RIP: Karyn Washington, Founder Of Empowering Site For Brown Girls And #DarkSkinRedLip

naturalmanenyc

http://madamenoire.com/419330/karyn-washington-founder-empowering-site-brown-girls-commits-suicide/

RIP: Karyn Washington, Founder Of Empowering Site For Brown Girls And #DarkSkinRedLip, Commits Suicide

We had the opportunity to talk to Karyn Washington, founder of the website For Brown Girls, and mind behind the project, #DarkSkinRedLip, on more than one occasion for the site. The young woman launched her website in order to celebrate the beauty of black women who don’t always feel the love out here, and pushed the project #DarkSkinRedLip to encourage black women of all shades to embrace wearing red lipstick after rapper A$AP Rocky said that women of darker complexions shouldn’t rock it. That project, like For Brown Girls, was about empowering. That’s what Washington was all about:

“When the blog was initially created, my cousin and I were dealing with self-esteem issues relating to our complexion and we would vent to each other. Through talking it out and building each other up, we felt better but also didn’t like the fact that we were even having these feelings to begin with. We also realized that other girls may be going through the same thing and wanted to use Tumblr as a means to vent, encourage others and overcome. Since then, I have gained a greater passion for the cause and helping others.”

But while empowering and supporting black women through her endeavors, at the same time, Washington was also facing some struggles, reportedly depression and mental illness, and they eventually became too much for her.

Sadly, Washington, passed away on April 8 at the age of 22, reportedly committing suicide. This is a major blow for all who were fans of her amazing work, as well as her friends, including blogger and friend Aliyah:

When I look at you I see a reflection of myself and most certainly that is why this hurts so badly. From now on I’ll forever remember your big beautiful smile, your charm, ambition, professionalism, entrepreneurship, confidence, humility, your drive, and your beautiful Brown Skin. That is what I’ll choose to remember… because to be honest, I’m a bit angry with you. Indeed I’m being selfish, but my heart is devastated- yet, because I know a tad bit about what you were going through I can understand. I’m guilt tripping because I wish I could’ve been there for you a little bit more. I’m so sorry, but I can’t help but to think that with just a little bit more time or a little less distance, proximity would’ve allowed me to make, maybe the slightest difference…. Forgive me!

We’ve spoken about the struggle of dealing with depression and mental illness on this site, and the propensity for many people of color to pass on seeking help and counseling because of worry of public opinion and shame. With losses like these, it’s even more important to spread the word about the realities of these internal battles. Washington was a woman who made a difference and her push to remind us as sistas of our beauty was major. Continue to support it and to spread love, as Washington so loved to do.

DayStar

Re: RIP: Karyn Washington, Founder Of Empowering Site For Brown Girls And #DarkSkinRe

wow, this is crazy.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Re: RIP: Karyn Washington, Founder Of Empowering Site For Brown Girls And #DarkSkinRe

What is going on! This is too much. RIP

ThatJerseyGirl

22 years young? What in the world is going on??? I'm am so hurt....

First LHDC2011 (R.I.P) now this young lady.

Smiley79

Aww, 22 years old. My goodness. This is very sad. Mental Illness is so real and so many people really need help with this issue.

Jace032000

Wow...just wow. What on Earth was she going through to make her take her own life??!!

Holla

Are they sure it was suicide? How did she die?

I'm not saying that it is not possible, but I'd like to know that investigators are SURE there was no other cause of death and that no one else played a role in her passing. I would hate to think that some investigator just ruled it as a suicide because they didn't want to deal with a dead BLACK girl. :perplexed