Votes: 87 58.4%
  • Avocado Oil is best

Votes: 31 20.8%
  • They both work equally as well.

Votes: 31 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*Muffin*

Which is better, in your opinion? I currently use Coconut oil, but I'm interested in buying Avocado? Is it something worth trying, or should I just stick with Coconut Oil? TIA :).

P.S. I was interested in using Avocado Oil more as an oil to mix with my weekly DC's and not really as a leave-in oil. I currently mix coconut oil in my DC's and I wondered if Avocado Oil would work better. Sorry for not being specific :).

Last edited:

empressri

well, avocado oil is heavyyyyyyyyy!!! the coconut is more practical to use as a leave in, unless you use teensy dabs of the avocado oil, else you WILL leave oil slicks wherever you leave your head lol. ask me how i know!

*Muffin*

well, avocado oil is heavyyyyyyyyy!!! the coconut is more practical to use as a leave in, unless you use teensy dabs of the avocado oil, else you WILL leave oil slicks wherever you leave your head lol. ask me how i know!

:lachen: I was interested in using it mixed in my deep conditioner. Does it work well that way?

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Coconut oil is not greasy, keeps my hair ultra soft and does not weigh it down. For sealing, it seems to lock in my moisture well. Blah to avocado. Too greasy for me.

anon123

I like both. Coconut is lighter and avocado heavier, but I do like avocado, too. I think I like coconut oil in warmer weather, avocado in heavier, because coconut turns solid and stiff on the hair at lower temperatures.

empressri

:lachen: I was interested in using it mixed in my deep conditioner. Does it work well that way?

yep!!! but dont use too much, you only need a little for it to be effective. i loooove a mixture of elasta qp dr111, honey hemp, honey and avocado oil! i use that after an aphogee treatment

*Muffin*

I guess I'm just going to use them both in conjunction. I'll use Coconut oil for sealing/leave-in oil and Avocado oil for DC'ing. Empressri and Mwedzi, where did you buy your Avocado oil from?

*fabulosity*

My avocado oil is not heavy.. actually I think it's lighter than the coconut oil I have.. I am using the avocado oil mix from Shescenit and the a straight avocado oil from soapdish. I have the parachute coconut oil which I swear is like crisco.. (but I like it all the same!)

pri

I use and love Parachute coconut oil. It is very light and doesn't weigh my hair down at all. I use it in my DC,prepoo w/ it and use it to seal and as a scalp oil. Avocado by Spectrum is light as well and good too but I just prefer coconut oil.

PGirl

I don't know which is better but I just did a pre-poo with Replinishing Pak ORS and Avocado oil and OH my gosh it almost straightened out my NG. I am 9 weeks post and I have some nappy arse roots right now! I got the oil from Whole foods (its a small bottle and I only used a little).

I use coconut oil as well especially on my skin and I do oil pulling with it too. I think there is a thread on oil pulling. The coconut oil makes my teeth white. :grin:

Allandra

Avocado oil is much heavier than coconut oil. I would only use avocado oil as a pre-treatment or in a rinse out conditioner (not too much though).

Cleve_gryl

I prefer coconut oil to seal and as a mix in. Avocado oil is also nice, heavier but nice. It starts to get a rancid oil smell to it if you don't use it quickly :look:.

Candycat02

I bought my avocado oil from safeway and coconut oil from Whole foods. I seem to use my coconut oil more but Avocado Oil is good at sealing my ends. I also add an ounce of avocado oil to Hot Six Oil for my hot oil treatments and have had great results.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I really can't compare the two. They're like apples and oranges to me; both of them are good.

I totally agree. I Love them both especially after I found out that both penetrate the Cortex of the Hair. I think they both serve their individual purposes but I also like them, and use them, Separate as well as mixed together. I can rub coconut directly into my hair, and avacado I will add a couple of squirts to a conditioning mix.

I also have them both in a bottle mixed with a little grapeseed, almond, vitamin e & castor. And various combinations.

My Avacado Oil is also "light" not heavy at all. I think you should buy a small size of each and experiment. It is a hard decision for me to absolutely choose over the other...:perplexed

BostonMaria

The avocado oil I have isn't greasy or heavy (got it at Whole Foods) and I love it during the winter. I love using coconut oil in the summer time. In the winter it will freeze and so will your hair.

LatterGlory

I get my avocado oil from NOW Foods it's not that heavy and a little goes a long way.

I have an overly sensitive sense of smell and was not too keen on the scent the Coconut oil also from Now Foods and from my experience the coconut oil seemed greasier.

My main sealing leave-in oil of choice is Jojoba, mixed with a little Vitamin E and some avocado.

IMHO Avocado oil by itself is best as a pre poo oil.

Tene

I didn't find avocado oil to be that greasy. But the coconut oil is too greasy and weighed my hair down.

LoveLongLocks

I use both blended for deep conditioning...and after I don't have to put any product on my hair for days...works good for my hairs ph.

bravenewgirl87

I agree with the others that avocado oil is not heavy on all head types. Cocont oil is not for all hair types, especially if your hair or scalp is already dry. Avocado is moisturizing but if you're putting it into a deep conditioner then I really don't think it matters which you use.

KinkyGenius

It really depends on what you're using it for. I voted Avocado Oil. This oil took my deep conditioning step to a whole new level, it is extremely moistuirizing. And coconut oil I used as a sealant when I first started my hair journey about a year ago, but Macadamia Nut Oil and Camellia Oil work a lot better for me than Coconut Oil.

Last edited:

darlingdiva

I love avocado oil. It is the only one of the penetrative oils that doesn't make my hair crunchy (like coconut oil) or weigh it down (like olive oil) if I use it alone.

If my hair is straight, I use it as a pre-poo. If my hair is not straight, then I apply it after I put on the Aphogee 2-min. Sometimes, I use it to seal my ends.

Coconut oil has some benefits, though. It makes my skin feel wonderfully soft, and it does give my hair an amazing shine.