A Texturizers Thread - Pics, Info, Regimens

Gryphyn

@isawstars

I use the term interchangeably as well. In my opinion they're the same because both processes involved "under-processing" the hair purposely. However, they are technically different. Texlaxing involves using an actual relaxer and Texturizing involves using an actual texturizer. That is literally the only difference.

The salon I go to uses Mizani relaxer to texlax my hair and also used it when I was texturized. The only diff was the amount of time they left it on for. When I was fully texturized they even combed it through quite a bit and I still had beautiful curls afterwards.

Bublin

I DID IT.........

AND I LOVE IT..............:dance7:

Hair all draping on my shoulders :gorgeous: :lol:

I'm DC'ing at the moment so I will either post the first of pics when showing it wet or I'll wait until my braid out is try and then post all the pics.

Yay.

I used Just For Me and used the Half and Half Method.
I only used 1 and a half jars - my hair is very fine - and application and process altogether was 15mins each side.

Thanks for the tips ladies.

eta - 2 salons were quoting me £100 for this. :nono: It cost me £17.59 including a bottle of ORS Creamy Aloe and some dc'ing caps :lachen:

Last edited:

KinkyRN

A few questions.... I am finishing a 16 week texturizer stretch. About 4 weeks ago I put a permanent dye in my hair. Soooo I really need a touch up and I want to have less texture shrinkage is still a beast!! Question is would it be okay for me to comb all the way through my strands? Especially if I put a conditioner with cones in it to my ends to prevent over processing?

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I DID IT.........

I'm DC'ing at the moment so I will either post the first of pics when showing it wet or I'll wait until my braid out is try and then post all the pics.

Yay.

I only used 1 and a half jars - my hair is very fine - and application and process altogether was 15mins each side.

eta - 2 salons were quoting me £100 for this. :nono: It cost me £17.59 including a bottle of ORS Creamy Aloe and some dc'ing caps :lachen:

ooo excited to see pics

EnExitStageLeft

@EnExitStageLeft Me too! I really thought I was the only one here transitioning from texlaxed to texturized hair since most ladies see them as the same thing. How do you find detangling your texturized vs texlaxed hair? Do you find it easy to blend the 2 textures?

I've been debating whether I should grow my hair out to be fully natural again and then texturize, or still go for my regular touch ups and just ask my stylist to texturize my new growth...if that makes sense.

I was natural up to last year and decided to get a texturizer last summer. I loveeeeeed my hair after, but in January the owner of the salon I go to said he'd make my hair "easier to manage" and combed the relaxer all the way through to my ends without my realizing so I had texlaxed hair when I left. :fishslap: At first I thought it was pretty (I did get a lot of compliments on it) but after a couple of washes I wanted to cry when it sunk it that my curls were gone for good. I thought I would just roll with it anyway and got texlax touchups in spring and summer, but of course with my fine strands my hair started thinning, just like when I had a relaxer, so I decided to transition back to a texturizer after my last touchup.

WOOWWWW! He defnitely deserves a :fishslap: for that. I'm glad you decided to go back. I liked my texlaxed hair, but LOVE my texturize hair. I plan to leave even more texture this go round.

As for detangling, I don't really see a difference. My texturize hair is just as easy to detangle as my texlaxed hair. Then again I detangle thoroughly with a head full of product (conditioner on wash day, and moisturizer/oil at night) so that may be the reason why:)

Gryphyn

I DID IT.........

Yay.

Wow congrats!:grin:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I was texlaxed in the past, my hair was so easy to do. The problem was,that I didn't know how to retouch it. I'm going back to texturing in a year. Youtubers have more videos and I hope to get more length before I take the plunge.:yep:

Gryphyn

WOOWWWW! He defnitely deserves a :fishslap: for that. I'm glad you decided to go back. I liked my texlaxed hair, but LOVE my texturize hair. I plan to leave even more texture this go round.

As for detangling, I don't really see a difference. My texturize hair is just as easy to detangle as my texlaxed hair. Then again I detangle thoroughly with a head full of product (conditioner on wash day, and moisturizer/oil at night) so that may be the reason why:)

Thanks for the info! I think I'll give the touch ups a try then instead of investing all the time transitioning to natural first. I figured it would be easier to deal with texturized/texlaxed hair than natural/texlaxed while it grows out anyway. My next regular 12-wk touch up would have been mid-October so I'll just continue with my usual schedule :yep:

RODI

I love this thread. My last relaxer( well I used Linage texturizer) was April 2013. So I'm 8 months(36 weeks) post. But I combed out my hair with a fine teeth comb and I also have doubts if the labeling on my Linage texturizer was correct. I think the ingredients was that of a relaxer. I wished I had just held off as my last touch up before April was Dec 2012. I could have been 1 year post now.

But anywayz, I am tired of my relaxed hair and the shedding that comes with it. I love feeling the texture of natural hair. But I don't have any curl definition with my 8 months of new growth and I know I cannot maintain the high maintenance that natural hair comes with. Plus I go the the gym 6-7 days a week.

