relate to a white woman, nor will she ever be able to relate to me no matter how textured her hair looks. I relate to women who look like me and have undergone the same struggles.

I totally agree, I saw curly head white women being included in the natural hair movement a while back when the only hair type getting big endorsement were 3's. Why are ppl mad now and up in arms, when tighter coiled naturals were complaining ppl told them to stop whining. Now the 3's will be replace by curly head white, Latinos and mixed race women.

IMO, we have been very inclusive. Latinos and those of mixed race have been openly accepted within the natural hair community.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
The world is THEIR community. I don't dislike white people (or bi-racial) but we need our own thing. Where we can feel safe. Chat freely. I don't understand why they always need to be a part of what we're doing. When the roles were reversed they were no so tolerant on their message boards. Now, we have to include them? What else do they want? Bye Felicity.

cami88

Nope. No. Negative, and hayle no. Sarah's response highlights precisely why she is not welcome to the club.

I would tell her to visit one of the myriad of blogs and websites dedicated to white women's hair.

I have never frequented CurlyNikki but apparently the whole site is on some bull$hit.

Sent from my galaxy s4 using LHCF

Sosa

Don't apologize for sounding pro-black. Until the playing field is leveled in all areas, I will always be for the advancement of our people.
Integration is not always the best way to go. But I won't go off topic.

Let us have this natural movement. It's still growing, products and tools are catering to us and we have been lagging behind. "For us by us" will lead us to 'buy us' more. The white folks may come in with more voice and resources, out producing us at lower costs, at the same time making the products more accommodating to "all" races :eyeroll: . Soon they will realize who has more buying power, gradually change products accordingly...and back to square one we go. Yeah :look:

NaturallyATLPCH

For those of you not comfortable with your natural hair, just put it in a braid or bun. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I thought the whole thing was hilarious and insulting at the same time. I'm sorry, I enjoy having a place exclusively for me to share my journey as a woman of color. Your struggle isn't like mine at ALL.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

Please do tell what is "eloquent about her blog post. Please do tell.

If anything it isn't HER response that is eloquent, its the people who she is responding to that wrote eloquent, thoughtful critiques about why she shouldn't have submitted to be a part of CurlyNikki in the first place.

Divine.

Please do tell what is "eloquent about her blog post. Please do tell.

If anything it isn't HER response that is eloquent, its the people who she is responding to that wrote eloquent, thoughtful critiques about why she shouldn't have submitted to be a part of CurlyNikki in the first place.

I am a content writer and editor, so I'm looking at this blog from that perspective. I think she expressed her ideas well, and it was written nicely (grammar wise). That's about it lol

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^The content of what she said made her seem very obtuse. So she went and saw a blog interview post with "questions that didn't pertain," then she went on the blog and saw it was mostly African Americans, but nothing in the language of the about me section said it was for African Americans. :look: Then you pull a quote from one person saying the natural hair movement has nothing to do with color. Nice try.

ellebelle88

I am a content writer and editor, so I'm looking at this blog from that perspective. I think she expressed her ideas well, and it was written nicely (grammar wise). That's about it lol

Her basic framework was this:

Black women are mad at me. Here's why: (posts 1-10 of people bashing her). It's horrible and awful what Black women and girls go through every day of their lives since birth...BUT I'm white and I went through something horrible once with my hair so I deserve to be on a Black hair site because natural is in the dictionary. Anything that's for Black women is surely for me too. When did they get to have something of their own in this country?

Her complete dismissal and then turning to playing the victim is not eloquent. It's insulting that she even attempted to verbalize her plight as the same as Black girls and women, EVEN after it was clearly spelled out for her. She could just put her hair in one long braid or a bun and magically be accepted again. Not so for Black women.

cami88

Lawd, did yall read the original article on CurlyNikki? The interviewer asked her if she transitioned or big chopped (does she even know what either of those refer to?) And she replied that she's been 'natural' her whole life. :rolleyes:

She's not even one of those white girls who chemically straightened their hair. All she did was start wearing it down instead of in a librarian's bun. I just cannot roll my eyes hard enough.

I kind of want to sign up for Twitter for the sole purpose of clowning her.

Sent from my galaxy s4 using LHCF

Last edited:

ellebelle88

^^The content of what she said made her seem very obtuse. So she went and saw a blog interview post with "questions that didn't pertain," then she went on the blog and saw it was mostly African Americans, but nothing in the language of the about me section said it was for African Americans. :look: Then you pull a quote from one person saying the natural hair movement has nothing to do with color. Nice try.

This! Her actions are the very definition of entitlement and white privilege. The fact that she realized that the questions didn't apply to her but still somehow rationalized that she should be a part of it, because how dare there be a space where she doesn't belong?

Divine.

Her basic framework was this:

Black women are mad at me. Here's why: (posts 1-10 of people bashing her). It's horrible and awful what Black women and girls go through every day of their lives since birth...BUT I'm white and I went through something horrible once with my hair so I deserve to be on a Black hair site because natural is in the dictionary. Anything that's for Black women is surely for me too. When did they get to have something of their own in this country?

Her complete dismissal and then turning to playing the victim is not eloquent. It's insulting that she even attempted to verbalize her plight as the same as Black girls and women, EVEN after it was clearly spelled out for her. She could just put her hair in one long braid or a bun and magically be accepted again. Not so for Black women.

I never said it was. Technically (in terms of writing only), it was written well. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know how else to say she wrote something well without implying that her argument was great. As a writer, I appreciate that she knows how to structure a sentence.

Starbucks

I am fairly new to this, but I really think the points made in the comments were valid.

-There has been no systematic oppression against white women with curly hair. "Embracing your natural" has nothing to do with the way black women embrace their natural hair. The delusion here is real and frightening. When people start telling you that you can't get a job or tell you to use poisonous chemicals to straighten your hair then we can talk, until then respect the black woman's struggle an stop making everything about you.

-She does not know what it feels like to be a woman of African descent living in a hostile world that tells you everyday that your hair is unacceptable, unprofessional and "bad". She doesn't know what is like to be called derogatory names by people just because you wear you hair kinky. She doesn't know what it's like for people to come up to you and tell you that you need to change your hair because you won't get a man. Her "natural" hair is still accepted and mainstream. No one is going to tell her to get a relaxer. No one is going to tell her that her hair is unprofessional for her job.

-Please! Tell me how you big chopped!? Did you finally overcome the struggle of the media, family, friends tell you are ugly nappy head girl and should use that relaxer? Tell me how you never see anyone in the mags, media, runway that looks like you! When was your last relaxer? How long did you take to grow you hair? Do you have pics of the big chop?
Oh...you just put down the straightener for today cause you were too lazy to do it that morning?
Oh..okay.
*unsubs*
Those points are valid and I don't understand why they would be so hard to grasp.

SimJam

They can keep theirs ... leave ours alone.

True everyone's "struggle" is real TO THEM but the "struggle" certainly is not equal