How to make your hair shiny.

Inspiired

Hi,

So last night I posted a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnsH2_NJKZs and I've just seen a comment on it (which I will be answering soon): "Wow - your hair is sparkling! Could you tell me what you have in your hair that makes it sparkle?"

So I thought I'd create this thread and we can all talk about what we do to make our hair shiny and "sparkle"

Consequently in the video, I didn't even intend to make it shiny, let alone sparkle so it was a lovely comment to receive! It's also a comment that I've had before so trying to recall, I remember basically running out of my leave in so I tried to moisturise with a tiny tiny tiny bit of water and an oil, the oil was probably coconut oil or olive oil as I had also run out of every other oil on holiday haha. So yeah, that's it! So simple yet effective :)

What do you do to make your hair shiny or sparkle? :)

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
John Frieda Clear Gloss. It has a low pH so it closes the cuticles and brings the bling. It's a staple.

kimpaur

Olive oil makes my hair shiny....alicia james uses it and shes got the sparkly-est hair ever!

:yep: She's my inspiration for beginning hot oil treatments again. I always thought they were so old school and not really necessary, but looking at her hair, the proof is in the pudding

veesweets

sulks and kicks rocks ... me hair is never shiny :cry:

THIS! My hair will have a great sheen for like an hour and then it just evaporates off or something. I can only get that shine back if I slather on a bunch of oil but then I'm left with really greasy hair. I took that as a sign that my hair texture was never really meant to bling :lol:

KinkyGenius

I think some of it just has to do with the nature of your hair. Some people's hair has a natural sheen/shine (i.e. Alicia James) and others don't no matter what they use on it.

SimJam

THIS! My hair will have a great sheen for like an hour and then it just evaporates off or something. I can only get that shine back if I slather on a bunch of oil but then I'm left with really greasy hair. I took that as a sign that my hair texture was never really meant to bling :lol:

EXACTLY !!!
my hair only looks shiny when im doing a hot oil treatment :lachen:

Ive come to love and accept my non blingy hair tho :kiss:

Dayjoy

Old School Member

This is how I feel about DD's hair. A decent sheen is the most I can hope for, but shine, :nono:.

For both of us, flat ironing gives the most shine. But since that's not often, a little grapeseed, coconut, or safflower oil gives the most shine.

Last edited:

ronie

Claudie s normalizing DC- when used regularly my hair is darker and shinier than it normally is.
SD mocha bling butter to seal right after my leave in conditioner on damp hair. The only butter that does not leave me with greasy hair. I can touch my hair without my fingers looking oily.
So basically as long as i keep my high porosity hair moisturized it is shiny.

HHSJ85

Regla degla shmegla girl from Jerz
Air dried Wet wraps with coconut oil. (No heat)

I used to be able to do it with no problem but now my results are always frizzy hair so I have to use heat.

Holla

Silk wraps or whatever they call it when you wash, roller set, dry, blowout roots, wrap and seal with Saran Wrap for like 10 minutes under hooded dryer. Macherieamour used to do it.

Kindheart

I just used myhoneychild type 4 cream and my hair is SUPER SHINY ! Just wanted to share cuz it's really impressive.