Dominican Challenge!!!

RabiaElaine

msniq said:
i guess i have been doing this challange already.
i go to the dom salon once a week. i shampoo at home and leave in conditioner until i get there. I use aveda hair revitalizer, humecto or something else. I drive to the shop with a cap on and a baseball hat over that.
they rinse it out and use cream rinse once. then red or gray rollers, dryer and then pin up. I rarely get a blow out because i do not like the heat on my hair. I do not go out in public with the pins in my hair and i wish EVERYONE would stop that becasue it is not cute!

Cover it up with a hat a wig or even a cute silk scarf that is fashionable and goes with you outfit and tie it the right way not like hazel!

Welcome Msniq:D ,

Question for you, since you've been on this challenge already on your own, how long has it been, and what have your results been?? Any advice for us new to the dominican challenge?

Boadicea

lkg4healthyhair said:
I am still on my challenge although i may not be able to go this week. I actually started pre conditioning with Aubrey's GPB so it was weird because I went there with it in my hair. The shampoo ladies kept asking me what I had in my hair. I told them a pre-shampoo treatment and they just looked at me weird. When she rinsed my hair she understood then, because it was very silky smooth....btw I wore a shower cap under my hat so no one could see it then took the whole thing off in one swoop while waiting to get it washed.

I've done this several times and was always looked at like I was crazy.

msniq

RabiaElaine said:
Welcome Msniq:D ,

Question for you, since you've been on this challenge already on your own, how long has it been, and what have your results been?? Any advice for us new to the dominican challenge?

i love the mamis but when it comes to chemicals and cut oh no not them. I will go to a stylist that i know and am comfortable with. My hair was longer and i listened to them regarding a protien, had to cut because of the emergencee. my hair is deciving. it looks one way and feels another. anyway I am back on track now. i love my cut but am looking for a change. My hair is healthy so that is what matters most.

I have been going to the dom. sal for the last 4 years. the longest my hair was with them was past bra strap. My only advice is to use your products and be clear on what you want.

Last edited:
L

lkg4healthyhair

Justicewifey said:
OK, I'd like to join this challenge. I have a question, once you get the blow out, how are you wearing your hair for that week? I mean since your hair will be freshly set with bounce and body, are you not wearing your hair down?

I ask this because my hair is only at the bottom of my neck right now and I dind't want to wear my hair down a week at a time because my ends would be rubbing against my clothes, but then wouldn't that defeat the style or purpose?? I hope I'm making sense, or can someone school me on the after effects and what to do??? :confused:

Btw, I plan to go every other week. The week I wash my own hair I will be wearing my phony pony. Thanks ladies!!!!

I let them wrap my hair and I wear it in buns (low or high) I don't wear my hair out and I don't use direct heat. I am trying this until the summer. Hopefully there will be some growth. My hair is about one inch past my shoulder in the back...my sides are shorter.

ReesieCup

RabiaElaine said:
What does the Motions Anti breakage oil have in it? Is it similar to wildgrowth? What is the consistency?

Motions Anti-Breakage Oil Moisturizer is a creamy consistency. I like it because it really moisturizes my hair and makes it really soft and shiny. It keeps my ends from drying out like they used to. Their original cream moisturizer is good also but I hate the smell.

I don't have the bottle with me but I remember the ingredient list including Shea Butter, Vitamin E, Panthenol, Aloe Vera, Water and Mineral Oil, Cetyl Alcohol and I think Wheat Protein, not neccesarily in that order.

RabiaElaine

msniq said:
i love the mamis but when it comes to chemicals and cut oh no not them. I will go to a stylist that i know and am comfortable with. My hair was longer and i listened to them regarding a protien, had to cut because of the emergencee. my hair is deciving. it looks one way and feels another. anyway I am back on track now. i love my cut but am looking for a change. My hair is healthy so that is what matters most.

I have been going to the dom. sal for the last 4 years. the longest my hair was with them was past bra strap. My only advice is to use your products and be clear on what you want.

Well I got my first relaxer from my dominican salon on sunday it went well, I only had one burn in the front because I was scratching my head like crazy last week. They didn't trim me because I got a trim from them about 2 weeks ago. I'll see how this goes, in terms of continuing to relax and trim there. I don't plan to trim very often anymore since my hair is healthy now and I want to retain length. I'm going to try to not get a trim until June maybe. I will dust occasionally. I liked when they trimmed my hair because they took off about 1/4 inch or less instead of the normal half inch trim or more that other stylist have given me.

Do you wash there every week? How short was you hair when you started 4 years ago? Do you attribute the growth to their techniques of getting your hair straight and smooth?

Thanks for the advice :).

PoeticJustice

Hey RabiaElaine,

Thanks for the clarification, makes more sense to me now and I'm more eager to jump on the bandwagon!! Btw, congratulations on the length you achieved from your touch-up.. you grow girl! :D

RabiaElaine said:
Hi Justice,

Welcome :wave: to the Dominican challenge.

Speaking for myself. My hair is also at mid/lower neck level now since I got my relaxer on sunday :grin: , anyway I wear my hair down some days but I don't wear turtlenecks or anything, and most of my shirts have wide necks so my hair isn't long enough to rest on it (YET ;) :p ). My hair does rest on my wool coat if I have it down though, so I wear a pretty silk scarf around my neck in that case and have it rest over the collar. Or I put my hair up in a clip until I get to the office or home so that I can take off my coat. Other days I wear my hair in my new phony pony or other assisted buns as I describe in my album. The last week before my relaxer I only wore my hair in my phony pony because I didn't want to mess with my hair too much.

The point of the dominican challenge is not really the style but the techniques that they use to get your hair silky straight and smooth, decreasing breakage at the line of demarcation or from you using to many heating tools to make your hair straight. I wrap my hair at night to keep it smooth. I did not wrap it the week before relaxing because I did not want to manipulate my hair too much.

I hope this helps.

RabiaElaine

Justicewifey said:
Hey RabiaElaine,

Thanks for the clarification, makes more sense to me now and I'm more eager to jump on the bandwagon!! Btw, congratulations on the length you achieved from your touch-up.. you grow girl! :D

You're welcome Justice, and thanks for the compliment;) .

msniq

Went to the salon today (big smistake too crowded) well it was fine I did how ever have to break down and let them blow the very front a little because of the roller marks which is not common. After that she wrapped it up and i put on my hat and went home.

I did see someone that I wanted to talk to but missed her. SHe got a trip and doobie but instead of wrapping it up she had the stylist put her hair in a high pony tail (her hair was just about shoulder length) and then roll the hair forward and then pin it under. kinda like using her fingers as the roller. I hope that make s sence. anyway i wanted to know how it comes out when she takes it down if she takes it down unless this is her protective style. The ponytail is not tight but tight enough that it was not droopy. Is there anyone here that does that and can share with us how this helps and what benefit it is?

Thanks

L

lkg4healthyhair

msniq said:
I did see someone that I wanted to talk to but missed her. SHe got a trip and doobie but instead of wrapping it up she had the stylist put her hair in a high pony tail (her hair was just about shoulder length) and then roll the hair forward and then pin it under. kinda like using her fingers as the roller. I hope that make s sence. anyway i wanted to know how it comes out when she takes it down if she takes it down unless this is her protective style. The ponytail is not tight but tight enough that it was not droopy. Is there anyone here that does that and can share with us how this helps and what benefit it is?

Thanks

I have never seen anyone do this in a salon, so I can't say their results for sure...but I put my hair in a large magnetic roller on top of my head at night (no ponytail). When I take it down in the am it still has bounce and the ends have curl.

When I get home with my dobbie that is how I wear my hair overnight(except I roll it under instead of over. It keeps it from being flat from the wrap...I wear my hair in a bun or tucked under every day.

Ladylynn

Hi ladies, I would like to join this challenge, however, my regime will be a little different. I will wash my hair twice a week and do a deep condition weekly. I'll also roller set my hair twice weekly and air dry over night. In the morning, I'll release the rollers, flat iron the roots of my hair with my 1/2 inch ceramic flat iron on a low setting, then wrap my hair for about 30 minutes. At night, I'll wrap with a silk scarf. Could anyone recommend a daily moisturizer for my hair that would not cause my hair to loose it's bounce? Thanks.

