No Lye to Lye switch (((Help)))

cookie1

I have been using No Lye relaxers for the past year or so. :nono: I'm noticing how dry it makes my hair and how bad it's shedding. I do protein treatments, deep condition, etc. I think I need to switch back to a lye relaxer even though my scalp don't care for them. Have anyone did a no lye to lye switch and how did it go? How long did you wait? I know it's not advised but, I don't think I can keep doing the no lye.:perplexed

hothair

I've been using phyto 1 for 18months now with no issues at all and my hair is a honey blonde colour at the moment.

Evolving78

do you use a chelating shampoo to remove buildup from your hair and scalp? when using no lye relaxers, that is a must. no lye causes coating and build up over time. try that before you switch,

but if you decide to switch to lye, make sure you have enough new growth and base your scalp really well.

i'm thinking of switching to no lye for my next relaxer.

cookie1

Hi shortdub
I don't really use a chelating poo. How often do you suggest this? I actually prefer the no lye because of how gentle it is on my scalp.

Evolving78

Hi shortdub
I don't really use a chelating poo. How often do you suggest this? I actually prefer the no lye because of how gentle it is on my scalp.

cookie1
once a month. it's just like clarifying. it removes minerals and buildup from hard water as well.

i have the Mizani Butter Blends Chelating/neutralizing shampoo. i use this once a month because we have hard water.

Lilmama1011

cookie1 said:
Hi shortdub

Shortdub78 is right, a chelating shampoo will take of that, if the no lye is more gentle don't switch!. A lye relaxer is more stronger and that's why some do a protein treatment right after relaxing or a week later to get back the strength they lost. With a no lye relaxer it coats your hair with mineral deposits and you can't just rinse that off with plain water or regular shampoo(some people have hard water anyways and that deposits mineral on the hair as well so that's why you can't just rinse it off with water) and mineral deposits actually attaches itself to your hair and only chelating shampoos can remove these deposits. So next time you use your no lye relaxer you just neutralize after and then chelate. Some will say that doing both will damage your hair but it doesn't, not rinsing the deposits will. And just deep condition very well after and if you can do a over night treatment, its that simple. I use no lye as well

cookie1

@cookie1
once a month. it's just like clarifying. it removes minerals and buildup from hard water as well.

i have the Mizani Butter Blends Chelating/neutralizing shampoo. i use this once a month because we have hard water.

I have that same shampoo so I'll try this and wait before I switch. Thanks so much!!! I have been doing co washes so should I be shampoo washing at least once a week?

cookie1

Shortdub78 is right, a chelating shampoo will take of that, if the no lye is more gentle don't switch!. A lye relaxer is more stronger and that's why some do a protein treatment right after relaxing or a week later to get back the strength they lost. With a no lye relaxer it coats your hair with mineral deposits and you can't just rinse that off with plain water or regular shampoo(some people have hard water anyways and that deposits mineral on the hair as well so that's why you can't just rinse it off with water) and mineral deposits actually attaches itself to your hair and only chelating shampoos can remove these deposits. So next time you use your no lye relaxer you just neutralize after and then chelate. Some will say that doing both will damage your hair but it doesn't, not rinsing the deposits will. And just deep condition very well after and if you can do a over night treatment, its that simple. I use no lye as well

I will definitely chelate after relaxing also. I live in Iowa and the water here is the worse. As for deep conditioning, I was doing it and was even changing up products and i was still getting all this breakage. What are some of the deep conditioners you use? I have some good ones so I just knew it was the relaxer. Thanks so much!!!

Lilmama1011

I will definitely chelate after relaxing also. I live in Iowa and the water here is the worse. As for deep conditioning, I was doing it and was even changing up products and i was still getting all this breakage. What are some of the deep conditioners you use? I have some good ones so I just knew it was the relaxer. Thanks so much!!!

Aubrey organics Rosa mosqueta and I just recently purchased from sallys miracle 7 which turned out to be so moisturizing, but usually when your conditioners stop working you have to clarify or chelate because you have build up. I also have department store brand Aussie moist which doesnt do anything but I will probably pre poo to get rid of it or shave with it lol

Kinky4Agirl

In my experience with lye and no lye.. They are both about the same. The only difference is that the no lye is harsh on your hair, and the lye is harsh on your scalp. I use the lye relaxers because my scalp is fine as long as I wash it out when I am supposed to.

Evolving78

since you are cowashing, you need a sulfate shampoo (depending on if your conditioner has cones) to remove buildup. remember you are only suppose to cleanse your hair with cowashing, not the scalp. conditioners coat the hair. i would suggest once a week or every other week you use a shampoo.

cookie1

In my experience with lye and no lye.. They are both about the same. The only difference is that the no lye is harsh on your hair, and the lye is harsh on your scalp. I use the lye relaxers because my scalp is fine as long as I wash it out when I am supposed to.

This has also been the only difference with me. So I stick to no lye because my scalp burns with lye relaxers even after coating it w/ vaseline.

cookie1

since you are cowashing, you need a sulfate shampoo (depending on if your conditioner has cones) to remove buildup. remember you are only suppose to cleanse your hair with cowashing, not the scalp. conditioners coat the hair. i would suggest once a week or every other week you use a shampoo.

I only started cowashing because I wanted to see if my hair benefit from it instead of shampooing. I'm wearing wigs to keep heat off so I thought doing a co wash once a week would be a good addition. I was trying to retain moisture but, I guess I was causing more buildup? As for sulfates? Do most shampoo's contain sulfates? And the ones w/o them, don't they usually say sulfate-free? I need to go read mine because even though i have the Mizani (Chelating) one, I'm not sure what my others are. I will go back to washing once a week and deep conditioning and not worry about the cowashing for now unless I really have to.

So will all Chelating Poo's say that or are there certain ingredients I'm looking for?

cookie1

I just noticed my suave humectant poo have some same ingredients as Mizani hair bath. Does it make Suave a poo I can use 2 chelate?

Evolving78

I just noticed my suave humectant poo have some same ingredients as Mizani hair bath. Does it make Suave a poo I can use 2 chelate?

cookie1
no. it's not the same. the product should state what it will produce. so if it is a chelating shampoo, it will state that clear as day. all shampoos are not created equal. you can use the humectant poo on a weekly basis to remove minor product buildup. a sulfate free shampoo will state it is sulfate free, plus it will not be an ingredient in the list.

venusfly

I switched from No-Lye to Lye with no daverse effects after having used No-Lye for a few years. I just waited until I had a good deal of new growth, then relaxed as usual with the Lye relaxer and continued to care for my hair with my usual rhair care egimen.

Rnjones

I am toying with the idea of switching from no lye to lye and have been researching heavily. I came across a post on another board that said for the initial lye application, you should relax the new growth AND previously no lye relaxed hair as if it was a virgin application and further touch ups new growth only. Is this true? Any converters try this?

Thanks!

Rnjones

So I am toying with idea of switching from no lye to lye and have been researching heavily. I came across a post on another board that said when switching you should apply the lye relaxer to the whole head (new growth AND length) as if it was a virgin application and then future touch ups new growth only. Has any tried this? Successful or no?

Thanks.

Rnjones

So I am toying with idea of switching from no lye to lye and have been researching heavily. I came across a post on another board that said when switching you should apply the lye relaxer to the whole head (new growth AND length) as if it was a virgin application and then future touch ups new growth only. Has any tried this? Successful or no?

Thanks.

Sorry for the double post