Oh Crap! I overdid it with the protein >> suggestions please.

AFashionSlave

Hey ya'll veteran Napp checkin in.

I hate dry ends, so I always trim them WAY too much when they start to look a little nuts. I'm happy with my currently length, but I thought that I would try to get to waist length. I'm working to get over being so scissor happy when I get to bra strap length.

Last night my ends were super dry, so I gave myself and aphogee and deep condition. NOW MY HAIR IS CRISPIER THAN EVER! I overdid it with the protein.

Have you ever overdone it with the protein treatments?
What did you do to get the moisture back into your hair?
How long did it take to get your hair back to normal?
What products did you use to do this?

:thankyou: in advance.

Blessedwithabundance14

I just had this happen this past Saturday and boy was it ugly. I hate matting and hair just coming out when I ran my fingers through it. I did a dc with Silk Elements Moisture and left it in over night. I then did a co-wash with AOHSR and then my Shea butter and oil concoction after I rinsed it out. My hair is just starting to get back to normal. Never again will I use Shea Moisture Products. Too much protein for my hair. I had to do like 3 to 4 dc treatments to get my hair back to feeling normal.

AFashionSlave

I just had this happen this past Saturday and boy was it ugly. I hate matting and hair just coming out when I ran my fingers through it. I did a dc with Silk Elements Moisture and left it in over night. I then did a co-wash with AOHSR and then my Shea butter and oil concoction after I rinsed it out. My hair is just starting to get back to normal. Never again will I use Shea Moisture Products. Too much protein for my hair. I had to do like 3 to 4 dc treatments to get my hair back to feeling normal.

Yes, I have a feeling this this will not be an overnight fix. It's crunchy as hell! I guess I may have to do some overnight conditioning.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Hello there!

I'm kinda having the same issue as far as the crispy ends are concerned. My ends feel super dry and I did an overnight treatment the other night. Steam treatments usually work well for me. Have you tried them? I'm gonna do one tonight myself.

janeemat

Did you uses aphoghee 2 step or just the 2min reconstructor? The 2 step needs to be followed with good moisturizing deep cond. Kenra Moisturizing Deep Cond is excellent. I have also heard Keracare Humecto is great but have not used it.

AFashionSlave

Did you uses aphoghee 2 step or just the 2min reconstructor? The 2 step needs to be followed with good moisturizing deep cond. Kenra Moisturizing Deep Cond is excellent. I have also heard Keracare Humecto is great but have not used it.

I used the 2 step & I followed it with a good moisturizing conditioner, but I obviously need to condition again.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Another vote for Kenra Moisturizing conditioner.

Ogoma

I had this two weekends ago from a full strength henna treatment. I have given up on getting reddish hair from henna and will stick to henna glosses from now on. My hair felt plasticky while wet and hard when dry. I co-washed a couple of times, DCed as normal, and used QB CTDG and my DC as a leave-in, all the while handling it very carefully, to get it back to normal.

AFashionSlave

Hilarious, I just looked back at some of my old topics on this board. I've posted this dry hair topic a few times over the years. I guess it's time for me to get over this hurdle. LOL!

AFashionSlave

I had this two weekends ago from a full strength henna treatment. I have given up on getting reddish hair from henna and will stick to henna glosses from now on. My hair felt plasticky while wet and hard when dry. I co-washed a couple of times, DCed as normal, and used QB CTDG and my DC as a leave-in, all the while handling it very carefully, to get it back to normal.

and I mostly lurk on this board. I don't post much can you translate.
What is QB and CTDG?

AFashionSlave

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments. I deep conditioned overnight by mixing some conditioner, with olive oil, veggie glycerine, coconut oil, and grape seed oil. My hair feels fantastic.

Nonie

Hey ya'll veteran Napp checkin in.

I hate dry ends, so I always trim them WAY too much when they start to look a little nuts. I'm happy with my currently length, but I thought that I would try to get to waist length. I'm working to get over being so scissor happy when I get to bra strap length.

Last night my ends were super dry, so I gave myself and aphogee and deep condition. NOW MY HAIR IS CRISPIER THAN EVER! I overdid it with the protein.

AFashionSlave, I haven't read the other responses so I apologize if this is redundant, but when you have DRY ends, that's not a sign that you need protein. That's a sign that you need MOISTURE. :spank:

Have you ever overdone it with the protein treatments?

Never, because I avoid pure protein treatments like the plague. I stick to reconstructors which are products that contain both moisture and protein and so I never have to worry about "balance". I get it every time I DC.

What did you do to get the moisture back into your hair?

N/A
How long did it take to get your hair back to normal?

N/A

What products did you use to do this?

