Sally Beauty confirms data breach

prettyinpurple

I know that a lot of you shop there.

Sally Beauty confirmed Monday that hackers broke into the supplier’s network, stealing the payment data of up to 25,000 customers.

The information stolen included payment card numbers and the three-digit security codes, known as CVV numbers, the company said. The retailer said it does not store customers’ personal identification numbers (PINs).

Customers will be notified if their information was stolen, said Sally Beauty, which is advising shoppers to check their bank statements for suspicious transactions. The company did not provide details on the nature of the breach, including whether it affected only shoppers who came into a store or also those who shopped online.

The confirmation follows a statement by Sally Beauty this month that said it detected a breach Feb. 24 but had no evidence that customers’ data had been stolen. The breach was first reported by security blogger Brian Krebs.

Krebs wrote that Sally Beauty probably had been attacked by the same hackers who stole more than 100 million customers’ data from Target.

Sally Beauty said that it was working with Verizon Enterprise Solutions and the Secret Service to investigate the breach.

“As experience has shown in prior data security incidents at other companies, it is difficult to ascertain with certainty the scope of a data security breach/incident prior to the completion of a comprehensive forensic investigation,” the company said in a statement. “As a result, we will not speculate as to the scope or nature of the data security incident.”

A spokeswoman for Verizon Enterprise Solutions confirmed that the company was investigating the breach but did not provide details.

The attack makes Sally Beauty the latest retailer in the crosshairs of hackers. In addition to Target, Neiman Marcus and Michaels also suffered data breaches last year. The attacks have sparked debates in Washington on updating the nation’s breach notification laws and its payment systems.

Sally Beauty sells and distributes professional products in more than 2,700 stores across the country. The Texas-based company has $3.6 billion in annual revenue.

From http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a2e19bf4-86a3-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394&hpid=z15

HanaKuroi

I am so sick of this crap! Target, Michaels, Sally? I am tired of getting new cards. I can't carry around cash. Maybe I should start. Or buy prepaid cards.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

nerdography

I'm going to start carrying cash from now on. I've gotten three new cards in the last six months. I'm sick of it.

prettyinpurple

I'm going to start carrying cash from now on. I've gotten three new cards in the last six months. I'm sick of it.

I'm so tired of new cards too. I wish the thieves would target some different bank customers or stores for once. :ohwell:

You must be vigilant at ATMs too, someone cloned my card, knew my PIN and withdrew a lot of $$ using an ATM from a different bank. Luckily my bank sends me security alerts right away and they gave my $$ and fees paid back to me after I called.

I assume they got my PIN from an ATM or some store's PIN pad. I'm vigilant about that now and try to use cash. The bank mentioned ordering delivery food over the phone and giving a CC # as another way to get acct info, so I pay cash for that now too.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

I'm so tired of new cards too. I wish the thieves would target some different bank customers or stores for once. :ohwell:

You must be vigilant at ATMs too, someone cloned my card, knew my PIN and withdrew a lot of $$ using an ATM from a different bank. Luckily my bank sends me security alerts right away and they gave my $$ and fees paid back to me after I called.

I assume they got my PIN from an ATM or some store's PIN pad. I'm vigilant about that now and try to use cash. The bank mentioned ordering delivery food over the phone and giving a CC # as another way to get acct info, so I pay cash for that now too.

This burns me up!!! I have gotten about 5 new cards over the last couple of years. I think my incidents were from shopping online though. I check my bank account several times a day cause I refuse to get got. I did shop at Sally's recently but I checked my receipt and I paid cash.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I am so sick of this crap! Target, Michaels, Sally? I am tired of getting new cards. I can't carry around cash. Maybe I should start. Or buy prepaid cards.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

HanaKuroi

Get a separate checking account for only shopping. Keep a minimum amount of cash in it and only transfer money to it when you want to go shopping. This way, if it's ever compromised, the thieves will only get a minimum amount of money and it won't effect your "real" accounts.