I want to wait until April for my 1 year anniversary post relaxer but I don't know if I can maintain these 2 hair textures. I am only able to style my hair in buns with gel to tame the new growth. The gel don't even give me any wave definition. I think I am 4b but my hair or rather the lack of knowing how to handle and style my hair makes my hair appear to be 4c.

I think I might texturize in January. Or get it braided in extensions or a weave(only had 1 weave a few years back).

Anyways, I hope we can keep this thread alive(like with the relaxed thread) with our experiences/products we use etc. Hopefully more texturized ladies will come over and join in this thread.

Gryphyn

My last texlax was 5 1/2 months ago now. I toyed with the idea of going natural again while I was stretching, but I think I really do prefer texturizing. I got my new growth texturized last weekend so now I have some nice volume at my roots but a very skinny ponytail. I'm going to trim my texlaxed ends off over the next year as my hair grows out. For now I just wrap some kinky bundle hair around my ponytail and make a bun so my ends look fuller and the same texture. I can't wait to have curly ends again once I get rid of all my texlaxed hair.

kimpaur

EnExitStageLeft

Quick question, I've decided to bite the bullet and texturize with the Lineage Shea Butter Texturizer and I know it's bad for your curls to comb it through, but what about raking with your fingers? Thanks!

Misseyl

I'm texturized as well and I did it with Phyto Index I. It does not look straight when it's dry. In order to get it straight, I flatiron it. 'm beginning to love this method because it makes my hair looks thicker. I've been doing this since Feb. 2013 and will reach my one year anniversary soon.

I remember when all I wanted was straight hair and it would grow to a certain length and then stop and break because I was always overlapping. Even if I protect my ends, I would still experience breakage in certain areas. I did a texlax by accident and decided that I need to continue doing this in order to reach my goal of collar bone hair all-around. I know I'm going on and on but by next year, I expect to be almost there.

m_wink

Dilemma! I have been texturized for about 4 months now. I love it but I do have a prob. When I got the texturizer I didn't want straight scraggly ends like I've seen on some women with texturizers. So I did not have the last 1-2 inches of my hair texturized. So they were natural. The outcome was actually really good. I loved it! But when it came time to flat iron my hair my ends would FRIZZ like crazy.

So today I texturized my ends but I didn't leave it on long enough so my hair is basically the same. And I flat ironed my hair and the ends still frizzed like crazy :( Now I have to wait to try again. Do I have to wait a full two months? I know I shouldn't have left my ends natural. I can't have any fun with any other hairstyle besides wash and go's! Any suggestions. Please help.

m_wink

Oh and if anyone wants to know what my hair looks like I have profile pic. For some reason it doesnt show up next to my username when I post comments.

juliehp

When I used to texturize which was years ago, I didn't have a problem with straight pieces or ends. I retained my curls and had major big hair and I loved it! I did it myself several times and also went to the salon to have it done.

naija24

hello ladies! i just found this thread and it's interesting.

back when i was natural in college, i texturized my twa and it was much more manageable but it still looked like a regular fro. when you ladies texturize, do you lose your curl pattern? do any of you smooth your hair at all?

I need photos!

Gryphyn

hello ladies! i just found this thread and it's interesting.

back when i was natural in college, i texturized my twa and it was much more manageable but it still looked like a regular fro. when you ladies texturize, do you lose your curl pattern? do any of you smooth your hair at all?

I need photos!

naija24 I have pics in my profile in my 2012 album. My stylist combs out my hair a bit, which loosens my curls, but I don't lose my curls completely. When I had tried texturizing at home I ran into the same problem you mentioned. My hair LOOKED the same but it was easier to detangle and manage. The key is to not be afraid to comb through your hair a bit during the process. I only get mine done professionally now because they do a much better job than I ever did :lol:

Misseyl

Update: I'm still texlaxing with Phyto Index I and it has been 19 weeks since my last relaxer. I normally go 16 weeks. I have been rollersetting with a mixture that consists of profectiv daily leave-in strengthener, glycerin and infusium 23. This mixture works fine in the cold weather, however, in the summer I will be using Dark & Lovely Anti-reversion lotion. I tested the lotion this week and it seems to keep my 19 weeks post texlaxed hair straight for about 3/4 days. What I did was flatironed on 300 then moisturized with Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing lotion then seal with coconut oil. I need to find a product that can get my texlaxed hair straight w/out heat. I'll continue my search to see what I come up with.

Gryphyn

9 weeks post and heading for my next touch up in mid-March. slowly cutting my straight ends off while maintaining my length.

deborah11

If you use the linage texturizer and later decide to texlax using a mild relaxer would this cause hair breakage? I have been told that you cannot switch between texturizers and hair relaxers because they use different chemicals that will cause the hair to break off if you switch between the two? Anyone know the answer to this?

greenandchic

If you use the linage texturizer and later decide to texlax using a mild relaxer would this cause hair breakage? I have been told that you cannot switch between texturizers and hair relaxers because they use different chemicals that will cause the hair to break off if you switch between the two? Anyone know the answer to this?

I know of people who switch all the time and as long as they stretch long enough between relaxers, they've been fine. Curious as to other others think though because I'm changing relaxers soon too (again).