Biotin, Silica or MSM -- does one work better?

Which worked better for your hair?

• Biotin

Votes: 39 24.5%
  • Silica

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • MSM

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • None of them worked for me

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I use them all!

Votes: 66 41.5%

• Total voters

msbettyboop

n_vizion said:
Hair4today, thanks so much for sharing your feedback on the bamboo tea! I absolutely fell in love with it the first time I tried it. I'm a huge proponent of taking supplements in liquid form because it doesn't have to go through the digestive process (like capsules), where stomach acids and other factors are involved. I think liquid is the best way to get the nutrient into our bloodstream, kinda like juicing.

Jetercrazed, You are absolutely right about green tea being sold under the name "bamboo tea." Which is why I got so excited when I found this little gem. These are organically grown bamboo leaves which have been prepared to release their silica "goodness" during brewing. From what I understand, the bamboo plant is so tough/strong, that if I just boiled the leaves, they wouldn't produce the same result. Best of all the taste is extremely light which makes for a perfect hot or cold tea. I actually prefer it on ice.

n_vizion, I take omega 369 and about to start a broad multivitamin minus biotin. Is it okay to take the tea as well in combination?

n_vizion

n_vizion, I take omega 369 and about to start a broad multivitamin minus biotin. Is it okay to take the tea as well in combination?

Sure you can. The silica is unique from the essential fatty acids and multivitamin. There should be no concern with introducing silica to your nutritional regimen.

LilMissRed

I cant officially vote yet. :look: I've just recently started taking silica and biotin together AND I drink bamboo tea :look:

my nails look nice tho :yep:

xomonaijax

Hair4today, thanks so much for sharing your feedback on the bamboo tea! I absolutely fell in love with it the first time I tried it. I'm a huge proponent of taking supplements in liquid form because it doesn't have to go through the digestive process (like capsules), where stomach acids and other factors are involved. I think liquid is the best way to get the nutrient into our bloodstream, kinda like juicing.

Jetercrazed, You are absolutely right about green tea being sold under the name "bamboo tea." Which is why I got so excited when I found this little gem. These are organically grown bamboo leaves which have been prepared to release their silica "goodness" during brewing. From what I understand, the bamboo plant is so tough/strong, that if I just boiled the leaves, they wouldn't produce the same result. Best of all the taste is extremely light which makes for a perfect hot or cold tea. I actually prefer it on ice.

Hey hun love your blog btw, how much is shipping to the UK for a combo of the bags (60 days worth) and loose leaves ? I love tea so for health this perfect for me. TIA :)

NaturalUM07

This seems rather interesting. I just looked up an article about Silica and it states that not much research has been done about it's health benefits or risks. So you all may not have much success in finding academic support (if you are in college try to access journals form your university library). So, if you have some major concerns it might be wise to ask a physician, pharmacist, or chemist. Just thought I'd share what I came across.

Also, I am currently using Biotin and I'm not sure if it is doing much for my hair. I had some pretty decent growth before using it. I've also used MSM but not consistently so I can't help there either. For those that are taking MSM do you add it to anything (i.e. tea, juice, coffee)? I can't stand the taste of it in water alone.

HHG everyone.

Last edited:

msbettyboop

My nails were weak and splitting before but they're coming along quite nicely now. It's too soon to give a definite analysis on the hair growth results.

vtoodler

I've been taking MSM powder and Silica from Horsetail(pill form) for about a year now. I've been able to grow and retain a good amount of hair even with my 7months of monthly 1/4-1/2in trims. I'd never heard of Bamboo Silica though...I need to look into that. Everytime I try Biotin my already acne prone skin goes nuts so I've never taken it long enough to know of any benefits.

longhairdreaming

Swanson Vitamins makes bamboo silica: http://tinyurl.com/8cpbtrl

SoopremeBeing

The Hair Skin and Nails vitamin I take has 3mg of Biotin, and 3mg of HorseTail Extract. Silica is listed under "Other Ingredients" so it's probably just a filler.

I used to have the GNC grand of Biotin, and it did nothing for me. And it was more expensive. This vitamin is the Target brand, much cheaper, my hair grows in thicker, but my nails are long, strong, and SHARP!

I personally would recommend a multivitamin, not a big fan of taking millions of pills. If you can find a mix of all 3 in one vitamin, go for it!

Aireen

Currently I'm taking all three. I've taken silica before and it made my nails grow strong and fast, even when my nails broke, I didn't have to worry because it grew back within a week. I presume it does the same for hair but I honestly wasn't paying attention. All I know is silica is amazing for stubborn nails that just won't stop breaking.

jenaccess

I am talking all three since Jan 2012. In the beginning I was taking the supplements religiously then I slack up some, now I am back to my daily does.
I have faster growth, thicker hair, great skin and less aching joints.

reicee

You have lovely hair. I too take msm along with my prenatal, biotin faithfully. I have recently just started taking trinessa birth control. I'm kind of nervous about how the birth control will affect my hair. My hair has grown a lot since I've been taking my supplements and its so thick pretty and healthy. My goal is waist length and I have a long way to go but ill get there :)

reicee

Silica? Okay this is new to me, once I get use to something I find something new. I'm sacred to do silica. I have to look into that one. Now bamboo tea I can do.