I still to products like Nexxus Emergencée, Aubrey's GPB. With GPB, I can use it as a regular conditioner and not need to follow with a moisturizing conditioner if I like; it's that gentle. With Emergencée, I follow instructions to a T. Well, the old instructions that said to leave it on for 10 mins after a shampoo then I follow it with a Therappé shampoo and then Humectress conditioner or deep conditioning treatment.

Considering I don't use moisturizers, I should be someone who suffers from "imbalance" ie not enough moisture, but it's never happened. Reconstructors are time savers and hair savers. Makes haircare a breeze. Never understood why anyone would want to keep playing Russian roulette with pure protein.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
You need to moisturizer with a good moisturizing DC. I agree with what Nonie said, Aubrey's is good and leave the protein alone. Your hair is natural. You shouldn't need much protein, you need more moisture. I too use reconstructors and it makes a difference.

AFashionSlave

AFashionSlave, I haven't read the other responses so I apologize if this is redundant, but when you have DRY ends, that's not a sign that you need protein. That's a sign that you need MOISTURE. :spank:

Never, because I avoid pure protein treatments like the plague. I stick to reconstructors which are products that contain both moisture and protein and so I never have to worry about "balance". I get it every time I DC.

N/A

N/A

I still to products like Nexxus Emergencée, Aubrey's GPB. With GPB, I can use it as a regular conditioner and not need to follow with a moisturizing conditioner if I like; it's that gentle. With Emergencée, I follow instructions to a T. Well, the old instructions that said to leave it on for 10 mins after a shampoo then I follow it with a Therappé shampoo and then Humectress conditioner or deep conditioning treatment.

Considering I don't use moisturizers, I should be someone who suffers from "imbalance" ie not enough moisture, but it's never happened. Reconstructors are time savers and hair savers. Makes haircare a breeze. Never understood why anyone would want to keep playing Russian roulette with pure protein.

Don't spank me Nonie, My ends were cripsy and brittle enough to break so I did a protein treatment. Im in new territory here. I am actually trying to grow my hair past bra strap length without cutting it. Nonie, you have virtually known me for years and you know I have issues that I have issues with the scissors LOL!

Nonie

Don't spank me @Nonie, My ends were cripsy and brittle enough to break so I did a protein treatment. Im in new territory here. I am actually trying to grow my hair past bra strap length without cutting it. Nonie, you have virtually known me for years and you know I have issues that I have issues with the scissors LOL!

AFashionSlave, scissors aren't the debil. You just need to write on your calendar spaced out appointments with them so that you only use them at those time. This is known as regular dusting.

About brittle ends... You know how brittle uncooked spaghetti is? Yet when it's soaked in hot water it becomes less easy to break? Same thing here. BRITTLE means dry. And brittle also means TOO LATE and your ends are damaged so cutting them off is best. Strands that have lost their mass will break so putting on a bandaid isn't going to fix them. If anything, it'll just give the tear time to grow long enough to affect more of your length. Coz what you're dealing with are ends that look something like this:

Of course these pieces of an end are not strong enough to hold on...so you get broken pieces. But notice where the tear starts, it's not stopping there...and as they break on their own, they open up that fork even more. If you cut them off yourself, you can cut beyond the fork and thus end up with full strong ends.

If you are doing everything right and you're still getting breakage, it means one of two things:

• you didn't remove all the splits the last time you trimmed;
  • you have waited too long to trim and so your ends have succumbed to the trials of time and age and splits WHICH CAN NEVER BE ERADICATED have grown to a point where their effect on your ends is noticeable. So you need to adjust your dusting schedule and dust more frequently.
For dry ends, you need moisture. For breaking ends, you need to cut off beyond where the breakage is occuring. Like if you're seeing 1/2 inch pieces, the cut off 3/4 inches from your ends...and then dust off a tiny amount in about 8 weeks. You'll find you won't be seeing breakage as much if you keep a regular dusting schedule that isn't dependent on what you see but more like a maintenance so you never have to see it. It being breakage.

People use protein to strengthen hair, but I don't think protein will fix damage. It may cover it up for a bit but in the end, nature will take its course and the pieces will break off.

Kurlee

do an overnight dc with olive oil added. it helps me when i get protein overloaded. Don't try to seperate it or anything. Wait till you rinse out the DC

AFashionSlave

Nonie, my ends were not breaking. They just seemed dry and crispy and I didn't wan them to break, so I reached for the old standby >>>Aphogee my ends are not split & they don't look damaged. They are just dry.

Nonie

@AFashionSlave, (Please mention me by typing @ right before my name so I know when you addressed me)

If your ends were dry and crispy, then MOISTURE is what they needed. Did you forget LHCF 101? You can't just grab Aphogee whenever you see a problem. You have to address the problem. Hair will break if it is dry...but that doesn't mean protein is the solution. The problem is DRY. So the solution would be something that stops it from being dry, not something that worsens the problem. Protein makes hair feel dry which is why people always follow it with moisture. So if you hair is ALREADY dry even before the protein, clearly you shouldn't have used protein at all. Protein isn't the only thing that can prevent breakage. Moisture can too!

I think you confused your problem with the case where hair is over-moisturized and mushy and easy to snap. In this case, reaching for protein not moisture would've been the right thing. But when hair is dry--as was your problem--the last thing you need is protein.

Last edited:

AFashionSlave

Nonie I didn't confuse anything I was just doing what I've always done. I've been natural for over 15 years and Aphogee always worked in the past to fix this type of issue. The only difference now is that I am not trimming the way I used to. For the first time ever i've decided to "really" make an effort to grow out my hair past my bra strap. The hair at my ends is just older than its ever been and I'm now dealing with the dryness instead of cutting it off.

greenandchic

AFashionSlave - I remember you from WAY back in the day at NP.com. Like 2003 or something like that. :D

I overdid it with Aphogee as well. Parts of my hair was a crispy mess when I was done. Some things that helped:

Overnight conditioning with oils added to it
GHE baggy overnight
1 tbsp of salt in conditioner to loosen up the protien - at least it felt like it did

Now I only use light protien and henna if I need strength. When I do use protein conditioners, I spot treat my hair with it. The crown may need it, but not the back and front since I have many different textures (not just curl patterns) in my hair.

AFashionSlave

greenandchic said:
AFashionSlave - I remember you from WAY back in the day at NP.com. Like 2003 or something like that. :D

I overdid it with Aphogee as well. Parts of my hair was a crispy mess when I was done. Some things that helped:

Overnight conditioning with oils added to it
GHE baggy overnight
1 tbsp of salt in conditioner to loosen up the protien - at least it felt like it did

Now I only use light protien and henna if I need strength. When I do use protein conditioners, I spot treat my hair with it. The crown may need it, but not the back and front since I have many different textures (not just curl patterns) in my hair.

Thank u. I'll try spot treatments when I need them & yeah that was me from np. I don't post much anymore. I usually just lurk.

Nonie

@Nonie I didn't confuse anything I was just doing what I've always done. I've been natural for over 15 years and Aphogee always worked in the past to fix this type of issue. The only difference now is that I am not trimming the way I used to. For the first time ever i've decided to "really" make an effort to grow out my hair past my bra strap. The hair at my ends is just older than its ever been and I'm now dealing with the dryness instead of cutting it off.

Hmm.... @AFashionSlave, well that's a first for me. Because besides just experience and evidence from others, logic just tells me that protein would not moisturize hair. It may help hair hold moisture better...but if hair is already dry, I would expect moisture to be the thing one would reach for. A reconstructor would bring in both elements and be a better choice. But pure protein? I just don't see that happening. And if it did in the past, then it did.

If your ends are older than ever and that dry, doesn't that tell you that your cuticle may be worn? I mean why would they be that dry unless due to wear and tear, they lost their cuticle to an extent that moisture loss becomes so easy. I mean, you besides the dusting, I'm guessing the rest of your regimen hasn't changed, right? Also if you were dusting more frequently, it means you probably were getting rid of damage at the start so that you were having whole strands with cuticle intact so that moisture loss and dryness was never a problem.

But cutting doesn't have to lose you length. I break a lot of the rules of good haircare. Haven't added moisture to my hair since August 2009. I never seal. I don't PS. Only thing I do right is I wash and DC...and until fairly recently when I just lost all care, I was baggying religiously. Now I have cat hair and ish in my hair coz I can't even be bothered to cover my head before bed. :look: Anyway, my point is, that even with this very meh attitude where I should be stuck at SL, the fact that I don't let natural wear and tear from the ends get to where the hair breaks off in big chunks has helped me get to BSB...or I should say, my nape get to BSB.

So IMO it's not the cutting that the problem; it's how much you cut that might've been your problem for not making progress. My only concern is if you're having moisture loss at the ends...and it's due to cuticle damage, if you leave those ends there and try to baby them, they'll break off on their own...coz splits are like a cancer. If you don't take the tumor out when it's small, it'll take over and bring a demise to your ends.

AFashionSlave

greenandchic said:
I haven't been there in ages; probably about 7 or so years now...

greenandchic I post there maybe once a year or so. Years ago, dee cracked down on the craziness going on over there. She wanted to make it a pleasant place for women who are trying to go natural. Once the craziness stopped the board wasn't as entertaining. Lol!

AFashionSlave

Kurlee said:
do an overnight dc with olive oil added. it helps me when i get protein overloaded. Don't try to seperate it or anything. Wait till you rinse out the DC

I did this. I added oils to my normal conditioner and kept it in overnight. My hair feels pretty awesome today.