Frozen hair

ravenhairedcharm

Hello ladies. If any of you live up north and are experiencing temperatures of 0 degrees and below :cold: (today was around -10 for me) then you may know what I'm about to talk about. My hair is literally freezing when I go outside! :blush: I wore a braid out today, and by the end of my 10-15 minute walk to class, the ends of my hair were covered in what appeared to be white frost!! It was literally frozen! This has never happened to me before, so that's why I'm so shocked :spinning: I don't use coconut oil (which I know hardens at a certain temp), I checked all my products (ALL 2 of them lol) and none of them have coconut oil, so my hair is literally freezing out here yalll. That can't be good for my hair right?? But seriously, what I would like to know is if this can be prevented? and How? I was thinking about coating my hair in oil before stepping outside tomorrow. That may be able to do the trick. The other option is to wear a hat everyday , which I hate!

Thanks in advance :peace:

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
With this extreme weather you need to wear a hat with a liner or silk scarf to protect your tresses from exposure.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

krikit96

I would say wear your hair in a bun or a pony with everything under a scarf... If you have to walk, and you just HAVE to wear a braid out, or have your hair out, then you should wear a scarf under your hood... and then unwrap yourself once you arrive to your destination.

ravenhairedcharm

I would say wear your hair in a bun or a pony with everything under a scarf... If you have to walk, and you just HAVE to wear a braid out, or have your hair out, then you should wear a scarf under your hood... and then unwrap yourself once you arrive to your destination.

I really don't want to wear a hat, because it messes my hair up when I take it off. But I guess this is the only option....:ohwell: Hopefully it gets warmer sooner rather than later!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
It's -1°F here today. The type of weather that requires a hat friendly hair style.

One of the best things you can do is wrap a scarf around your hair then put on a hat. I also used to wrap my hair then take it down in the bathroom at work. Either way, protect your head.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Avoid anything containing Coconut Oil (or a derivative) it will freeze but melt in the warmth.

Cold Weather is super damaging to both Hair & Scalp

PS as much as you can until we get over this Cold Snap

*stay warm*

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Wear a hat :yep:

I wear a big knitted hat that can hold all my hair if I wear it down. I just twist it loosely and fold it in there. It looks okay when I arrive at work if I fluff it a little.

As a matter of fact, I don't go out with wet hair at this time of the year...

LivingInPeace

Don't be out in this cold with no hat on, trying to be cute. I wear my silk scarf, hat, my pashmina over that and my hood over that! It's dangerously cold where I live. I'm not thinking about being cute until I get indoors.

susanzmorg

I also hate wearing hats and I live in Alberta. Its stupid cold here most days.

I usually wear my scarf and my hood up over my hair when I am outside. I have never had frozen hair.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
this happened to me at college too. my wet ponytail used to freeze walking to class. don't mess around and let somebody touch it...your hair will break right off.

braid your hair.....put on scarf and hat.....get to class early....unbraid and style hair.

i do the same thing now at work....i take my scarf off in the lobby.

if you have to walk around campus all day in the cold, put your hair in two braids and put it under a scarf and hat....just buy a cute hat.:grin:

snoop

We're at -14 today (before wind chill) and I have a plastic steam/shower cap under my silk-lined hat. Steam treatment each time I go out and so my hair isn't dried out.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I like when my hair freezes. I mostly wear twists and I like the clinking sounds they make when they freeze and I turn my head. It usually thaws out within minutes of going indoors. I've been letting my hair freeze occassionally for several years now and I haven't noticed any damage as a result. If it's really and issue for you, do as suggested above and cover up.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Frozen hair is never a good thing, it's a sign your hair is dry and being exposed to the cold elements for too long which breaks it off. I never wear my hair out in this type of NYC weather. Always a hat or hood, and protective styling is a must.

Sent from my lavish iPhone