Jewell

Ive used all 3 for yrs. With MSM (1,000 mg/day) I noticed less shedding, and softer NG. Biotin and silica I seem to notice changes in my nails with faster hair growth.

manter26

Silica made my body hair on my legs and underarms really fine. It's the only hair on my body that wasn't fine. I stopped taking silica because I don't want the hair on my head to change. I can barely see the strands as it is.

GeorginaSparks

Silica made my body hair on my legs and underarms really fine. It's the only hair on my body that wasn't fine. I stopped taking silica because I don't want the hair on my head to change. I can barely see the strands as it is.
was a drastic change in fineness? i dont have thick strands. did it help with length?

genesislocks

I've only taken 2 of the 3, Here's my take:

Silica

The Good: Silica just works lol I looooove it. My skin feels hydrated and buttery soft, my hair looked soft and shiny. I second Jewell about nail growth. My nails with silica got longer and stronger. Even my "trouble" nails improved tremendously.

The Bad: You have to be picky with the brand. You can't go cheap with silica. I've only used Flora Vegetal Silica with is a good $27-$30 per bottle :/ ....not cheap. Might have to switch to the oceanic silica. The good news is, You can still get plenty of silica from foods like green beans and bananas.

Biotin

The Good: I just started taking biotin a couple months ago. Only about 800mcg per day. BUT my hair is growing like a weed. Not quite as shiny and baby soft when I was taking silica...but it's growing really really fast. I measured my hair on the 21st and it ranged from 10.5/11inches to 12.3ishinches all around. I measured yesterday to give myself a trim and many areas were at least half an inch longer. It's a shame I had to trim it! :look:

The Bad: I don't think it's done anything else for my nails yet. So far I've only seen a difference in my hair growth rate. Also, I feel like biotin makes me thirsty :lick: I've been obeying my thirst...but it's unquenchable man. :lol:

MSM

I've never taken msm, but I've heard some good things. Are there any crazy side effects I should know about? :look:

Reactions: JFK

Fhrizzball

I've only taken 2 of the 3, Here's my take:

Silica

The Good: Silica just works lol I looooove it. My skin feels hydrated and buttery soft, my hair looked soft and shiny. I second @Jewell about nail growth. My nails with silica got longer and stronger. Even my "trouble" nails improved tremendously.

The Bad: You have to be picky with the brand. You can't go cheap with silica. I've only used Flora Vegetal Silica with is a good $27-$30 per bottle :/ ....not cheap. Might have to switch to the oceanic silica. The good news is, You can still get plenty of silica from foods like green beans and bananas.

Biotin

The Good: I just started taking biotin a couple months ago. Only about 800mcg per day. BUT my hair is growing like a weed. Not quite as shiny and baby soft when I was taking silica...but it's growing really really fast. I measured my hair on the 21st and it ranged from 10.5/11inches to 12.3ishinches all around. I measured yesterday to give myself a trim and many areas were at least half an inch longer. It's a shame I had to trim it! :look:

The Bad: I don't think it's done anything else for my nails yet. So far I've only seen a difference in my hair growth rate. Also, I feel like biotin makes me thirsty :lick: I've been obeying my thirst...but it's unquenchable man. :lol:

MSM

I've never taken msm, but I've heard some good things. Are there any crazy side effects I should know about? :look:

The only side effects I experienced with MSM is breast growth and random dreams. If you adjust your dosage that goes away. I mix mine in with orange juice as I can't stand the taste though. It would go well if you do smoothies and juices though.

LadyEuphoria007

I just started taking all 3 of them on 20 Dec. I take: Biotin -1000mg, Horsetail Grass - 1760 mg, MSM - 2600 mg.

I've not had any adverse affects as of now and I also read that MSM is great for curing eczema and I did notice an improvement in my skin about a week after starting the supplements.

genesislocks

The only side effects I experienced with MSM is breast growth and random dreams. If you adjust your dosage that goes away. I mix mine in with orange juice as I can't stand the taste though. It would go well if you do smoothies and juices though.

Thanks I think Ill give it a shot! How much boobage growth? Must be a great brand you're using, cus that sounds like a pretty good side effect to me lol. Strange dreams as in nightmares Or just alice in wonderland stuff?

Fhrizzball

Thanks I think Ill give it a shot! How much boobage growth? Must be a great brand you're using, cus that sounds like a pretty good side effect to me lol. Strange dreams as in nightmares Or just alice in wonderland stuff?

I use the Vitamin Shoppe MSM powder brand. I take 4000 mg a day with a glass or orange juice. For me I went up up 1 cup size and I'm not complaining. It really helps my joints when I workout as well. As for the dreams I was doing double the dosage and they just got really trippy weird but not nightmare-esque. I kinda miss them though.:lachen:

DominicanBrazilian82

I've been using all three for some time now... Biotin and MSM since June and Bamboo since October. I've been very consistent with taking all of them and can't really say which is working the best overall. I will say that I got good growth (probably about an inch a month) before starting Bamboo... Bamboo has worked to really soften my hair and add shine. I'm going to continue to use all three indefinitely.