A Texturizers Thread - Pics, Info, Regimens

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
So there is a big difference between texlax and texturizers.

I use Hawaiian Silky Relaxer in Mild so it doesn't relax my hair bone straight.

But for the ladies who texturize. How is your hair? When you co-wash, do you keep your curls? Is it easy to straighten? Pics? Etc?

I was thinking about getting a texturizer just to loosen up the curl pattern.

Having thread that focuses only on Texturizers and not relaxers/texlaxers would be good.

Jaysin

I used phytospecific relaxer level 1 for some time and have not used it for about 8 months now. I liked it a lot but my hair started to get really course so my hair dresser had me try mezzanine butter blend and that made my hair too straight so I took a 6 month break. I also used lineage shae butter texturizer in the past and liked it when I first used it but after a bad application I never went back to it. I would also like to hear what others say because I'm strongly considering a texturizer again. Either phytospecific 1, lineage or miss Jessie's silkener. I'm open to suggestions.

EnExitStageLeft

Texlax to Texturizing Transitioner here :wave:

From what I've notice my Texturized hair is way more resilient then my texlaxed strands. My Texturized hair accepts moisture quite well and likes protein, but not in heavy doses (well at least not often). I think this is because my texturized hair is of normal porosity, while my texlaxed hair (specifically the ends of my hair) have a higher porosity.

My hair straigthens relatively easy, even while "transitioning", but then again I think that lies in my technique rather then texture of my actual hair.

My Straightened hair:
2012-09-16_00.11.49.jpg

I tend to go completely Curly Girl in the summer and only use a Poo once to twice a month for a good thorough cleansing/clarifying and have never wash and go'ed before, however considering my hair is textured from root to end now I may give it a shot.

My Wet Texture:
20130119_20_46_03-vi.jpg

This is a pic of my current "Transitioning" hair from texlaxed to completely Texturized. Notice how my much more textured the first 4 inches of my hair are vs the rest of my length. This area is my texturized section.

Overall, my texlaxed and texturized hair is fairly similar. Only difference is the slight porosity difference in the two textures and the definition/thickness.

Carmelella

Bump...

I think I might have to consider this. I've been texlaxing ( I guess, since u never get it straight), and while the back flourishes, the front doesnt. Are texturizers more mild or less damaging?

Carmelella

EnExitStageLeft said:

From what I've notice my Texturized hair is way more resilient then my texlaxed strands. My Texturized hair accepts moisture quite well and likes protein, but not in heavy doses (well at least not often). I think this is because my texturized hair is of normal porosity, while my texlaxed hair (specifically the ends of my hair) have a higher porosity.

My hair straigthens relatively easy, even while "transitioning", but then again I think that lies in my technique rather then texture of my actual hair.

My Straightened hair:

I tend to go completely Curly Girl in the summer and only use a Poo once to twice a month for a good thorough cleansing/clarifying and have never wash and go'ed before, however considering my hair is textured from root to end now I may give it a shot.

My Wet Texture:

This is a pic of my current "Transitioning" hair from texlaxed to completely Texturized. Notice how my much more textured the first 4 inches of my hair are vs the rest of my length. This area is my texturized section.

Overall, my texlaxed and texturized hair is fairly similar. Only difference is the slight porosity difference in the two textures and the definition/thickness.

What kind of texturizer do u use?

EnExitStageLeft

Carmelella

Linange Shea Butter texturizer. Its extremely mild and seems to leave texture no matter how long you leave it on. I've left it on as long as ten minutes and still had a good amount of texture left.

Last edited:

alive

I used phytospecific relaxer level 1 for some time and have not used it for about 8 months now. I liked it a lot but my hair started to get really course so my hair dresser had me try mezzanine butter blend and that made my hair too straight so I took a 6 month break. I also used lineage shae butter texturizer in the past and liked it when I first used it but after a bad application I never went back to it. I would also like to hear what others say because I'm strongly considering a texturizer again. Either phytospecific 1, lineage or miss Jessie's silkener. I'm open to suggestions.

this brings back memories. when i was trying to decide between going natural or staying relaxed, phyto sounded like the best thing on earth

Guinan

Re-Branding
Great Thread OP!

I used Linange Shea Butter Texturizer and I LOVE it!!! For me it smooths my hair w/o me losing my curls. It even adds alittle curl definition for me in the front of my hair.

