How do I maintain a flexirod set for a few days???

RabiaElaine

In my quest for long hair I am trying to learn and perfect more protctive/low manipulation hairstyles.

Tonight I am going to try a flexirod set with some flexirods I bought months ago and have never used.

I would like to know how to maintain the set for a few days without having my hair look like a birds nest, without manipulating it too much either. My hair is not long yet (see avatar) and its thinnish, I don't know if this makes a difference.

Also any tips from veteran flexirod setters would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

alexstin

My flexirod sets last about a week. That was my protective style for most of last year. I hold my head down and put my satin bonnet on while in that position. Works like a charm!

One thing I started doing when I grew tired of rolling my entire head was to tie a scarf around head and have the back hanging out like when girls wear bandannas. I'd then only put rollers in the part that was hanging out. When it was dry I'd throw on a headband when I needed to go out. A head full of curls with less work.

One other thing, I don't know if you'd like this look since I see very few pictures where people actually finger comb their set. When I take my flexirods out I always fingercomb them. The result is a look like Oprah's been wearing her hair as opposed to the Shirley Temple look. Just another option. :)

Last edited:

RabiaElaine

Thanks girl. Your hair has grown A LOT in since you started in December 2004! Congrats!!

Do you think you've been able to retain this length because of the flexirod sets?

Do you have any recommendations for actually doing the rollerset?

Have you ever airdried it?

alexstin

RabiaElaine said:
Thanks girl. Your hair has grown A LOT in since you started in December 2004! Congrats!!

Do you think you've been able to retain this length because of the flexirod sets?

Do you have any recommendations for actually doing the rollerset?

Have you ever airdried it?

Thanks!!

I think I've been able to retain length because of less heat(only sitting under dryer) and better habits(like deep conditioning weekly). Flexirods were definitely a part of the equation. They saved my life!!!!!:D I literally did them every week from Mar or April 2005 until earlier this year.

I airdry with flexirods alot and sometimes I'll sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes at low to med heat to speed up the process. Results are pretty much the same.

When I first started I would just part my hair down the middle(about 1/2 way) and put in 4 rollers on each side of the part and then do the back. I eventually went to putting 6 rollers on each side for added fullness. I also eventually started using the next size down in the back because it just made the whole set fall so much smoother--remember i finger comb mine--.

Rolling is super easy, just grab a section wrap it around the roller as with regular rollers at least one full revolution and then slant the roller and continue going up, I then bend the ends so that the roller ends up looking like a C in my hair.

It's really hard to mess up a flexirod set and much easier than a traditional set.

Isis

alexstin said:
Thanks!!

I think I've been able to retain length because of less heat(only sitting under dryer) and better habits(like deep conditioning weekly). Flexirods were definitely a part of the equation. They saved my life!!!!!:D I literally did them every week from Mar or April 2005 until earlier this year.

I airdry with flexirods alot and sometimes I'll sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes at low to med heat to speed up the process. Results are pretty much the same.

When I first started I would just part my hair down the middle(about 1/2 way) and put in 4 rollers on each side of the part and then do the back. I eventually went to putting 6 rollers on each side for added fullness. I also eventually started using the next size down in the back because it just made the whole set fall so much smoother--remember i finger comb mine--.

Rolling is super easy, just grab a section wrap it around the roller as with regular rollers at least one full revolution and then slant the roller and continue going up, I then bend the ends so that the roller ends up looking like a C in my hair.

It's really hard to mess up a flexirod set and much easier than a traditional set.[/quote]
Now, your description sounds so easy and I can visualize it too! I have some dusty, purple flexirods somewhere around here and I may try it just to see how it works. Thanks for sharing.:) BTW, have you tried this with hair already dried?

Isis

RabiaElaine said:
In my quest for long hair I am trying to learn and perfect more protctive/low manipulation hairstyles.

Tonight I am going to try a flexirod set with some flexirods I bought months ago and have never used.

I would like to know how to maintain the set for a few days without having my hair look like a birds nest, without manipulating it too much either. My hair is not long yet (see avatar) and its thinnish, I don't know if this makes a difference.

Also any tips from veteran flexirod setters would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

I asked something similar for braidouts, which may help. Besides Alexstin, Pink flower has mastered the flexirod set and shares her tips.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84065

cocowhite

Isis said:
I have some dusty, purple flexirods somewhere around here and I may try it just to see how it works. Thanks for sharing.:) BTW, have you tried this with hair already dried?

Well I know the question wasn't for me, but I just did a dry flexi-rod set last night with a little water/lottabody mixture on the ends and they came out ok, I think, I just updated the curls in my photo.

But great thread, because I was wondering the same think.

Last edited:

alexstin

Isis said:
alexstin said:
Thanks!!

It's really hard to mess up a flexirod set and much easier than a traditional set.[/quote]
Now, your description sounds so easy and I can visualize it too! I have some dusty, purple flexirods somewhere around here and I may try it just to see how it works. Thanks for sharing.:) BTW, have you tried this with hair already dried?

If I need to refresh curls I'll dampen hair and put the roller(s) in for 2 hours.

Isis

cocowhite said:
Isis said:
I have some dusty, purple flexirods somewhere around here and I may try it just to see how it works. Thanks for sharing.:) BTW, have you tried this with hair already dried?