RabiaElaine

Ladylynn said:
Hi ladies, I would like to join this challenge, however, my regime will be a little different. I will wash my hair twice a week and do a deep condition weekly. I'll also roller set my hair twice weekly and air dry over night. In the morning, I'll release the rollers, flat iron the roots of my hair with my 1/2 inch ceramic flat iron on a low setting, then wrap my hair for about 30 minutes. At night, I'll wrap with a silk scarf. Could anyone recommend a daily moisturizer for my hair that would not cause my hair to loose it's bounce? Thanks.

Welcome to the challenge Lady :wave:

Your regimen sounds fine to me. For a moisturizer I use WGO or Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter. They don't way my hair down as long as I don't use too much.

msniq

Hi,
Went to the salon today.....
i washed at home with cream of nature conditioner aveda deep revitalizing left it on and drove to the salon with a cap and base ball hat on.

Rollerset with red. wrapped up and pinned. I will take it out tomorrow. i did have to have a roller mark blown out in front but that was it. Hair still doing well and growing!

I forgot berfore i washed i used the phyto pre shampoo oil nectar. It was nice too. I t took a while to wash out but seems to agree with my hair

Last edited:

Ladylynn

hey ladies, how's the challenge going so far. I'm still setting my hair. I went back to drying under the dryer. I dry on low for 30 minutes, then on cool for like an hour and half to two hours. My hair is really healthy. I'm still searching for the ultimate leave in though. Also, I cut off about 4 inches of hair since the challenge to get rid of my thin dry ends. I'm also still flat ironing the new growth only.

BamaBelle

Okay... I'm late... But better late than not at all! I have been visiting Clary's Salon on West 228th Street in the Bronx for the past 4 weeks. My regimen includes:

Once a week (Wednesday or Friday)~
* Wash with Alter Ego Linseed Shampoo
* Deep Condition with Simone G. Triple Action Conditioner with Steam
* Rinse/Light Condition with Alter Ego Linseed Conditioner
* Leave-in Conditioner (prior to roller set) Redken Extreme Anti-Snap
* After blow drying, apply Alter Ego Glossifer
* Apply MTG to scalp every three days and KeraCare Essential Oils to hair as needed
* Sleep with scarf
* Caruso rollers, if needed

I will not be touching up my relaxer until I have at least two-finger width of new growth, as agreed upon by my stylist, Ana Brigida (don't you love that name?)... We have not yet discussed trims...

Ladylynn

I don't have any growth updates that I can show right now (I'm at lunch), but I can say that my hair has gotten extremely healthy. I have not had to use the flat iron for the new growth ever since I corrected my underprocessed areas with ORS relaxer. Lately I have been doing braid outs because of the Georgia humidity. This has since dried out my ends. I'm thinking about going back on this challenge for the next three months. I'll add moisturizing my ends nightly and sleeping with magnetic rollers. This will ensure my ends get the much needed moisture it needs.

mahogany66

I am DOWN for the challenge. I have mastered the dominican rollerset now. I conwash my hair and rollerset on WED's and on sunday I do a poo wash , dc and rollerset. I haven't had a blowdryer, curling iron, or flat iron on my hair in months... But, I will go to the salon for my perms and trims..:)

JLove74

sherylin123 said:
ms_keenesha,
can you please tell me where the dominican salons are in the dc metro area?

There are quite a few. Do you want the ones in DC or in NoVA and MD too?

My fave is Visions in Adam's Morgan if I want the full blow out, $35. For just wash and set I go to Giovani Hair Design, also in Adams Morgan and only $25.

MiWay

sherylin123 said:
Thanks Jlove...any in MD?

There's Jaselvis, Luisa's and Arelis (sp?) all in Silver Spring. Those are the only ones I know of. I go to Jaselvis, and I love it. I used to go to Luisa's, but wasn't real happy with the service or the quality of styling...all they could do was blow it out and wrap it back up. They may have gotten better. A friend of mine goes to Arelis and loves it.