Battle

What is your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krissyhair

I am a lover of salon products. But I'm curious to know what you all are using. There's a hunch deep inside of me that already knows the answer, but here's a poll to put my suspicions to rest. Do you prefer:

Salon products (Matrix, Mizani, Nexus, etc.)
Old school afro-textured hair care products (Softsheen, Hollywood Beauty, ORS, etc.)
Boutique hair care products (Anabelle Perfect Blends, Shescent it, Heritage Hydrations etc.)
Mainstream brands (Garnier, Suave, Pantene etc.)
Kitchen creations (Olive oil, vinegar, fresh fruit etc.)
New wave afro-textured hair care products (Shea Moisture, Carol's Daughter, Kinky Curly)

By the way, I made the results public so we can see which of our hair inspirations are using what things.

Last edited:

LadyRaider

I love me some Shescentit, but it seems my favs are disappearing? I'm trying to get more attached to KeraCare. I've had success with those products as well.

Britt

Boutique hair care products for sure. I love the moisturizers, conditioners, leave ins.

koolkittychick

Salon products for the most part. My hair has become very spoiled on Paul Mitchell, so much so that it rebels when I try to use other products. Much to my dismay, it hates most Shea Moisture products, will revolt against 90% of the stuff in Sally's, and will declare all out war against me (to the point of sacrificing its own strands) if I even think about using "old school" products on it. I'm just glad it likes this one inexpensive, BSB moisturizer that I use (and have to buy often), or else I'd be broke! My hair, she is a demanding, high-maintenance so-and-so, but I do what I can to keep her happy. :yep:

overtherainbow

I picked New Wave and Kitchen Creations, but my homemade stuff is definitely winning by a landslide. My hair hates salon products and the boutique stuff is out of my price range ($30 for 8oz? No thanks!). For some reason, it seems as if the drugstore brands are outdoing the salon stuff nowadays because I'll take Aussie Moist over Paul Mitchell The Conditioner any day.

Britt

OP if salon products work for you, that's great! You don't have to deal with shipping times and waiting on end for your stuff! I walked into a bss store a few months ago that had a whole lot of various salon brands, and they were in liter sizes, and I thought man - if I liked this stuff, I'd just buy a liter of poo and a liter of conditioner.

greenandchic

I've always used salon products since I started doing my own hair as a teenager (wash, condition, style - never pressed/ironed my own hair). When it came to conditioners, deep conditioners and shampoos, they always came out ahead for me when there were not many options in the 1990s.

I would say that lately, Aussie and L'Oreal hair products are doing it for me too, especially their newer line.

I do like some of the new wave afro-textured hair care products for similar reasons.

I may splurge on boutique hair products; I especially love boutique hair butters and pomades but I never got fully into other products it for accessibility reasons.

The rest are mainstream, especially since my hair is now relaxed (and the only "salon" brand that I know of for relaxers and neutralizing shampoos is Phyto and Mazani).

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I voted salon, boutique and new wave because I use all three.

I use salon products for heat styling, boutique products for moisture and no-heat styling and new wave to supplement my boutique products because they are on the ground and therefore easy to obtain and often cheaper.

I am currently dipping my toes in old school. I have not been using it long enough to state that it works for me.

oneastrocurlie

I voted boutique and new wave. I like the mostly natural ingredients of both. My hair responds better.
However I almost bought this Keracare anti itch shampoo on clearance at Target. I used it back when I was relaxed. Smh @ myself because I got my dandruff under control a long time ago and I don't need another shampoo.

#pjproblems

ETA I'm too lazy for kitchen creations.

Ogoma

You didn't include my preferred option. I make my own stuff tailored to what my hair likes and needs. If not my own stuff, mainstream and boutique.

Last edited:

lamaria211

I voted boutique cause I loooves me some handmades but I also like keracare and mizani, Nairobi and As I Am

BranwenRosewood

I voted boutique and kitchen creations. I make my own conditioner, infused oils and grease. I buy my leave-ins from Komaza and PBN. I should have checked mainstream too since I use Suave and ORS for shampoo.

Jewell

I have to say I use all of what you listed. My stash includes everything, but due to lifestyle changes I'm steering more towards using mostly boutique natural products and commercial natural products like Nature's Gate and Avalon Organics in the future. I'm working my way through my stash in the meantime. Any replacements will be with natural stuff, except a few salon masks for specific hair needs (like Redken Extreme and Joico KPak).

Faves would be salon, boutique, and new wave. I make my own oil mixes and herbal packs.

Last edited:

xu93texas

I have products from each category. I voted Salon products as my favorite. My staples are from Redken, Joico, KeraCare, Mizani and Affirm line of products.

BranwenRosewood

Are these just personal preferences, or do the types brands you choose perform better?

It's a matter of personal preference for me. I've never tried 95% of the brands talked about here and that includes Salon, Old School, Boutique and New Wave. I started my HHJ after I started making my own body products so I decided to start making my own DC too once I figured out I needed one. I don't see the point in buying something if I can figure out how to make it myself and customize it to my needs. I also have a hard time trusting labels (even with regulations in place) due to some of the things I've seen on etsy, so making things myself gives me peace of mind.

pearcey

party pooper/balloon popper response...non-truth in ads...

once you become more interested in the ingredients in the products versus the attractive bottles and great ad campaigns, everything you think about what you are using will change.

i loved kenra, but i would use herbal essences because of the pretty colorful bottles and the catchy phrases they put on the bottles, like fun facts.

unfortunately for me, once i realized basic ingredients were the norm whether high end or drug store, and ads were just ads. my world changed and i was very unhappy.

it is hard to get excited over new products if you look beyond the mask of ads and pretty people and bottles.

so, i guess i am just "basic". now i understand how my aunt could use straight vo5's essence of jojoba shampoo in the early 80s i guess. :)

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Are these just personal preferences, or do the types brands you choose perform better?

I pick products based on ingredients, then performance. Boutique and new wave products offer the ingredients I want without the parabens, silicone, etc.