Do you use REGULAR scissors to trim/cut ur hair or professional shears??

Tool for cutting hair

• scissors

Votes: 23 13.4%
  • shears

Votes: 149 86.6%

• Total voters

Mz.MoMo5235

well i guess i use shears.... umm, i just get some scissors from sally's or i steel scissors from my brothers clipper set (he dont need them). and i only use them for my hair i dont ever cut anything else with it.

i used regular scissors one time and when i cut a piece of hair the hair like split into 3! so every since i've been doing it this way i havent seen any issues lol

PPGbubbles

I went to sallys this week and made the investment in a good pair of shears... last trim in sept 09 I used my friends shears 4rm his clipper set. My hair stayed pretty healthy overall.

last week I used the scissors at my desk at work to S&D the leave out hair in my weave...with in 3 days it was super crazy splitsville....So I droped a good 30 on a spiffy pair at Sallys to fix the mistake. They were on sale for 32 normally 38 and I had a 5 dollar off coupon :)

FNP-2009

I agree, chickies. Spend the money, get an EXCELLENT, not a good pair of shears. AND DO NOT CUT ANYTHING ELSE WITH THEM!!!!!! I used to get sooooooooo mad when my DH would cut the tags off his clothing with MY SHEARS!!!!! A great sharp pair of shears should cut through hair like a hot knife in butter. Dull scissors split ends and give an uneven cut.
So spend the money and HIDE THEM.
Also, be aware that it is important to cleanse them properly, and store them COMPLETELY DRY!!!

Angelicus

Now that I am into haircare, I understand why my mom was so cross when I cut stuff with her hair shears.

Ladies, spend that extra dough on a good pair of shears. Those shears at Sally's that cost $7.00 are really good!

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I use regular scissors or a finger nail clipper for a single split end if I don't have scissors handy. :look:

Maybe this is why I've been seeing a lot of splits lately? I've used regular scissors to trim my hair 3 times in 2 months and the split ends come right back. I guess I'll have to invest in a pair of shears.

FNP-2009

Now that I am into haircare, I understand why my mom was so cross when I cut stuff with her hair shears.

Ladies, spend that extra dough on a good pair of shears. Those shears at Sally's that cost $7.00 are really good!
AH HA!!!!! You fiend!!!!:nono:
Oh well, now you know!!:rolleyes:

<3Curlz

OMG I definetly trim lil single strand knots with some old scissors definetly meant for paper and projects and always thought as long as I cut them it was fine.I wanna invest in some shears but I'm scared to reallyyy dust my ends lol.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I got some sharp fabric shears and use those EXCLUSIVLY for hair

LaidBak

On the rare occasion that I take scissors to my own hair I use the ones that are made for eyebrow trimming.

Tiye

I use small, pointy tip fabric scissors. They're actually better than low to mid priced hair shears and don't cause split ends. There are pricier hair shears you can get, but they're designed for professionals and salon use, with blades that can be resharpened, and resist corrosion from salon chemicals, etc., but those features aren't necessary for the occasional home trimmer.

MsDee14

I just purchased a pair of Tweezerman LTD Deluxe Hair Cutting Shears from Walgreens for $20.00. I believe most Tweezerman shears are made of good quality and it's a bonus to have that free blade sharpening lifetime guarantee(even though I may not use it)

I recently used Sheer Glory Shears from Sally's that cost $10.00 but I don't think they were sharp enough because I would still experience splits a few weeks after dusting.

CurlsBazillion

I've had a set back due to cheap hair scissors, I kept thinking it something else I was doing that caused the split ends. I am definitely in the market for a good pair of professional shears. I won't do another trim until I get them.

Babysaffy

I voted scissors. I use so called professional scissors from Boots..seem to be sharp but you ladies got me wondering. They cost around £8 (maybe $6) so not sure if that's really good quality.. I've had them for around 2-3 years now.

Maybe it's time to go to Sallys and upgrade since I do all my own trimming and do my side bang every few weeks..hmm

ETA. These are my scissors- what do you think?

http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Boots-Salon-Performance-Hairdressing-Scissors_1253687/

My ends arent the best and I do get regular splits but I think that's down to lazy practices, ie. sleeping with hair loose (on satin pillows though), flat ironing a lot and not wearing protective styles often.

Last edited: