Relaxed & highlights

PrettyinPink001

Hey guys, For the Relaxed hair women, how often do you highlight your hair???
I kind of want to start the year off fresh, my last highlight was 6 months ago.:yep:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Not trying to scare you...but I'm just speaking from personal experience. Being double processed (relaxed and having highlights) was the reason I chose to stop relaxing 2 years ago. My hair was snapping off like crazy. I know there are some women that can still do both and grow to long lengths but I wasn't one of those lucky ladies. I still get highlights but only once a year in the summer. I prefer the look of them growing out and having that ombre like effect so I don't mind waiting and doing it annually. 6 months seem like a reasonable time so I don't see why it should be a problem. Please also keep in mind that I get highlights done at the salon so take my advice with a grain of salt. I leave chemicals and heat to my trusted professional hair stylist. HTH

Last edited:

hothair

Unfortunately, I agree with PP I've only highlighted once this year, but the back (without colour) is bra strap and the front just touching shoulder length. It's specifically only the coloured hair, that seems to be breaking off.

I now have to admit the only way of reaching my full wl goal is to highlight every 18 months, since I intend to maintain my texlax/relaxer. Good thing I love ombré.

brownb83

I'm not high lighted but I did dye my hair twice this year. So I am double processed. Things I have learned so far:

* heat is the devil. Lol. I only rollerset I don't use any direct heat on ny hair.

* moisture, moisture, moisture. I moisturize twice a day.

* alternating your protein with your moisture dcs is another must.

* dcing with heat everytime you wash your hair.

* investing in some quality color conditioners .

I think lulu is right about the every six months dying. I think I will do once a year since im not highlighting.

I kinda realized if I'm going to be double processed its double the work.
So I dc with heat twice a week and I'm looking into some higher end conditioners for color treated hair.

I also do a clear rinse once a month to help with porisity issues. And i use porosity control.

Lilmama1011

i used to get my high lights six weeks after relaxing and relax six weeks after that so i was relaxing 12weeks in. my hair never over shedded or broke off

PrettyinPink001

I'm not high lighted but I did dye my hair twice this year. So I am double processed. Things I have learned so far:

* heat is the devil. Lol. I only rollerset I don't use any direct heat on ny hair.

* moisture, moisture, moisture. I moisturize twice a day.

* alternating your protein with your moisture dcs is another must.

* dcing with heat everytime you wash your hair.

* investing in some quality color conditioners .

I think lulu is right about the every six months dying. I think I will do once a year since im not highlighting.

I kinda realized if I'm going to be double processed its double the work.
So I dc with heat twice a week and I'm looking into some higher end conditioners for color treated hair.

I also do a clear rinse once a month to help with porisity issues. And i use porosity control.

Thanks agAin, what are the names to any good colored hair conditioner? I dont know of any.

outspokenwallflower

PrettyinPink001

Some great color depositing conditioners/semi permanents to keep the color fresh:

Alter Ego Passion Fruit conditioners (various colors)
Aveda color conditioners (these are really potent and work wonderfully at keeping color fresh)
Davines Color Conditioners

Sebastian Laminates and Alter Ego Direct Color & Shine are great semi permanent rinses.

s_terry

Thanks ladies! I am just seeing this. Now I am wondering between the La Fior or Alter Ego color shines. I am Alter Ego junky, but can't seem to find any reviews or pics on the internet. :sad: Decisions, Decisions........