senegalese twists as a protective style

Schakiaw

senegalese twists as a protective style????

For the summer I wanna get some senegalese twists and try to grow out my hair more ... Does anyone know the Max time you should leave them in? And when I get them install should I continue with my wash hair regimen ? Or is there a method to refer to when having braids install as a protective style .,
It better to get small are large because I want mine the size as In this pic image.jpg

Last edited:

Harina

Re: senegalese twists as a protective style????

For the summer I wanna get some senegalese twists and try to grow out my hair more ... Does anyone know the Max time you should leave them in? And when I get them install should I continue with my wash hair regimen ? Or is there a method to refer to when having braids install as a protective style .,
It better to get small are large because I want mine the size as In this pic View attachment 257115

Can I ask you a serious question? Do you actually like the ones in the pic? I find them to be a little bit heavy and fake looking.

Schakiaw

Harina yes, I like the ones in the pic .. How are they suppose to look? This is my first time researching them

Harina

Harina yes, I like the ones in the pic .. How are they suppose to look? This is my first time researching them

That's one way they can look. I like lighter, fluffier senegalese twists. I used to rock senegalese twists and people would sometimes ask me if they were my real hair so I guess I am just partial to that. These look a bit plasticky to me but that might just because it is a close up.

I will try to find a pic of what I am talking about.

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Schakiaw

I don't leave extensions in longer than 2 months at a time, 8 - 10 weeks depending on when I take them down and when I can schedule an appointment to have them re-installed.

You should wash your hair (at least clean your scalp) just as you normally would. I put a stocking cap over my hair to wash it. You also need to use a moisturizing braid spray and spray in protein treatment. I use a mix of braid spray and protein each night. I've used homemade concoctions with conditioner and oils but they left my hair with too much build up.

The size depends on the look you want. I would also not recommend hair that is too silky or it will look fake like the hair in the photo you posted.

My hair is natural so I used Finger Comber hair for my Havana Twists but they can be done with Marley hair. People who don't know me always presume it's my hair.

Details are on my blog here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/diy-fail-havana-twists/

I used Janet Collection afro kinky bulk hair for Senegalese twists, but they can also be done with Marley hair.

Details are on my blog here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/senegalese-twists-protective-hairstyle/

I used the same Janet afro kinky bulk hair for Kinky Twists and it looked totally different. A video is on my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYXcsarYuoo

I used Dred Spring hair for this crochet braid style aka Spring Twists or Curly Twists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJ2pzKSLHA

I'm not sure what kind of hair was used for this style, but it was a combo of cornrows, silky dreads and two strand twists.

cutiebe2

I use Kanekalon hair (Nigerian Brand, "Xpressions") an I get tons of compliments. Not interested in using marley hair as that is a totally different look. Just use whatever hair you want as long as it is quality. Cheap synthetic hair will never look good.

I keep them in for 2 months and wash weekly with whatever cheapie conditioner I have on hand. I hair is super moisturized when I take it out. More than 2 months is pushing it IMO.

NaturallyATLPCH

So it's better to use Marley hair to get a more natural look?naturalmanenyc

I've been wearing different sets of twists for almost 6 months with marley hair. People always think it's my hair.

I love these things. They are the best for length retention and so light.

Like another poster said, make sure you get hair closest to your own texture. Mine is more kinky so my hair blends in well.

Britt

Do u guys purchase the hair and then bring it to the braid shop with u? I'm interested in getting twists this summer and want natural looking hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Evolving78

i didn't use natural looking hair. and i kept them in for 6 weeks. i reinstalled the ones around my hairline though. my hair was dine and healthy when i took them out. i just used braid spray and that hot sixx oil spray. i used the ORS herbal cleansing gel to clean them, and i did shampoo twice. i may install them again one of these days when i have some time.

tru4reele

I just took out some smaller box braids and I retained so much length. I kept them in for a month and washed them once. I used braid spray on them. They were very long and cute.

I have had Senegalese twists before and they were okay on my hair. To me they were harder to detangle after takedown because with Senegal twists the hair is rolled between the fingers while twisting which gives you the rope effect. So when you take it down the hair is still rolled up. It hard to explain.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I see nothing wrong with the ones in your OP but personally I would not use Marley hair for Senegalese twists. Marley hair to me is a bit rough and itchy looking and may work well with other type of braid/twists styles but I prefer a more silky like look for my Senegalese twists. I also prefer them smaller because IMO the smaller ones lasts longer. I retain length like normal and keep them in 8-10 weeks. Also the more you wet them, the shorter the lifespan. I wash mine every 3-4 weeks and just may use dry shampoo in between that time if my scalp gets oily.

As a first timer, I would suggest getting them professionally done and letting the braider know not to braid them too tight. Use a braid spray to moisturize every other day and wash/condition every 2 weeks. Leave in 6-8 weeks. Once you figure out your groove, adjust accordingly.

ETA pictures: This is what my last set looked like a few months ago. I do want to go bigger next time though just to kinda switch it up.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
How long does it take to take them out? I haven't had braids in over 10 years.

