Biotin, Silica or MSM -- does one work better?

Which worked better for your hair?

• Biotin

Votes: 39 24.5%
  • Silica

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • MSM

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • None of them worked for me

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I use them all!

Votes: 66 41.5%

• Total voters

PureSilver

I'm currently using biotin. I get my silica dosage from Mineral Rich and my MSM from both my hair vitamins.

Strong hair. Older stands thickening up and less hairs in my comb and I comb daily; I'm trying to reduce this though once I get a weave done.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I voted: "I use them all" because I think my Hair Vitamins, Collagen and other supplements I take all have some sort of MSM, Silica, Biotin etc.....

Also, I have several hair products that contain them.

julzinha

I take them all but in my honest opinion, I find MSM to be the one supplement that gives my hair a growth boost and it seems not to shed so much, I don't know, it might just be me though.
MSM seems to the most universally beneficial supplement.

ilong

God's Own
@julzinha - that would be by assessment as well. Like @IDareT'sHair - I take other supplements which have all three ingredients, however as I've already posted, my hair appears thicker when I take standalone MSM along with my other supplements. I saw a picture of my hair from 2013 - when I was steadfast on my MSM - and I couldn't believe how thick and long my hair was at the time. I had the same experience in 2010 soon after my hair grew from "clip on phony pony" breakage.

I should be able to validate my theory by December as I have been steadfast on taking MSM daily. I take 8g daily in my protein smoothie.

I take Ultra Botanicals brand - what brand is everyone else taking?

julzinha

@julzinha - that would be by assessment as well. Like @IDareT'sHair - I take other supplements which have all three ingredients, however as I've already posted, my hair appears thicker when I take standalone MSM along with my other supplements. I saw a picture of my hair from 2013 - when I was steadfast on my MSM - and I couldn't believe how thick and long my hair was at the time. I had the same experience in 2010 soon after my hair grew from "clip on phony pony" breakage.

I should be able to validate my theory by December as I have been steadfast on taking MSM daily. I take 8g daily in my protein smoothie.

I take Ultra Botanicals brand - what brand is everyone else taking?
I take Vitacost capsules because from what I've read the best MSM is optimsm and it's sold through a bunch of different companies, such as Kala Health, Doctors Best, and more

ilong

God's Own
@julzinha and @Aggie - you are right OptiMsm is known as the best. I knew/know this and I don't know why I started with Ultra Botanicals - maybe because of the grams per serving. In 2010 I was taking as much as 16g daily- (Stopped because of headaches,insomnia and nightmares) I would have to take too much of the other brands to get that high dosage.

julzinha

@julzinha and @Aggie - you are right OptiMsm is known as the best. I knew/know this and I don't know why I started with Ultra Botanicals - maybe because of the grams per serving. In 2010 I was taking as much as 16g daily- (Stopped because of headaches,insomnia and nightmares) I would have to take too much of the other brands to get that high dosage.
I'm considering trying the flakes. It'll just be cheaper for me and easier to take especially if I want to eventually take around 10,000. What I've found with OptiMSM is that it is effective even at low dosages. I think this is a for life supplement, I've seen effects all over my body including longer, thicker hair, tighter and clearer skin, shorter periods, fuller breast, more energy, better joints, no soreness after exercise. It's like as I increase the dosage the results are better, I just started taking 8,000 and want to move to 10,000 in January.

ilong

God's Own
@julzinha - we are definitely on the same page. I plan to increase my dosage as well. I think I will continue taking the ULtra Botanicals (UB), in the mornings, until I use my last container, but also purchase and take 2g of one othe OptiMSM brands, (afternoon). Some years ago, I read in one study that high dosages of MSM (40g-60g) help treats certain illness (diabetes, high chlolesteral, high blood pressure, etc.). Praise God, I am not afflicted with any of these illnesses, so I don't see myself taking the 40g-60g mega-doses of MSM. I see similar benefits, but I just don't like/need "fuller breasts". :thud:

ilong

God's Own
@nymane - I must admit - in January I fell off the wagon but believe or not this morning - I reached in the fridge and grabbed one of my DIY vitamin packs and started back on my regimen, including taking MSM.

But as I've mentioned in several other posts - I have been taking MSM on and off for many years and it is always beneficial for me.

As a comparison, I can tell you that my skin is not as clear and vibrant, nails are drier, hair is not looking as healthy and not growing as much. However, I can't blame the lack on hair growth on not taking MSM but I do believe it is a contributor.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
So, I chose "I take them all".

The first time I tried biotin and MSM, I didn't see any real growth. But, I tried again starting in January. This time I started eating more protein and exercising. So far, I have a little extra length but more volume. I've also started to regrow my thinning areas. I posted a couple pictures in a thread that shows what this approach did in just two months. https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/how-did-you-know.787057/#post-22518399

Right now I take, biotin 10000, 6000 units MSM and I drink bamboo tea for silica. I also eat two garlic cloves daily.

Last edited:

Harina

I definitely credit bamboo tea in addition to vigorous massaging every night and dermarolling for my hair regrowth in the bald spots. I order my bamboo tea from Nadege. I drink 1 cup every night with honey.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Did your hair ever fill in completely??

BlackRinse

My hair is growing so much after discovering Bamboo Extract (Silica) on this forum. I drink Bamboo leaf tea (2 cups) and take the capsules. I went up from 200 to 600mg daily. When I got a better brand. I re-introduced msm back into my diet as well for health reasons. But I remember msm giving me good results in the past. So can't wait to see the combo effects.

Daina

My hair is growing so much after discovering Bamboo Extract (Silica) on this forum. I drink Bamboo leaf tea (2 cups) and take the capsules. I went up from 200 to 600mg daily. When I got a better brand. I re-introduced msm back into my diet as well for health reasons. But I remember msm giving me good results in the past. So can't wait to see the combo effects.

@BlackRinse, I just started drinking the tea and I'm hoping to see results with it. How long have you been taking the silica supplements and the tea? I use the Beautifully Bamboo brand of the tea. How long before you noticed additional length?

I got good growth and thickness with MSM but had to stop taking as it made my cycle stay on for 4 weeks straight.