senegalese twists as a protective style

Britt

@Britt, The first set I got I brought hair and had to go back to store to get more, it was quite the inconvenience.. Luckily store was just up the block, couldn't imagine using the different textures of hair as the braiding spot I went to used something different.

2nd set, same spot, just got hair dont their with their hair as it turned out to be same price , or even cheaper... Just got to bargain price, Lol...

Thanks! You went to Aminata right? So it's best to just use their hair? It works out to be the same price?

cutiebe2

Britt I go to Aminata and I bring my own hair. For me, it works out to be cheaper but that could depend on what style you get. I only need to use 2-3 packs of the hair I get. If you go to Aminata you can talk to them and see what hair they use and if you don't like it you can just go buy something else. I have seen several people come in and do that.

Britt

@Britt I go to Aminata and I bring my own hair. For me, it works out to be cheaper but that could depend on what style you get. I only need to use 2-3 packs of the hair I get. If you go to Aminata you can talk to them and see what hair they use and if you don't like it you can just go buy something else. I have seen several people come in and do that.
cutiebe2 Thank you! I didn't even know there's a certain type of hair to use for the senegelese twists. Do you know what they normally use? Is it not good for senegelese twists?

cutiebe2

cutiebe2 Thank you! I didn't even know there's a certain type of hair to use for the senegelese twists. Do you know what they normally use? Is it not good for senegelese twists?

They usually use Kanekalon hair. I like a certain brand of kanekalon so I usually bring that. To me, some of the pictures posted above are called "kinky twist" as they are slightly curly and use more kinky textured hair. My twist usually come out like the pics I have attached with slightly larger parting. The best thing to do is to talk to them, and show a picture of what you want so that you are on the same page. Once you have gone a few times they know what you like. a303f23e62bf914ff85a16216a453420.jpgIMG_0823.jpg

Britt

@Schakiaw

This is a photo of my Havana twists after about 8 weeks. I took them out last week. I'm natural so this texture works best for me. It's Finger Comber hair that I bought and took with me to the braider.

The brownish/red is from my henna treatment.
Oh wow, your twists blend very well with your natural hair.

They usually use Kanekalon hair. I like a certain brand of kanekalon so I usually bring that. To me, some of the pictures posted above are called "kinky twist" as they are slightly curly and use more kinky textured hair. My twist usually come out like the pics I have attached with slightly larger parting. The best thing to do is to talk to them, and show a picture of what you want so that you are on the same page. Once you have gone a few times they know what you like. View attachment 257347View attachment 257349

I really like these pics. When I get them I was thinking it would be best to bring a pic, I don't want them too small or too big.
I think I'm feeling some of the kinky twists. They're not too long and prob take less time to put in and take down and look quite natural. This is all new to me.

naturalmanenyc

ronie

I have been reading this thread and taking lots of notes. naturalmanenyc I am going to show your second picture in your first post to the braider as this is exactly what I want. Can you recommend a braider? I live in NY. Also which is the best hair for this style? My hair is 4b,4c with nothing but kinks, no curls.
I am going to ask them to leave my edges alone though. So the front will be more like LuLu s second picture with the baby hair, lol. I also want them to leave my nape alone. I might have that cornrowed straight accross and hidden.
Thanks for this thread OP and to all the ladies who shared their knowledge and experience.
More questions:
Is it better to blow dry the hair to stretch?
I plan to get my hair ready for the install. What should I use to moisturize and seal? I usually use a cream and some type of Shea butter mix. Will that be too much?
Are they going to use some type of pomade or wax to twist as they do with locs?
If yes what is an alternative product I should take with me? My hair hates beeswax. Silk dreams mocha bling butter has a nice pomade like texture, and my hair loves that. Any other recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks again ladies.

naturalmanenyc

ronie

For that style Marley hair was used, which I think will match your texture. However, I think it's also about technique.

I have blown out my hair in the past for braiding but I don't prefer it. When my hair shrinks up upon washing I feel like my braids loosen too much.

I don't do any special prep for braiding, other than a protein treatment.

Usually some kind of gel is used on the hair or edges. I've never seen wax used.

I've never used Silk Dreams products and can't compare them to anything.

