Curly Girl The Handbook - Let's Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
wavezcurlz

Is that a wash n go in your siggy? It's beautiful. I can't wait until I find the time to sit down and really do a wash n go.

Thanks!
Actually, it is a frizzy twist-out that is on day two. My wash n go's shrink to my frickin' ears almost (LOL) and they are more wavy than curly. I think I'm doing something wrong. I can't wait to try the CG method.

thecurlycamshow

I bought the second edition on my Kindle and it has great information. I love WNGs and the CG method just compliment WNGs to me. The main difference is my hair is becoming more hydrated and that's why I'm loving the CG.

Lucia

I've had the book for a couple years now and it started my conditioner only regimen.
My hairs always moisturized and the curls pop easier, easier detangling and I retain like crazy. Giving up shampoos sulfate or no sulfate has saved my curls.
All I do now is DC weekly, CW rinse, put the same conditioner back in I use a good amount over coconut oil LOC method then braid or twist. I wear buns for everyday, on weekends I let my hair down with the WnG.
I still use KCCC or eco styler over my leave in conditioner for wash n go styling, my goal is to get away from that and only use conditioner only for styling.

Last edited:

MsLauren

Missigirl said:
MsLauren I have it on my kindle but it doesn't show the videos, I have also downloaded it to my computer and it still doesn't show the videos. I have the cheapest kindle. Is there something I can do so I can see the videos??

I have no idea how to help you. I have an iPad and downloaded the kindle app.

Lucia

Speaking of curly girl method:
I was at Ulta store/salon today picking up some Devacurl one condition, going to give it a trial it could be a good back up product. So one of the stylists asks if I need help well I as about Devacurl and Ouidad's newer products. She's got straight highlighted edgy haircut going on, but she knew all the lingo no poo, low poo, knew about shrinkage, curl definition etc... I was happily surprised that she was up on all the terms but also knew what was going on especially she's a straight hair.

winona

I like the recipes mostly. I really want to get away from poo every week even though it is heavily diluted. I feel like I poo out of habit not necessity. Also I use cones and I am terrified that I will have buildup and not notice resulting in my hair getting hard and falling out. i know that is overly dramatic:ohwell:

Poo=6oz distilled water, 0.5oz elucence moisture poo, 0.5oz oil (whatever I need to use up)

Aicer

@Aicer

heres a vid explaining it in depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJmOpcyylYs

http://www.youtube.com/user/MahoganyCurls/videos she has lots of vids where she talks about it in depth

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

My routine is simple really
1-wash once a week with tresemme naturals
2-brush/comb shed hair out
3-rinse out then apply rasshoul clay i leave this in overnight rinse out in morning
4-apply gel which takes me 20-30 mins and diffuse hair i used to leave to airdry but this just takes to damn long diffusing and im done in 30 mins

thats it my hair no longer frizzes out like CRAZY and my curl pattern is much more defined my fotki shows some products i use its not fancy :lol:

The book isnt expensive imo and is worth it people spend more on hair conditioner :drunk:

Thanks for the youtube links. I've been researching this method and was thinking about trying it. But wondering should I buy the book too.

I guess all it is is co-wash with a conditioner without cones, finger-comb, leave a little in and use gel on top while its wet, let it dry without touching, never use shampoo and deep condition when needed. That's about the just of what I've been reading about the method and not much else.

And good idea about using the clay I guess it cleans without the stripping.

Is there other vital stuff in the book that needs to be done for the curly method?

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I have both books. I love the cd and have been watching you tube videos. I'm a visual person so the addition of the cd and the you tube videos have been very helpful for me. I have been paying a lot attention to Mahogany Curls on you tube. She's a type 3 and I'm all 4a but everything she has shared has been great. I've even changed my reggie a bit because of her. Her routine is so simple.

The most significant change for me is the cutting out of cones. HUGE difference :yep:.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Thanks for the youtube links. I've been researching this method and was thinking about trying it. But wondering should I buy the book too.

I guess all it is is co-wash with a conditioner without cones, finger-comb, leave a little in and use gel on top while its wet, let it dry without touching, never use shampoo and deep condition when needed. That's about the just of what I've been reading about the method and not much else.

And good idea about using the clay I guess it cleans without the stripping.

Is there other vital stuff in the book that needs to be done for the curly method?
Gel without alcohol.
I use Terressentials Mud wash for clarifying and it is great.

Missigirl

I have no idea how to help you. I have an iPad and downloaded the kindle app.

That is okay I will figure something out. I am a visual person also. I love to read and then watch someone actually do what I just read. I have been living on youtube looking for all of the curly girls I can find.

I am going to get some more of my mud I love the lavendar one. I am using conditioner only so I can use up my stash. I went to GNC and bought some aloe vera jel I really think I like it better than eco styler.

*Frisky*

Love this book. It was free at Ulta with the purchase of the travel kit. My hair has done a 180. I have been sleeping with conditioner and that has made the biggest difference. I also pack my crown with conditioner and it does not frizz anymore. I will begin using my steamer once per week.

ShiShiPooPoo

Can you give a little more detail about this? Do you rinse the conditioner out as some point or leave it in?

blazingthru

I am currently a Curly Girl.

I brought the book on my kindle but not the DVD, To many Youtube videos. My regiment is to wash my hair twice a month, I use teressentials (sp), the MUD, I love it. Great cleansing, softeness and the best part detangler.

I use Tresemme naturals I add a large dollap and work it through my hair scrunching it up front side to side and back then rinse and do it again this time leaving some in. when I get out the shower I use the same conditioner and go section by section and run it through with my fingers, I make small curly q's and shake it and leave it to dry. then I style it...... At night I just put a bonnet over my head and go to sleep. I don't do anything else.

In the morning.I add warm water to my spray bottle and spray my hair, really good, and scrunch it up. but my hair is loose so shaking works for me and put its back in the same style. I love it. I start all over on the third day. I purchased 8 bottles of Conditioner and I am down to five and I purchased this back in October, but I wasn't consistent because it got cold. So now that its getting warmer I am more and more excited about sticking to it and I get so many compliments about my curls. I say you got curls too but they can't believe that or that I don't use shampoo. Won't believe it. I haven't used shampoo an well over a year.

I like the curly girl method and plan to stick to it. Oh deep conditioning once a month. I do go to the salon, but I am thinking about finding someone that can cut my hair on the curl and not blow it out which I hate. I also hate wearing my hair straight. So thats out for a while. I heard its very expensive so this is probably something I am going to have to learn.
In my opinion, this is very very low maintance. its easy to take care of there isn't much to do. I have gotten rid of a lot of stress regarding my hair. Because if I am heading out and didn't do my hair I can still pull it back into a bun. Wet the front really good add some conditioner and make swirls and curlies and let them dry and pull them apart before I get to where I am going and have a very cute style.

I am desiring to see how this thing is going to work out if I stick to it for six months. I saved tones of money the conditioner is like what four dollars and I get a coupon to buy one get one all the time. Target is always putting them on sale so I buy three or four at a time. I have about 12 but gave some away. My hair likes the natural one with out any added anything and thats cool with me.

OH I brought the products from CG I hate it so much ugh, didn't work for me. But I did see a video and the girl said she only uses her products in the summer so I will wait before I tossed it out. It cost me a pretty penny and I absolutely hate it. it makes me itch. and Tresemme does not.

blazingthru

I bought the second edition on my Kindle and it has great information. I love WNGs and the CG method just compliment WNGs to me. The main difference is my hair is becoming more hydrated and that's why I'm loving the CG.

Loved your video. How long have you been a CG.... I am so loving it too. trying to get my friends and family onboard but when my hair starts swinging again, they'll come around.

blazingthru

I have both books. I love the cd and have been watching you tube videos. I'm a visual person so the addition of the cd and the you tube videos have been very helpful for me. I have been paying a lot attention to Mahogany Curls on you tube. She's a type 3 and I'm all 4a but everything she has shared has been great. I've even changed my reggie a bit because of her. Her routine is so simple.

The most significant change for me is the cutting out of cones. HUGE difference :yep:.

MahoganyCurls is the number one reason why I decided to do it she made it so simple and I found that it is exactly that simple.

BillsBackerz67

I have not bought the book...only because the youtube vidoes, threads, and blogs explain it in great detail :lol: Im seeing great results. I dont follow it down to an exact science but for the most part I am cone free and havent used any shampoos with sulfates :yep:

Status
Not open for further replies.