I take mine out over the course of a week. I start with the middle since once they are all out, you can still make high/low ponytails with the hair that's left. Then I'll take out the back and just wear low ponytails and on the weekend when I'm totally free, I'll take down the rest. Taking them down in intervals for me makes it easier to remove shed hair and finger detangle with coconut oil, small sections at a time. Also makes it less overwhelming then doing it all at once.

Last edited:

Britt

I take mine out over the course of a week. I start with the middle since once they are all out, you can still make high/low ponytails with the hair that's left. Then I'll take out the back and just wear low ponytails and on the weekend when I'm totally free, I'll take down the rest. Taking them down in intervals for me makes it easier to remove shed hair and finger detangle with coconut oil, small sections at a time. Also makes it less overwhelming then doing it all at once.

Thank u lulu ! I was thinking that this would be easiest. Prob start like on a Thursday and finish by Sunday.
You said they fuzz quicker with washing. Is it best to wash every 2 weeks or more and prob use a dry poo on the scalp ?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thank u lulu ! I was thinking that this would be easiest. Prob start like on a Thursday and finish by Sunday.
You said they fuzz quicker with washing. Is it best to wash every 2 weeks or more and prob use a dry poo on the scalp ?

I would recommend just using a dry shampoo weekly and washing every 3-4 weeks if you are concerned about the longevity of the style. After the first wash, they WILL become frizzy (especially for us girls with natural hair) no matter what washing technique you use. lol

Edited to tag Britt in this answer as OP I don't want you to think this answer was geared towards you. Britt knows how to detect when her hair needs something and has a solid grip on taking care of her hair. I would not recommend someone that's new to taking care of their hair to go that long in between washing/conditioning properly. I've been getting braids installed at least twice a year since my teenage years so I consider myself a pro when it comes to braids and just knowing my hair in general.

Last edited:

NGraceO

i prefer to use kanekalon and think you can achieve a natural, fluffy looking results all the same....it is all in the technique. I have the self-installed currently.

As for maintenance, I honestly am known to get lazy while in braids. I try to consistently moisturize and seal, but reduce my washes & dcs to once every couple of weeks....meh.

Attachments

• image-3641079003.jpg
    image-3641079003.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 194

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Do u guys purchase the hair and then bring it to the braid shop with u? I'm interested in getting twists this summer and want natural looking hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF[/QUOTE

It depends on the braider. The braiding shop I use will ask if you want them to provide the hair at the time you book the appt. If you say yes then the price will be higher. I usually just buy hair in bulk since I use the braiding hair at home as well so I just take my own.

Britt

I would recommend just using a dry shampoo weekly and washing every 3-4 weeks if you are concerned about the longevity of the style. After the first wash, they WILL become frizzy (especially for us girls with natural hair) no matter what washing technique you use. lol

Edited to tag @Britt in this answer as OP I don't want you to think this answer was geared towards you. Britt knows how to detect when her hair needs something and has a solid grip on taking care of her hair. I would not recommend someone that's new to taking care of their hair to go that long in between washing/conditioning properly. I've been getting braids installed at least twice a year since my teenage years so I consider myself a pro when it comes to braids and just knowing my hair in general.

It depends on the braider. The braiding shop I use will ask if you want them to provide the hair at the time you book the appt. If you say yes then the price will be higher. I usually just buy hair in bulk since I use the braiding hair at home as well so I just take my own.
Thanks for all of this lulu97 :hug2:. This is the first time I've heard of buying hair to bring for braiding. I plan on getting twists when I big chop.

Britt

Big chop!?! Please explain!!! Is it the heat damage? :((((

I hv hear damage in a small area but I'm due for my big chop soon. I'm 14.5 months post. I plan on chopping beginning of June most likely. I was thinking of bc'ing and then getting Senegalese twists.

naturalmanenyc

Schakiaw

This is a photo of my Havana twists after about 8 weeks. I took them out last week. I'm natural so this texture works best for me. It's Finger Comber hair that I bought and took with me to the braider.

The brownish/red is from my henna treatment.

Attachments

• havana twists - 8 weeks.jpg
    havana twists - 8 weeks.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

What's the best braid spray to use ?

I use Mane & Tail braid spray but have used different brands in the past.

Did any of you guys retain length with them ?

Length retention is more about removing the braids. If you don't remove them carefully, any length you gained could be lost during the take down. You will experience build up after 8 - 10 weeks (mostly at the nape for me), so taking them out carefully is key.

AnjelLuvs

@Britt, The first set I got I brought hair and had to go back to store to get more, it was quite the inconvenience.. Luckily store was just up the block, couldn't imagine using the different textures of hair, as the braiding spot used something different.

2nd set, same spot, just got hair there, as it turned out to be same price , or even cheaper... Just got to bargain price, Lol...

Last edited:

cutiebe2

FYI it takes me between 1.5 to 2 hours to take down my Senegalese twist even with my hair almost at BSL