When my hair is wet, it curls right up. When I was natural, my natural curl pattern was a fine/very coarse in the middle 3c/4a/4b. But with the texturizer it's 3a-4a & not coarse. I probably would have continued to be natural if it wasnt for the middle of my hair. I would have sooo many dreds & knots. I still get some knots in the middle of my hair but not nearly as bad as when I was natural.

It's easier for me to straighten now b/c its less frizzy & not as coarse.

The pics in my siggie is from a WnG/Braidout and my avatar is from when I flat ironed my hair.

The other pics is right after texturizing & the hair is wet. And then flat ironed. The last pic is before I texturized.

Attachments

• LINANGE 26.JPG
    LINANGE 26.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 574
  • LINANGE 24.JPG
    LINANGE 24.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 564
  • LINANGE 13.JPG
    LINANGE 13.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 518
  • LINANGE 15.JPG
    LINANGE 15.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 482
  • TEXTURE.JPG
    TEXTURE.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 454

Guinan

Re-Branding
@Carmelella

Linange Shea Butter texturizer. Its extremely mild and seems to leave texture no matter how long you leave it on. I've left it on as long as ten minutes and still had a good amount of texture left.

I 2nd that. I do the half and half method, and I leave it on for 20min each for a total of 40 min and I still had texture left.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
EnExitStageLeft & pelohello

Do you ladies use the matching Linange Neutralizing Conditioner with your touchup applications?

I am trying to decide if I'm going to TU with ORS lye or go the Linange texturizer route.

EnExitStageLeft

yaya24

I have it but only used it once. I prefer Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo. Its a chelating neutralizing shampoo so it removes calcium buildup and excess buildup from my scalp and hair (due to scalp basing and protecting my length and ends prior to texturizing). However, its sulfate free and super gentle and doesnt strip the hair at all. I love it!

Only drawback is it doesnt have color indicator :(. Then again neither does the Linange Neutralizing Conditioner,so I guess its not really a issue lol.

nemi95

Carmelella

Where can I buy Linange Shea Butter Texturizer? I'm transitioning to natural and I just don't love my natural hair. I'm 4a all round the premiter and have very thick coarse 4b in the crown! I love the curls on the premiter of my head, I just have to put a skull cap on and hide the middle.

ThatJerseyGirl

I've been checking out the Linange Shea Butter Texturizer for a minute. Do you have to mix it with anything, or just use it straight out of the container?

I think this just sealed the deal for me. I'm getting everything that goes with it, including the conditioner...

EnExitStageLeft

Where can I buy Linange Shea Butter Texturizer? I'm transitioning to natural and I just don't love my natural hair. I'm 4a all round the premiter and have very thick coarse 4b in the crown! I love the curls on the premiter of my head, I just have to put a skull cap on and hide the middle.

nemi95
I get mine off Ebay. However ive heard some beauty supply stores carry it.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I've been checking out the Linange Shea Butter Texturizer for a minute. Do you have to mix it with anything, or just use it straight out of the container?

I think this just sealed the deal for me. I'm getting everything that goes with it, including the conditioner...

I have the lye, so there's no mixing, so I use it straight out of the container.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

EnExitStageLeft

@ThatJerseyGirl
I add oil and conditioner to mine, so I retain a lot of texture.

Cw6s-vi.jpg

^^^^This is my texture airdried and stretched (I was only a couple weeks post, maybe 3)

JaneBond007

You have to use the neutralising conditioner...it's part of the steps. The instructions in English differ from the Spanish and they are more complete in Spanish. You have to apply it 3 times with the first after rinsing and no manipulation of the hair for 5 or 10 min. whichever is indicated on the bottle, then rinse, apply again and massage like shampoo. After those steps, you should truly further neutralize with a low ph shampoo/neut. shampoo.

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
I am texturized and get my hair done at a Toronto salon. I usually try to wait 12 weeks between touch ups. Tried self-relaxing and always ended up with hair too straight (and having to trim those ends off) so the salon is best for me.

I began texturizing in 2007 when I did the BC to get rid of bone straight hair afters years of dry and unhealthy hair. Also suffer with PCOS which does major havoc on my hair each year (shedding in the temples and nap - balding in some years :nono:) so my health issues and a few mistakes along the way (deciding to relax bone straight after 3 years of texturized hair) means that I am starting all over again - and loving it.

Looking forward to learning tips and sharing ideas in this thread. Thank you OP :yep:.

The first pic is my har 2 years ago. The second is present day, without the at-home box colour!

Attachments

• Anita's Hair Cream August 2009.jpg
    Anita's Hair Cream August 2009.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 476
  • LHCF.jpg
    LHCF.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 559

Jewell

Thanks for the info, EnExitStageLeft !

I'm seriously considering transitioning from texlaxed to texturized. I think I end up leaving the relaxer on too long because Im not the quickest at getting through all my hair for application before I go back and smooth very lightly. So my hair comes out straighter than I'd like. I only use mild relaxers, but I wonder if switching to maybe Silk Elements lye mild, or ORS lye mild from my current Optimum Multimineral lye relaxer in mild will help.

Either that or just going straight to the texturizer route. I just hate to have to cut my hair. Very small and gradual trims over quite a few yrs to keep growing longer is what I'd do if I did decide to transition. Leaning more towards trying a diff mild lye relaxer first on next TU in May.

ETA I add lots of oil to the relaxer to slow down processing. Next time I'll add a thick conditioner too.

My Straightened hair:
View attachment 198233

My Wet Texture:
View attachment 198235

Last edited:

Valerie

I texturised two weeks ago and I have very mixed feelings about my hair. You ladies hair looks very nice, maybe I texturised too long, only did it for 13 minutes total, however I have been weekly using cassia/henna mix with Brahmi, amla powders and I only leave on my hair for 30 minutes max. I am going to see how I feel about my hair in 3 months time.

Attachments

• Back showing 1st and 2nd week on doing cassia henna treatment on 23 and 28 February 2013.jpg
    Back showing 1st and 2nd week on doing cassia henna treatment on 23 and 28 February 2013.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 433

caliscurls

Subbing! I mentioned on a different thread earlier this week that I'm going for a deeper texlax i.e. texurizer at my next TU due to detangling issues. Linange Shea Butter Lye Relaxer is my go to so I'll add conditioner to it this time and next time just buy the texturizer.

EnExitStageLeft

Basic Texturizer Tips and Tricks:

1.First and foremost, if you are not comfortable self-texturizing....DON'T! Please contact a professional or someone that you can trust to help you with this process.

2. Always base your scalp and protect your ends. Texturizers are nothing but weakened relaxers. They can potentially damage the scalp just as a normal relaxer could (just at a much slower pace). So basing your scalp is vital. For the process you can use any store bought scalp base, hair grease or petroleum jelly. To protect your previously chemically treated ends simply apply any viscous oil or conditioner (or both) to the length and ends of the hair. They also sale protective pre-treatments to protect your hair's length and ends in store.

Scalp Base Options:

• Vital Scalp Base
  • Mizani Butter Blend Butter Base Scalp Protector
  • Summit Sensitive Scalp Base Creme
  • Any old fashion hair grease that is Petroleum or Mineral Oil base
  • Vaseline

Protective Pre-Treatments Options:

• Mizani Butter Blends Honeysheild
  • Affirm Protecto
  • Roux Porosity Control
  • Any conditioner (preferably with cones, they will block the relaxer from fully penetrating the hair)
  • Thick oils: Castor, Coconut, Hempseed and etc

3. Never apply the Texturizer haphazardly. Apply in sections and if you want to work slowly please utilize the half/half method. (Here is a video of this method here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMjrIeJsbXM).

4. Please try to use some type of timing source so that you may actively gauge the length of your application and processing time.

5. ALWAYS USE A NEUTRALIZING SHAMPOO! I know there have been a couple threads about using ACV and other household products to neutralize and while they do have low ph's which can potentially neutralize that hair, they cannot remove the calcium or mineral build-up left over from the texturizer. Your safest bet is to stick with a legitimate neutralizing shampoo, preferably one that doubles as a chelating shampoo as well (this is not necessary, but preferred).

Good Neutralizing Poo' Options:

• Elucence Moisture Acidfying Shampoo (Chelating)
    • ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo (chelating)
    • Mizani Balance Hair Bath (chelating)
    • Mizani Phormula-7 Neutralizing Shampoo (chelating)
    • Isoplus Neutralizing Shampoo
    • Elasta QP Stop Action Neutralizing Shampoo
    • CHI Deep Brilliance Balance Instant Neutralizing Shampoo (chelating)

6. Always keep in mind that while a texturizer is quite mild, it is still a caustic chemical that can still cause great damage if done incorrectly. So with that being said, please try your best to apply to new growth ONLY! If by chance it happens to spread to your previously texlaxed/texturized ends (Which should have already been protected before hand), neutralize that area extremely well. For example, If I mistakenly get the texturizer towards my ends. I would immediately wipe it off. I would then process as usual and then once at the neutralizing step, I would of course apply my neutralizing poo and then add extra to that specific area of my hair.

6(a). If by chance you mistakenly get texturizer towards the ends of your hair (or any overlapping for that matter) you should neutralize once more then you usually would. For example, I tend the lather up with the neutralizing poo 3 to 4 times and allow each lather to sit on my hair for 5 to 10 minutes each. If by chance I get the texturizer towards my ends I would simply bump my lathers up to 4 to 5 times.

These steps may be routine for most of us, but I know some may need a little extra help.

So, I HTH's Someone:)

EnExitStageLeft

I texturised two weeks ago and I have very mixed feelings about my hair. You ladies hair looks very nice, maybe I texturised too long, only did it for 13 minutes total, however I have been weekly using cassia/henna mix with Brahmi, amla powders and I only leave on my hair for 30 minutes max. I am going to see how I feel about my hair in 3 months time.

Valerie

Your hair is quite lovely. LOVING THE THICKNESS!

I understand your mixed feelings. My first attempt at texturizing was with the Just for Me Texturizer and it left my hair relatively straight (slight curl, but nothing like what I have now). This is what lead me to believe that all texturizers are not created equal :nono:. With the Linange I find that no matter how long I leave it on, I am still left with ample amounts of texture (I never exceed 12 minutes though).

Also, your hair's porosity plays a great part in your processing time. When I first started texlaxing my hair late 2010 I was suffering from a sever case heat damage which left me with high porosity hair from root to end. Over the course of time I have slowly chopped the porous ends away and have come to find out that my hair is actually of normal porosity. I have also notice that my processing times then and now differ greatly. When my hair was of higher porosity it took maybe 5 to 7 minutes to process. However, now that I am a majority normal porosity(I still have some highly porous ends) it takes about 10 to 12 minutes to process.

I think one of these two may be the reason your hair processed as straight as it did. I hope you don't mind me asking but, Do you know your hair's porosity? and What brand of texturizer did you use?

EnExitStageLeft

@Jewell

No problem, I'm super excited to have a thread like this started :happydance: TheEspressoHair. People never really talk much about texturizing, which is why I still label myself as texlaxed.

Also, I think its smart to switch to a mild relaxer first. When I texlaxed I stan'ed for Silk Elements Lye in Mild, so I highly recommend it :yep:.
Also, may I say you hair in you avi is GAWJUS! Was it curled?

@pelohello

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! Its so uniform :lick:. I love it!

Last edited:

Valerie

EnExitStageLeft I used Just for Me texturiser. What I have found, it as I have been using Ayurvedic treatments weekly for three months. So far, I am pleased how my hair is since I did two weekly treatments. Thank you very much about my comment about my hair, it is probably high porosity, plus it's coloured as well. Will definitely do my weekly treatments to see how my hair feels after that.

Just did a strand test and it seems to be normal, plus I have always been using Aloe vera and juice. I think that I have a mixture of fine and thicker strands.

Attachments

• Back showing 1st and 2nd week on doing cassia henna treatment on 23 and 28 February 2013.jpg
    Back showing 1st and 2nd week on doing cassia henna treatment on 23 and 28 February 2013.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

Valerie

I wish I had thicker strands. Mine are baby fine and tangle like no ones business if left unattended for to long. I really want to try my hand at box braids next fall, but I'm afraid that when I remove them I will be left with unintended locs :perplexed.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I posted these pics in the BSL thread.

The 1st pic is of my natural hair w/ sum hair gel. I tried to find pics w/o the gel, but came up empty. I'll keep looking:yep: The other pics are from me blow drying my hair.

The main thing I've noticed after seeing these pics is that my hair was def alot thicker & frizzy when I was natural.

Attachments

• NATURAL HAIR TEXTURE 2.JPG
    NATURAL HAIR TEXTURE 2.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 325
  • NATURAL HAIR TEXTURE BLOW DRY.JPG
    NATURAL HAIR TEXTURE BLOW DRY.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 290