Well I know the question wasn't for me, but I just did a dry flexi-rod set last night with a little water/lottabody mixture on the ends and they came out ok, I think, I just updated the curls in my photo.

But great thread, because I was wondering the same think.
The question was for Alexstin or anyone -- thank you Cocowhite! Your flexirod curls look great! :up:

I have one flexirod in my dry hair right now to see what will happen. It sure was easy to roll up with Alexstin's easy instructions, just a couple of seconds or so. Now if I can just find the rest of my flexirods...

lovelymissyoli

I hope this helps you. I copied it out of my journal so I wouldn't have to re-type it.

Tips for flexi rod styles...

I’ve composed a little question/answer on how I flexirod my hair based upon some of the responses I’ve given to others. Hopefully this can help you if you decide to perform this style.

Q. Can I use flexi rods on wet or dry hair?

A. Personally, I flexi rod hair that is wet. You can do it on dry hair as long as you saturate it with some type of setting lotion.

Q. What products should I use?

A. The products that I use are Lottabody setting solution mixed with a little Suave hairspray (the one that comes in the spray bottle). I started mixing the setting solution as opposed to spraying your hair afterwards with hairspray so that the curls can hold longer and not leave a flaky residue. I’ve also discovered that Motions setting lotion a works really well. It detangles and adds sheen to the curls which leaves gorgeous results!

Q. How do I roll the hair around the rod?

A. This style is fairly easy to do and it’s amazing how well the hair sticks on to the rod. If your ends are the type that unravel quickly, I recommend wrapping your ends around first, and then twist a little more hair around your ends to secure them so they won’t unravel, and then begin rolling in a spiral motion until you reach your scalp. In order to hold down my new growth I tend to twist the flexi rod around one more time to make sure it’s taut enough. Finally, I bend the end of the flexi rod to secure that section of hair.

Q. Which is better, air-drying or sitting under a hooded dryer?

A. When drying your hair you can do a mixture of hooded drying and air-drying! I believe you should always sit under a dryer for sometime because it speeds up the drying process. If you plan to air dry, allow yourself enough time for your roots and the hair on the flexi rods to dry!

Q. How do I maintain this style?

A. From my experience with wearing curly sets, sleeping with a scarf just flattens the style; however, it works for others. Before I go to bed I simply clip the curls up with duckbill clips, spray on some oil sheen, and call it a night. Occasionally I may wear a scarf. In the morning all I have to do is take down the clips and fluff out the curls again --- they’ve still stayed intact during the night!

Q. What happens if some of my curls flatten?

A. You can reset a curl if it looses that tight curly look. Just make sure when you do, you don’t spray the rest of your curls with the setting solution that you use because they’ll go limp as well.

- lovelymissyoli

Also, you can check my album for pictures of my flexi-rod set results (they're in my 2005 album). I hope this helps! :)

RabiaElaine

lovelymissyoli said:
I hope this helps you. I copied it out of my journal so I wouldn't have to re-type it.

Tips for flexi rod styles...

I’ve composed a little question/answer on how I flexirod my hair based upon some of the responses I’ve given to others. Hopefully this can help you if you decide to perform this style.

Q. Can I use flexi rods on wet or dry hair?

A. Personally, I flexi rod hair that is wet. You can do it on dry hair as long as you saturate it with some type of setting lotion.

Q. What products should I use?

A. The products that I use are Lottabody setting solution mixed with a little Suave hairspray (the one that comes in the spray bottle). I started mixing the setting solution as opposed to spraying your hair afterwards with hairspray so that the curls can hold longer and not leave a flaky residue. I’ve also discovered that Motions setting lotion a works really well. It detangles and adds sheen to the curls which leaves gorgeous results!

Q. How do I roll the hair around the rod?

A. This style is fairly easy to do and it’s amazing how well the hair sticks on to the rod. If your ends are the type that unravel quickly, I recommend wrapping your ends around first, and then twist a little more hair around your ends to secure them so they won’t unravel, and then begin rolling in a spiral motion until you reach your scalp. In order to hold down my new growth I tend to twist the flexi rod around one more time to make sure it’s taut enough. Finally, I bend the end of the flexi rod to secure that section of hair.

Q. Which is better, air-drying or sitting under a hooded dryer?

A. When drying your hair you can do a mixture of hooded drying and air-drying! I believe you should always sit under a dryer for sometime because it speeds up the drying process. If you plan to air dry, allow yourself enough time for your roots and the hair on the flexi rods to dry!

Q. How do I maintain this style?

A. From my experience with wearing curly sets, sleeping with a scarf just flattens the style; however, it works for others. Before I go to bed I simply clip the curls up with duckbill clips, spray on some oil sheen, and call it a night. Occasionally I may wear a scarf. In the morning all I have to do is take down the clips and fluff out the curls again --- they’ve still stayed intact during the night!

Q. What happens if some of my curls flatten?

A. You can reset a curl if it looses that tight curly look. Just make sure when you do, you don’t spray the rest of your curls with the setting solution that you use because they’ll go limp as well.

- lovelymissyoli

Also, you can check my album for pictures of my flexi-rod set results (they're in my 2005 album). I hope this helps! :)

Wow thanks!!

Can you explain what you mean my clipping your curls up? Are you saying you pincurl them?? (I'm a little slow :) )