Cutcles sticking together?

golden_goddess

The cuticles of my hair seem to be sticking together. Whenver I run my fingers through my hair or comb it, it's like the strands are stuck to each other. Does anyone know why it does this or what I can do to prevent it from happening? TIA

Charla

I had the same problem. It was so bad, I considered it spiderweb matting. What solved it for me is spraying my bare, clean hair that's nearly done air drying with straight aloe vera juice. Then proceed to m&s as usual.

Eta...it's because your cuticles are lifted.

golden_goddess

I figured it's because the cuticles are lifted, so I was considering trying smoothing shampoos & conditioners. Do you think that would help or would the aloe vera juice be a better solution? Where do you purchase your AVJ?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using LHCF

lamaria211

I figured it's because the cuticles are lifted, so I was considering trying smoothing shampoos & conditioners. Do you think that would help or would the aloe vera juice be a better solution? Where do you purchase your AVJ?

Kera Minerals DC hands down best smoothing condish I've ever used!

Nonie

OP, have you tried to do an apple cider vinegar rinse? If you did (make sure the solution is very dilute) you may not need to change your leave-in products.

May I ask what it is you used in your hair before this started to happen?

golden_goddess

Nonie
it pretty much always happens, even with different products. this time it was much worse than normal, even though I used the same poo and condish I used the last 2 washes. Sometimes it happens almost immediately after drying & styling, and other times it may take a couple of days. so I'm not really sure what "triggers" it.

Nonie

@Nonie
it pretty much always happens, even with different products. this time it was much worse than normal, even though I used the same poo and condish I used the last 2 washes. Sometimes it happens almost immediately after drying & styling, and other times it may take a couple of days. so I'm not really sure what "triggers" it.

The reason I'm asking for the products you use is because some products that people think are really good are very harsh. An example is Castille Soap. Makes me think of baby bath and one would think was gentle but it is just the sort of thing that would give you the problem you're talking about.

So do you mind @golden_goddess naming the products you used THIS time? I'm trying to use elimination to help you perhaps lessen the chances of having the problem.

Last edited:

newgrowth15

GOLDEN GODDESS, what worked for me was switching to low sulfate shampoo and sulfate free conditioner. I then rub straight aloe vera gel down my hair strands to pH balance my hair. Lastly, I seal with olive oil and my shea butter/coconut oil whipped mix. No more lifted cuticles--just soft, shiny hair.

golden_goddess

Nonie

creme of nature argan poo
palmers olive oil replenishing cond
optimum heat protectant on ends only
blow dried & flat iron

previous week
same shampoo & cond
chi silk infusion on ends only
blow dried & flat ironed

normally I use aphogee pro vitamin leave in, but skipped it to see how I liked the new conditioner

ive ben having this problem for awhile, and i've used a bunch of different shampoos & conditioners, trying to find a remedy.

Last edited:

Nonie

creme of nature argan poo
palmers olive oil replenishing cond
optimum heat protectant on ends only
blow dried & flat iron

previous week
same shampoo & cond
chi silk infusion on ends only
blow dried & flat ironed

normally I use aphogee pro vitamin leave in, but skipped it to see how I liked the new conditioner

golden_goddess I'll probably be stoned for this, but I think Creme of Nature is da debil! I used to use it. I actually was introduced to it when I first joined the forum. My hair felt so good when it was wet with it, but after rinsing it off, I had steel wool. Really difficult to manage hair. Aaaaand it'd have this grayish hue. Honestly it wasn't until I gave it up that I discovered I actually had soft hair that can hold moisture. I don't know what it is about that shampoo but it sucked for me.

While I'm not a PJ so not exactly the best person to be recommending products (unless we're talking about S Curl in which case I'll preach till I'm blue in the face whether folks wanna hear it or not. Heck I might chase them to finish my sermon if they try to run to get away. :giggle: ), I would like to suggest you replace the CON shampoo with Giovanni 50:50 shampoo. It meet the "sulfate-free" criterion @newgrowth15 recommended. I honestly think that one change will make a difference to you.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I gotta agree with Nonie on that creme of nature...however, I'll go ever further and say the whole line is a POS. Drying, full of all the 'big bads'--sulfates, silicones, pthalates, parabens you name it. Please. Ditch that stuff! It's just drying out your hair...

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
A few things that come to mind for me -
*Product buildup, need to clarify
*Moisturizing and sealing too heavily then trying to comb; let product evapaorte some before combing
*Use lighter hand or lighter products when moisturizing/sealing
*Need a trim vs. a dust
*Porosity issue
*Not using products that is right for your hair

hothair

You need porosity control roux your cuticles are lifted, also conditioners for coloured hair should help with that

Last edited:

MissTripleChoc

Hi girl,

I have this problem also and here is my various ways of tackling it.
1) Cutting down on the use of protein, makes my hair hard and stick together
2) Only using products with a low ph, elasta conditioning sulphate free shampoo and keracare humecto conditioner, porosity control conditioner and apple cider vinegar rinses
3) Being aware of the effect of hard water on my hair, chelating regularly with olive oil root stimulator relaxer and using a shower filter
4) Increasing my intake of iron and fish oils, undernourished hair is dry and tangles easily
5) Using ceramide oils like wheatgerm oil has saved my hair from resembling matted straw

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.
Best wishes x :yep:

Inspiired

Do you used products with silicone?

---- Because You're Worth It ;)
Pretty please vote for me for BGLH Icon of the Year :) http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/12/vote-for-the-2012-bglh-style-icon-of-the-year/ Also please read some more previous posts: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=591027 http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=622227 http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=656937 Length at October:
Jennifer :D www.bootyfurl.co.uk

golden_goddess

hothair
I've tried porosity control before, but it didn't help.

I do use silicones, but only because it's so hard to find conditioners & heat protectants that don't contain them. I also thought that the silicones might help to smooth the cuticles.

I've tried several different poos, including sulfate free ones. But I still have the problem. I'm now starting to think it's a hard water issue (I live in Jax, Florida).

So how do you ladies deal with hard water?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
hothair
I've tried porosity control before, but it didn't help.

I do use silicones, but only because it's so hard to find conditioners & heat protectants that don't contain them. I also thought that the silicones might help to smooth the cuticles.

I've tried several different poos, including sulfate free ones. But I still have the problem. I'm now starting to think it's a hard water issue (I live in Jax, Florida).

So how do you ladies deal with hard water?

golden_goddess

I have low porosity and advise against Roux Porosity if you fall in the low porosity category. Even with low porosity - closed cuticles - my hair would stick together. The things I mentioned above really help to alleviate that issue.

Sprite water filter helps with hard water issues. I purchased mine from Lowe's.

I use PM Super Skinny Serum for my heat protectant and it contains -cones. I find that it provides slip for easier combing but I don't know that it helps the cuticles to lay flat.

temfash

The cuticles of my hair seem to be sticking together. Whenver I run my fingers through my hair or comb it, it's like the strands are stuck to each other. Does anyone know why it does this or what I can do to prevent it from happening? TIA

I used to have this problem my hair used to stick together like velcro was always dry and brittle and never seemed to retain moisture, I used porosity control it worked initially but after a few uses my hair was worse than before. What helped me was washing with ORS aloe shampoo regularly and using ACV diluted with spring water as my final rinse, now my fine 4a/b hair actually feels like hair. I live in the UKs hard water capital.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I just had this issue yesterday. So I trimmed my ends. Last weekend I also blow dried & flatironed, and I now wonder if I may have caused damage. My ends hadn't stuck together like that in years.

golden_goddess

temfash
I was going purchase the ORS poo last time, but didn't because I was putting a black rinse in my hair. Which conditioner do you use? What ratio of ACV & water do you use?

temfash

temfash
I was going purchase the ORS poo last time, but didn't because I was putting a black rinse in my hair. Which conditioner do you use? What ratio of ACV & water do you use?

The conditioner I use is a tricky Question as I'm a bonafide product whore LOL I currently use mane and tail original and alternate with aussie 3 minute miracle reconstructor. I dilute 2 teaspoons of ACV with 3 cups of water.

golden_goddess

Apparently I just needed to clarify, my hair is acting soooo much better. This wash I used:

Suave clarifying poo 1x
CON argan poo 1x
Aphogee 2 min (it says it helps with hard water) I left it on for 45 mins w/o heat
Aphogee pro vitamin leave in
Blow dried
Flat ironed

I haven't implemented the ACV/water rinse yet, but I'm definitely planning to.

I'm realizing that my hair does ok with silicones, I just have to use a sulfate poo with each wash.

Thanks ladies for your input.

amwcah

I just washed my hair and I'm having this issue. I have had it before, but I didn't even think about doing the ACV rinse until I was done. golden_goddess the ACV rinse really did work for me when I used it in the past. I will have to use it on my next wash day.

Based on the previous comments, I may need to ditch my CON shampoo.

ETA
Does anyone know of a product I can use on dry hair since I already went through the trouble of flat ironing my hair?

Last edited: