Why do you add lemon juice to henna?

Hareitiz

The lemon juice releases the dye in the henna. I've never used it, I use red wine vinegar sometimes.

MissFallon

Hareitiz said:
The lemon juice releases the dye in the henna. I've never used it, I use red wine vinegar sometimes.

Do you have to add it or will the color release on its own? I heard adding Amla oil releases the dye also, is this true?

LaNecia

MissFallon said:
Do you have to add it or will the color release on its own? I heard adding Amla oil releases the dye also, is this true?

It will release color on its own but it will take a lot longer than if you used a terping agent. I've never tried Amla Oil in my mixes, I do not add oils until AFTER the color has released. I prefer to use Amla POWDER in the henna mix, this works as a terp also because of its high citric acid base.

JLove74

I don't use lemon juice or any kind of terp and the color releases within 4-5 hours. I use Reshma brand henna

Hareitiz

MissFallon said:

You don't have to use it, I've mixed henna with just EVOO and water and there was a color release, alma oil will probably release the color too, because of the citric acid in the alma.

AKA-Tude

My mix was w/acv & olive oils first, in the fridge overnite, then I added amla right b4 I applied it.

I won't do acv cuz it made my hair hard (even though this was corrected after conditioning). I think I will do coffee & amla oil first, then add olive &/or coconut oils.

Isis

JLove74 said:
I don't use lemon juice or any kind of terp and the color releases within 4-5 hours. I use Reshma brand henna
I checked out your album and I love the color and shine of your hair!:) Is it the amla oil that gives you a darker color or the brand of henna?