You can try Marion Council George at (718) 783-9078. She's been braiding hair for about 30 years and has done my hair several times as well as my neighbors hair.

ronie

ronie For that style Marley hair was used, which I think will match your texture. However, I think it's also about technique. I have blown out my hair in the past for braiding but I don't prefer it. When my hair shrinks up upon washing I feel like my braids loosen too much. I don't do any special prep for braiding, other than a protein treatment. Usually some kind of gel is used on the hair or edges. I've never seen wax used. I've never used Silk Dreams products and can't compare them to anything. You can try Marion Council George at (718) 783-9078. She's been braiding hair for about 30 years and has done my hair several times as well as my neighbors hair.
Thanks Chica.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
ronie Is it better to blow dry the hair to stretch? I normally just roller set to stretch my hair but my braider always goes back in and use a blow dryer (especially on the roots) Takes her about 5 mins. I don't own a blow dryer but if I did, I would blow dry first. There are also licensed hairstylists that works in her shop; so for an extra $10, one of them will wash, deep condition then blow dry your hair if you prefer.

I plan to get my hair ready for the install. What should I use to moisturize and seal? I usually use a cream and some type of Shea butter mix. Will that be too much? I normally just use my rosewater/glycerin then follow that up with CD Hair Balm and focus that on my ends. What you plan on using seems fine since your hair is going to be hidden away and heavier products will keep it moisturized for a longer period.

Are they going to use some type of pomade or wax to twist as they do with locs?
More than likely. My braider adds some type of gel/pomade mix type product to the very beginning of the braid. (not sure of the name) She also adds a grease to the length of the hair every now and again while braiding. I just got braids this past weekend and noticed she used Softee coconut oil grease. I'm not a stickler for ingredients so I didn't mind...I just let her do her thing. lol

If yes what is an alternative product I should take with me? My hair hates beeswax. Silk dreams mocha bling butter has a nice pomade like texture, and my hair loves that. Any other recommendations will be appreciated.

The Silk Dreams sounds like it would be a great option or maybe even your shea butter mix you mentioned earlier. Let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:

bydebra

I've been meaning to make a YouTube video about this, but I have not gotten around to it. I do not think Senegalese twists are a good protective style for several reasons.

The hair used can cause irritation/itching, the weight of hair is not good for your edges, the products they use to make the twists stay in (gel/spritz) can cause breakage, my hair is always tangled up with the twists when it's time to take them down and my naturally thick hair seems thinner. The braiders also "trim" flyaways. I did not allow them to do this to my hair, but I watched them cut quite a bit of someone's natural hair that was puffing out of the twists.

For long hair, it takes forever to install and when they dip the ends in hot water, some of your hair can get "sealed in" the twists. I experienced a set back from my last set of Senegalese twists and I will never get them again. Hopefully, if you decided to get them, some of the tips shared here will help you avoid damage.

ronie

lulu97 thanks for your reply missy. I have an appointment for Friday morning. I hope everything goes well, and I will report back with pictures.
simplydebra girl now u getting me scared, lol. What do you recommend?

cutiebe2

I've been meaning to make a YouTube video about this, but I have not gotten around to it. I do not think Senegalese twists are a good protective style for several reasons.

The hair used can cause irritation/itching, the weight of hair is not good for your edges, the products they use to make the twists stay in (gel/spritz) can cause breakage, my hair is always tangled up with the twists when it's time to take them down and my naturally thick hair seems thinner. The braiders also "trim" flyaways. I did not allow them to do this to my hair, but I watched them cut quite a bit of someone's natural hair that was puffing out of the twists.

For long hair, it takes forever to install and when they dip the ends in hot water, some of your hair can get "sealed in" the twists. I experienced a set back from my last set of Senegalese twists and I will never get them again. Hopefully, if you decided to get them, some of the tips shared here will help you avoid damage.

I think like any style, you need to pay attention to what the braiders are doing, go to a good braider who is not going to argue with you when you want changes, etc. The last time I took down my twist which was about two weeks ago, I had no matting. My hair was sooo moisturized. I took them out after two months, and went to run an errands. I agree that they can cut fly aways, use gel etc. It is up to you to watch what they are doing. I often bring my own comb, hair (which you can clean in the vinegar mix), and lotion for them to moisturize my hair with. I also watch how they install the hair around my edges and they know to do bog parting. After a few week, if some braids are coming out I take them out and wrap the hair around another braid.

Like any other style, you can't just let people do what they want with you hair. I've been wearing this style for about two years now, 2 months on, 1 month off. My hair has grown from SL after a set back to grazing BSL. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be full BSL.

naturalmanenyc

simplydebra

Senegalese twists and twists in general are one of the best protective styles due to the low manipulation of the hair (with or without extensions). Braids are more harsh than twists because they require more manipulation. Your issue is with your braider, not the style.

ronie
It's always a good idea to wash hair in advance of installing to remove any coating or it can cause itching.

There is no requirement to use gels or spritz. The braider will use whatever product you prefer.

I've never had a braider try to trim fly aways from my twists. Then again, the method for installing twists does not leave fly aways. I suppose if one is getting a more puffy twists, rather than a firmer twists, there would be fly aways. I prefer my twists to be more firm.

My extensions are always a bit longer than my own hair such that the ends of my hair are never touching the hot water to curl the extensions.

I removed twists last week after about 8 weeks and I had no hair tangled up in my twists. It only took 1 hour to remove them. I then carefully detangled my own hair.

bydebra

@lulu97 thanks for your reply missy. I have an appointment for Friday morning. I hope everything goes well, and I will report back with pictures.
@simplydebra girl now u getting me scared, lol. What do you recommend?

@lulu97 I didn't mean to scare you. If you want to get them, go for it. When my hair was shorter, I wore phony ponies. I also like to do French braids, buns, and other updos. I think the ladies here have shared some good tips to help you (hopefully) avoid damage.

I think like any style, you need to pay attention to what the braiders are doing, go to a good braider who is not going to argue with you when you want changes, etc. The last time I took down my twist which was about two weeks ago, I had no matting. My hair was sooo moisturized. I took them out after two months, and went to run an errands. I agree that they can cut fly aways, use gel etc. It is up to you to watch what they are doing. I often bring my own comb, hair (which you can clean in the vinegar mix), and lotion for them to moisturize my hair with. I also watch how they install the hair around my edges and they know to do bog parting. After a few week, if some braids are coming out I take them out and wrap the hair around another braid.

Like any other style, you can't just let people do what they want with you hair. I've been wearing this style for about two years now, 2 months on, 1 month off. My hair has grown from SL after a set back to grazing BSL. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be full BSL.

@cutiebe2 I did pay attention to what the braiders were doing. No matter how good the braiders are, you still risk damage from the weight of the braids as well as the other factors that I listed. If they work for you, great. Everyone's hair is different.

@simplydebra

Senegalese twists and twists in general are one of the best protective styles due to the low manipulation of the hair (with or without extensions). Braids are more harsh than twists because they require more manipulation. Your issue is with your braider, not the style.

@ronie
It's always a good idea to wash hair in advance of installing to remove any coating or it can cause itching.

There is no requirement to use gels or spritz. The braider will use whatever product you prefer.

I've never had a braider try to trim fly aways from my twists. Then again, the method for installing twists does not leave fly aways. I suppose if one is getting a more puffy twists, rather than a firmer twists, there would be fly aways. I prefer my twists to be more firm.

My extensions are always a bit longer than my own hair such that the ends of my hair are never touching the hot water to curl the extensions.

I removed twists last week after about 8 weeks and I had no hair tangled up in my twists. It only took 1 hour to remove them. I then carefully detangled my own hair.

@naturalmanenyc With all due respect, I'm not a newbie at hair care. Not all low manipulation styles make for good protective styles. I don't know your hair history or anything about your hair length, retention, thickness/density, goals, etc. All of those factors may have affected your experience versus mine, but I've been on my journey for years and I have had both Kinky twists and Senegalese twists installed.

I know what my experience is and I know that there are many horror stories regarding Senegalese twists. The braiders were fine and I made my requests regarding my hair clear. My opinion stands that I do not think that they are a good protective style. I am also certainly NOT the only person who has this opinion.

One thing about this online hair care world is that people don't like a diversity of opinions. That's why I don't post often.

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

simplydebra

Not here to e-argue. Per my Komaza Care hair analysis as compared with hundreds of others who sent in hair, twists are the best low manipulation style for growth and retention when installed correctly and removed with care. This is based on what they saw under their high powered microscope.

Feel free to post your opinion. You paid your subscription fee just like everyone else.

With all due respect, I'm not a newbie at hair care. Not all low manipulation styles make for good protective styles. I don't know your hair history or anything about your hair length, retention, thickness/density, goals, etc. All of those factors may have affected your experience versus mine, but I've been on my journey for years and I have had both Kinky twists and Senegalese twists installed.

I know what my experience is and I know that there are many horror stories regarding Senegalese twists. The braiders were fine and I made my requests regarding my hair clear. My opinion stands that I do no think the they are a good protective style. I am also certainly NOT the only person who has this opinion.

One thing about this online hair care world is that people don't like a diversity of opinions. That's why I don't post often. My hair is thriving. I have no reason to e-argue with other people about what you choose do with your hair.

Harina

ETA pictures: This is what my last set looked like a few months ago. I do want to go bigger next time though just to kinda switch it up.

Old thread but lulu97 what brand/hair was used for the pics you showed? The second woman is not you, correct? Do you know the hair used for her?

They usually use Kanekalon hair. I like a certain brand of kanekalon so I usually bring that.

Once you have gone a few times they know what you like. View attachment 257347View attachment 257349

cutiebe2 What is that certain brand of hair?

@Schakiaw

Found a better photo of my Senegalese twists done with Marley hair.

naturalmanenyc

Was the whole head done with the Marley hair or is the one where you combined marley with the janet afro bulk?

Britt

I currently have in Senegalese twists and I'm almost on my 6th week of having them in. My edges started to grow out so I bought an extra pack of hair and went on Saturday to have front redone and a few in the nape.

Since I've had these twists in I've done 2 regular washings with shampoo in the shower and in between that I did spray bottle with shampoo and rinse with water from another spray bottle method. I've been also oiling my scalp.

When I got my braids redone I was anxious to assess the condition of my hair from the twists I took done. Much to my surprise, my hair felt very moisturized and slightly oily in spite of the fact that I washed my hair the night before. What I also noticed that I wasn't too happy about was the matting at certain areas around my edges. It seemed as if product had built up a little bit possibly where the braid/twist begins and the area was matted. The braider took her time to comb it out. Now that I have the front redone, I will keep these in another 3 or 4 weeks, leaving me at a total of 8 -9 weeks that I've had these in. When I take them down, I'll cut off the remainder of my relaxed ends and prob get another braided style.

Harina

I currently have in Senegalese twists and I'm almost on my 6th week of having them in. My edges started to grow out so I bought an extra pack of hair and went on Saturday to have front redone and a few in the nape.

Since I've had these twists in I've done 2 regular washings with shampoo in the shower and in between that I did spray bottle with shampoo and rinse with water from another spray bottle method. I've been also oiling my scalp.

Britt what brand/kind of hair did you use?

naturalmanenyc

Harina

She combined Janet afro bulk and Marley hair; however, the front crown (say from temple to temple) is Marley hair. She basically filled in the front on day two with Marley hair since we ran out of Janet hair the day prior.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Harina My braider uses kanekalon hair from the black and gold brand. The 2nd photo of the larger twists was found by browsing google images so I'm not sure of the hair used for those.

cutiebe2

Harina

I alsouse x-pressions. There are tons of imitators now. The true X-pressions is the one that has X-Pressions in large letters running down the plastic of the package. Its become so popular that now all the brands try to write X-something on their pack. Ugg

contsantia

BUMP
I have has Senegalese twist in for a month and my roots are SUPER puffy. (I watched my hair twice). Do you know how I can avoid this? Also I'm afraid of twisting my hair bc I locs very easily
:D

LadyPBC

bumping this thread because I have senegalese twists. I love them and have received lots of compliments using toyokalon hair. I got them on Thursday and they are frizzing up already. I'm sure its because I have no idea how to take care of them. Would anyone care to give bedtime tips and detailed daily regime tips?! Please and thank you!:bighug: